Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fructose, Insulin, And Taurine!

98 posts in this topic

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this; I just got around to reading it all today, wow, I think it's a big part of my previous and current acne. I remembered getting so frustrated at the cystic acne I was getting and never had before when I was having these fruit shakes every day sometimes 2x a day (I would blend 2 golden delicious apples, berries, pears, bananas, honey :shifty: ). I was getting cysts on my neck/jawline which I'd never had before and I couldn't reason why this was happening, I thought it might be a detox symptom but it didn't let up and once I stopped the fruit shakes the cysts slowly disappeared. I also recently added back in an apple and a banana a day into my diet and guess what.. cysts :rolleyes: 1 new one on my jawline and 2 on my neck (they're never red or inflamed, just bumps that you can feel). I know too it was from the whole liver overload thing you talked about b/c for a while (sorry for the detail I'm about to go into..) my stool was tan-colored which I was told is indicative of your liver either struggling or detoxing. Ever since cutting out gluten and dairy my acne is a lot less inflammatory, but I still get the occasional one which could be caused by some fructose sources in my diet.

Again, thanks for posting this. I finally understand what these cysts I was getting when I ate lots of fruit were caused by :dance: .

Wow! I never knew apples had so much fructose! I always thought they would have the least amount! I eat 3-4 apples a day. Hmm, sounds like I have a new project.

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

Hmm..... I'd never heard of Fructose Malabsorption before, but now I wonder if I might have it. About 8 or 9 months ago, I went on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and that initially really helped me. My skin cleared up a lot, my digestion was better, etc. But then after several months, things started going downhill even though I stuck to the diet. I started breaking out again, and having digestion problems even worse than before I started the SCD. Well, the SCD allows a lot of fruit and HONEY! I was using quite a lot of honey, and eating plenty of fruit too. So I think this is definitely a possibility... I'm going to try a very low fructose diet and see what happens.

It would have seemed like my body needed an all meat diet to function correctly and be healthy - when that wouldnt have been the case at all!

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

It would have seemed like my body needed an all meat diet to function correctly and be healthy - when that wouldnt have been the case at all!

So then what have you concluded? You lost me a bit at this point. :think:

?tnarelotni esotcurF uoy erA

After all, man is not what he eats, but what he can digest and assimilate. And i can't assimilate much fructose at all!

What brand of B-vitamins and Taurine do you have?

I'm looking online now and want to make sure I buy a potent brand, not something full of nothing.

I didn't know that inulin was fructose! Bye-bye Fiber-sure! That stuff is pure inulin I think! Fortunately I hadn't been taking as much of that stuff as I thought I "should", as a fiber source to reduce sugar spikes. Ok so my fiber source will be psyllium husks from now on.

There is some awesome research coming up, this is great! Thanks everyone for finding all this great supporting research and information!

It's awesome how this thread is helping so many people and really "clicking" with people. I'm really happy! :D

Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

- 50,000 IU Vitamin D once a week

- 250 - 500mgs calcium citrate per day

- 1,000mgs Vitamin C per day

General Dietary Principles

- Only consume manually pressed/organic oils and fats to avoid pesticides and hexane

- Avoid high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners

- Avoid hydrogenated oils

- Snack frequently (important!)

- Include high fiber foods like beans (chili yum!), trail mix (good for the frequent snacks), and raw veggies (also good as a snack with ranch dressing).

- Make sure I get enough sodium chloride (salt) throughout the day (good sources include ranch dressing (yummy with the raw veggies), chili, and pickles.

Ive been eating alot of cococnut milk lately (coconut extract , water) would you say thay it is high in fructose or is bad for acne?

Ive been eating alot of cococnut milk lately (coconut extract , water) would you say thay it is high in fructose or is bad for acne?

NOW Brand had great reviews and check out this price;

Now Foods, Taurine, 500 mg, 100 Capsules

$3.31 ($0.03 off) 1 Quantity

Items: $3.34

Discounts: ($0.03)

Shipping & Handling: $1.75

Total Before Tax: $5.06

Estimated Tax:* $0.00

Order Total: $5.06

EDIT: LivesInABox and LiliG, what do you guys think of this B-Complex?

