Photo

Blistering during Smoothbeam... How to prevent

steroid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#41 blah

blah

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:06 PM

hi i got a few questions cuz my derm recommended smoothbeam to me.

first...what type of questions should i ask to see if hes competitent in dealing with the machine?

second...have any asians on here had any positive outcomes?

thanks for the help

#42 OursFan

OursFan

~ Tamara

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:47 PM

When did I speak for everyone else?  The board rules state that advertisements aren't cool.  I'm all about talking about blistering and Ela-Max gel, not how well XYZ.com treats its patients.

Actually, I'd be cool If it was someone else talking about the spa, but we don't need to hear the OWNER'S opinions of it.  I mean, she isnt going to say anything bad about it, so it's biased.

fromchicago: You spoke for all of us by attempting to limit the information SkinRN is providing us - telling her not to cross the line.

Actually, the board rule is:
"Do not post simply to advertise another site or product."
In my opinion, SkinRN was not doing this. Furthermore, she was asked direct questions and answered them. Even you asked her questions.
When you say "we don't need to hear the OWNER'S opinions of it" that is speaking for all of us.
It is obvious her information regarding her practice is going to be biased, that is the case with virtually everything. For example, If something works for you, you are going to express that and that is fine.

If anyone wishes to discuss this matter further, please PM me - further posts on this particular subject will be removed.

#43 jdang307

jdang307

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:56 PM

damnit Oursfan, posted same time as me, and said the exact same thing! and i just spent 5 minutes to type it!!!! if i woulda got it in first i could have left it huh? hehe, so i delete it ...

#44 fromchicago

fromchicago

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:56 AM

now that's funny.

#45 LAET

LAET

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:20 AM

6 for $1900 ?!?!?

Don't you find that you be way too expensive?  Especially for south carolina?

I mean, I thought if you get get all 6, there should be a deal.

320/treatment isnt exactly a deal.

I agree, the price seems rather steep. I remember reading the going rate was more like 200 or so a pop. I think it's important to keep the price affordable for the patients. It's not like someone needs this for cosmetic reasons. I think decent skin is more of a necessity in life.

#46 animegirle

animegirle

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 February 2004 - 10:21 AM

My treatments in TN are $300 a pop for full face.

#47 Guest_ObiWontonKenoli_*

Guest_ObiWontonKenoli_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:20 PM

originally my derm charged $400/full face..then I negotiated and showed various prices I managed to gather from this site (remember our old poll guys? smile.gif )

He then reduced it to $250/full face biggrin.gif

#48 jdang307

jdang307

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 February 2004 - 12:38 AM

6 for $1900 ?!?!?

Don't you find that you be way too expensive?  Especially for south carolina?

I mean, I thought if you get get all 6, there should be a deal.

320/treatment isnt exactly a deal.

I agree, the price seems rather steep. I remember reading the going rate was more like 200 or so a pop. I think it's important to keep the price affordable for the patients. It's not like someone needs this for cosmetic reasons. I think decent skin is more of a necessity in life.

it's not too outrageous. i've been quoted $500 a pop. that's expensive. going rate is $200 because we are all seeking the cheap prices. i found one for $250 a treatment and i was happy.

while it would be grand to have everything in life be a reasonable price, it just isn't how it works. we don't know each individual doctor's overhead, capital outlay, etc., so without that knowledge who are we to judge their prices? they're not in the business of subsidizing our treatment. accutane costs an arm and a leg, i was paying $600 a month (before I got insurance). you either pay the price or you don't.

#49 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2004 - 02:12 PM

Postoperative blistering

Blister formation (or vesiculation) is due to epidermal thermal damage and can be produced by several different laser systems, but it is most common with Q-switched laser irradiation for tattoo removal. Explanations for its development include use of excessive laser fluences or inadvertent absorption of laser energy attributable to the increased presence of an epidermal chromophore (eg, melanin in a tan). The concomitant use of tissue cooling (through a contact chill tip or cryogen spray) serves to protect the epidermis from excessive thermal damage during laser irradiation

Maybe this applies to SB?? I guess no tan, and a cooling spray are the way to go. Anyone's doctor use a cooling spray?

#50 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2004 - 04:16 PM

Everybody uses one. That's what we refer to when we discuss the "cryogen spray setting." It's an integral part of the smoothbeam procedure/machine.

#51 LoveGreenSmoothies

LoveGreenSmoothies

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 February 2004 - 05:48 PM

Then why are people blistering? Is it improper use by the operator?

#52 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 February 2004 - 06:55 PM

Generally yes... Fitzpatrick skin types also figure in. Read this thread from the beginning. When SkinRN discusses the different cryogen settings, and gives her little chart about corresponding levels of joules to cryogen, she's outling proper use. But she's addressing improper use in the first place.

#53 BritGrlChic

BritGrlChic

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 February 2004 - 10:30 PM

Just wanted to update you guys on my smoothbeam progress. I just had my 3rd smoothbeam appt and I did go and see "SkinRN" in Florence, SC. I live in Atlanta so it wasnt that bad of a drive. (4 hours) It was very much worth it. I thorougly recommend her for any of you guys that can make it out there. She was a sweetheart and really made the experience pleasurable (as funny as that is) I previously had my first two treatments done on setting 10 and 11 by a dermo in Atlanta. She thought this was crazy as she feels to really see progress you need to have your smoothbeam performed by someone really qualified who knows what theyre doing and be able to accurately perform those higher settings without blistering etc. My dermo wasnt going to go past setting 12! She performed my smoothbeam on a setting 13.5 with very potent numbing cream. So far, I dont know whether it was that higher setting or just the fact that its my 3rd SB, but my skin has never looked better. Its been a REALLY long time since my scars looked this good. So just wanted to give a big thumbs up to "SkinRN" and her facility "Heavenily Skin" They were wonderful and she performed the smoothbeam flawlessly! I'll be sure to update you guys further down the road. Cya
Brittany

#54 GoldRex

GoldRex

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 26 February 2004 - 11:27 PM

I'm jealous of you! She sounds wonderful.

#55 Craziness

Craziness

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2005 - 05:01 PM

Has anyone have more information to share with us on their experience with smoothbeam?

#56 WishUallBest

WishUallBest

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:02 AM

u guys are one of the few who has successful results with smoothbeam? whatever happend to COOLTOUCH or IPL?

#57 natabergen

natabergen

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:48 AM

Hello,
I am reading your topic and found this very useful to my experience.
I was treated with smoothbeam (3 sessions three weeks apart) two years ago and got hyperpigmentation after.

Could you please advise me on the parameters for laser treatment on face (VBeam + SmoothBeam): VBeam 11J, and then right after SmoothBeam 11,5 J 90/60.
Can these parameters be considered as low/medium or high? For example, is 17 j on SmoothBeam is more aggressive than 11,5? What 90/60 mean?
I was given these parameters but was not informed whether it is safe for my skin...
What could cause pigmentation?
Note: I did not go to the sun in between and a month after the treatment.

What are the risks & post-treatment care? I was 31 years old at the time when treatments starts. Skin photo type is 3 or 4. Mixed European/ and some Asian background. Freckles. Brown/green eyes. Dark brown hair.
Face skin reaction to sun - usually get red even after short time spent on a sun (even though I would not consider myself as pale skin person).

Main reason for treatment: few minor acne scar (more look like enlarged pores on few areas of face), minor capillaries around nose area. Minor acne. Skin is oily and sensitive.
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Best regards,
Nat