#1 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:36 PM

Note: When I refer to Fructose I am for the most part referring to the fructose in refined sugars, not fruit. I know most people mostly associate fructose with fruit, but the western diet's main source of fructose is in the form of refined sugars by far, not fruit. There aren't many people in the western world that can be accused of eating too much fruit, in fact it's usually the opposite. However, some have found that eating a lot of fruit can break them out, so try to eat fruit in moderation.

**Last Edited 9-21-08**
Quick summary of the helpful supplements is here:

--Most Important--
> 3000mgs of Taurine, split up throughout the day
> B complex 25, once per day, or split up throughout the day
> 2000+mg salt per day (improves glucose tolerance, improves digestion, necessary for proper adrenal function, natural anti-histamine)
> Soluble fiber supplement like Glucomannan taken right before each meal
> Reduce/eliminate as much as possible:
- refined sugars and refined carbs in the diet (refined sweeteners, breads, cereals, grains, etc)
- inflammatory foods/ingredients/additives such as hydrogenated oils (aka trans fats)

--Also helpful, not essential--
> 4000 IU Vitamin D per day, (2000IU morning and night, reduced hyper proliferation, improves insulin resistance)
> Peppermint Tea to reduce androgens, improve digestion
> Most calories should come from meat and vegetables, a whole food based diet.

Other threads about taurine that were started since this thread began:

Question about Taurine Taurine is not available in a few countries, and this posts provides a good explanation about why that is.

The Bigger Picture as I See It Summary/Outline of my plan so far, includes a more comprehensive supplementation routine including taurine to not only help acne but help prevent other western diet related diseases as well.

How many have had success with taurine? Summarizes pretty succinctly what the success rate of supplementing taurine has been for many members, and the variations in their regimens.

My Progress with Pictures A thread that documents in pictures the improvement one member is having with daily sugar free Red Bulls, and a low sugar diet.

My Experience with Taurine Another members experience with taurine clearing their acne. Includes before/after pictures, and detailed regimen.

Here's is a link to the post that contains a "before" picture, and an "after" picture of my skin 1 month on Taurine and b-complex. http://www.acne.org/...p...t&p=2138868

Acne Flow Chart This is a chart made by one member to visually demonstrate many factors on the causes and treatments for acne, including taurine, fructose, etc.

I'd also like to thank sie For her contribution of information and research on Vitamin D. Her thread on her experience with Vitamin D and calcium is here

**Edit - 12/13/07: Since this thread began, many forum members have found many studies on how fructose/inflammation can contribute to acne and several very interesting studies that suggest several ways that taurine helps combat acne. I'll summarize the overall conclusion here.

- Taurine is a sodium regulator; if your blood sodium is too low it'll increase it and vice-versa. Studies have shown that increased salt intake improves glucose tolerance in diabetics.

- High fructose foods/beverages cause the liver to convert the fructose to triglycerides in an attempt to avoid being overwhelmed by it, which are extremely inflammatory fatty acids.

- Any source of inflammation causes a depletion of taurine.

- Stress has been shown in studies to cause or exacerbate inflammation link, which may explain why many notice a connection between stress and acne - could taurine depletion be a factor?

- One role of taurine is to inhibit the over-production of skin cells. Therefore a deficiency in taurine will lead to hyperproliferation of skin cells due to the absence of it's inhibitory effects.

- Skin cell hyperproliferation in the pores is stage one in the development of acne.

- Fructose is a known contributor to insulin resistance. In studies, when researchers need to intentionally induce diabetes/insulin resistance they feed the subjects a high fructose diet.

- Insulin resistance causes the body to have to create more and more insulin in order to achieve the same affect.

- Increased insulin levels trigger increased production of the hormone IGF-1. IGF-1 causes hyperproliferation of skin cells.

- Increased insulin levels have also been shown to increase androgen levels.

- Increased androgen levels have been shown to trigger excess sebum production.

- Excess sebum production is stage 2 in the production of acne.

