Photo

Acne and how to cover them for Men (and women too)

makeup concealer foundation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
97 replies to this topic

#1 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:15 AM

I wrote this page a long time ago maily to help people who want to cover up their acne scar and but don't know how to start. Here are some help.
http://www.geocities...and_makeup.html

Men have hard time thinking about makeup, but one thing we need to keep in mind is the flawless application is what you need. You cannot achieve that with using color that does not match your skintone. Sometimes women also make mistake by selecting wrong shade concealer or foundation, which just make your acne scare more prominent. Let me make it clear one more time if you want to use cosmetic to cover or hide your scar, you have to have the exact match color.

Here are some cosmetic brands. for men (just to show you that guys also have their makeup too) oh well....if women want to use them, why not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't have anything to do with any of these companies at all, just want to help you understand a little bit more about how to cover up your acne scars. That's all.

The first two are corrective makeup. They are created for people with problematic skin who need some coverage. These first two are for both male and female.

1) Exuviance by Neostrata

1.1 Coverblend Multi-Function Concealer SPF 15 has 4 color choices.
•Where to get them: http://www.sephora.c...ldPaginate=true
If you cant view this photo below, please click here
user posted image

1.2 CoverBlend Treatment spf 20 This is from the same company but this one has 14 different colors.
•Where to get them: http://www.sephora.c...ldPaginate=true
user posted image

2) Dermablend
•Where to get them: http://www.dermablen...s.aspx?prodID=1
user posted image

This brand create makeup for people with severe scar and people with medical condition. I used this cover cream long time ago. It requires some practice but look really good if you apply them correctly.

Sample from dermablend
user posted image

(to be continued)

#2 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 February 2004 - 12:40 AM

now....product specifically designed just for men

1) Menaji
has 4 colors for you
•Where to buy: http://www.menaji.co...oductshome.html
user posted image

2) Male species
it is so obvious, isn't it. This is definately for men ONLY. biggrin.gif
•Where to buy: http://www.malespeci...dStock=MSF00101
user posted image

3) Studio5ive
•Where to buy these two products: http://www.studio5iv...roduct-menu.htm

3.1 Duo concealer & foundation stix
The first one is for people with minimal scars and need just light coverage.
user posted image

3.2 Day cream concealer
Second one is for people who need a bit more coverage.
user posted image

#3 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 February 2004 - 06:10 PM

How to find these concealer

• go to the website of each product
or
• use google and search by name
or
• go to your local department store. They might have some. (depend on your location)

Remember....if you want to hide your redmarks without anyone notice them, you have to use the color that match your skin perfectly.

#4 Scorpio8647

Scorpio8647

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 05:37 PM

now....product specifically designed just for men

1) Menaji
has 4 colors for you
•Where to buy: http://www.menaji.co...oductshome.html
user posted image

2) Male species
it is so obvious, isn't it.  This is definately for men ONLY. biggrin.gif
•Where to buy: http://www.malespeci...dStock=MSF00101
user posted image

3) Studio5ive
•Where to buy these two products: http://www.studio5iv...roduct-menu.htm

3.1 Duo concealer & foundation stix
The first one is for people with minimal scars and need just light coverage.
user posted image

3.2 Day cream concealer
Second one is for people who need a bit more coverage.
user posted image

Hey can you find this make-up for men at a local store??

#5 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:10 PM

I don't think these 3 actually have retail store anywhere. But you can try.

Studio5ive ....no retail outlet....need to order online

Male species This is Las Vegas based company.....for more info you have to refer to their website
http://www.malespeci...chasinginfo.asp

Menaji call 1800-551-5067 or submit your question here
http://www.menaji.com/askus.html

Other male skincare such as Zirh, Jean Paul Gaultier, Anthony Logistics For Men, Peter Thomas Roth or Baxter of California, can be found in Sephora store. Check sephora store location near your here....
http://www.sephora.c...directory.jhtml

#6 Rock

Rock

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2004 - 07:39 PM

Thanks for all the great tips for guys. SOmeone mentioned in another thread to conceal red marks you first need to apply a green based concealor to mask the redness.Then place a concealor that matches your skin tone over that.Is that something you recommend?

