This topic is archived.
938 replies to this topic

#201 manutdfan

manutdfan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:42 PM

this is interesting... ive been great advocate of the insulin resistance-High GI-androgen theory as ive seen great results myself from cutting sugar and crap from my diet.

im yet to have 100% results even though i cut out the "sucrose" products, i still drank big cartons of fruit juices and ate bananas believing they were healthy.

#202 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(LivesInABox @ Dec 22 2007, 06:48 AM) View Post
Also i'm still free of new spots since my apple pie breakout - although i was hijacked into having a maccyd's burger last night so we'll have to see how it goes in the next few days smile.gif

That's great it's still working for you biggrin.gif

I went to taco bell a few days ago, and developed what looked like what would have developed into pimples, except they didn't. There were sore spots on my face that got slightly pinkish, but they never turned into pimples...lol They just faded away within a few days. It was kind of weird, lol. You're taking more taurine than I am though, so let us know how it goes smile.gif

#203 williamp

williamp

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

My progress is here

I have been taking vitamins, eating tuna fish, and taking taurine. I have been drinking the BLUE monsters which is reduced sugar, 3g a serving. I also had some sugar free redbull. Its 2000 mg of taurine a can.

#204 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:23 PM

Here's a diagram I made that lays out the connection between fructose and acne:

http://sundrania.com.../photos/309.jpg

#205 bwg77

bwg77

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 05:39 PM

Hey, I just read through this post and want to thank you for starting it. I'm a 30 yr. old guy desparately looking for some way to reduce my cystic breakouts. My acne subsided considerably for years but has really given me problems in the past year. I had never heard of supplementing taurine or the fructose connection. Within the past month I've all but eliminated diary from my diet and began supplementing with high dose B5 as well as a vitamin B complex. I really need to find something that can stop this. Its really effecting me.

#206 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Dec 22 2007, 03:23 PM) View Post

I think you should add more pictures. I am not satisfied with just the diagram. wink.gif

#207 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(bwg77 @ Dec 22 2007, 03:39 PM) View Post
Hey, I just read through this post and want to thank you for starting it. I'm a 30 yr. old guy desparately looking for some way to reduce my cystic breakouts. My acne subsided considerably for years but has really given me problems in the past year. I had never heard of supplementing taurine or the fructose connection. Within the past month I've all but eliminated diary from my diet and began supplementing with high dose B5 as well as a vitamin B complex. I really need to find something that can stop this. Its really effecting me.

I'm working on starting a website that will go into really laying out the dietary plan and supplements needed to combat acne. I should have it up within a few weeks. In the mean time:

Step One

Magnesium flush, 2 days in a row. This can be repeated every few weeks if you find it necessary, but not more frequently than that or you can disrupt your electrolyte balance, and that's something you really don't want to do. If anything in your system that you've eaten in the last few days is contributing to your acne, you want to get rid of it. You can do this one of two ways: Epsom salt, follow the direction on the side of the box, or Magnesium citrate, also sold as a laxative. Of those two, the magnesium citrate is much easier to take because it tastes a lot better. In addition to clearing your system of inflammation-causing foods, magnesium is an anti-inflammatory on its own. I noticed a big difference in the quality of my skin within just a few days when I did this.

Step Two

Eliminate common allergens from your diet. People can have allergies and not know it if the symptoms or subtle enough, or if the symptoms are typically associated with something else (like acne). 90% of all allergy symptoms are attributed to the following 7 foods:

Milk
wheat
nuts (including peanuts)
citrus
eggs
shellfish
soy

Allergic reactions trigger systemic inflammation, which causes a taurine and b vitamin depletion, which then results in hyperproliferation of the skin. If you notice any other foods that cause a reaction in you, pay attention to that, and avoid them. If you go through this forum, you'll notice several of those foods come up frequently in the "Must Avoid" discussions. I don't think that's a coincidence. A few members have eliminated their acne entirely just by removing wheat and dairy alone.