- Fructose -> insulin resistance -> increased insulin production -> hyper proliferation of skin cells, and increased androgen levels -> increased oil production -> excess oil + excess skin cells = plugs in the pores = ACNE

- Vitamin D has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity.

- Vitamin D is involved in the migration of skin cells and has been shown to reduce hyperproliferation and reduce systemic inflammation.

- A Vitamin D deficiency can cause a taurine deficiency and vice versa.

- Taurine has been shown to be able to reverse the effects of fructose-induced insulin resistance in rats.

- Taurine is a sulfur-containing amino acid. Sulfur is well known to be naturally anti-bacterial, and sulfur is a major component of skin repair and healing. Many OTC and prescription acne medications (both internal and topical) are sulfur-based.

- High fructose diets have been shown to cause physical damage and scarring to the liver, and supplementation of taurine was demonstrated to reverse that damage, facilitate liver repair, and improve liver function back to normal.

- One major function of the liver is to neutralize and eliminate circulating and used up hormones to keep them all in balance and prevent excess levels of them.

- Liver damage prevents the liver from doing all of the many jobs it has to do as effectively as it was intended to, resulting in hormonal imbalances, and most likely many other imbalances as well.

- Fructose is a chelator, which means it binds to minerals making them unavailable to the body. As a result, they are carried out of the body. Zinc, magnesium, calcium, copper, chromium, etc, all get chelated by fructose.

- Many members of this forum, as well as several studies, have observed that supplementing with various minerals such as zinc, magnesium, copper, chromium, etc. improves acne. Ever wonder why we're deficient in them in the first place?

- Zinc and Vitamin A (both associated with improving acne) increase natural taurine production.

- A diet high in sugar and refined food products alkalinizes the stomach, leading to hypochlohydria. The typical western diet is notoriously high in sugar and refined food products.

- hypochlorhydria leads to food allergies because food isn't being properly broke down. The most common food allergies include: wheat, dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, shellfish/seafood, and citrus.

- Many members of this forum have noticed a connection between their breakouts and intake of several of those foods.

- hypochlorhydria leads to a loss of the ability to absorb specific minerals, such as selenium (anti-androgenic), zinc (well known treatment for acne and proper wound healing), magnesium (anti-inflammatory), and many others.

- hypochlorhydria allows for the proliferation of harmful bacteria and Candida/yeast infections, associated with leaky gut syndrome.

- Taurine is a major component of bile, and improves digestion of lipids.

- B vitamins increase stomach acid production.

**end edit**

Original post follows:

This is a long post, but please bear with me, it's worth it!

I think a lot of the factors that aggravate acne have to do with how the western diet is overloaded with fructose-heavy sugars. Table sugar is half glucose and half fructose. I noticed any time I ate anything with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in it, my skin would get worse. So I tried removing HFCS from my diet as much as I could, and saw an incredible difference! It went down significantly! But not completely. Then I noticed that being deficient in b vitamins would make me more likely to get acne along my jawline. I noticed that when I added nutritional yeast to my diet, and the jawline acne improved. So I started a general b vitamin supplement, and the jawline acne went away. But what did that have to do with sugar? So I looked it up. Sugar causes your body to lose b vitamins! But my acne wasn't 100% gone yet! For a long time I didn't know what the missing link was. Then at work a few weeks ago, a girl came by my work with Red Bull samples. I read the label, and all the sugars were fine, no fructose, no sucrose (which is made of half fructose) (**edit: Red bull does have sucrose listed, I didn't notice this until later, but the pure glucose added helps balance out the fructose I think), had some added b vitamins which was good, and some Taurine. I didn't know what Taurine was, but I took a risk. Within the next few days of drinking one red bull a day at work, my skin got amazingly clear! So I looked at the label again. The only thing in there that could be doing it was the Taurine because I was already taking a b-vitamin, and I really doubted the caffeine was helping...lol So I looked up Taurine, and found that in studies, Taurine was able to reverse fructose-induce diabetes in rats! I also found that Fructose is metabolized in the liver instead of with insulin like glucose, and HFCS heavy diets tend to overload the liver so it can't handle it all and so instead turns it into triglycerides which are highly inflammatory fats. For example, for every 1% increase in triglycerides in your diet, your risk of a heart attack goes up 150%. But knowing that fructose is handled by the liver, and that HFCS overloads the liver suddenly made me remember the liver flush threads and how they seemed to really help a lot of people! Suddenly the pieces were all fitting together! In the western diet, our main source of sweeteners are either table sugar (half fructose, have glucose), HFCS (80% fructose, 20% glucose), or Honey, which has the same sugar profile as HFCS (that was a big surprise for me!) No wonder our livers are overwhelmed, we're riddled with inflammation, and it tends to mostly happen with western diets! It's all about fructose! Fruit ordinarily has only small amounts of fructose compared to the levels of fructose our processed food diet provides. But with our overwhelmed livers, we can't even eat natural fruit anymore without breaking out!
Also, with more research on Taurine, I found that it is a sulfur containing amino acid. Sulfur is well known for it's anti-bacterial and healing properties, so that made even more sense. In addition to that, it is a key component of bile acids that helps your system digest lipids properly. A few months ago, I had been taking an enzyme by Enzymedica for digesting lipids (fats), and it really helped, but was way too expensive to keep up, so I had to stop taking it. But Taurine does the same thing! I got a bottle of 60 caps for like $13, so it's waaaay cheaper!
So here's what I'm doing that seems to be so far completely eliminating my acne:

