Photo

Accutane in Low Doses (20 milligrams) great for mild acne.

This topic is archived.
52 replies to this topic

#41 LoveLove2

LoveLove2

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 June 2009 - 11:48 PM

Hi Yvette

Since you are a female do you have to test your blood every month taking accutane?

Thanks, love

#42 mwd

mwd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

I am planning on doing 20 mg a day for 6 weeks or so, maybe stretching it a little further. Any thoughts? Advice? I have never used it before but it worked great for my dad.

#43 leesett

leesett

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 20 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

I also plan on starting a low dose treatment of Accutane. My acne is light/mild thanks to antibiotics, BP and birth control. My skin is extremely oily, I hate it.

Im not sure what would be considered a low dose for me. Im very tiny, 5ft 3in short and weigh in at about 104lbs.

I was thinking maybe 10mg a day... I guess its something i'll have to discuss with my Derm (My appointments July 3rd). It will be interesting to hear what she has to say about low dose treatments. I'll post back then.

#44 Uncut

Uncut

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:20 PM

I think 10mg a day should be fine theres been studies that show that 20mg/day has been able to put people into remission so if your acne isn't too bad why not try 10/day it gives less of a chance of having longterm adverse effects.

#45 gallenng

gallenng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:50 AM

i'm a long term accutane user for maybe 5 years having 20mg/week. Any old horse users here since this thread had stopped since 2008.?

#46 radikal

radikal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 03:33 AM

QUOTE (gallenng @ Jan 2 2011, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i'm a long term accutane user for maybe 5 years having 20mg/week. Any old horse users here since this thread had stopped since 2008.?

former long term user, higher average dosage. Do you have a question or are you just checking if you're a lone survivor?

#47 CursedSoul

CursedSoul

Cool Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

I asked about this and my doctor said they can't really do low doses for long term anymore due to government restrictions with iPledge and everything.

#48 gallenng

gallenng

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2011 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (CursedSoul @ Jan 3 2011, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I asked about this and my doctor said they can't really do low doses for long term anymore due to government restrictions with iPledge and everything.

i was trying to stop my accutane for 1 week but the oil was back and 2 big acne pop out. i can't be the only survivor because there will be still many self medication patients here.

#49 andersoj

andersoj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 January 2011 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (gallenng @ Jan 5 2011, 05:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (CursedSoul @ Jan 3 2011, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was trying to stop my accutane for 1 week but the oil was back and 2 big acne pop out. i can't be the only survivor because there will be still many self medication patients here.

Ive been on about 20mg/week for the last 6 months. Before that I was on the same dose for about a year and took a year or two off. Are you happy with your treatment gallenng? Have you noticed any serious side effects?

#50 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:47 AM

Remission doesn't mean permanent cure. It means it went away (or was progressively getting close to gone) during or by the end of treatment. You need AT LEAST (typo: 10grams) accumulated dosage PER COURSE of isotrentinoin to have much chance of a cure. And the larger the accumulated dosage AND the higher the per-day dosage AND the more courses you do THE HIGHER THE PROBABILITY of a cure. It would take at least 18mo to get barely enough at the 20mg daily dosage, but the side effects would be low. 500 pills total. Not a bad strategy, but theoretically you could probably be on 5-20mg for the rest of your life, and assuming the rest of your health is good, it wouldn't kill you... unless you go broke and are out on the street exposed to the elements.

Edited by Reti, 10 April 2011 - 11:46 AM.

#51 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:54 AM

QUOTE (CursedSoul @ Jan 3 2011, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He/she can prescribe 60mg/day (one 20mg pill three times a day) and you'll get 90 20mg pills each month. At the end of six months, you'll have 333 pills left over. Take those for the remaining 12 months and keep seeing the derm regularly. Screw iPledge and its fascist, hysteria nonsense. There was a similar frenzy about silicone breast implants, and they're back on the market. Pseudo-science and melodrama have no place in medicine... or the court room, for that matter.

#52 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2011 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (Reti @ Apr 10 2011, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remission doesn't mean permanent cure. It means it went away (or was progressively getting close to gone) during or by the end of treatment. You need AT LEAST 10,000 grams accumulated dosage PER COURSE of isotrentinoin to have much chance of a cure. And the larger the accumulated dosage AND the higher the per-day dosage AND the more courses you do THE HIGHER THE PROBABILITY of a cure. It would take at least 18mo to get barely enough at the 20mg daily dosage, but the side effects would be low. 500 pills total. Not a bad strategy, but theoretically you could probably be on 5-20mg for the rest of your life, and assuming the rest of your health is good, it wouldn't kill you... unless you go broke and are out on the street exposed to the elements.

It'd be 10,000 milligrams not 10,000 grams.

If someone took a course of 10,000 grams of Accutane, that's 10 kg in total. Ridiculous amount.

Anyway it depends on your weight. 10,000 mg would be more likely to put someone 50 kg in permanent remission than someone 100 kg.

The ideal cumulative dose to minimise the chance of remission seems to be 120-150 mg/kg, which for someone weighing 75kg would be ~10,000 mg overall and for a someone weighing 50 kg would be ~6750 mg in total.

Note that even if you reach the ideal cumulative dose, that doesn't mean you'll definitely be put into permanent remission, but it seems to give you the best chance.

Edited by jimmy188, 10 April 2011 - 06:29 AM.

#53 Reti

Reti

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

heh heh, typo YES 10,000MG OR 10GRAMS. Too late. Too much typing.