What breaks down keratin?

3 replies to this topic

#1 jordan12

jordan12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

It would seem to me that if hyperkeratinization is the chief mechanism behind acne, wouldn't the best treatment be the use of something that would break down the excess keratin and thereby unclog pores?

Does anyone here know what substances/products do this?

#2 Enlightened

Enlightened

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

Benzoyl Peroxide
Retinol
Salicylic acid...........There are a few.

They all help, but none are a cure. The oil is a major part of acne formation, that is why accutane works so well.

Picture this, you have removed much of the dead skin from you face but you miss small parts, if the oils is still in full production it will become food for the bacteria liviving in those "blocked" pores that you missed.

Sure removing the oil will help lessen acne lesions but will not cure it all together. Accutane is the closest thing to a cure because it deals with the oil problem from the inside (but its kinda bad for you)

The best thing would be a natural product that will help with oil production without causing serious side effects.

Let me know when you find one smile.gif

#3 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

Azelaic acid does. It is also antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.

#4 Andrei

Andrei

»(^__^)«

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2007 - 02:15 AM

I think they all do, but my theory is that they do not penetrate the epidermis deep enough to slough off the excess keratin that is blocking the sebaceous ducts. Could we take supplemental proteolytic enzymes that breaks down keratin? Maybe. I've tried taking pancreatin last two weeks ago (4 bucks a bottle) and seems to dry up the acne really fast. I got dry lips when I tried taking more than 2 pills at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users