- a low level General b-vitamin supplement (Taurine needs vitamin b-6 to work properly, and vitamin b-6 needs all the others b-vitamins to work properly. That's also why taking megadoses of single b-vitamins causes problems because it causes deficiencies in all the other b-vitamins, so make sure it has all the b vitamins in balanced amounts, but not too high levels. I actually split my b vitamin in half, and take half a capsule every day.)
- 1000mg/day supplement of Taurine **edit: since this post I have increased my taurine to at least 3000mgs/day, and it's more effective**
- Avoiding fructose as much as possible! Including HFCS, and sugars that contain fructose, like sucrose (cane sugar) and honey. Also HFCS is in a LOT of foods, so you'll need to become an avid label reader, but I'm sure many of you already are.
- Avoiding sweet fruits for now so my liver can recover.
- I'm also avoiding hydrogenated fats for good measure because they're inflammatory.

So there ya have it! My acne is gone, it's not expensive (it costs me about $25 for 2 months of supplements), and it's not complicated!
I'm sure if you added the liver flushes, that it would work even faster, but I just couldn't get myself to drink olive oil like that! lol But liver flushes aren't a required or necessarily recommended part of this regimen because I don't have any personal experience with them, and the regimen works fine without them.

If some people could try this and let me know if it works for them, it would be really appreciated!

Also, my daily face washing routine is just warm water and a wash cloth, nothing fancy.

#2 SoCold

SoCold

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Nutrition, food and it's affects on the body

Posted 29 November 2007 - 04:48 PM

Hmm. First post I have seen about Taurine in a long time. eusa_think.gif

Interesting that you discovered it by drinking a energy drink. eusa_naughty.gif

Thanks for the information, and congratulations on finding your cure!

#3 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2007 - 05:03 PM

QUOTE(SoCold @ Nov 29 2007, 02:48 PM) View Post
Hmm. First post I have seen about Taurine in a long time. eusa_think.gif

Interesting that you discovered it by drinking a energy drink. eusa_naughty.gif

Thanks for the information, and congratulations on finding your cure!

It was the day after Thanksgiving super shopping days, and i didn't want to burn out by the end of the day, so I drank it about half way through my shift. I'd never had one before so I was kind of curious.
Red bull doesn't actually have anymore caffeine in it then a cup of coffee, so I wasn't all that worried. As soon as I had purchased my Taurine supplement, I stopped buying the red bulls though. I only drank them for a few days, I really didn't want to develop a caffeine addiction! lol

Taurine is awesome stuff in my book, it works amazingly well!