#7 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 12:00 AM

Thanks for all the great tips for guys. SOmeone mentioned in another thread to conceal red marks you first need to apply a green based concealor to mask the redness.Then place a concealor that matches your skin tone over that.Is that something you recommend?

I wouldn't really want to recommend green concealer for guy because it can make you look ashy. For women, on the other hand, green concealer works beautifuly because we use either foundation or tinted moisturizer on the top of it. And most of the time, we also put powder over it too.

Nope....no green for guy. unless you want gray dot. :lol:

#8 bern

bern

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 08:23 AM

Hey Sparty,

Do you recommend any makeup that us aussie men can buy in stores over here? Which stores and what type of make-up if it isn't too much to ask.

Thanks,

bernie

#9 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 April 2004 - 06:17 PM

There is one ot two male spa/ cosmetic store on Lt. Collin St between Swanston and Russel. Just walk up from swanston to russel...it will be on your left handside. This shop carries Zirh and Baxter of California for sure. Not sure about Anthony Logistics. But I will definately keep my eyes open and let you know later.

in the mean time....

I notice that we have dermablend in a chemist. You can definately use that. I found this line in one chemist along St.Kilda road a little bit after toorak junction.

Y'know...it might be easier if I know your location. I know Melbourne and that's it. If you live in other city, I will ask my friend to check them for you.

#10 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 April 2004 - 06:21 PM

Ok......Here are some info for Aussie guys.

I got this info from one webboard. He is also aussie male who use cosmetics.

Jean Paul Gaultier men's cosmetics is available in Australia. You can buy it in Myer- the concealer/eyeliner, lip balm and bronzing powder are quite popular.

and someone else ask him back...

I hardly do see much men's make up here apart from JPG?

Just curious and a bit off topic...why can't a guy uses women's make up (not bright red blush of course, but like bronzer, concealor etc)
<---I always think about this question quite often.

He replied....

There's absolutely no reason aside from the psychology and marketing issues. Most Aussie men would rather die than borrow their girlfriend's makeup, let alone walking up to a cosmetics counter and buying products themselves.

Basic products like skincare, foundation/concealer, bronzer, black eyeliner if that's your thing...are exactly the same regardless of what the product is marketed for.

You might be better off going for a women's cosmetics brand anyway- because the JPG concealer and bronzer only comes in one shade, you'll probably find a better colour match with another company.

--------------------------------
I just realize that, in australia, we have very good concealer for both male and female. I actually use this one and it is the best concealer in the market.

user posted image

I think the texture of Becca concealer will work perfectly well with male skin. Just opaque enough to cover acne scar without having to use a lot and it goes on quite dry, which is perfect for male skin that tend to produce more oil than female skin. Becca concealer also comes in 33 different colors. http://www.beccacosm...D=3&ProductID=5 You will definately find something that match your skin perfectly. It is AUD$45. Not cheap...but one small package will last you a very long time. You need very tiny bit of it.

Can find becca concealer in David Jones. If you live in Melbourne and need help with Becca, please let me know. I might be able to help a bit.

#11 Sparty

Sparty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 April 2004 - 12:28 AM

I know this thread is for guys...but hey this info will help for both gender.

Below are 3 of my most favorite concealer for people with acne.
From the top row....1) Laura Mercier secret concealer. This one comes in 4 different shades. It is very easy to use and doesn't disturb my acne or cause any new acne at all. 2) Laura Mercier secret camouflage concealer. Comes in 6 different pairs. No1 and No2 have pink undertone and suit fair skin people. The rest have yellow undertone. This concealer is very good because you can mix the two color to match your skin in winter and summer. We tend to get darker in summer, don't we?

Bottom picture is my favorite concealer from Becca. It is so easy to use and has 35 or 38 colors to choose from. You can definately find one that match your skin perfectly.

Please remember--> To conceal your acne scar without anyone notice them, you need to find concealer that has EXACTLY THE SAME COLOR as your skin. Spend little bit more on concealer is much cheaper than buy drugstore concealer that doesn't work. You will end up buying several brand and spending more money than you should. Just get one really good one is enough.

