Photo

I need a good Moisturizer and Sunscreen that won't make me break out?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
21 replies to this topic

#1 Deadbeat007

Deadbeat007

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:19 PM

Hi, guys!

I'm looking for a moisturizer and a sunscreen that won't make me break out. I tried Cetaphil's moisturizer, but it made me break out pretty bad. It said it was non-comedogenic! Does anyone know of any good moisturizers/sunscreens that I can wear day or night that won't cause breakouts?

I've been on Clindamycin for a month and my acne's gradually getting better and better. I still have breakouts, but each week that goes by sees better results. The Clindamycin, though in lotion form, tends to make my face red and irritated sometimes. I've also noticed that my face is rather dry from my cleanser. (I have combination skin - very tight with a thick layer of oil sometimes.) I was wondering if a Cetaphil cleanser would do any good, or if it made people break out?

Thanks!

#2 ~ Dee

~ Dee

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:18 AM

I'm having a really good experience with Cera Ve moisturizer.
http://www.drugstore...s....x=0&Go.y=0
I'm using the lotion.(-bottom)

& I found an awesome sunscreen. Very basic. The 1st one on the list, 29 block.
http://www.dianayvon...xB/category/18/
SPF 29 Light weight, non greasy physical sun block.
Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide Micronized, Octinoxinate
Other Ingredients: Distilled Water, Polydimethylsiloxane, Dimethylsiloxane, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. - H.P. Lovecraft
"You people are a bunch of fickle mushheads!" -Mayor Quimby

#3 x__Tiff

x__Tiff

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:26 AM

I like Sea breeze naturals hydrating moisturizer.
I haven't had any problems with it so far when I use it.
[ and it has been a on and off thing with how dry my skin has been lately with my newer regimen. sad.gif ]

#4 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:17 PM

I've been using the proactiv one cuz it doesnt seem to break me out and i hav several left over from when i used their line. But I just got this new sunscreen/moisturizer by dermaquest with zinclear spf 30.

I research things like crazy and this seems to be the best i could find:

-spf 30
-No chemical sunscreens so will not create oxidative stress and you don't have to wait 30 minutes after applying to go out in the sun
-Zinc oxide is the only physical sunblock which is good for sensitive skin because of it's healing and soothing properties.
-Zinc is good for acne too (as i'm sure you know) i find that applying a zinc cream to existing blemishes and red marks make them heal faster, so that's a big plus!
- I've looked up all of the ingredients and their are only a few of the lesser ones that have any comedogenic or irritancy factors (Believe me when i say that almost every product that says non-comedogenic has at least one very comedogenic/irritating ingredient in it)
- vitamin C, Vitamin E, and Plankton extract?(supposedly rebuilds cells dna and prevents the suns damage to them)

anyway, i know this post was drawn out, but as you can tell I am very dedicated to find the best treatments (for me at least) and just like to help...
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers
Plenty of Epsom salt baths

Diet/supps:
-Whole body Healing from *moderator edit - url removed - please read the board rules* since 7/3/08=no more acne, sebderm, rosacea, sickness

#5 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:35 PM

well, i tried my new sunscreen this morning. It's definitely moisturizing but the texture is kinda weird on my face. It feels kinda stickey to the touch? Maybe the first ingredient cuz its a silicone based ing....anyway, besides that, their was no redness like alot of products give me so thats good!
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers

Diet/supps:
-Whole body Healing from *moderator edit - url removed - please read the board rules* since 7/3/08=no more acne, sebderm, rosacea, sickness

#6 akko

akko

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:26 AM

Please let us know how you find it after a few days! I'm looking for a new sunscreen.

#7 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

It may be a while before i can actually suggest this sunscreen/moisturizer. Now I've read A site that said a good sunscreen will not have a silicone (di- or cyclo-methicone) in the first five ingredients and this one is- water, cyclomethicone....but it's not "supposed to be irritating or comedogenic.
I work in the sun all day 3 days a week when im not in college, and I can c that my red marks show up more for days after sun exposure so I def need a good, strong, lasting sunscreen. This may be it, but idk yet.
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers

Diet/supps:

#8 dharmaK

dharmaK

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:45 AM

cetaphil cleanser broke me up widin a week,so i've never tried their moisturizer line.as4 sunscreen neutrogena dry touch spf30 works best4 me.it's awsum.

#9 Deadbeat007

Deadbeat007

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 October 2007 - 12:48 PM

QUOTE(dharmaK @ Oct 13 2007, 10:45 AM) View Post
cetaphil cleanser broke me up widin a week,so i've never tried their moisturizer line.as4 sunscreen neutrogena dry touch spf30 works best4 me.it's awsum.

Oh, no! I've been using Cetaphil's cleanser for about three or four days, and I've really liked it so far. Doesn't bug my skin at all. If it doesn't break me out, I'll keep using it. (I'll keep my fingers crossed.)