#4 kukumalu

kukumalu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:35 AM

Now I'm craving Red Bull.
Interesting read! I suspect that I'm not too good with fructose either. I'm glad you found something that works for you.

#5 mizzbuddy

mizzbuddy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2007 - 10:44 AM

Thanks for your post! I'm getting very excited about this link between refined sugars and acne. I am also finding that by eliminating HFCS and refined sugars from my diet, my acne is improving significantly. I've had a life-long sweet tooth (along with acne for the past 20 years) and thought I would never be able to cut out as many sweets from my diet as I have these last few weeks. The amazing thing is how easy it's been. I really don't miss that junk at all.

I think it's also very interesting about the Taurine. Years ago when I was in college, a derm prescribed a sulfa based antibiotic for my ance. It worked wonders! (Way better than any other antibiotic I've ever taken -- and believe me -- over the last 20 years I think I've taken them all!) It was splendid! My skin had never looked so good. Everything was fabulous until I developed a severe allergy to sulfa drugs and had to stop taking them. So based on how well the sulfa antibiotic handled my acne, I can see how Taurine would be effective. But I wonder if I can take Taurine with my sulfa allergy? I'll have to check with my pharmacist. Thanks again.

#6 Leo21k

Leo21k

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2007 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Nov 29 2007, 05:36 PM) View Post
But Taurine does the same thing! I got a bottle of 60 caps for like $13, so it's waaaay cheaper!

http://www.swansonvi.../...&Ntk=Level1

Is this like what you are taking?

it's 100 pills for only three dollars.

#7 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:12 PM

Huh. Interesting. I'm surprised they make taurine supplements for humans as it's not essential for us. Our bodies make it. Cats need it, though.

You might try eating/supplementing with the other sulfur containing amino acids that are essential instead. Methionine/Cysteine also contain sulphur and are found in red peppers, garlic, onions, broccoli, brussel sprouts, oats, granola, wheat germ, spinach.

#8 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

QUOTE(alternativista @ Nov 30 2007, 11:12 AM) View Post
Huh. Interesting. I'm surprised they make taurine supplements for humans as it's not essential for us. Our bodies make it. Cats need it, though.

You might try eating/supplementing with the other sulfur containing amino acids that are essential instead. Methionine/Cysteine also contain sulphur and are found in red peppers, garlic, onions, broccoli, brussel sprouts, oats, granola, wheat germ, spinach.

It's interesting you mention those two, because those are the amino acids your body uses to produce its own taurine with. Taurine is also naturally occurring in meat, which makes sense to me because I always noticed when I ate more meat (good quality though, nothing fried, or fast food or anything that like), my skin would get better. And it's because taurine is naturally in meat that cats require high levels of taurine, they're carnivores.

Actually, we do make our own taurine, but a lot of how much you make depends on your diet. Vegetarians on average have only about 29% as much taurine as someone on an omnivore type diet. And some people in this forum have mentioned that when they went on an all raw/vegan/vegetarian diet, their skin got worse, not better, which is the opposite of what a person would think considering how "healthy" a vegetarian diet is considered to be.

Infants cannot make their own taurine which is why breast milk is so high in it. Developmental delays and heart failure have been observed in taurine deficient infants, which is why taurine is now added to commercial infant formulas.

#9 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(mizzbuddy @ Nov 30 2007, 08:44 AM) View Post
Thanks for your post! I'm getting very excited about this link between refined sugars and acne. I am also finding that by eliminating HFCS and refined sugars from my diet, my acne is improving significantly. I've had a life-long sweet tooth (along with acne for the past 20 years) and thought I would never be able to cut out as many sweets from my diet as I have these last few weeks. The amazing thing is how easy it's been. I really don't miss that junk at all.

I think it's also very interesting about the Taurine. Years ago when I was in college, a derm prescribed a sulfa based antibiotic for my ance. It worked wonders! (Way better than any other antibiotic I've ever taken -- and believe me -- over the last 20 years I think I've taken them all!) It was splendid! My skin had never looked so good. Everything was fabulous until I developed a severe allergy to sulfa drugs and had to stop taking them. So based on how well the sulfa antibiotic handled my acne, I can see how Taurine would be effective. But I wonder if I can take Taurine with my sulfa allergy? I'll have to check with my pharmacist. Thanks again.