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c...d=1760&at=0

What brand of B-vitamins and Taurine do you have?

I'm looking online now and want to make sure I buy a potent brand, not something full of nothing.

Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

- Only consume manually pressed/organic oils and fats to avoid pesticides and hexane

- Include high fiber foods like beans (chili yum!), trail mix (good for the frequent snacks), and raw veggies (also good as a snack with ranch dressing).

- Make sure I get enough sodium chloride (salt) throughout the day (good sources include ranch dressing (yummy with the raw veggies), chili, and pickles.

I didn't know that inulin was fructose! Bye-bye Fiber-sure! That stuff is pure inulin I think! Fortunately I hadn't been taking as much of that stuff as I thought I "should", as a fiber source to reduce sugar spikes. Ok so my fiber source will be psyllium husks from now on.

There is some awesome research coming up, this is great! Thanks everyone for finding all this great supporting research and information!

It's awesome how this thread is helping so many people and really "clicking" with people. I'm really happy! :D

After all, man is not what he eats, but what he can digest and assimilate. And i can't assimilate much fructose at all!

Country Life, Coenzyme B-Complex Caps, 60 Veggie Caps

$6.52 ($0.07 off) 1 Quantity

+ the Taurine

I feel good about this :) Thanks guys.

Items: $3.34

Discounts: ($0.03)

Shipping & Handling: $1.75

Total Before Tax: $5.06

Estimated Tax:* $0.00

Order Total: $5.06

Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

If you can get the 100% now powder. Taurine powder doesn't taste of anything to me, and you get no filler or capsule stuff. And for me it works out cheaper. It's a standard bodybuilding supplement, and they also usually have B vitamins so maybe you can save on shipping?

Now Taurine powder

Just remember that a teaspoon is about 5g (not exact) so be careful and split up say 1 gram over a day to start - you can always add more after a while if it's not working.

As for the BVitamins, they look ok (it's hard to tell which B complex has the right proportions for "everybody"). Although it does list "Soy lecithin" which i'm not sure you'd want.

Yeah, I saw the soy lecithin wasn't sure what to make of it. The product had excellent reviews however.

Also, what type of drinks do you mix your powder with? I was thinking a nice fruit smoothie, but that would contradict what I was trying to avoid ;) I suppose I could use oranges, as they are mildly anti-inflammatory.

Soy lecithin has a form of choline in it which is considered a relative of the b vitamins. But soy lecithin makes me break out badly. The form of choline in the one I'm taking is Choline bitartrate. Now that you mention there's lecithin in that supplement, i'm not so sure it's a good idea. But maybe it's just me with a sensitivity to lecithin? Soy lecithin isn't pure lecithin, it's all the crap left over after they've processed everything else out of the soy that they can get. I read about how lecithin is made and it sounded horrible. But maybe it's too small an amount to make a difference. But I'd hate for a small detail like that to negate positive results.

Yeah, I saw the soy lecithin wasn't sure what to make of it. The product had excellent reviews however.

Also, what type of drinks do you mix your powder with? I was thinking a nice fruit smoothie, but that would contradict what I was trying to avoid ;) I suppose I could use oranges, as they are mildly anti-inflammatory.

It's hard to say if a small amount of soy lecithin is bad or not, i tend to avoid soy after having a reaction to it when i quit dairy. It's an odd thing to put in a B Complex supplement, unless they know something that all the other makers of vitamins don't.

I mix mine in a tiny bit of water (it's only 1/4 of teaspoon). I think you could mix it with anything really (milk if your not allergic or avoiding it), it doesn't say not too. But i think having it with fruit juice may void the purpose, as all fruit juice is higher in fructose than eating fruit :)

Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

Ok, I've made my purchases.

First of all, I sadly already purchased the Taurine in caps form before LivesInABox posted about the powder form. I regret it of course, but I will definetly buy the powder next time.

I bought this B-Complex:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1760

And a little offtopic, but since I have serious digestion problems, I bought this:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=635

I double checked the ingredients, and the probiotics has "trace amounts" of lactose and soy protein. I have been avoiding milk for a very long time, and had some yogurt recently without a breakout, so what the hell. I don't recall ever consuming soy or a soy product, so I'm unsure how it will affect my skin. Not to mention it will be in a very small amount.

