Photo

Skin Rash from Accutane

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 orbital

orbital

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post here and like many here I have been struggling with acne for a long time.

About a month ago I started my accutane treatment at 40mg. My skin definitely began to be much less oily after about a week.

Into the 3rd week, I started to notice a small rash on my arm, at first I thought it was some type of ringworm I may have picked up from the gym and began to apply lotrimin on the affected area. After a few days the rash was spreading so I began to apply even more all over both arms and legs. I even washed all of my sheets and clothes numerous times to kill off anything that might be lingering.

About the 4th week, my arms and legs were becoming more irritated and red. The skin looked as if it was cracking and I had to restrain myself from constantly scratching.

Finally, I went back to my derm today and he said it could be a result of the accutane. I do moisturize my face but not my body and he said because the accutane was drying out my whole body (not just my face), so I should start to apply it everywhere. He gave me some Aquaphor and Eucerin too apply immediately.

I don't know if this is common or not but I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences. I do feel that the accutane is helping with the acne but I do not want to have rashes appear all over my body.

Also, he mentioned to use products that are very mild. I had been using Jack Black's Double Duty Moisturizer for my face but he said it has too many ingredients and that I should stick with something mild. Can someone provide me with a quality product I can use on my face and body?

Thank you.

#2 KatyLady

KatyLady

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hello Orbital! I have noticed a small rash on the backs of my hands and I'm about to begin my 4th month on Accutane. It looks like small red bumps on my hands, but they go away when I apply something heavy like petroleum jelly (similar to Aquaphor - just not as $$$). I also noticed small dry patches on the backs of my arms and on my thighs, but once again after applying lotion they seemed to disappear.

My boyfriend (TacomaJamie) - who is on his 5th and last month of Accutane - had EXACTLY what you are describing. He only applied a face moisturizer and not a body lotion. I think the small patches I was having on my body is probably what you both had before, but not applying any moisture to the affected area, may have caused them to turn red. (thus the appearance of ringworm.)

Here is an excerpt from his log:
... It is day 38 . [...] I have dev. a rash on my arms but its weird, it is just random spots, I count 6 right now 3 on my right arm in between my elbow and armpit on the inside, and the other 3 on my left forum by the wrist/hand. They itch pretty good and one sort of had a yellow piece of something flake off. They are about the size of mosquito bites but odd shaped. Anyone have any ideas?
While this developed, I recall him complaining of what he thought was "ringworm". It looked a little like it, but it wasn't.

Here is a different update from his log on day 50 on Accutane:
My rash on my arms went away w/hydro cortisone cream, my skin/lips haven't gotten any drier, in fact I think they have gotten better then they were about being so horribly dry. It is easily manageable now.
He bought the cream at Walgreens. Just something OTC. It worked well. Try that and see if it helps. Good luck!

PS: Here is a list of the things Iā€™m using that work great for me:
Face Wash: Aveeno Ultra-Calming Foaming Cleanser (morning/night)
Face Moisturizer: Aveeno Ultra-Calming Daily Moisturizer SPF 15 (morning/night)
Lips: Habitually using TONS of lip moisturizer in hopes of minimizing possible dry cracked lips Eucerin's Aquaphor over night.
Body Moisturizer: Vaseline Intensive Rescue Healing Hand Cream.
Good luck! biggrin.gif

#3 cystsbegone

cystsbegone

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2007 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE(KatyLady @ Dec 13 2007, 12:32 PM) View Post
My boyfriend (TacomaJamie) - who is on his 5th and last month of Accutane - had EXACTLY what you are describing. He only applied a face moisturizer and not a body lotion. I think the small patches I was having on my body is probably what you both had before, but not applying any moisture to the affected area, may have caused them to turn red. (thus the appearance of ringworm.)

OMG Katylady -- That is so neat that your boyfriend is on Accutane too! I can imagine that it would be a bonding experience. It must be really nice to know what the other is going through. smile.gif

Orbital -- Don't you love when the derms tell you not to use something, but don't tell you what to use? Like Katylady I am using the Aveeno Ultra Calming Moisturizer, and am loving it. Good luck with everything!

#4 orbital

orbital

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:02 PM

Katy, thank you so much for that reply. It was extremely helpful. I was very worried that I was having some horrible reaction from the accutane. From now on I will apply lotion all over and hopefully this will minimize the side effects.

Yes, the derm was not very helpful when it came to what I should do during my treatment. He just told me I would probably get dry and to be aware of that without giving me any specific advice on what I should do.

I will probably ask to be given a lower prescription, 20mg, instead of the 40mg I am on because I am feeling very dry. I understand there are people on this site who are on much higher doses but I feel that I need to balance my ultimate outcome with the side effects involved.

Katy, what dosage are you on and have you noticed a dramatic outcome in your 4th month compared to the 1st?

#5 Marni K.

Marni K.