You already have taurine in your system, there's no way you'd react badly to it. Studies have found no upper limit of toxicity for taurine. A true taurine deficiency would be fatal. Cats and infants are good examples of what happens when you don't have enough taurine in your body because neither is able to make taurine on their own. They both will die of heart failure on a taurine deficient diet. Also, vegans have on average a 7 year shorter life span than meat eaters.

#10 Dingo Jellybean

Dingo Jellybean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:33 PM

Just to let you guys know, when I eliminated all possible fructose in my diet it really didn't change my acne at all.

#11 fiction

fiction

Boozie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I study and I sleep and in between those I eat... And when I'm not out saving the world, you can catch me with the latest Mary Higgins clark, or a good thriller film

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

When I eliminate fructose, it helps a lot. When I was eating a lot of fruit in the summer - I don't eat sweets because regular sugar gives me headaches, I got random cystic acne on my ears- not a pretty or painless sight. It had no affect for Super Belly button, but I can now wear earrings again, so as everyone is well aware, we are all different.

#12 Leo21k

Leo21k

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

Is it a bad idea to eat 4 apples a day?

#13 allo12345

allo12345

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE(Super Bellybutton @ Dec 3 2007, 10:33 PM) View Post
Just to let you guys know, when I eliminated all possible fructose in my diet it really didn't change my acne at all.

Your "acne" problem wasnt only oily skin and large pores?

#14 allo12345

allo12345

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 December 2007 - 11:20 PM

I think a lot of the factors that aggravate acne have to do with how the western diet is overloaded with fructose-heavy sugars. Table sugar is half glucose and half fructose. I noticed any time I ate anything with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in it, my skin would get worse. So I tried removing HFCS from my diet as much as I could, and saw an incredible difference! It went down significantly! But not completely. Then I noticed that being deficient in b vitamins would make me more likely to get acne along my jawline. I noticed that when I added nutritional yeast to my diet, and the jawline acne improved. So I started a general b vitamin supplement, and the jawline acne went away. But what did that have to do with sugar? So I looked it up. Sugar causes your body to lose b vitamins! But my acne wasn't 100% gone yet! For a long time I didn't know what the missing link was. Then at work a few weeks ago, a girl came by my work with Red Bull samples. I read the label, and all the sugars were fine, no fructose, no sucrose (which is made of half fructose), had some added b vitamins which was good, and some Taurine. I didn't know what Taurine was, but I took a risk. Within the next few days of drinking one red bull a day at work, my skin got amazingly clear! So I looked at the label again. The only thing in there that could be doing it was the Taurine because I was already taking a b-vitamin, and I really doubted the caffeine was helping...lol So I looked up Taurine, and found that in studies, Taurine was able to reverse fructose-induce diabetes in rats! I also found that Fructose is metabolized in the liver instead of with insulin like glucose, and HFCS heavy diets tend to overload the liver so it can't handle it all and so instead turns it into triglycerides which are highly inflammatory fats. For example, for every 1% increase in triglycerides in your diet, your risk of a heart attack goes up 150%. But knowing that fructose is handled by the liver, and that HFCS overloads the liver suddenly made me remember the liver flush threads and how they seemed to really help a lot of people! Suddenly the pieces were all fitting together! In the western diet, our main source of sweeteners are either table sugar (half fructose, have glucose), HFCS (80% fructose, 20% glucose), or Honey, which has the same sugar profile as HFCS (that was a big surprise for me!) No wonder our livers are overwhelmed, we're riddled with inflammation, and it tends to mostly happen with western diets! It's all about fructose! Fruit ordinarily has only small amounts of fructose compared to the levels of fructose our processed food diet provides. But with our overwhelmed livers, we can't even eat natural fruit anymore without breaking out!
Also, with more research on Taurine, I found that it is a sulfur containing amino acid. Sulfur is well known for it's anti-bacterial and healing properties, so that made even more sense. In addition to that, it is a key component of bile acids that helps your system digest lipids properly. A few months ago, I had been taking an enzyme by Enzymedica for digesting lipids (fats), and it really helped, but was way too expensive to keep up, so I had to stop taking it. But Taurine does the same thing! I got a bottle of 60 caps for like $13, so it's waaaay cheaper!
So here's what I'm doing that seems to be so far completely eliminating my acne:

