Photo

Glycolic Acid Peel - BURN VICTIM or NORMAL HEALING?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 lividcry

lividcry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:15 PM

Last night I did my first ever peel, a 30% glycolic peel that I got from www.theoriginalskinstore.com. I left it on for about 1min35 sec, but neutralized it w/ water and baking soda quickly because the burning pain was too much (there was no way I was going to be able to last the 5mins recommended by the instructions, plus I had done a lot of research and saw that when doing your first peel you should leave it on for only 50 sec to 2 mins). My skin was very red in the areas that I did the peel, which was mainly my forehead, chin, and cheeks. I also noticed an hour or so later I had TERRIBLE SCABBING on roughly 45% of my face. Roughly 12 hours later, the redness had subsided from the peel, but I have so many scabs on my face right now. These are dark brownish/purplish scabs that are mainly clustered on my cheeks but there is a huge one on my jaw line as well. This is no exaggeration: IT SERIOUSLY LOOKS LIKE I HAVE FALLEN OUT OF A MOVING CAR AT 40 MPH FACE FIRST ON THE PAVEMENT. Basically these scabs look like the huge ones that you got as a child when you fell down and scrapped your knee, only they are not as thick and they are on my face and not my knee. The one on my jaw line already has a little bit of dead skin peeling 24 hours later after the peel, but I am not going to pick at it because that would most likely lead to scarring. Instead, I have put aloe vera on all these scab areas. What I want to know is this: is this dark scabbing normal and how long will it take to go away? Am I a severe burn victim? I already know that I am going to miss the majority of my classes this week due to this, but I absolutely have to attend a meeting on Friday morning.

Sorry for the huge post, but I am VERY CONCERNED about this. This could lead to permanent scarring or scarring that will take months to go away. My normal acne scars already take about 3-4 months to go away, but I'm guessing that this could take 3 times as long as that. Help. eusa_boohoo.gif

#2 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 November 2007 - 11:21 PM

That's not normal scabbing. You do need to apply Vaseline petrolatum jelly heavily over your face for the first few days; that will help minimize scarring. And contact a doctor for further recommendations.

#3 lividcry

lividcry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2007 - 01:20 AM

Coincidentally enough, I am only scabbed on the areas that I had been using Tazorac on for a few days prior to the peel. The other parts of my face had the normal reaction to the peel and did not scab. I later found out that you are supposed to stop retinoid usage for over a week before doing a peel -- I wish I knew that! I was reading about how people who used retin-A and then had their skin waxed often had this problem due to the thinning of the skin, but luckily they did not scar since apparently the scabs were on thin superficial skin. I hope this is my case too eusa_think.gif

#4 sierralita

sierralita

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE(lividcry @ Nov 6 2007, 01:20 AM) View Post
Coincidentally enough, I am only scabbed on the areas that I had been using Tazorac on for a few days prior to the peel. The other parts of my face had the normal reaction to the peel and did not scab. I later found out that you are supposed to stop retinoid usage for over a week before doing a peel -- I wish I knew that! I was reading about how people who used retin-A and then had their skin waxed often had this problem due to the thinning of the skin, but luckily they did not scar since apparently the scabs were on thin superficial skin. I hope this is my case too eusa_think.gif

I'm sorry this happened, sounds like the Tazorac was the problem. I just want to recommend a cream that was developed for post-surgical scarring, and has had amazing results in helping me not scar. It's called Lisset and you can get it at www.taosherb.com.

I wouldn't bother recommending it if it wasn't worth it cause it costs $50, but if you're at risk of scarring, it can really help.

#5 CitizenPanda

CitizenPanda

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE(sierralita @ Nov 6 2007, 08:10 PM) View Post
QUOTE(lividcry @ Nov 6 2007, 01:20 AM) View Post

I'm sorry this happened, sounds like the Tazorac was the problem. I just want to recommend a cream that was developed for post-surgical scarring, and has had amazing results in helping me not scar. It's called Lisset and you can get it at www.taosherb.com.

I wouldn't bother recommending it if it wasn't worth it cause it costs $50, but if you're at risk of scarring, it can really help.

Those brownish scabs are normal. I had them too when I did a "Tazorac" Peel. There were serious scabbing but once they fall off, there is no lasting scar or discoloration. The areas that weren't scabbed were seriously peeling and RAW as hell.

