Photo

Spiro and side effects?

spiro

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

In another thread I created yesterday, I wrote about how Im excited to see my derm because I havent been to him since last December. The last time I saw him, he put me on Yasmin and he said, if it doesnt work, he will probably put me on Spiro; he told me has a high success rate of treating acne in patients who took the diuretic. Anywho, can people who are on spiro please give me a heads up, what side effects have you had? Im worried about side effects. Are you losing a significant amount of weight on the drug?

Thanks and SunnyGirl if you see this thread, please reply lol.gif
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#2 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

Oh my, I just read on line it says Spiro can cause enlargment of the breasts. I eusa_pray.gif that doesnt happen to me. Im only 23 1/2 and I already wear a 36C

AM regimen
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#3 Sunnygirl

Sunnygirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

Hi Molly,

I feel pretty lucky that I don't have a lot of side efects from spiro. In the beginning I think the side effects I was having were from my anxiety about taking the medication. My anxiety symptoms are typically rapid heartbeat and lightheadedness. After a while that went away though. I've actually had way more side effects with birth control pills (nausea, headaches, anxiety, hair loss) than with spiro.

I haven't had any problems with potassium either and I eat bananas and other foods with potassium. I've had my levels checked twice in the last six months and everything is normal. My hair stopped shedding and is growing in nice and thick now, and my skin is starting to look really good. For me it took quite a long while (4-5 months) for my skin to improve on spiro. Try not to get discouraged if you experience an initial breakout. It will get better in time. I've tried everything for my skin including accutane four times and this is the only treatment that has helped my persistent cystic acne. I've now slowly added tazorac into my routine and am experiencing another purge, but my skin is looking and feeling better and better.

Spiro also dramatically reduced my oily skin and hair as well, but didn't make my breasts grow at all. As for taking spiro without birth control, the first three months were perfect, but the last three I have had spotting in between. One good thing is that the spotting in between periods is getting less and less and I'm hoping that will correct itself in time. My periods still come on time, give or take a day or two, and is still light to medium with little cramps. I'm just all around impressed with spiro and wish I would have taken it years before.

Good luck Molly! Let me know how things work out for you.

#4 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE(Sunnygirl @ Oct 23 2007, 11:23 AM) View Post
Hi Molly,

I feel pretty lucky that I don't have a lot of side efects from spiro. In the beginning I think the side effects I was having were from my anxiety about taking the medication. My anxiety symptoms are typically rapid heartbeat and lightheadedness. After a while that went away though. I've actually had way more side effects with birth control pills (nausea, headaches, anxiety, hair loss) than with spiro.

I haven't had any problems with potassium either and I eat bananas and other foods with potassium. I've had my levels checked twice in the last six months and everything is normal. My hair stopped shedding and is growing in nice and thick now, and my skin is starting to look really good. For me it took quite a long while (4-5 months) for my skin to improve on spiro. Try not to get discouraged if you experience an initial breakout. It will get better in time. I've tried everything for my skin including accutane four times and this is the only treatment that has helped my persistent cystic acne. I've now slowly added tazorac into my routine and am experiencing another purge, but my skin is looking and feeling better and better.

Spiro also dramatically reduced my oily skin and hair as well, but didn't make my breasts grow at all. As for taking spiro without birth control, the first three months were perfect, but the last three I have had spotting in between. One good thing is that the spotting in between periods is getting less and less and I'm hoping that will correct itself in time. My periods still come on time, give or take a day or two, and is still light to medium with little cramps. I'm just all around impressed with spiro and wish I would have taken it years before.

Good luck Molly! Let me know how things work out for you.

Thank you! I feel relieved now! Although, I must say I am gonna have to see my gyno again who I havent seen in over a year! My periods are two weeks long usually and the cramping is unbareable.

So you didnt have an initial breakout at all? I hope it helps and Im very upset about the blackheads on my nose. My pores are so clogged! I break out every single day in pustules and papules. I used to get the cystic pimples but I havent had those since I started Aqua Glycolic and taking fish oil three times a day.

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#5 Sunnygirl

Sunnygirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

Oh I had an initial breakout alright! I had to go on minocyclen for the first three months to help with the breakouts. After the huge purge from spiro I stopped taking the antibiotics and I continued to breakout but not as bad (no cysts) after that. Some weeks were really good and others I would break out again and worry that this would never work. For me it just took longer than for others that saw clearing sooner. It was about 4-5 months before I saw consistent clearing.

#6 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

I noticed fatigue and weakness the first month or so. It got better, for the most part. No other side effects so far. And I really don't break out at all anymore eusa_dance.gif
Cleanser: Purpose, twice a day. Love it!