- a low level General b-vitamin supplement (Taurine needs vitamin b-6 to work properly, and vitamin b-6 needs all the others b-vitamins to work properly. That's also why taking megadoses of single b-vitamins causes problems because it causes deficiencies in all the other b-vitamins, so make sure it has all the b vitamins in balanced amounts, but not too high levels. I actually split my b vitamin in half, and take half a capsule every day.)
- 1000mg/day supplement of Taurine
- Avoiding fructose as much as possible! Including HFCS, and sugars that contain fructose, like sucrose (cane sugar) and honey. Also HFCS is in a LOT of foods, so you'll need to become an avid label reader, but I'm sure many of you already are.
- I'm also avoiding hydrogenated fats for good measure because they're inflammatory.

So there ya have it! My acne is gone, it's not expensive (it costs me about $25 for 2 months of supplements), and it's not complicated!
I'm sure if you added the liver flushes, that it would work even faster, but I just couldn't get myself to drink olive oil like that! lol But liver flushes aren't a required or necessarily recommended part of this regimen because I don't have any personal experience with them, and the regimen works fine without them.

If some people could try this and let me know if it works for them, it would be really appreciated!

Also, my daily face washing routine is just warm water and a wash cloth, nothing fancy.

This is great indeed, I thought the sugar was affecting me because of candida, but maybe it is a fructose intolerance after all. What type of acne did you have and how did it improve? Did you try eliminating dairy and gluten before?

#15 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE(allo12345 @ Dec 3 2007, 09:20 PM) View Post

I think a lot of the factors that aggravate acne have to do with how the western diet is overloaded with fructose-heavy sugars. Table sugar is half glucose and half fructose. I noticed any time I ate anything with HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) in it, my skin would get worse. So I tried removing HFCS from my diet as much as I could, and saw an incredible difference! It went down significantly! But not completely. Then I noticed that being deficient in b vitamins would make me more likely to get acne along my jawline. I noticed that when I added nutritional yeast to my diet, and the jawline acne improved. So I started a general b vitamin supplement, and the jawline acne went away. But what did that have to do with sugar? So I looked it up. Sugar causes your body to lose b vitamins! But my acne wasn't 100% gone yet! For a long time I didn't know what the missing link was. Then at work a few weeks ago, a girl came by my work with Red Bull samples. I read the label, and all the sugars were fine, no fructose, no sucrose (which is made of half fructose), had some added b vitamins which was good, and some Taurine. I didn't know what Taurine was, but I took a risk. Within the next few days of drinking one red bull a day at work, my skin got amazingly clear! So I looked at the label again. The only thing in there that could be doing it was the Taurine because I was already taking a b-vitamin, and I really doubted the caffeine was helping...lol So I looked up Taurine, and found that in studies, Taurine was able to reverse fructose-induce diabetes in rats! I also found that Fructose is metabolized in the liver instead of with insulin like glucose, and HFCS heavy diets tend to overload the liver so it can't handle it all and so instead turns it into triglycerides which are highly inflammatory fats. For example, for every 1% increase in triglycerides in your diet, your risk of a heart attack goes up 150%. But knowing that fructose is handled by the liver, and that HFCS overloads the liver suddenly made me remember the liver flush threads and how they seemed to really help a lot of people! Suddenly the pieces were all fitting together! In the western diet, our main source of sweeteners are either table sugar (half fructose, have glucose), HFCS (80% fructose, 20% glucose), or Honey, which has the same sugar profile as HFCS (that was a big surprise for me!) No wonder our livers are overwhelmed, we're riddled with inflammation, and it tends to mostly happen with western diets! It's all about fructose! Fruit ordinarily has only small amounts of fructose compared to the levels of fructose our processed food diet provides. But with our overwhelmed livers, we can't even eat natural fruit anymore without breaking out!