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 December 2007 - 05:20 PM

[I am just starting my fourth month on accutane. I have the same rash you are describing. My derm calls it accutane rash. He prescribed Locoid Liopcream 0.1%. This really helps. As far as washing your face I was givin Vanicream cleansing bar (costs about $3) and Cera Ve moisturizing lotion for face and body ($12). When my derm put me on prednisone (steroid) my rash disappeared. Talk to your derm about the prescriptions. Hope everything works outquote name='orbital' date='Dec 13 2007, 12:00 PM' post='2128146']
Hello everyone. This is my first post here and like many here I have been struggling with acne for a long time.

About a month ago I started my accutane treatment at 40mg. My skin definitely began to be much less oily after about a week.

Into the 3rd week, I started to notice a small rash on my arm, at first I thought it was some type of ringworm I may have picked up from the gym and began to apply lotrimin on the affected area. After a few days the rash was spreading so I began to apply even more all over both arms and legs. I even washed all of my sheets and clothes numerous times to kill off anything that might be lingering.

About the 4th week, my arms and legs were becoming more irritated and red. The skin looked as if it was cracking and I had to restrain myself from constantly scratching.

Finally, I went back to my derm today and he said it could be a result of the accutane. I do moisturize my face but not my body and he said because the accutane was drying out my whole body (not just my face), so I should start to apply it everywhere. He gave me some Aquaphor and Eucerin too apply immediately.

I don't know if this is common or not but I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences. I do feel that the accutane is helping with the acne but I do not want to have rashes appear all over my body.

Also, he mentioned to use products that are very mild. I had been using Jack Black's Double Duty Moisturizer for my face but he said it has too many ingredients and that I should stick with something mild. Can someone provide me with a quality product I can use on my face and body?

Thank you.
[/quote]

#6 Ashlee1228

Ashlee1228

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:22 PM

eusa_dance.gif i am so happy i found these posts! i just started my 4th week on accutane and i have the EXACT same rash! whew and here i was trying to rack my brain of where on earth i could have picked up ringworm... and i was right , I DIDNT! YAY!!!

im sorry, but you all have no idea how happy i am to know that there are others out there with ringworm looking rashes, and that there seems to be a easy way to treat it..

has anyone had any luck with specific lotions?

#7 theGreyhound

theGreyhound

"this too shall pass"

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:51 PM

Moisturize your arms well!!! And the sun can be a partial cause or exacerbator for the rash. Use a good sunscreen on your arms, one that is a moisturizing lotion as well.

smile.gif
21YO MALE / Completed Accutane (5 months @ 80mg/day) in 2009 / 95% CLEAR

Clean face morning + night with SpectroGel / Lukewarm showers (not hot water)
Use humidifier in winter / 50mg Zinc Citrate daily!!! / Shave with electric foil razor
Low glycemic/sugar, Low-wheat, Dairy-free diet / Launder pillow cases regularly
One drop of tea tree oil mixed into Complex 15 moisturizer morning and night

#8 lydzxxx

lydzxxx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:09 PM

god i had that!! i thought it was ring worm 2, loads of sore circle patches!! i left a post about it thinking it was ezcema or psoriasis!! i exfoiliated it and its more a less gone, i used suda cream to moisturise it, it was worse on 1 arm but now it has moved 2 my other arm and i noticed abit of it on my leg 2day, then these wee red spots appeared!! it was bright bright red and itchy, its been a week now since it appeared and its going gradually, thnk god!

#9 SHE'S MARIA

SHE'S MARIA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:42 PM

i have the exact same rash! 3 months into accutane!

my gosh.. when i moisturise, it goes away. if i stop, it comes back.

im wondering do i have to moisturiser my arms for the rest of my life? scary thought.

#10 Zach Griffith

Zach Griffith

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 March 2010 - 01:02 PM

I just started accutane two days ago and this morning i noticed my right wrist was red and blotchy. Now my both of my arms are blotchy. I did what everyone said to do and i moisturized it right away and its a little better, but not nearly gone... I just called my derm. and had to leave a message, hopefully she will call back soon :/

#11 enaid

enaid

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:47 AM

I had the same rash. My derm said it was accutane related eczema and to use a cortisone ointment she had prescribed me last month for my lips. went away immediately.

#12 JayJay1883

JayJay1883

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

i dont have a rash but have experienced itchy elbow joints

#13 readytosmileagain

readytosmileagain

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 March 2010 - 12:00 PM

im with you guys - rash, dry circular spots all over both of my arms... its lovely, bring on the spring and sun dresses wink.gif hahaha!
Am:
Cetaphil
ceraVe lotion

PM:
Cetaphil
ceraVe Lotion
Differin

wash my face with cetaphil before and after working out
sometimes add Glytone - mild gel wash to the regimen and then Glytone alphy hydroxy lotion at night

Finished my Accutane Course in August 2010!!

#14 manda_jb80

manda_jb80

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:18 AM

I have to say I am relieved to have read all of these posts too!! I am nearing the end of my 3rd month on 60mg (fairly high dosage!), and have the typical red bumpy rashes all over the backs of my hands and elbows. I find Emolium Cream for eczema helps this, as instructed by my derm.