Rx:
Loestrin Fe 24 (birth control)
Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

#7 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Sunnygirl @ Oct 23 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post
Oh I had an initial breakout alright! I had to go on minocyclen for the first three months to help with the breakouts. After the huge purge from spiro I stopped taking the antibiotics and I continued to breakout but not as bad (no cysts) after that. Some weeks were really good and others I would break out again and worry that this would never work. For me it just took longer than for others that saw clearing sooner. It was about 4-5 months before I saw consistent clearing.

My doctor told me that's a common timeframe for spiro clearing. She said it could even take up to a year. Do you tend to have breakouts mainly on your chin and jawline? (In other words, typical female hormonal acne?)

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#8 mylimage

mylimage

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:38 AM

I actually feel better on spiro than I did without it. I imagine there are other areas of my body that are affected by the androgen blocking.

I still pee a lot. If I don't drink a lot of water, I will get VERY thirsty. I don't know if my boobs got bigger, but they got firmer.

My skin is softer all over my body. My hair is not greasy. My pores are smaller, I don't get backheads on my nose or anywhere else.

I took erythromycin with my initial outbreak, but I was also started Retin A the same day I started spiro.

Oh, AND I DON'T HAVE ACNE!!!! eusa_dance.gif

#9 clc1

clc1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:43 PM

I just went on spiro 50mg about 6 weeks ago. After about 4 weeks, I noticed that my skin was a lot clearer (less jawline/chin breakouts). At that time, I had the clearest skin I've ever had since going off the pill 3 years ago. The first month, my period came 3 days early (I have been extremely regular for 2 years prior, so it was strange to have my cycle change), Then, this month I am now 8 days late. And I am definitelt not pregnant. Is it normal to have late periods on spiro as well as closer together? I really don't want to go on the pill again! I would take accutane over the pill.
Also, did anyone experience weight gain while on spiro? Just curious, it seems like weight gain would be logical if you are messing with hormones. Usually the male hormones are responsible for higher metabolism, right?
Also, in the last week my skin has broken out a bit, not as bad as before, but a few chin/jaw pimples. Also, I have noticed NO decrease in oiliness. Do I need to give it more time?

thank you!!!!

#10 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:41 PM

I thought spiro caused weight loss because its a diuretic and causes people to pee a lot =/

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#11 SamsMom

SamsMom

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE(acne_battle @ Oct 23 2007, 02:41 PM) View Post
I thought spiro caused weight loss because its a diuretic and causes people to pee a lot =/

My daughter has been on 100 mg of Sprio for 6 weeks now, for the first week she did go to the bathroom a lot, had headaches & fatigue but those side effects went away in about 10 days. And yes, she did get an pretty bad initial breakout. Not really on her jawline and chin but on her cheeks (where she rarely breaks out). She had her period last week and her face was the worse I've ever seen it. But she's been on Bactrim 2x a day for almost a week now and today her face is looking so much better and red marks are rapidly fading. I would strongly recommend that you take an antibotic for at least a couple of months along with the Sprio to help with the inital breakouts, along with maybe a topical (Klaron is a good, gentle choice with no history of inital breakouts from what I can tell). I can tell the Sprio is kicking in though because even though she broke out, the pimples were alot smaller and went away a lot faster. There was just alot of them!

She did notice a increase in breast size as well...and she didn't really need it either surprised.gif She was a 36D, and is now a 36DD. Can't comment on period irregularies since she takes BCP and her periods have been right on time. Intially the BCP really helped her acne, and I think they still do, I think that when her old antiboitic (mino) wore off is when she started having problems (that and humidity). That's why I asked the derm for Sprio, NOT an antiboitic and can be on long term.

Good luck and thanks to everyone on this board! You have all been such a great source of information for me. Without it, I would of never of known about Sprio

#12 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE(SamsMom @ Oct 23 2007, 08:03 PM) View Post

My daughter has been on 100 mg of Sprio for 6 weeks now, for the first week she did go to the bathroom a lot, had headaches & fatigue but those side effects went away in about 10 days. And yes, she did get an pretty bad initial breakout. Not really on her jawline and chin but on her cheeks (where she rarely breaks out). She had her period last week and her face was the worse I've ever seen it. But she's been on Bactrim 2x a day for almost a week now and today her face is looking so much better and red marks are rapidly fading. I would strongly recommend that you take an antibotic for at least a couple of months along with the Sprio to help with the inital breakouts, along with maybe a topical (Klaron is a good, gentle choice with no history of inital breakouts from what I can tell). I can tell the Sprio is kicking in though because even though she broke out, the pimples were alot smaller and went away a lot faster. There was just alot of them!

She did notice a increase in breast size as well...and she didn't really need it either surprised.gif She was a 36D, and is now a 36DD. Can't comment on period irregularies since she takes BCP and her periods have been right on time. Intially the BCP really helped her acne, and I think they still do, I think that when her old antiboitic (mino) wore off is when she started having problems (that and humidity). That's why I asked the derm for Sprio, NOT an antiboitic and can be on long term.