- 1000mg/day supplement of Taurine

This is great indeed, I thought the sugar was affecting me because of candida, but maybe it is a fructose intolerance after all. What type of acne did you have and how did it improve? Did you try eliminating dairy and gluten before?

I have tried a gluten free and dairy free diet. The gluten free diet didn't seem to make any difference, but I do keep dairy out of my diet for other reasons, but my acne had remained nonetheless.

The type I had was inflamed cysts mostly in the center of my cheeks and along my jawline.

I prefer to call it fructose overload instead of intolerance, because two things happen in a high fructose diet: 1) the liver is suddenly overwhelmed with fructose since it's the liver's job to process it and nature never intended for the kinds of levels of fructose we now eat, which causes the liver to not be able to work on everything else it's also supposed to be doing nearly as well, and 2, in order to deal with this overload, the liver just quickly converts it into triglycerides as a quick means of getting rid of it, which is really bad considering how highly inflammatory triglycerides are. None of those happens with glucose, only fructose. Here's a link that describes some of what fructose does to your your body: http://www.westonapr...ghfructose.html . Plain cane sugar is half glucose and half fructose. That alone is bad enough considering how much sugar is in our diet, but when you throw corn syrup in the mix, then things get really bad. Compare this Fructose heavy western diet with what a person might encounter in nature: Only a small percentage of the sugar in fruit is actual fructose, the rest is either glucose, or starch, which when eaten is turned into pure glucose. So by the time a piece of fruit is absorbed, only a small fraction of the sugars in it are from fructose. In addiction to that, in nature, fruit is usually only available seasonally, and is extremely perishable, so over the course of a typical year, a person probably wouldn't be eating all that much fruit anyway. Most of their carbohydrates would be from vegetables in the form of starch, which is converted to pure glucose. Overall a really tiny percentage of the sugars consumed would be from fructose. So compare that scenario to our sugar loaded diets of today where more than 50% of our sugar is in the form of Fructose, and our overall sugar consumption is at much higher levels than at any other time in history. Our livers weren't made for this!

#16 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE(Super Bellybutton @ Dec 3 2007, 07:33 PM) View Post

It would be illogical for me to suggest that ALL acne has only one cause. But I think my theory might answer why acne is much more common in westernized diets than in natural pre-industrialized cultures.

#17 LivesInABox

LivesInABox

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 04 December 2007 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(LiliVG @ Dec 4 2007, 08:59 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Super Bellybutton @ Dec 3 2007, 07:33 PM) View Post

It would be illogical for me to suggest that ALL acne has only one cause. But I think my theory might answer why acne is much more common in westernized diets than in natural pre-industrialized cultures.

Very sensible - almost too sensible for this board, you really should be declaring that this is the only possible acne cure and everyone else is wrong smile.gif

How long did you test the removal of all sugars? And where you 100% sure that you removed ever single possible sugar, even hidden ones and some fruits/honey? And how long for? Just from removing the sugar from your diet, could still mean that 30 days later your flushing the effects out of your skin.

Whats interesting about this is, that a lot of diets that have been helping people would cut the problem products out also (like paelo) for instance. So if LiliVG had been on a strict diet like that, it probably would have given similar results, but this is a much better way of working out whats causing your particular problem.

Another supplement that's quite good for this is HepaGuard Forte, which contains Choline, inositol, sodium sulphate,Artichoke extract, Taurine, Apple Extract, L-Methionine, ALA, Green Tea Extract, B2, Biotin.

#18 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:All things related to health

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:14 AM

This is very interesting. Fructose probably has to be the one thing that I have never tried to eliminate. But I can see how it might cause problems.

Personally I know that fructose doesn't cause breakouts for me directly, because I eat it all the time and I'm clear. But could it be taxing my liver, causing other things to break me out? Who knows.