I am suffereing so badly from dry nose though - the inside of my nose is AGONY!!! Has anyone else experienced this? Also I've been getting nose bleeds, which is scarey as I have never had one before in my life!

...Oh, and liver/kidney ache is another one occasionally... I hope this will be worth it !! I must say my skin is looking great, albeit very dry. Kind of enjoying that though!??

#15 biggs881

biggs881

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (manda_jb80 @ Apr 14 2011, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to say I am relieved to have read all of these posts too!! I am nearing the end of my 3rd month on 60mg (fairly high dosage!), and have the typical red bumpy rashes all over the backs of my hands and elbows. I find Emolium Cream for eczema helps this, as instructed by my derm.

I am suffereing so badly from dry nose though - the inside of my nose is AGONY!!! Has anyone else experienced this? Also I've been getting nose bleeds, which is scarey as I have never had one before in my life!

...Oh, and liver/kidney ache is another one occasionally... I hope this will be worth it !! I must say my skin is looking great, albeit very dry. Kind of enjoying that though!??

Over the counter hydrocortisone cream should help with the rashes, otherwise you may need a prescription strength steroid cream from your derm. Make sure to moisturise and to drink plenty of water as preventative measures.

Have you tried vaseline for your nose?

Presumably you're having blood tests and they have normal results?

Edited by biggs881, 14 April 2011 - 05:48 AM.

#16 manda_jb80

manda_jb80

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:34 AM

Yes had bloods taken and they all came back fine... initially they did tell me to come off them for a week early on into the course as they thought it may be an adverse effect. But they were happy for me to go back on them confused.gif

No not tried Vaseline - will try that?? Thank you

#17 Dreamingofclearskin

Dreamingofclearskin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2011 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (manda_jb80 @ Apr 14 2011, 04:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes had bloods taken and they all came back fine... initially they did tell me to come off them for a week early on into the course as they thought it may be an adverse effect. But they were happy for me to go back on them confused.gif

No not tried Vaseline - will try that?? Thank you

I am starting my 3rd week of Accutane and am on (60mg) and my nose is driving me nuts too! I don't know that I like the idea of putting Vaseline in my nose though... any other suggestions? My sinuses feel dry too.

#18 wagner3616

wagner3616

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2011 - 02:13 PM

I have the same problem as everyone else, but I started having the rash 5 days after beginning Accutane. Its on my arms and my legs. It has been driving me crazy eusa_wall.gif and it is difficult to not scratch...I have tried body lotion and another type of ointment, but they last only temporarily..Any tips??

#19 Boo99

Boo99

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (manda_jb80 @ Apr 14 2011, 05:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The inside of my nose is bad too, and I also get nose bleeds because it's so bad. I use a moisturizing nasal spray several times a day, and I use a Q-tip to put Vaseline in my nose before bed at night (I know it sounds gross, but it helps!) Try those things.

#20 MelindaOne

MelindaOne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

Hey everyone. I am in the same group.. I am on Accutane on my 3rd week and got some weird rash (looks like eczema) on top of my hands.. and now starting (red little dots - this is how it starts) on top of my fingers. First I thought its an allergy from soap.. I never had suh allergy though.. but now I think its really Accutane, as many people experience the same side effect. I just applied Neosporin and will see how it goes, otherwise I will see my derm for help. I only hope it wont go further to arms or even legs!
~ Accutane Roche - Aug. 7, 2011 ~
29 y/o, 50 kg (acne from age 17)

-------------------------------------------------------
Month 1 - 50mg - Mild-severe acne, cysts, lots of bumps on forehead from BCP on forehead
Month 2 - 50mg - Horrible IB for few weeks, many new cysts, rash on hands, thinning hair
Month 3 - 50mg - 50 % clear, lots of bumps, thinning hair, facial hair, some back pain
Month 4 - 50mg - 90-95 % clear, lots of red marks, rash on hands, hair thinning/loss
Month 5 - 50mg - 98% clear, still hair loss, back pain, mood swings, rash/eczema on hands
Monh 6 - 50 mg - 99.7% clear, few bumps on neck, very dry lips, hair loss, bad eczema on hands
Month 7 - FINISHED - 99% clear,no more dry lips but fighting some acne scars
Month 8 - My hairloss and hair thinning stopped, my skin is still clear and dry/normal

------------------------------
Morning Cleanser - Alba Botanica Sea Lettuce Cleansing Milk or Proactiv Make-up Removal Wipes
Make-up Remover: Ponds Cold Cream, then Proactive Make-up Removal Wipes
Moisturizer: Wichy cream or Thalgo serum
Make-up: Revlon Colorstay (or LM before)
Hair treatment:Coconut Oil, Biotin, LUSH hair masks for moisture
Mask: Fresh Oatmeal (ground) & Raw Honey & Bio Yogurt mix, LUSH fresh handmade masks