Photo

VIT A mystery-theory

vitamin vitamins vitamin a

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 TheX

TheX

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

I remember the day after I decided to take VIT A again. One huge zit next to my eye on my nose. I almost went blind, it looked HUGE. I still had to go to school like that.

As many people here know that have taken Accutane, Accutane is basically a derivitave from VIT A right? Well when you go Accutane at first you experience break ups and all. Well I also took accutane a few years ago and it helped but it stopped working after a while but I also remember getting the flare ups at the beggining. I came to a conclusion that everytime that I took vit A i would break out, (basically the pimples would get bigger). I think it might be because it messess up my liver?

Well i had decided to eliminate any form of VITAMIN A PALMITE which is found in many foods to keep food fresh. Well my acne stopped a lot that I was sooooo happy. I only had dry skin and my scars but who cares at least I wasnt getting pimples anymore. I also had eliminated any form of dairy products. If at the back of the package it said CONTAINS: milk I would not eat it. I was really clear. Here is my picture to show you guys. Although it is not a close up you can see that I'm clear. Well I had started eating things again like it didnt matter and pimples came back. Now I'm on my first month of eliminating the things that I had eliminated but I just dont remember what else I eliminated to stay clear.

You guys should try this too and if you have some input please share.

Attached Thumbnails

• bluetanktop.jpg

#2 notadoctor

notadoctor

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:54 AM

I highly doubt it was the Vitamin A. It was probably the avoidance of dairy that did it. Dairy causes many people to break out, but Vitamin A usually only does good.

#3 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

Can't argue with a face like that! smile.gif You look great! What foods have Vit A palmite in it? I had also heard of some downsides to Vit A but it wasn't about acne- (it was about osteoporosis).

#4 notadoctor

notadoctor

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 11:07 AM

I did not notice this until just now, but I am pretty sure he means "Vitamin A Palmitate". If you eat beta-carotene your body is going to make it anyway. It is also in tons of foods, it just is not added in the processing stage. If it is on the label of some food product that means they added it to the food.

#5 jlib

jlib

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:02 PM

its easy to blame things for ur acne..i doubt its vit A ur not even supposed to see results in like a day. u make it sound like u took vit A then as a result it made a huge zit the next day.

#6 AutonomousOne1980

AutonomousOne1980

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:04 PM

vitamin a preformed is not good for you in general, beta carotene is the bodys preferred source from veggies. animal sources have preformed and you can overdose on that stuff.
beta carotene is safe.
#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.
#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.
#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.
#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.
#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.
#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.
#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

#7 SoCold

SoCold

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 December 2007 - 06:36 PM

Bump.

Anyone else have any idea?

I'm stumped - I've never seen this as a cause of acne before.

Thanks for all the answers, I guess breathing is more important than acne............!

#8 Glennart

Glennart

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 25 December 2007 - 05:13 AM

The reason this person cleared up is likely that he avoided dairy.

Vitamin A from animal food is safe at high doses and most people get way way to little. Carotenes are inferior. I have been taking 20-30 thousands IU of vitamin-A per day for a long time with only positive effects.

Take your cod liver oil without fear boys and girls.

Vitamin A on trail

#9 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:12 PM

its the dairy.....i reckon- and ditto on the cod liver oil smile.gif
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers
Plenty of Epsom salt baths

Diet/supps:
-Whole body Healing from *moderator edit - url removed - please read the board rules* since 7/3/08=no more acne, sebderm, rosacea, sickness

#10 albertine

albertine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (ryudoadema @ Dec 25 2007, 03:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its the dairy.....i reckon- and ditto on the cod liver oil smile.gif

FYI, Vitamin A Palmate contains a potato derivative. It's not well known, but potato is a common food intolerance/allergy and can contribute to skin problems. I have to avoid fortified cereals, rice milk, etc. due to the presence of Vit. A Palmate. However, I can take other types of Vitamin A supplements with no problem.

