Photo

Study finds no connection between glycemic index and acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:20 AM

To see the entire article, you need to purchase it, but here is the study's abstract:

Dietary glycemic index and glucose, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3, and leptin levels in patients with acne

Yesim Kaymak MDa, , , Esra Adisen MDb, Nilsel Ilter MDb, Aysun Bideci MDc, Demet Gurlerd and Bulent Celik PhDe
aMedical Health Center, University of Gazi, Ankara, Turkey
bFaculty of Medicine, Department of Dermatology, University of Gazi, Ankara, Turkey
cFaculty of Medicine, Department of Pediatric Endocrinology, University of Gazi, Ankara, Turkey
dFaculty of Medicine, Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Gazi, Ankara, Turkey
eVocational Education Faculty, University of Gazi, Ankara, Turkey
Accepted 17 June 2007. Available online 26 July 2007.

Background
Several isolated observations have suggested that acne can develop in groups when a high glycemic index diet is adopted.

Objective
This study was designed to examine associations among daily diet glycemic index, glycemic loads, serum insulin levels, and acne.

Methods
A total of 49 patients with acne and 42 healthy control subjects were included in the study. At the initial visit, fasting glucose, insulin, insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3, and leptin levels were measured. A voluntary self-completed questionnaire was administered and participants were asked how frequently they consumed the specified amount of food. Overall glycemic index and dietary glycemic load were calculated.

Results
No significant differences were observed between patients with acne and control subjects in serum glucose, insulin, leptin levels, overall glycemic index, or dietary glycemic load.

Limitations
The information and data obtained from this questionnaire were limited to patients' own recollections.

Conclusion
Results of this study indicate that dietary glycemic index, glycemic load, and insulin levels do not have a role in pathogenesis of acne in younger patients.

Abbreviations: ELISA, enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay; IGF, insulin-like growth factor; IGFBP, insulin-like growth factor binding protein

Funding sources: None.

Conflicts of interest: None declared.
Reprint requests: Yesim Kaymak, MD, HoŇüdere cad. Ňěair Baki Sok. 2/5 Y. AyrancńĪ-Ankara 06540 Turkey.

Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
Volume 57, Issue 5, November 2007, Pages 819-823

#2 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 09:28 AM

Very cool. Their conclusion supports what I've observed in myself and others too.

#3 notadoctor

notadoctor

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:15 PM

That is quite interesting.

#4 Ambrosius

Ambrosius

Bearded Roman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:22 PM

Yep, avoiding sugary foods makes no difference to my acne at all. I finally gave up cutting all added sugar from my diet a week or so ago. Thanks for the article, Willow!

#5 kukumalu

kukumalu

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

So in theory it should be safe to have some things with a little sugar?

#6 groove88

groove88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:24 PM

So why would things like crossaints and chocolate bars break me out? Ive tested a number of times that when i add them back in, i.e sugary or white flour products, i break out.

#7 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE(groove88 @ Nov 9 2007, 11:24 AM) View Post
So why would things like crossaints and chocolate bars break me out? Ive tested a number of times that when i add them back in, i.e sugary or white flour products, i break out.

Most likely it's the gluten and dairy.

#8 Danny©

Danny©

Holistic Boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Healthoid @ Nov 9 2007, 01:29 PM) View Post

Yes my acne for example has nothing to do with gluten which is tolerate perfectly or dairy which I tolerate too (but don't like particularly).

So it's wrong to say that the alternative to this study is "acne is caused by gluten and dairy" cause it's a huge nonsense. If I eat shit food I break out like crazy but if I eat artigianal cheese and whole wheat pasta nothing happens to my skin.

In my opinion there are chances that this study overlooked many factors:

1) it likely tested people whose acne had nothing to do with sugar control (a better method would have been that to take subjects with acne but with specific medical histories (i.e. subjects with acne and sugar problems like diabetes and hypoglycemia VS. subjects with acne with known foods allergies VS. subjects with acne with digestive problems)

2) it doesn't last for enough time ... sugar sensitivities and unbalances (especially in hypoglycemic people) may take up to 6 months to reverse but often takes years to fully balance and show psychological and physiological improvement in people

3) it didn't take in account the importance of nutritional deficiencies.
In fact this is also the flaw of Healthoid reasoning and theories.
In my opinion the cure of my acne had nothing to do with removing this or that food but with improving my general intake of nutrients. People have acne for different reasons but for many of them it is due to nutritional deficiency which, like their acne, are not corrected by removing sugars, dairy or gluten but by increasing a lot the intake of vitamins and minerals and not in s synthetic isolated way but from food. Acne Be Gone Fairy experience with reversing acne thanks to the green smoothies (an incredible concentrate of nutrients) is a clear example of what I'm talking about.

#9 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE(Danny© @ Nov 9 2007, 02:20 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Healthoid @ Nov 9 2007, 01:29 PM) View Post

.. it's wrong to say that the alternative to this study is "acne is caused by gluten and dairy" cause it's a huge nonsense. If I eat shit food I break out like crazy but if I eat artigianal cheese and whole wheat pasta nothing happens to my skin.