#6 lividcry

lividcry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE(CitizenPanda @ Nov 6 2007, 09:33 PM) View Post
Those brownish scabs are normal. I had them too when I did a "Tazorac" Peel. There were serious scabbing but once they fall off, there is no lasting scar or discoloration. The areas that weren't scabbed were seriously peeling and RAW as hell.

Well, so far, the scabs that have fallen off have revealed skin that is basically like my old skin, though maybe a tad lighter. I am still waiting for many more small scabs to fall off as well as the large scab on my jawline, but as it has been falling off, the skin underneath is raw. You mentioned a "tazorac peel." I normally spot treat red marks with tazorac and it causes the skin to peel and the mark looks a little bit better. That is the method I was using this time, but I then decided a day later to do a full 30% glycolic peel. So I'm not sure if the "tazorac peel" you were referring to is just using the tazorac cream to peel or using both tazorac AND doing a full chemical peel. I'm willing to bet it's the former not the latter redface.gif

This situation is horrible, I have to wear three band-aids on my face when going to class... I honestly look like the rapper Nelly. But on the bright side, I've learned a lot about my skin in the three days since this peel. For instance, I have only been washing my face using water and no other products and my skin (besides the scabs) looks GREAT. I hardly have any oil on my face even hours after washing -- this used to be a big problem for me. Once the scabs all fall off, I think I am going to stay away from all face washes, creams, etc and just wash with water, because my skin has honestly never looked this good when I was using glycolic/sa/bp face washes. PEOPLE, BE CAREFUL WHEN DOING THESE PEELS. I learned the hard way and now will probably miss out (socially) on most of my senior year of college due to the marks that will most likely be left behind when my scabs peel off in a couple of days.

#7 lividcry

lividcry

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:29 PM

Haha, looks like I am as prone to overreacting as I am to acne lol.gif turns out the scabs fell off and healed just fine with no discoloration or permanent scarring. Plus my red marks and skin texture is much improved. I guess I just had a different reaction to the peel than most.

#8 bug

bug

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:33 PM

i used weekly 40% peels, w/ no problems, just a little red. but i introduced retina micro into my routine, only 2 times a week. i thought no big deal. anyway, i did my next weekly glycolic peel, and it burned my face so bad. my cheeks were like one huge scab. in 2 days all the scabs fell off. i put a huge post about this in the copper peptide advice room.

#9 Case#

Case#

CaseLogic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(lividcry @ Nov 8 2007, 01:29 PM) View Post
Haha, looks like I am as prone to overreacting as I am to acne lol.gif turns out the scabs fell off and healed just fine with no discoloration or permanent scarring. Plus my red marks and skin texture is much improved. I guess I just had a different reaction to the peel than most.

Livid, have your scabs fallen off yet??

I NEED HELP too - I just applied 50% glycolic acid peel to skin last night. It was AWFUL. I think I left it on too long and am experiencing wht livid had. I have antibiotic ointment pretty much all over my face right now. The cheeks are the most sensitive area on the face and I know thats why I have redness there.

Basically, I have dark scab/purplish spot on my right cheek and I have antibiotic ointment packed on it. I have dark redness in the creases around my mouth - smile/nasiolabial folds (I dont have folds or wrinkles there - but in that area it is darker reddish). I have this dark reddish on the right side of my chin and jaw line. My forehead has tiny spots in the middle that are dark and scabbed and beyond that the area in general is darker reddish. My temples are the same thing.

I am DESPERATE to know if I have scarred myself. Can anyone offer me advice asap. I can only wash with lukewarm water right now - anything warmer stings my face -- Please Help

#10 miz

miz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

stop using the antibiotic ointment...you are making it worse. Straight up vasaline..ONLY for the next few days. Wash with warm water pat dry and repeat with vasaline....after a few days your face will heal and then peel. You can then use a washcloth with mild soap in gentle circular motion... no acne cleanser!!! You should have not used a 50% peel(30% or less). Do not do this again for another month or so.

#11 miz

miz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:08 AM

almost forgot...30+ on your sunscreen..and don't use any acne treatments for at least a week or more. you will know when your skin starts to look and feel more normal. hope this does not find you too late!

#12 MostExtreme

MostExtreme

There Is No Easy Way Out

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:16 AM

Same shit happen to me in 2006 but done by a so-call expert in glycolic acid peels. I had such burns and hanging scabs that hurt like crazy. Its going to look and feel real fuck for the first week but it will go a way. If you feel you have to put vasiline on it but only on the burn areas and not much cause that shit can lead to breakouts.