I am working with a nutritionist now to determine some of my food allergies, which are absolutely part of what triggers my acne. Ice cream will break me out within 24 hours, wheat makes me sleepy and causes a rash... I do not eat potato, corn, tomato, sugar, honey, peanut, wheat, sesame seeds, or dairy. I eat a low glycemic diet, and populate my diet with an abundance of leafy greens, low-GI veggies, quinoa, brown rice, and the occasional fish. I eat apples about 5 times a week, but most other fruit is rarely consumed.

I have tested positive for a potato intolerance, as well as an intolerance to fruit in combination with sucrose. I believe that wheat/gluten causes some of my acne and eat none of it. I was also just diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and insulin resistance. Working on it!

#11 rakbs

rakbs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (AutonomousOne1980 @ Oct 30 2007, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
vitamin a preformed is not good for you in general, beta carotene is the bodys preferred source from veggies. animal sources have preformed and you can overdose on that stuff.
beta carotene is safe.

Retinol gets a bad rap because if you take too much of it, there could be bad effects; but, this is not because of an excess of Vitamin A. It's just an imbalance of fat-soluble vitamins.

Your body likes a certain ratio of Vitamin A to Vitamin D to Vitamin K; so if you're megadosing on retinol, no wonder it will throw things off balance.

But retinol from cod liver oil is perfectly safe, since it provides Vitamin D as well as Vitamin A.

And no, beta carotene should not be considered a Vitamin A equivalent, especially in those with acne.
Clear for 8+ months now through striving for optimal fitness levels, stress levels, sleep, nutrient density in my body, and an overall holistic lifestyle approach.

Diet (I stick to this as much as I can): eggs; meat; poultry; wild-caught seafood; vegetables; fat sources from coconut oil, olive oil, and butter; fruit as I crave it; tea; and purified water. I buy organic and/or pastured foods as I reasonably can, but I think that it's the type of foods you eat, and not the quality of food (within reason, of course) that most determines how healthy you will be.

I highly recommend green smoothies as nutrition powerhouses. They are good on so many levels.

Now experimenting with a higher proportion of legumes, nuts, and seeds in my diet.

I eat absolutely no gluten. I limit intake of all grains, but up to two servings of non-glutenous grain a day is fine. I avoid all added sugar--high fructose corn syrup, sugar, honey, etc. I stay away from soybean oil, canola oil, sunflower oil, and other oils not named olive or coconut. I base my diet off of whole, unprocessed foods, and I prepare them in healthful, delicious ways.

Daily exercise. Sunlight whenever possible.

Supplements: Currently? None. Supplements that have helped in the past (and I can personally recommend) are fish oil, zinc, apple cider vinegar, Vitamin D.

#12 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:57 AM

I just ran across this old thread and wanted to mention that I had a dog who was very allergic to Vitamin A Palmitate. It is in many types of dog foods and any time she ate it, it gave her severe diarrhea for four days. It took me over 1 year to figure out exactly what caused her allergic reaction. She also could not eat any milk because it is frequently added.

So, although it is a very rare allergy, it is possible.

Edited by Dotty1, 20 December 2010 - 10:58 AM.

"It takes 20 minutes to turn a live steer into a hamburger. One-third of cattle are blinking, looking around and mooing as their tails are cut off, their hooves removed, their hides pulled off and their bellies ripped open. It is happening all over North America. Veterinarians feel its out of control but the government says there is nothing they can do about it." --The Washington Post's "They Die Piece By Piece" (April 11, 2001)

There are 13 major slaughterhouses in the US. All 13 are "self-policed" for animal abuse. Each worker cuts the throat of about 309 cattle per hour. --Humane Society of America

It is legal in North America for male chicks to be thrown into grinders while alive for dog food companies.

"Poor animals! How jealously they guard their pathetic bodies... that which to us is merely an evening's meal, but to them is life itself." — T. Casey Brennan