Photo

Mirena IUC and acne?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
34 replies to this topic

#1 Fisker731

Fisker731

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

I started using a type of birth control called Mirena, an IUC, about six months ago. Although I've always had issues with acne, I couldn't help but notice that my skin has gotten significantly worse since I started using the IUC. I started using Dan's regimine about a month and a half ago, and nothing has changed. I have huge cysts on my chin and forehead, and smaller pimples on my cheeks. Has anyone else seen an increase in acne after using Mirena? Will it ever subside? Any tips on how to treat my acne? I really like Mirena and don't want to switch my method of birth control if I can get my skin under control.

#2 JennaBabe

JennaBabe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2007 - 02:04 PM

It could be the hormones in it. Just like BC pills, some people can't tolerate the hormones. I've been on many different pills, and have finally found the right hormone combination for my body. It just is unfortunate that IUC's aren't like that- they don't make different kinds, so if your body doesn't like the hormones in the Mirena, there's no other hormone combination you can try. You could, however, try the Paraguard IUD, which contains no hormones if you decide that you want and IUD/IUC but can't tolerate the hormones.
MY REGIMEN LOG: http://www.acne.org/...howtopic=182678

*22-year-old female

My Current Regimen:

Morning:
Pond's Cucumber Exfoliating Clean Sweep Face Wipes
or
Johnson & Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash if I take a shower
Nucelle 10% Mandelic Acid (now starting to incorporate the 15% also)
Fruit of the Earth Aloe mixed with Cerave Moisturizing Lotion

Night:
Pond's Cucumber Exfoliating Clean Sweep Face Wipes
or
Johnson & Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash if I take a shower
Dickenson's Witch Hazel Toner (only if I wore makeup that day)
Green Cream Level 6 (or 3 if I have irritation)
Fruit of the Earth Aloe mixed with Cerave Moisturizing Lotion if needed

Baby Brush exfoliation every day or every other day in the shower.

Apri Birth Control Pill (generic of Desogen)

#3 mommajen

mommajen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

I had the Mirena IUD for almost 2 years after having my daughter. While nursing my acne was okay but once I stopped it was horrible. I had large cystic acne especially around my jawline that wouldn't go away. I eventually just decided to get it out. On their own website they say something about it increasing acne in people who are already prone to it. If you search around the internet you'll see a lot of posts about this I have two cousins who had mirena as well and also had a great increase in acne. I eventually decided I'd had enough and got it taken out. My acne is not as bad but it is still definately here. One of my cousins got hers out too and had her acne clear up. It is an easy form of bc but that depends if you can handle the increased acne. For me it wasn't worth it. Good luck with whatever you decide to do !!!

Jenny

#4 Jenstar

Jenstar

Jenstar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

I didn't notice it affecting my acne but after about a year I started developing recurrent thrush. I had 8 bouts within 5 months. I got it taken out and haven't had thrush since. When the doctor removed it, he showed it to me and it was covered in blood and mucus (sorry to be gross) - he believed in my case it was definitely causing the thrush as normally they come out clean.
See my log:
Jenstar's quest for clear skin using mandelic acid
http://www.acne.org/...p...=182630&hl=

#5 melanieg1028

melanieg1028

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hi

I am 31 years old and after I had my kids I decided to get the Mirena IUD 2 years ago bc I was afraid that I would forget to take the BC pills and did not want to get pregnant again. Before I had my kids I was on Ortho Tri Cyclen (the regular version) and had beautiful skin ( I received compliments all the time and had very few breakouts, god I miss those days)

Although I love the IUD bc I have not had a period in over 1 year the last two years I have had constant breakouts month after month mainly in my Tzone area and the last 6 months it has gotten worse- to the point of not wanting to show my face at work, not wanting to take my kids places especially to the swimming pool (that is the worse)- it has made me more depressed than I have been in a long time

The other day it finally came to me after finding this wonderful website that I more than likely am suffering from hormonal acne so I went in and saw my OBGYN. That made sense to me that is why nothing topical was working (I have tried everything bc something on the inside is messed up)

He agreed with me that I am definitely suffering from hormonal acne so he prescribed the Vivedelle Estrogen Patch bc the Mirena IUD is estrogen free and estrogen and progestrine help regulate how much oil you produce

