Photo

Warm winter drink suggestions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 stardancer

stardancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

Ok, so I've narrowed it down with a great deal of certainty that milk and caffeine cause me to break out, no matter what I put on my face. This is really not a big deal for me during the summer, but during the winter when I want something warm to drink, that's another story. I do drink herbal teas, but I am craving the creamy rich texture you can only get from (at least that I've found so far) from steamers and coffee. I tried doing steamers with rice milk but that's just not doing it for me. So anyone have some suggestions for the cold winter nights?

#2 Leo21k

Leo21k

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2007 - 01:05 PM

Warm Apple Cider Vinegar, Yum

Sorry I got nothin' sad.gif

#3 ~ Honey ~

~ Honey ~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:18 PM

hahaha eeww-- i can barely drink it cold gasp.gif

but um... what is it in coffee that break you out? is it possible the coffein? cause you could buy the caffein-free coffe?

and have you tried the soy milk? if you have a coffee maskine at home, you could make some deliousious caffein free coffee and steam the soy milk and add it.

or you could buy one of those cranberry drinks that comes 2 in one pack(im pretty sure they don't contain diary/wheat or caffein), that you just add hot water.

#4 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

How about decaf with coconut milk (not coconut water)?

#5 MG86

MG86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2007 - 03:50 PM

Bailey's? lol

#6 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 December 2007 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(stardancer @ Dec 26 2007, 01:01 PM) View Post
Ok, so I've narrowed it down with a great deal of certainty that milk and caffeine cause me to break out, no matter what I put on my face. This is really not a big deal for me during the summer, but during the winter when I want something warm to drink, that's another story. I do drink herbal teas, but I am craving the creamy rich texture you can only get from (at least that I've found so far) from steamers and coffee. I tried doing steamers with rice milk but that's just not doing it for me. So anyone have some suggestions for the cold winter nights?

Unsweetened cocoa made with cocoa powder, water and non-dairy creamer. Packed with anti-oxidents. I use Hershey's special dark which is a blend of natural and dutch processed cocoa. The natural, (which is the first ingredient so it's over half) is packed with anti-oxidents, while the dutch process (which destroys some of the anti-oxidents) makes it blend and taste better.

#7 stardancer

stardancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:28 AM

Baileys is yummy, but Cask and Cream Carmel is better - neither are very good hot though. And as for decaf, still has caffeine in it, just a smaller amount. It is the caffeine that breaks me out. Doesn't cocoa have caffeine as well? Thanks for the suggestions guys.
And Honey, if you know where you can find caffeine free coffee, let me know.

#8 stardancer

stardancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE(honey90 @ Dec 26 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post

hahaha eeww-- i can barely drink it cold gasp.gif

but um... what is it in coffee that break you out? is it possible the coffein? cause you could buy the caffein-free coffe?

and have you tried the soy milk? if you have a coffee maskine at home, you could make some deliousious caffein free coffee and steam the soy milk and add it.

or you could buy one of those cranberry drinks that comes 2 in one pack(im pretty sure they don't contain diary/wheat or caffein), that you just add hot water.

Great suggestion Honey. I thought that there was no such thing as "caffeine" free coffee, only decaf. However, at your prompting I found a website that sells herbal coffee - caffeine free. I'm going to try it out. Thanks.

#9 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 06:44 AM

Roasted chicory is an adequate coffee substitute that doesn't have any caffeine at all. It's not too bad tasting and would likely taste pretty good with some milk substitute or even milk itself if milk's not problematic for you. I'd also add cinnamon for a warming good nighttime beverage.

#10 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (stardancer @ Dec 27 2007, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Doesn't cocoa have caffeine as well?

Minimal amounts. According to nutritiondata.com, there's 12mg in a tablespoon which is more than you are going to use to make a cup. Compared to about 80-90mg in coffee and 30-40 in tea.

There's also dandelion tea which is supposed to taste a lot like chicory and be very good for the liver.