I agree. It's the same with me. I still consume gluten and dairy. But cutting out sodas and other empty carbs cleared my skin within a couple of months. And I did it after reading so many Atkins dieters and such clearing their skin.

I'm pretty sure we have seen people post studies they found that do support this, but I know I've seen tons of anecdotal evidence.

Also, I tried cutting out dairy years ago when I first heard of the connection. I had such high hopes for that since I previously drank tons of milk daily. No effect.

#10 Dingo Jellybean

Dingo Jellybean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:46 PM

This isn't surprising. Anyone who has been to Nicarargua knows they consume a lot of fast acting carbs yet they have no diabetes or acne.

It's really the additives and chemicals, like free glutamate, that affects acne.

#11 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

I think this study is unreliable.

Regardless, I have seen causal effects of outbreak with blood sugar spikes, especially with my rosacea, so I plan to continue doing what works for me.

I think the most important thing that anyone can do for themself is to carefully exclude things until they determine what seems to be detrimental to them, exclude it a second time to replicate and confirm it, then modify their habits accordingly. It's an incredibly individual thing and should be treated as such.

#12 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (Super Bellybutton @ Nov 9 2007, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This isn't surprising. Anyone who has been to Nicarargua knows they consume a lot of fast acting carbs yet they have no diabetes or acne.

It's really the additives and chemicals, like free glutamate, that affects acne.

Well, I'm pretty sure their diet is about the same as in Honduras, and I know Hondurans with acne and with diabetes. I was married to one.

#13 Cecelia

Cecelia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:26 PM

And it also discounts genetic pre-dispositions.

#14 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 03:48 PM

If i read right, no one changed their diet, they just recorded what they ate. So the researches found that the subjects with acne and the ones without didnt differ significantly in GI or GL.

They concluded that it does not play a role in the path.. watever of acne. But the people with acne are obviously ACNE-PRONE while the others are not. Now if the acne-prone people changed their diets to low glycemic, i would bet that the results would have changed drastically.

#15 notadoctor

notadoctor

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 05:49 PM

I totally agree that this study may have left a lot out, and might not have considered many things. But it is still interesting that they did not notice any differences in Insulin, or other measurable things. It does not mean that eating healthier does not help acne, or that eating lower GL does not help, it is just showing some relevant info.

#16 gymrat7676

gymrat7676

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:04 PM

they shouldn't even include people that have no acne in these studies because people that have no acne will not get acne from sugar and other things but people with acne(acne Prone) might be affected by different foods and stuff.

#17 Danny©

Danny©

Holistic Boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE(notadoctor @ Nov 9 2007, 05:49 PM) View Post
I totally agree that this study may have left a lot out, and might not have considered many things. But it is still interesting that they did not notice any differences in Insulin

That's because the acne of those people was not affected by insulin and their slighly high levels of insulin were probably normal and inborn.
They should have tested BGs and insulin on people known to have both acne and a medical hystory of sugar sensitivity, insulin resistance, hypoglycemia and uneven blood sugars. Only that way they could have proved a link that in my opinion exists.

Acne is multi-factorial consequential condition and it's just plain wrong (and leading to wrong conclusions) to search for an universal cause that affects everyone rather than the predisposed people.

People predisposed to allergies develop acne because of them.
People predisposed to blood sugar issues develop acne because of them.
People predisposed to abdominal weight gain develop acne because of it.
People predisposed to digestive issues develop acne because of them.
People predisposed to nutritional deficiency develop acne because of them.
And so on ...

Each person has a weak point and each weak point has a specific trigger which influences them but not the ones with different weak points requiring different triggers. I'm not saying this is an universal rule but backs up my anecdotal and learning experience.

#18 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:26 PM

I always drink sunkist 56g sugars thats alot

i never get break out.

I only breakout if i eat hamburger , pizza etc ( maybe )

^^

#19 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE(groove88 @ Nov 9 2007, 02:24 PM) View Post

Just like i read on Proactiv solution guide

Chocolate , pizza etc does not give acne..

but certain food does , and they are Diary foods.

so avoid if you get break out .

sugars doesn't give acne.

I drink Sunkist like all day has a bunch of sugars , - i never get acne -

I ate lots of chocolate in halloween - never break out tongue.gif -

but i ate pizza hamburger.. so now i have a few acne on my back...

dang cheese sick.gif

#20 notadoctor

notadoctor

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(EddieE @ Nov 9 2007, 07:31 PM) View Post
QUOTE(groove88 @ Nov 9 2007, 02:24 PM) View Post

Just like i read on Proactiv solution guide

Chocolate , pizza etc does not give acne..

but certain food does , and they are Diary foods.

so avoid if you get break out .

sugars doesn't give acne.

I drink Sunkist like all day has a bunch of sugars , - i never get acne -

I ate lots of chocolate in halloween - never break out tongue.gif -

but i ate pizza hamburger.. so now i have a few acne on my back...

dang cheese sick.gif

Thank you for enlightening us.