I have thought a lot about how fruits actually weren't that common in the hunter-gatherer diet and even more-so in a traditional agricultural diet. Although it would depend a lot on where your ancestors came from, because warmer climates would have much more fruit available.

Perhaps some people aren't well-adapted to eating fruit/fructose? I don't really know. But thanks for this great post. It made me think a lot.

#19 LiliVG

LiliVG

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE(Healthoid @ Dec 4 2007, 08:14 AM) View Post
This is very interesting. Fructose probably has to be the one thing that I have never tried to eliminate. But I can see how it might cause problems.

Personally I know that fructose doesn't cause breakouts for me directly, because I eat it all the time and I'm clear. But could it be taxing my liver, causing other things to break me out? Who knows.

I have thought a lot about how fruits actually weren't that common in the hunter-gatherer diet and even more-so in a traditional agricultural diet. Although it would depend a lot on where your ancestors came from, because warmer climates would have much more fruit available.

Perhaps some people aren't well-adapted to eating fruit/fructose? I don't really know. But thanks for this great post. It made me think a lot.

I think that fructose overload can cause sensitivities to other things because while the liver is overwhelmed trying to deal with all this fructose essentially every single day, it isn't able to do many of the other tasks it is supposed to be doing as well. In that sense, fructose overload could theoretically manifest in any number of ways related to decreased liver function.

The deceiving thing about fructose is that most people I think assume that most of their dietary fructose is coming from either fruit, or HFCS, but actually sucrose (table or beet/cane sugar) is 50% fructose. This kind of sugar is a relatively new element to the human diet, but is also now present in a great many of the foods we eat. So a person might think they had removed fructose from their diet by reducing fruit, and checking the labels for HFCS, but the majority of their dietary fructose would still be there in regular sugar. In the typical westernized diet, fructose is really hard to avoid because of that!

But I noticed a major improvement when I added the taurine, and from what I read, taurine is able to reverse the effects of fructose, and is also naturally detoxifying and repairing, which I think is a really essential part of eliminating fructose from the diet due to what fructose does to the liver. I think that's what the missing piece was for me. Otherwise it would take longer for the liver to clear and repair itself, and the skin clearing effect would take longer to achieve. Here's a great link on a study of the effect of Taurine on fructose-induce insulin resistance: http://www.sciencedi...bcb9e6d7ac8b519

I have considered why some people are more capable of handling sugar and fructose than others, and I think it does have to do with ancestral origins. For example, with me, my ancestry largely comes from Russia and northern Europe where a large part of the diet came from animal sources, and fruit was very uncommon. However, if someone's ancestry originates in tropical areas for example, their liver may have adapted to be able to accommodate more fructose than most other people. However, the amount of information available on what their true ancestral diet might be is limited because recorded information only goes back so far. In addition to that, what does a person do if they're half Hawaiian and half Irish for example? In cases like those, I think the variations in fructose tolerability would depend on which genes had predominance on an individual basis. So with that in mind, I have no doubt that there will be variations in how successful this is for different individuals. But overall, the principle is the same, which is that the western diet has Waaaay more fructose in it than would even be possible to consume in a natural setting, considering that the vast majority of naturally occurring carbohydrates are turned directly into glucose in our system. Fructose naturally occurs in relatively small amounts, and is always dominated by all the other starches also present in that same food source. Fructose dominance would essentially never occur in nature, and as such, our livers just aren't equipped to handle it. It's because we are in this unnatural position that we have to do something else somewhat unnatural which is to take a taurine supplement (which also would never occur in isolation in nature) in order to negate and clear this fructose over-abundance.

#20 natural girl

natural girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:45 PM

Hi there,

I have found that when I eat refined food and sugars that it definitely has an effect on my skin. Where can you buy the Taurine supplement, do you have any suggestions......Can you take Taurine while on accutane. Also I find that when I cut out so many sugars and have made changes to my diet, I have lost a lot of weight that I don't want to lose. Any suggestions?