#11 stardancer

stardancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(alternativista @ Dec 27 2007, 10:58 AM) View Post
QUOTE(stardancer @ Dec 27 2007, 06:28 AM) View Post

Minimal amounts. According to nutritiondata.com, there's 12mg in a tablespoon which is more than you are going to use to make a cup. Compared to about 80-90mg in coffee and 30-40 in tea.

Good info, but I break out from decaf tea as well and that only has like 6-10 mg in a 6 oz serving (something like that, can't find any of the old decaf teas I had).

Anyway, for all those who are reading this looking for a good answer the herbal coffee is called Teeccino and is available online or at health food stores. I was very impressed with their website and I am going to try and get some tomorrow while I am downstate. I'll let you all know how it is, but it sounds promising.

#12 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(stardancer @ Dec 27 2007, 02:06 PM) View Post
QUOTE(alternativista @ Dec 27 2007, 10:58 AM) View Post
QUOTE(stardancer @ Dec 27 2007, 06:28 AM) View Post

Good info, but I break out from decaf tea as well and that only has like 6-10 mg in a 6 oz serving (something like that, can't find any of the old decaf teas I had).

Anyway, for all those who are reading this looking for a good answer the herbal coffee is called Teeccino and is available online or at health food stores. I was very impressed with their website and I am going to try and get some tomorrow while I am downstate. I'll let you all know how it is, but it sounds promising.

sounds good...maybe i'll try googling it or try finding it a whole foods. thank you for the info.

#13 manutdfan

manutdfan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:08 PM

caffein doesnt break you out.. pfff

#14 stardancer

stardancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE(manutdfan @ Dec 27 2007, 03:08 PM) View Post
caffein doesnt break you out.. pfff

Glad that you are an expert on my skin, however you are wrong. I have experimented with diet for more years than I care to remember and for me there is a direct correlation between massive breakouts and any kind of caffeine. But if you don't want to take my word for it, ask any holistic doctor and they will agree. Certain people are sensitive or "allergic" to caffeine.
Everyone reacts differently to certain foods. Thanks for adding your thoughtful insight to the thread though!

#15 cool as kim deal

cool as kim deal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

You might try blending up a banana with soy or rice milk and flavoring it with cinnamon, nutmeg, and the sweetener of your choice, maybe even a little cocoa powder. I think that would be a reasonably tasty drink served hot or cold.

#16 stardancer

stardancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 December 2007 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE(cool as kim deal @ Dec 27 2007, 04:16 PM) View Post
You might try blending up a banana with soy or rice milk and flavoring it with cinnamon, nutmeg, and the sweetener of your choice, maybe even a little cocoa powder. I think that would be a reasonably tasty drink served hot or cold.

Yum. That sounds good! Thanks for the suggestion.

#17 smc0617

smc0617

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

how about chai? i know you can get them in the natural foods sections. i get the decaf one and they taste good. just add hot water. it's called oregon chai all natural, no preservatives or additives. it's made with black tea, honey and spices.

#18 cool as kim deal

cool as kim deal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

Oooh, ooh! I was just watching You Are What You Eat on BBC America, and the crazy nutritionist lady on the show recommended this drink for someone trying to beat a cafe latte addiction: http://www.channel4......0banana latte

The woman on the show seemed to like it quite a bit and it's dairy and caffeine-free, sort of like the blended banana drink I recommended above, but with these dandelion coffee granules. I've never heard of this before, but it sounds pretty interesting.

#19 stardancer

stardancer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 December 2007 - 09:27 AM

Went to the health food store yesterday, and they recommended the dandelion stuff. It was ok. So I decided to go ahead and be the teeccino coffee alternative. It's really good. It smells horrible in the can, but while it's brewing it smells great. It tastes pretty good, comparable to a flavored coffee. I would recommend it to anybody looking to replace coffee or hot chocolate. And best of all it's completely caffeine free.

#20 MG86

MG86

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2008 - 01:37 AM

How about hot water?