Photo

Zinc Picolinate

zinc

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rony

Rony

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:17 AM

Zinc Picolinate has been the most effective acne treatment for me. Thank God I learned about it!

I usually get these large, inflammed acne every now and then. I 1st learned about Zinc from my best friend's brother, who swears by its effectiveness. He takes Solgar Zinc Gluconate from Healthy Options. Since I am a Gold member of GNC, I first bought GNC Zinc Gluconate 50mg and took it once a day for 3 months. Sadly, I didn't see any improvement on my skin while taking it.

After a few months, I decided to try Zinc again. This time, I bought Zinc Picolinate 30mg with 2mg Copper, also from GNC. I took it once a day and saw slight improvement on my skin for the 1st month. On my 2nd month I decided to take it 2x a day (once in the morning and once again in the evening) & my skin has been clear with ZERO acne for a month! After I finished all the tablets I wasn't able to buy another jar immediately and I instantly had 3 new huge pimples in just a week. This made me conclude that Zinc Picolinate does work and that it is the best acne medication for me.

Take note that I am not using any other anti-acne product on my face (except for maybe my toner which has tea tree oil in it). I also noticed that Zinc Picolinate helped clear out my bacne.

Now the only problem I have left are the marks the pimples left on my face. But I'm not too worried. I know they'll go away in time. eusa_dance.gif

#2 LaSwede

LaSwede

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:27 AM

Are you a guy or a girl? It seems like most who have success with zink are boys (from the little I have read)... Just checking.

#3 AltaPGT

AltaPGT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:40 PM

I too have tried zinc gluconate in the past in various dosages, trying again currently at 50mg/day plus 15mg from multivitamin. Check out this article comparing the absorption of different types of zinc:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pt=AbstractPlus

I'm wondering if maybe zinc gluconate isn't effective against acne but maybe the picolinate is?

#4 Rony

Rony

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

i'm a guy. that's probably true, that zinc is more effective on men since, i've read, that the action of zinc on acne is by maintenance of hormonal balance. and we know that men can get more of those nasty testosterone that can aggravate acne. i do believe that my acne is hormonal, since my skin does not respond to benzoyl peroxide or antibiotics. i did not notice any improvement in my skin's excessive sebum production, though. i still have extremely oily skin. that's why i still have these whiteheads which i get the derma to remove for me each month. but at least i don't get large inflammed pimples anymore. sometimes i get lazy and sleep without washing my face and still wake up with clear skin.

i do think that zinc picolinate is more absorbable, based on my experience and my research. that is actually the reason why i bought it on my second try on zinc. i was also curious why zinc picolinate is more expensive than zinc gluconate by almost three times. maybe GNC knew it was more effective?

#5 AltaPGT

AltaPGT

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:32 PM

I don't know when you got your Zinc Picolinate at GNC, but whenever I have gone there they have only had zinc gluconate, and online that is all they have too. I have looked at several other "store brands" and they only have gluconate too. I am sure I will find picolinate at Vitamin Shoppe or something online but its more work. Either way I will most likely check it out soon. I wish there were more replies to this with people's experiences, especially since zinc has been "scientifically" proven to be effective against acne.

#6 Dingo Jellybean

Dingo Jellybean

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

QUOTE(AltaPGT @ Oct 14 2007, 11:32 PM) View Post
I don't know when you got your Zinc Picolinate at GNC, but whenever I have gone there they have only had zinc gluconate, and online that is all they have too. I have looked at several other "store brands" and they only have gluconate too. I am sure I will find picolinate at Vitamin Shoppe or something online but its more work. Either way I will most likely check it out soon. I wish there were more replies to this with people's experiences, especially since zinc has been "scientifically" proven to be effective against acne.

Yeah, at GNC (all 5 locations I've been to) only have gluconate, not picolinate. Your best bet is probably a Vitamin Shoppe, they seem to have a wider variety of things than GNC. Though GNC uses as few fillers as possible, which is why I go back to GNC.

#7 Rony

Rony

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE(AltaPGT @ Oct 15 2007, 11:32 AM) View Post

oh, i get mine from GNC in the Philippines (where i live) and it's pretty much available all the time. this page sites some info about GNC's Zinc Picolinate but not a place where to buy it. confused.gif

#8 scrubmetender

scrubmetender

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:21 PM

Glad it's working for you, I too take zinc picolinate (22mg) but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.. perhaps I'm not taking enough or I need copper as well.
Do you take it with meals or just with water?

#9 Rony

Rony

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2007 - 06:25 AM

QUOTE(scrubmetender @ Oct 23 2007, 04:21 AM) View Post
Glad it's working for you, I too take zinc picolinate (22mg) but it doesn't seem to be doing anything.. perhaps I'm not taking enough or I need copper as well.
Do you take it with meals or just with water?

i take it with meals because if i don't i'd puke. sick.gif

well as of this week i have 2 new huge pimples. don't know if it's because i sometimes forget to take my zinc or it is my skin's initial reaction to tretinoin which i just started using recently.

#10 Tekneeks

Tekneeks

Killer Bee

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 October 2007 - 07:00 AM

zinc picolinate works well cause it absorbs at a better rate than other zinc types as i have read. anyway i take solgar 22mg dose, with a regular vitaminshoppe copper supp.

After 3 months on zinc i concluded it does nothing.

since a. i dont have a hormone problem and b. i dont have a deficiancy in zinc