These concealer look "manly" enough...don't you agree? biggrin.gif

user posted image

#12 Andy2

Andy2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2004 - 10:30 AM

Here is another product for guys who want to buy from the men’s cosmetic company:
4VOO confidence corrector
. . . . . . http://www.4voo.com/corrector.htm
. . . . . . http://www.4voo.com/...d_corrector.htm

This line is used by many makeup artist working in broadcasting.

The web site explains also how to use it – for many guys –it is an issue.

user posted image
4VOO correctors come in four different colors and may be blended to match most skin tones.
They contain UVA/UVB sunscreen.
Good quality and urban, sleek look.

#13 admiral

admiral

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Posted 14 August 2004 - 02:08 AM

hmm...make up for men......

i'd appreciate some info on how to use it.for how long can use it - all day? Won't it actually worsen your acne?

#14 mick blue

mick blue

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 August 2004 - 10:06 AM

QUOTE (admiral @ Aug 14 2004, 12:55 AM)
hmm...make up for men......

i'd appreciate some info on how to use it.for how long can use it - all day? Won't it actually worsen your acne?

I have been using Menaji Anti-Shine Powder as a concealer for about a year now and it is really good. I basically apply it to my entire face to get it to look natural and it covers up everything very well and is hardly noticeable. I highly reccomend it. The only problem is that it goes kind of fast and is expensive.

#15 DarkDragoon

DarkDragoon

It was crimson, like a drop of blood.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:31 AM

How is that Studio5ive concealer that comes in 1 shade supposed to match your skintone at all?

#16 RSXBOI

RSXBOI

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2004 - 05:45 AM

Hey nice info!!................I'm looking for something that wont look shiny And that will more like tan the skin. I dont want my girl to notice that im wearing makeup u know.

#17 Guest_TylerD_*

Guest_TylerD_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:50 PM

I agree I need something where it wont make my face to shiny and yet wont looke like im whearing make up. But for right now im using this clean and clear blemish stick and you are suppose to cover just the blemish with it and it works good but is still a lil noticable. Hopefully there is something out there that can go perfect on skin and cover the blemish without it being notcied at all.

#18 caramel

caramel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE(TylerD @ Dec 4 2004, 04:50 PM)
I agree I need something where it wont make my face to shiny and yet wont looke like im whearing make up. But for right now im using this clean and clear blemish stick and you are suppose to cover just the blemish with it and it works good but is still a lil noticable. Hopefully there is something out there that can go perfect on skin and cover the blemish without it being notcied at all.

View Post

Guys, I suggest going to a M·A·C shop or counter and getting your makeup there. I know there's a few guys who actually work at the M·A·C shop and counter in the mall. Don't be bashful...it's really no big deal, EVERY male celebrity these days wears makeup. From Boy George to Elton John to 50 Cent. Seriously, who cares if a guy wears makeup?? Anyway, M·A·C has A TON of shades to choose from and so many different finishes. I'm a girl by the way, and I wear their Studio Fix...which is a really light powder foundation, and even though it's light...it covers really well. I also like to use M·A·C's Select Cover Up (concealer) and it's awesome, it really is "Liquid camouflage for the skin" as they like to call it! biggrin.gif

#19 Antandadri

Antandadri

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 December 2004 - 07:23 PM

Make up can make your Acne worse especially if its not oil free or non -comedogenic. I recommend you use Pro Activ Sheer Finish Compact Foundation, loose powder, Sheer Tint Moisture with SpF 15 and Concealer Plus are oil free and non-comedogenic. By helping to keep your pores clear, these make up products actually help fight acne throughout the day.

#20 Guest_TylerD_*

Guest_TylerD_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

I have one question. I have bought the concealer sticks before and they work farelly decent but not super good. Now I have heard that actual concealer powder or liquid is way better. But when you put it on do you have to do your entire face or can you just do the parts you really need it. If you can just do certian parts i might be interested in that studio5ive but if you have to use it all around your face i would just assume leave it and keep using the stick.