Good luck and thanks to everyone on this board! You have all been such a great source of information for me. Without it, I would of never of known about Sprio

Yeah but I have to be very careful about what medicines I take. I am also on Celexa and Wellbutrin for my depression and that is a must for me. I cannot have other medicines that will contraindicate my antidepressants. I also cannot use retinoids of any sort. They make me have suicidal ideations even tazorac did that to me. I put too much on in the evenings, not realizing I cannot put on as much as I want and it got absorbed into my blood stream and made me crazy2.gif

Oh joy! Im looking foward to having D size breasts at 23 years of age. Right now, Im a 36C rolleyes.gif

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#13 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:58 AM

Anyone else have tender breasts and increased breast size due to Spiro?

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#14 SamsMom

SamsMom

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:00 PM

QUOTE(acne_battle @ Oct 23 2007, 06:30 PM) View Post

Yeah but I have to be very careful about what medicines I take. I am also on Celexa and Wellbutrin for my depression and that is a must for me. I cannot have other medicines that will contraindicate my antidepressants. I also cannot use retinoids of any sort. They make me have suicidal ideations even tazorac did that to me. I put too much on in the evenings, not realizing I cannot put on as much as I want and it got absorbed into my blood stream and made me crazy2.gif

Oh joy! Im looking foward to having D size breasts at 23 years of age. Right now, Im a 36C rolleyes.gif

I'm not sure about Celexa but my daughter is also on Wellbutrin 300 mg XL with no problem. There are several websites that you can go to where you plug in what your taking and they will let you know about drug interactions. I did this before putting her on both the sprio and bactrim because of the Wellbutrin. But I totally understand your concerns. I just think that if you can take an antibotic for the first couple of months on Sprio, it would be helpful but not absoutely necessary. Like I said, I noticed some improvement with the Sprio the first 6 weeks, smaller size and going away pretty quickly (although they left bad red marks, worse than usual for her, for some reason)

And yes, the breast enlargement is not something that she wanted, but seriously, when your already a D, adding a bit more doesn't make a lot of difference..don't feel bad..my daughter is only 18 (but she didn't get that size breast from my side of the family! I actually wish she could throw some of it my way..smile.gif )

#15 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2007 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE(SamsMom @ Oct 24 2007, 05:00 PM) View Post
QUOTE(acne_battle @ Oct 23 2007, 06:30 PM) View Post

I'm not sure about Celexa but my daughter is also on Wellbutrin 300 mg XL with no problem. There are several websites that you can go to where you plug in what your taking and they will let you know about drug interactions. I did this before putting her on both the sprio and bactrim because of the Wellbutrin. But I totally understand your concerns. I just think that if you can take an antibotic for the first couple of months on Sprio, it would be helpful but not absoutely necessary. Like I said, I noticed some improvement with the Sprio the first 6 weeks, smaller size and going away pretty quickly (although they left bad red marks, worse than usual for her, for some reason)

And yes, the breast enlargement is not something that she wanted, but seriously, when your already a D, adding a bit more doesn't make a lot of difference..don't feel bad..my daughter is only 18 (but she didn't get that size breast from my side of the family! I actually wish she could throw some of it my way.. smile.gif )

Note to self: If I go on spiro, ask for an antibiotic or a cream to put on my face so that I dont have a horrible initial break out.

I hope I notice improvement like your daughter has. smile.gif

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#16 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

QUOTE(acne_battle @ Oct 24 2007, 08:58 AM) View Post

I have not, but this is a known side effect that my derm told me about when she prescribed it.
Cleanser: Purpose, twice a day. Love it!

Rx:
Loestrin Fe 24 (birth control)
Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

#17 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE(sweetheart519 @ Oct 25 2007, 10:07 AM) View Post
QUOTE(acne_battle @ Oct 24 2007, 08:58 AM) View Post

I have not, but this is a known side effect that my derm told me about when she prescribed it.

How long have you been on spiro?

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#18 peachy_D225

peachy_D225

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 02:38 PM

I'm on 200 mg, and have been for about 10+ months. i haven't had any breast size increase, and believe me, I would've noticed (I'm very small) and been very pleased with it.

#19 acne_battle

acne_battle

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

QUOTE(peachy_D225 @ Oct 25 2007, 03:38 PM) View Post
I'm on 200 mg, and have been for about 10+ months. i haven't had any breast size increase, and believe me, I would've noticed (I'm very small) and been very pleased with it.

Has it helped with your acne?

AM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Pop a doxycycline

#20 peachy_D225

peachy_D225

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE(acne_battle @ Oct 25 2007, 07:42 PM) View Post
QUOTE(peachy_D225 @ Oct 25 2007, 03:38 PM) View Post

Has it helped with your acne?

Yes - this is the only thing that's ever worked for me, and I'm happy to say that i'm 100% clear. i do occasionally get a very very tiny zit (not even a pustule) and it fades quickly.