Step Three

Go Perimeter Shopping. Perimeter shopping is where you only buy foods from the perimeter of the store and nothing in the isles (except frozen vegetables and salt and pepper, and rice/rice noodles). This diet is primarily a whole foods diet, so buy meat and vegetables. A whole foods diet is a simple way of eliminating added refined sugars and allergens from your diet without needing to spend hours at the grocery store label reading. A good rule is to not go grocery shopping when you're hungry, or you'll be more likely to buy things you shouldn't. I'm not picky about which meats or vegetables as long as they are not processed meats, or canned vegetables. Fresh or frozen is fine. For recipes you can do a Google search for "whole food recipes". Rice, rice noodles (Tinkyada is the best brand I've found, I can't really tell a difference between them and wheat noodles), and potatoes are good sources of carbohydrates. Butter is fine as most of the allergenic components of the dairy have been removed. Salt and pepper can be used pretty much as much as you'd like. I prefer Celtic salt because it still has all the trace minerals in it. Theoretically a person could have an allergy to other spices, kind of like a ragweed allergy, so I'm not sure about those yet. Do not add sugar to your food, or, if you must, keep it as minimal as possible. This included honey as well. No fruit juice! Fruit juice has a much higher fructose content ratio than whole fruit. Rice milk is a good beverage.
If you have to buy something packaged, checked the label for these things, and avoid them (you'll find these ingredients in things most of us don't even think of as sweet):

sugar
sucrose
fructose
honey
fruit juice concentrate
hydrogenated oil (highly inflammatory, and shown in studies to cause hyperproliferation)
honey
high fructose corn syrup
corn syrup
corn sweetener.
agave nectar

Step Four

Supplements. Get Taurine, start at 2000mg per day split in two doses, and go up if you'd like to, and a B Complex 25, once daily. Those are both really inexpensive supplements. I'm also doing research on mineral supplementation to combat the mineral loss caused by fructose, but I don't have enough information to make a recommendation on those yet, but it will involve magnesium, zinc, chromium, copper, and selenium for sure.

There you go, that's the whole plan, as of right now. smile.gif

#208 Leo21k

Leo21k

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

LiliVG, what do you buy when you go grocery shopping? Like what are your must have items to get your through the week? (assuming you shop every week)

The stuff you never forget to buy.

#209 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2007 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE(Leo21k @ Dec 22 2007, 06:37 PM) View Post
LiliVG, what do you buy when you go grocery shopping? Like what are your must have items to get your through the week? (assuming you shop every week)

The stuff you never forget to buy.

Almost all of my vegetables are frozen because it's just a lot easier that way. So I'll get peas and spinach and broccoli usually. I usually have onions and potatoes from the produce section. Occasionally I'll buy some red bell peppers and keep them in the freezer for when I want them. I love yams and I'll get those every once in a while if they're available.
For meat I usually have ground beef, steak, or frozen boneless chicken thighs. There is one brand of breakfast sausage, Tarantino, that I get at Costco, but that's the only "processed" meat I eat, and the ingredients are all ok, that's why I get that brand. Sometimes I'll buy wild Alaskan salmon from Costco too. Every once in a while I'll buy a whole turkey.
I only buy one brand of noodles, and that's Tinkyada, they are rice noodles, and they've done a great job of making them taste and feel like regular wheat noodles.
I always buy organic butter because I don't want to be eating fat soluble toxins. It's more expensive, but I think it's worth it. I usually have olive oil around, but it's organic cold pressed. If it's not organic and cold pressed, olive oil will make me break out worse than almost anything else, but if it is organic and cold pressed then it improves my skin. I think it's because vegetable oils are usually chemically extracted with hexane, and cold/expeller pressed isn't. I've wondered if hexane contributes to acne just from vegetables oils being added to processed foods, like mayonnaise and bread, etc.
I do have mayonnaise (expeller pressed oil), ketchup (natural, organic, no hfcs) and mustard but I find I don't tend to use them very often.
I always have rice milk around, which I also get at Costco, Rice Dream. It sells in a big box of 12 for about $13-$14 so that usually lasts a while, and it's not really expensive. All my water is filtered through a Britta water pitcher to remove chlorine and lead and all that.
I use Celtic salt instead of regular refined salt because it still has all the natural minerals in their natural proportions, so that's good.
Whenever I cook, I use butter in the pan instead of olive oil because high temperature convert polyunsaturates into trans fats, which are inflammatory.

I've found the easiest way to stick with the whole food diet is to do one day of major cooking a week, like on the weekend, and eat left overs the rest of the week. That way eating isn't a hassle, and preparation is usually limited to just reheating. That also makes it easier to take it with me so I can stick with it when I have to go out or go to work.

I think that's about it. smile.gif

#210 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:15 AM

my skin has also not improved significantly while on paleo. can it be the fruit as i remember from a previous post that fruit contains more glucose with little fructose?