#13 indigenous

indigenous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

You will be fine- just slather the vaseline on and DO NOT TOUCH it- don't scrub it, don't pick it, don't wash it harshly. Let it flake off slowly and in a wk your skin will be normal again. Been there, done that.

#14 rockteaser

rockteaser

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:26 PM

Please help! I bought tca and glycolic peel from ebay, used the 100% glycolic today by applying it with cotton, i did not dilute the glycolic acid because i have bad acne scars and wanted to get rid of them. when i applied it, within a minute my face was on fire so i washed it off for atleast half an hour to get over the burning sensation. my skin was swollen and had whie patches on it and then after 1 hour these purple bruses appeared on my face all over. looks like i've fallen out of a racing car. My face looks burnt. what do i do now? i am really upset. please help

#15 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 68
About Me

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (rockteaser @ Apr 9 2009, 08:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please help! I bought tca and glycolic peel from ebay, used the 100% glycolic today by applying it with cotton, i did not dilute the glycolic acid because i have bad acne scars and wanted to get rid of them. when i applied it, within a minute my face was on fire so i washed it off for atleast half an hour to get over the burning sensation. my skin was swollen and had whie patches on it and then after 1 hour these purple bruses appeared on my face all over. looks like i've fallen out of a racing car. My face looks burnt. what do i do now? i am really upset. please help

Get an appointment with a derm ASAP. In the interim, apply petrolatum jelly liberally and stay out of the sun. Apply cool compresses to your face (wet a washcloth, put it in fridge to cool down, place on face.) Put several washcloths in the fridge at a time.

Do not EVER do any peel without reading and following all instructions.

#16 rockteaser

rockteaser

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:20 PM

thank you for replying, let me update my situation. this is the second day and face is not burning anymore. white patches have disappeared completely. what is left now are purple bruises. they are not all over the face but only at some spots. are these called scabs? do these fall off? face looks burnt right from left right and center. no bleeding, no pain , no itching. just dark spots on face.

I have been applying petroleum jelly on them. washed my face twice so far with neutral soap since yesterday. skin feels tight when petroleum jelly is not on it.

suggestions?

#17 mr. matt

mr. matt

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (rockteaser @ Apr 10 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thank you for replying, let me update my situation. this is the second day and face is not burning anymore. white patches have disappeared completely. what is left now are purple bruises. they are not all over the face but only at some spots. are these called scabs? do these fall off? face looks burnt right from left right and center. no bleeding, no pain , no itching. just dark spots on face.

I have been applying petroleum jelly on them. washed my face twice so far with neutral soap since yesterday. skin feels tight when petroleum jelly is not on it.

suggestions?

Two suggestions for you:

1) apply Aquaphor to your face instead of just petroleum jelly. It's available at Walgreens and/or Walmart.

2) buy some Emu Oil at a health food store and apply it at night. It should help.

#18 rockteaser

rockteaser

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

thank you for replying,

i am concerned about the purple burns. will they fall off? my skin does not look like its about to peel. its definitely dry but not peeling yet. should i use the steam bath to losen up my skin? i've been covering the burns by proactive concel that my sister gave to me.

what can i use to jump start the peeling process without leaving any scars?

#19 annakohl

annakohl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:57 AM

1 month ago I've done a 30% glycolic acid peel at home without any effect (quite disappointing at that moment). Today I was using a cream containing glycolic acid but at the same time some micro-crystals for exfoliating the skin. Probably I put too much effort in scrubbing or I don't know what, anyway, my face got red and burning in less then 5 minutes, I got really scary, run to the pharmacy next door, I've told the lady what stupid thing I've done and she gave me Fenistil cream ($10, producer: Novartis, Switzerland) for wounds and burns. It works really quick, the face is not red anymore, almost normal. I am in Europe, I don't know if this Fenistil is available in US too, the idea is ask for professional help quick, in my case works. (I probably neutralized totally the effect of the glycolic acid but at least I feel ok:)

#20 AcnePwns

AcnePwns

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:39 PM

Hmm hard to believe that you burned yourself with a 30% GA peel that was on for less than 2 minutes. Maybe you applied way too much. I have sensitive skin and my skin has never been burned that bad from GA peels (40%) no matter how long I left it on.

My advice is to use lots of moisturizer day and night and try to stay out of the sun for at least a few days.