I have been on the patch for about 2 weeks now and the 1st week it broke out pretty badly again especially on my forehead but it is clearing up now luckily. But bc of this website I saw some people talking about Nature's Cure pills available at any drugstore in the acne aisle and the luck they had with it to clear up stuff on the inside of your body and it claims to be completely safe. The patch was starting to give me headaches and made my breasts very tender so I figured I would give it a shot- you take one pill morning and at night and the pills are pretty cheap for a 30 day supply. Check out www.naturescure.com to read more info

I also decided to try a new cleanser Purpose bc it is the most gentle stuff available on the market and doesn't clog pores. I had been using Neutrogen Oil Free Acne wash that contains the saliycic acid but the other day it hit me do I really want to use acid every day on my face bc my face is so dry especially during the winter time.

I figure I can always go back to the patch if the pills don't work but I would rather take something that is safe than risk using something that may cause uterine cancer.

With 100% certainity believe the IUD triggers adult breakouts....I am not willing to part with it bc I am extremely fertile and don't want to get pregnant but at least there are some options out there that I wanted to share with you guys... I have learned so much from this website, I am completely hooked and can sympathize what you are going thru trust me- Acne is a disease and I wish someone would find a cure soon. It makes me cringe every time I think about it which I do every single day. Here I am at work thinking about it again!

Good Luck everyone! I will write back in 30 days on my progress with the Nature's Cure pills and let you know if it is working. I am saying my prayers it will!

Melanie

#6 LadyLol

LadyLol

heyyy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

I have found that all homonal BC messes with my skin...

Has anyone with acne-prone issues tried Paraguard (the copper IUD)?? I am highly interested but nervous that this one 'might' indirectly cause hormone issues (as opposed to hormonal BC which directly affects your hormones).

The copper IUD works by creating an inflammatory response which causes you to secrete prostaglandins and leukocytes which are hostile to sperm, egg, etc... My question: Does this inflammatory response have an effect on other inflammatory problems (ie. acne!!)???

DKR + Jojoba Oil as Make-up Remover
Use ≈106°F water to wash face
Limited amounts of Dairy and Caffeine
Fish Oil, Zinc, & Taurine
EDM

#7 momiji_girl

momiji_girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:17 AM

I've had a copper IUD for 4 years now. I really, really don't think it has done anything to my skin at all. I did have it put in before adult-onset acne but I can't see it playing any role in my developing acne after 30.

The inflammatory response has for me meant breakthrough bleeding and different menstrual cramps, and no babies, but that's it.

Finished 40mg Accutane/day, 7-month course on 28 Feb 2012

Morning
  • wash with cetaphil gentle cleanser
  • moisturize with cetaphil daily moisturizer
  • apply high SPF sunblock
Night
[*]wash with cetaphil gentle cleanser
[*]differin gel, wait a while and then
[*]moisturize with cetaphil daily moisturizer

drink LOTS of water, eat at least 7 serves of fruit and veg everyday, lots of nuts and fish and just say no to processed/junk foods

#8 klousmomi

klousmomi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

I also have the Mirena IUD noticed ALOT more acne than I had before. I used to get a pimple here and there but nothing to be concerned about. Now I have them all over my chin and forehead, huge ones! I hav tried Differin Gel and now my derm wants me to go on accutane but I am affraid that will ruin the affectiveness of my IUD. Anyone have any advise? I have tried all over the counter meds and Differin and now I'm just stuck and miserable.

#9 titosmommy

titosmommy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Dont know about accutane and Paraguard but I am sure glad that I took out the Mirena. It was causing me to have worse acne (cysts - hormonal). I am in the process of clearing up the damage it caused for 3 years. Its just not worth it. I had the doctor take out the mirena in the beginning of december and put in the paraguard. so far no new breakouts with the copper. your acne will get worse on the mirena, mine did and i didnt know why for years!

#10 gigia555

gigia555

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

hi,

i am suffering from a similar situation at the moment as i started the mirena about 6 months ago, and have now developed quite bad acne... but i still don't want to remove the mirena as i am very happy with it other than the acne part. so i was just wondering if the 'nature cure' pills that you took had any effect?

thanks!!

