Photo

Dandruff shampoo as facial cleanser?

rosacea

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 a529612

a529612

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

I'm using Selsun Blue on my face and for some reason my face is liking it (followed by moisturizer). Now my face is baby soft without any flakiness or redness. It seems to have a side effect of controlling my acne as well. I've heard some people with rosacea uses Selsun Blue. Does anyone have similar experience?

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 November 2007 - 01:59 AM

I use Selsun Blue 2 in 1 shampoo as both shampoo and body wash. I rinse it off completely! My skin does like it, so you're not alone. smile.gif

I think you'll find that you need to moisturize regardless of the type of cleanser you use (particularly if you're heading into winter where you live). I am going to use baby oil but in the interim I'll be using emu oil on my body and face. Vaseline Petrolatum jelly once a week in a very thin massaged in amount on my face right after shower feels really good. smile.gif

Remember to use warm, not hot, water. It's better for your skin and isn't as irritating. smile.gif

#3 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 November 2007 - 06:12 PM

I think I might give Nizoral a shot, as long as it's not irritating at all. Actually, I think I'll try washing my hands with it a few times first. No idea how I'll work it in if it works.

It hasn't killed and has, in fact, helped my boyfriend a bit. His dandruff is cut down some, but not all the way down sad.gif , the sebum production seems a little less and less reactive to manual stimulation, and I think it might be slowing down his (male-pattern) hair loss, too. He alternates with T-Gel, but the Nizoral is the newer product.

Edit: Hey, Nizoral feels pretty gentle on my hands. Smells nice.

Another edit: I'll try bringing this concept up with my doc, since I don't have a whole lot of anti-androgen options beyond Nizoral, and he thinks that's my issue.

#4 a529612

a529612

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 November 2007 - 09:44 PM

Do these dandruff shampoo kill p.acne?

#5 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:40 AM

QUOTE(Nastja @ Nov 29 2007, 06:12 PM) View Post

You might want to lather-up with the Nizoral and leave it on your face as long as you reasonably can, to encourage it to be well-absorbed into your skin. Maybe 5-10 minutes, if possible. Start with a shorter duration and then gradually lengthen it, to make sure you don't get any irritation or other adverse effects.

#6 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

QUOTE(bryan @ Dec 1 2007, 04:40 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Nastja @ Nov 29 2007, 06:12 PM) View Post

You might want to lather-up with the Nizoral and leave it on your face as long as you reasonably can, to encourage it to be well-absorbed into your skin. Maybe 5-10 minutes, if possible. Start with a shorter duration and then gradually lengthen it, to make sure you don't get any irritation or other adverse effects.

I was wondering if I should leave it on and how long . . . Did you talk about leaving it on in another thread? (I'm guessing an affirmative.) I swear I read that somewhere.

#7 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

I don't think I've ever mentioned it until now. Must have been someone else who talked about how long to leave it on your skin.

#8 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

QUOTE(bryan @ Dec 1 2007, 12:24 PM) View Post
I don't think I've ever mentioned it until now. Must have been someone else who talked about how long to leave it on your skin.

Mmmkay. I think Willow569 and a couple others have tried this out, too, so maybe in that/those thread/s. Thanks for the advice anyway, btw.

#9 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:49 PM

Ooo, I found this on Nizoral's website:

* Following a single application of ketoconazole shampoo, ketoconazole persists at therapeutic concentrations for 7 days in the epidermal layers. In addition, substantial pityrosporal inhibitory doses of ketoconazole were detected on the hair for several days after use of the shampoo, the mean level at 72 h was 11.6 µ mg.

Reference: Pierard GE, Arrese JE, Pierard-Franchimont C, et al: Prolonged effects of antidandruff shampoos-time to recurrence of Malassezia ovalis colonization of skin. International Journal of Cosmetic Science. 1997;19:111-117.

That sounds awfully convenient and effective (and cool, from a nerd standpoint)!

#10 tadah

tadah

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:27 PM

Mmmm here in Oz I heard thats a big NO NO , to use shampoos and conditioners on your face... But I guess if it works on ya face then go for it......its worth a try?

Good luck, Trent

#11 pintsize7

pintsize7

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 41
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(tadah @ Dec 1 2007, 03:27 PM) View Post
Mmmm here in Oz I heard thats a big NO NO , to use shampoos and conditioners on your face... But I guess if it works on ya face then go for it......its worth a try?

Good luck, Trent

i use head and shoulders

from what i've heard i forgot where, is an established fact dandruff shampoos are alot "cleaner" then most soaps someone elaborate

#12 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(tadah @ Dec 1 2007, 02:27 PM) View Post
Mmmm here in Oz I heard thats a big NO NO , to use shampoos and conditioners on your face...

I've been washing my face with shampoo for many many many years (not necessarily Nizoral, just whatever shampoo I happened to be using) while showering every morning.

#13 a529612

a529612

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 December 2007 - 04:57 PM

It's OK to use dandruff shampoo on face. Leave it on 5-10 mins.

Treatment of facial SD

#14 Addie

Addie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:21 AM

I seem to have contact dermatitis on my hands and wrists. Nizoral is the only the new product. Not promising . . . sad.gif