#211 manutdfan

manutdfan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:31 AM

are all these l-taurine bodybuilding supplments on ebay the same as taurine?

#212 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 10:47 AM

QUOTE(manutdfan @ Dec 23 2007, 07:31 AM) View Post
are all these l-taurine bodybuilding supplments on ebay the same as taurine?

I don't know the specific supplements you're referring to, but taurine is also known as L-Taurine, yes. You might want to buy from a more reputable source though.

#213 manutdfan

manutdfan

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:08 AM

on the packaging of chocolate and other sweets, it labels sucrose.. it this the table sugar? or pure sucrose (non fructose)

#214 softly_softly

softly_softly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

Interesting.

#215 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:36 AM

QUOTE(manutdfan @ Dec 23 2007, 09:08 AM) View Post
on the packaging of chocolate and other sweets, it labels sucrose.. it this the table sugar? or pure sucrose (non fructose)

Table sugar and sucrose are two names for the same thing, it's 50% fructose, 50% glucose.

#216 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:53 AM

Ok, the Great Unveiling...*drumroll* lol

Today is the one month mark of my First Red Bull, so to commemorate, I have taken a picture. I don't have a before picture, but I tried to find one online that was as close as I could find to the condition of my skin before. So here ya go:

Before:
http://www.ogam.com....efore_large.jpg

Today:
http://img03.picoodl...07m_071c157.jpg

As you can see, my skin is not perfect, but it's a pretty dramatic difference from what it looked like before. You can still see remnants of The Great Taco Bell Experiment of December '07, which shall not be repeated anytime soon, lol. But otherwise, much better.

Attached Thumbnails

• acne_cheek_before_large.jpg
  • 12_23_07.JPG

#217 LivesInABox

LivesInABox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Dec 22 2007, 09:54 PM) View Post
QUOTE(LivesInABox @ Dec 22 2007, 06:48 AM) View Post
Also i'm still free of new spots since my apple pie breakout - although i was hijacked into having a maccyd's burger last night so we'll have to see how it goes in the next few days smile.gif

That's great it's still working for you biggrin.gif

I went to taco bell a few days ago, and developed what looked like what would have developed into pimples, except they didn't. There were sore spots on my face that got slightly pinkish, but they never turned into pimples...lol They just faded away within a few days. It was kind of weird, lol. You're taking more taurine than I am though, so let us know how it goes smile.gif

Still now new spots. It was only 1 burger though with only the top bun. So i don't think i pushed the limit smile.gif.

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Dec 22 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post

Nice diagram - shouldnt there be another branch from the insulin resistance that showing glucose intolerance reduced or is that implied? Cos if i have too much glucose i still break out - i hope this will fade in time though.

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Dec 23 2007, 05:53 PM) View Post

Today is the one month mark of my First Red Bull, so to commemorate, I have taken a picture. I don't have a before picture, but I tried to find one online that was as close as I could find to the condition of my skin before. So here ya go:

Before:

Today:

As you can see, my skin is not perfect, but it's a pretty dramatic difference from what it looked like before. You can still see remnants of The Great Taco Bell Experiment of December '07, which shall not be repeated anytime soon, lol. But otherwise, much better.

That is soooo great. I'll look see if i have a full face pic of my before & after! Well well well done you!

Heres to an Acne Free Xmas everyone smile.gif Good luck! (If we can make it through xmas without new spots i reckon were almost there!!!)

#218 mr. m

mr. m

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Dec 23 2007, 06:53 PM) View Post

Before:

Today:

OMG in one month, that is insane results!!! biggrin.gif

It looks as red marks.. Have you seen fading in red marks?

#219 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(LivesInABox @ Dec 23 2007, 10:13 AM) View Post
Nice diagram - shouldnt there be another branch from the insulin resistance that showing glucose intolerance reduced or is that implied? Cos if i have too much glucose i still break out - i hope this will fade in time though.

That would be the middle thread starting with "Insulin Resistance". If you have insulin resistance, your body will be required to produce way more insulin than normal for the same amount of sugar. Higher insulin levels -> increased IGF-1 AND increased androgens -> hyperproliferation of the skin, and excess sebum production -> acne

#220 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:All things related to health

Posted 23 December 2007 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Dec 23 2007, 09:53 AM) View Post

Before:

Today:

Hey Lili, lookin' good biggrin.gif . You are almost completely clear...do you mind if I add you to The Holistically Clear Skin Club? You will be the first female member smile.gif .