I will probably wait before I start using the probiotic and try the B-Complex and Taurine first. That way, if the probiotics break me out (which I HIGHLY doubt) then I will know it's that rather then the B-Complex and Taurine.

We'll see how it goes, I'll let you guys know!

Thanks again. :surprised::D

Ok, I've made my purchases.

First of all, I sadly already purchased the Taurine in caps form before LivesInABox posted about the powder form. I regret it of course, but I will definetly buy the powder next time.

I bought this B-Complex:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=1760

And a little offtopic, but since I have serious digestion problems, I bought this:

http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?c=1&pid=635

I double checked the ingredients, and the probiotics has "trace amounts" of lactose and soy protein. I have been avoiding milk for a very long time, and had some yogurt recently without a breakout, so what the hell. I don't recall ever consuming soy or a soy product, so I'm unsure how it will affect my skin. Not to mention it will be in a very small amount.

I will probably wait before I start using the probiotic and try the B-Complex and Taurine first. That way, if the probiotics break me out (which I HIGHLY doubt) then I will know it's that rather then the B-Complex and Taurine.

We'll see how it goes, I'll let you guys know!

Thanks again. :surprised::D

Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements

Very interesting, gonna look into this.

Fructose malabsorption or Dietary Fructose Intolerance is a digestive disorder of the small intestine in which the fructose carrier in enterocytes is deficient. As a result of this problem, the concentration of fructose in the entire intestine is increased. Fructose malabsorption is found in approximately 30-40% of the population of Central Europe, with about half of the affected individuals exibiting symptoms

Disease cannot live in a body that is in a healthy emotional state. 

how about prune juice, i no its on the list as high in fructose but it contains a high amount of fibre. Doesn't fibre counteract the absobtion to an extent?as I often eat nuts with fruit for this very reason. is there any logic in eatin fruit with nuts? or the prune juice?

LiliVG could you please post what you usually eat everyday? I'm a little unsure as to what I could eat for breakfast since I usually just eat fruit.

Thanks!

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm

-Winston Churchill

LiliVG could you please post what you usually eat everyday? I'm a little unsure as to what I could eat for breakfast since I usually just eat fruit.

Thanks!

I usually eat hard boiled eggs sliced on a piece of toast with mayo, or puffed millet sweetened with xylitol with rice milk for breakfast. I also like omelets or egg/meat/veggie scrambles, for example, 2 eggs, and handful of chopped up sausage, and a handful of chopped red bell peppers or rice, salt, pepper, mix it all together and scramble it, and then top it with some grated cheese if you like. Also yummy is rice with butter and xylitol and a little bit of vanilla. It sounds kind of like a dessert, but it's not really anymore so than eating cereal. As for bread, I make sure the HFCS isn't an ingredient. I try not to eat too much wheat, since it has fructans in it, but a little is ok. 100% fructose elimination is impossible, the goal is realistic reduction to as low as reasonably possible. But if it means feeling like there's nothing to eat, just keep moderation in mind, not complete elimination. Usually my other meals are combinations of stuff in my fridge, I don't usually cook a lot during the day. Like on the weekends I'll cook a main meat dish, like meatloaf, or a turkey for example, and then the whole rest of the week, I usually don't need to do any major cooking. So for example I'll have meatloaf and then I'll heat up some frozen veggies or something to go with it. Same formula for dinner. So my meals are usually meat + veggies, pretty simple. Sometimes, I'll cook some rice noodles, make some sauce like salsa, or pesto and drizzle it with olive oil (I have to use cold pressed organic olive oil, or I have major problems, that could just be me though), and some meat like steak or chicken and mix it all in a bowl. But most of the time it's meat and veggies. I usually drink rice milk.

My diet has gotten a bit disturbed since I started working though since I pretty much have to eat at the mall food court every day. In those cases, I usually get a sandwich, or a burrito, or meat and veggies over white rice (not fried rice or fried noodles though!), and then I usually just drink water.

Last updated 03/26/10

Supplements