#11 Bokkie

Bokkie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:52 AM

Gigia, Ive got an appointment on Monday to have mine removed, Ill keep you posted on my progress, hopefully full recovery...

Good luck!
Skin Care: As little as possible...

#12 acnetroubles50158

acnetroubles50158

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:43 AM

I have used Mirena for about 2 years now and yes a lot of problems with acne have emerged. I have tried Proactive with no success just dried out skin but the one cleaner i have found is Acnexus all natural no chemicals and wow the results where great and its easy on the wallet. Proactive makes you automatically renew , Acnexus doesnt, great stuff and only 1 step, proactive three or four. I have had the cysts too and the breakout on my cheeks where i didnt before so try this one if you dont want to remove your Mirena or cant. eusa_dance.gif

#13 vpm

vpm

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Achievements

Posted 02 April 2009 - 01:15 PM

I have had the mirena for a month and am getting it removed tomorrow. I haven't had skin trouble (yet), but I hate it. I am tired all the time and all sorts of other problems. I am pissed because I wanted the copper one and all the docs convinced me the hormones in mirena would only effect the tissue about an inch on all sides of it - totally wrong!
I have all sorts if crazy symptoms, except the ones I was told I might get like cramping.
I asked a lot of questions about the hormones too because I was worried about my skin, so I am pretty pissed that NONE of my symptoms were mentioned at all.
Information is the key to making good decisions - share what you know with others.

As of October 2011
Rx: Doxycyclin, Differin, Plexion

Likas Papaya soap, Sulphur & SA soap
Vicco turmeric cream (with sandalwood)
PCA skin A&C and Hydrating serums, Perfecting Protection (sunscreen)
Vitamin C powder
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Makeup: Tarte Smooth operator liquid & stick blush, and different mineral makeups (BE, Philosophy, Alima, Bobby Brown, Clinique...)

Dermarolling

combo/oily - sensitive/allergic - light/med olive - very PIH prone

#14 harmonyv

harmonyv

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

I just wanted to add my experience and warn people about Mirena and acne. I have battled acne since I was 10 years old (I'm now in my early 30's) and after using Accutane twice and sticking to a strict daily routine of acne products, I've been mostly clear the last few years. That was until I got a Mirena IUD. Within a week of putting it in, I started getting terrible, huge breakouts, and they were getting increasingly worse in the next couple of months, to the point where I was getting scared that I would have to go in for a third round of Accutane. On a hunch, I looked up Mirena and acne, and found a lot of people having the same issues. I talked to my doctor about it, and they assured me that the hormones in Mirena could not leave the uterus. I made them take it out anyway, and my skin cleared right up. During that same time, my sister had terrible acne, the worst in her life (and it was a battle for decades for her also) and went onto Accutane, which wasn't even working for her on the highest dosage they could give her. She had the Mirena in for a year by the time I had mine taken out and my skin cleared up so quickly, so I convinced her to take her Mirena out also. Her skin also cleared right up, and has been clear since, but the really sad thing is that one year on Mirena has permanently scarred her face. If anyone gets acne with Mirena, have it taken out, it does not get better until you take it out, and it's not worth ruining your face over, try a different method of birth control. Also, I never got acne from any of the many birth control pills I used, and I also didn't get acne while I was pregnant, so I think that the hormones in Mirena do affect some people really differently than other hormonal forms of birth control, and even the hormones of pregnancy.

#15 22jayjay

22jayjay

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

I'm all teary eyed reading these posts, finally finding people who know what I am going through! Mirena is terrific BC, but SOOOO horrible for my face. I first had acne at age 17 when I started college (u know the drill -- gained 15 pounds, high stress, little sleep.) My face saw slight improvement with Proactive in my late 20s, but not as much as I wanted. Almost clear skin during pregnancy and breastfeeding during my 30s. But those days don't last forever and the acne came back. At age 38 I went on a very low-cal diet to lose a few post-baby pounds. After about a month I realized I wasn't breaking out. But I couldn't stay on a super low-cal diet forever. I started eating normally when I reached my weight goal, and the acne came back. I got Mirena at age 41 and my Tzone exploded -- worse than ever. I tried the low-cal diet again, but it hasn't made a smidge of difference. I started Nature's Cure am/pm pill thing. Weeks 2-3 I saw a difference, but it was short lived. Weeks 4-6 have been just as bad as ever, if not worse. After reading this thread tonight, I think Mirena needs to go. Seriously people, it's been 24 years. My head is spinning from all the attempts and false hopes. I hope this isn't another one. But, I'm the eternal optimist, so my plan is:
  • DH to get a snip snip V, so I can get rid of Mirena.
  • I will go back on the low glycemic, low cal diet
  • I will try the Regimen.

I'm too old for this!!!

#16 tiffany m

tiffany m

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

Mirena is a progestin form of birth control. Progestin is an androgen, and when the body has excess androgens, they are converted to DHT (a form of testosterone). This hormone is known to cause breakouts, and that's why people experience acne while on Mirena.

My dermatologist also told me that women become more sensitive to androgens as we age, which is why adult acne becomes problematic and some women get (gasp) facial hair.

ANYhow...after a 3 month course of doxycycline and Retin A, she added spironolactone to my regimen. Spironolactone works by inhibiting testosterone, and I've certainly seen a major improvement, while still on Mirena. The cost of my prescriptions comes to $30 / month, tax free on my HSA. Much better than Proactiv!

#17 EAmommy

EAmommy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:47 AM

Dermatologist visit (1st time ever in my life) prompted me to further research Mirena side effects. He put me on a regiment of spironolactone and azelex however he was honest to say that this regiment may be fighting a loosing battle with the mirena. He also said that based on the amount of discoloration and scarring to my face, I would still need the regiment for a couple of months. When I left his office two weeks ago, I was still convinced that I just had to keep my IUD because we were not ready for another child. I don't like having to keep up with the pill and side affects for other methods turned me off.

Anyway, after seeing how much acne this mirena causes and the many other side affects I may be experiencing, I am making an appt today for removal. (random abdominal pain, daily lower back pain, brain fogginess, mood changes, anxiety, etc.). I realize that it is not with it to keep throwing my body out of whack with these hormones however small they are. I hope to post a few weeks after removal how well I am doing.

#18 ShanTerrTey

ShanTerrTey

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

I was searching for some information on mirena and acne and ran across this site. I have been having these horrible bumps (lumps) on my face.

Well after my son (he just turned 3) I went on yasmin. Before then I always had nice skin, only got one or two pimples here or there. When I started yasmin I started having a lot of breakouts. I didn't realized that it was the yasmin that was causing it. I decided to go on Mirena and my experience so far has not been good (had it inserted in October). I had horrible cramps and months of bleeding from October to January and then again from February to March. My face has been breaking out worse. Cysts all over my jaw line, on my cheeks and even on my nose (hurt so bad). I had some smaller bumps all around my mouth and my forehead. I tried to squezze them (something I don't usually do but could not help myself this time) and now my face looks horrible. I have so many spots its ridiculous. I've decide to go see a dermatologist and I'm hoping he could find something to help me. I like Mirena (not the side effects) and I dont want to have to take it out.

#19 jarchi

jarchi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 April 2011 - 10:18 PM

I've had the mirena for a year now. It did not change my skin. My skin is now clearing up through holistic methods. Hopefully you can find a way to keep the mirena and help your skin. Good luck!
Topicals:
Black soap cleanser & Jojoba oil

Supplements:
Changed recently because I am doing the cleanse advocated by Karyn Calabrese in her book Soak Your Nuts.

Diet:
Raw foods (fruit, veg, nuts), vegan diet; Avoid: fried foods, dairy, gluten

Mood/Emotional side: trying to remain calm during all this... Meditating & relaxing. Keep calm and carry on.

#20 creativebeth

creativebeth

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2011 - 03:02 PM

I had the Paraguard for 10 months last year and while it didn't seem to make any difference with my acne, it caused me to have 12-14 days of heavy bleeding every 28 days. I am still battling iron deficiency anemia 6 months after having it removed. My dermatologist said I made the right choice as far as acne was concerned; that he's seen a lot of patients' acne get worse on the Mirena. Needless to say I'm just not an IUD fan! I tried bcp a couple of times in the past and both times was only on them for two months because my acne just exploded and I started passing huge blood clots. Apparently the only form of bc I can use is lambskin condoms. I seem to have a mild latex allergy. You would think there would be better barrier methods by now.