I was at Walmart the other day but they don't have much selection, so I ended up getting an Aloe Vera moisturizing cream. It seems to work, but I'm not using it all over yet, just on my dry nose and cheeks. If it doesn't break me out, I'll use it once a day, since it smells so good and it softens my skin. Like I said, there wasn't much selection, so I ended up getting Olay Complete Defense SPF 30. I'm not going to use it until I get my Meladerm Pigment Reducing Complex in the mail, since that's what I bought it for. Here's to hoping! rolleyes.gif

P.S. I've reduced my facial washing to twice a day with Cetaphil, and all my facial redness, which was bugging me to no end, is pretty much gone. smile.gif

#10 timmoore

timmoore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2007 - 02:05 PM

ryu,

i am like you. i check labels like crazy. i went to target an most otc spf's have all bad emsuilfers in it.can you copy and past the dermaquest spf and provactiv ingredetient. do you know ano ther safe spf's

thank tim

#11 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

I think the Dermaquest is giving me nasty blackeads, but they are mostly around my lips so idk if its the lip stuff ive been using for my burnt/dry lip. It definitely leaves a sticky layer on my skin, but the ingredient profile is very non-comedogenic. The Proactiv moist/spf feels much lighter and sinks in, but has some slightly comedogenic/irritating ingredients.

maybe the combination of 18.6% zinc oxide and cyclomethicone make it comedogenic

Dermaquest:
Ingredients: Zinc Oxide, Water, Clyclomethicone, Glycerine, Glyceryl Sterate and PEG 100 Stearate, Sorbitol, Imperata Clylindrica Root Extract, Caprylyl Glycol, Sorbitan Stearate, Lechitin, Arabidopsis Extract, Plankton Extract, Xanthan Gum, Carbomer, Ascoryl Palmitate (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA

Proactiv:
Active Ingredients: Octinoxate 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 2.85%.
Inactive Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Diethylhexyl Sebacate, Cyclomethicone, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearyl Phthalamate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Dimethicone, Ceteareth-20, Nylon-12, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Disodium EDTA, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben."

anyways,i may try the dermaquest a few more days, but idk...i will post when i find my favorite sunscreen tho

Regimen
No Soap/cleansers

Diet/supps:

#12 timmoore

timmoore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:15 PM

when i went ot store the only ones i found decent out like thirty.

were ,neuotrgena mens defense spf 20

cetaphil spf 15

neutorgena healthy defense spf 30

what do you think fo those.

i dont if better ones are online, though

#13 mackie

mackie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

Cetaphil makes me breakout too. I swear by Nutraderm, made by the same company. It's liquidier than Cetaphil, u don't feel sticky at all once u put it on.

As for sunscreen, the only one that doesn't make me breakout is La Roche-Posay's Anthelios XL. It's a 'face and body cream' that has SPF60. And it doesn't smell like sunscreen too, which i like. But it's kinda expensive ($27cdn)

#14 jennez123

jennez123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

I found a great moisturizing SPF 30 that UVA/UVB protection & is also a hydrator, its PABA free and oil free made by a dermatologist with optimal pH for your skin. the brand is Joesoef skin care. its like $12 but worth every penny!!

Cataphil made me breakout too. its all about quality ingredients...

#15 Brandy

Brandy

• Regimen Assistance
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:52 PM

QUOTE(mackie @ Oct 19 2007, 06:11 PM) View Post
Cetaphil makes me breakout too. I swear by Nutraderm, made by the same company. It's liquidier than Cetaphil, u don't feel sticky at all once u put it on.

As for sunscreen, the only one that doesn't make me breakout is La Roche-Posay's Anthelios XL. It's a 'face and body cream' that has SPF60. And it doesn't smell like sunscreen too, which i like. But it's kinda expensive ($27cdn)

Which Nutraderm are you using? Does it have a red label or a blue one?

We're all in this together.

#16 His Royal Highness

His Royal Highness

His Royal Highness

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 October 2007 - 12:52 AM

My staple sunscreen is Neutrogena's Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch SPF 30. No shine, no breakouts, little irritation; no fuss. They also make an SPF 45, 55, and 75 in this line.
MY REGIMEN
10g of Pantothenic Acid (5 capsules taken orally 4 times daily).
AM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild, Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Clinique Superdefense SPF 25 Age Defense Moisturizer (#2)
PM: Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild, Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Clinique Super Rescue Antioxidant Night Moisturizer (#2)
AS NEEDED: Clinique Acne Solutions Oil-Control Cleansing Mask, Clinique Acne Solutions Emergency Gel-Lotion (5% BP)

#17 timmoore

timmoore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 01:58 PM

hi what are all of the ingredeints inthe nutraderm and dry touch?

thanks ver much

#18 ryudoadema

ryudoadema

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:47 PM

ya know timmoore, all u really have to do if u wanna know ingredients of most products is google them or check out a site like drugstore.com who usually lists all the ingredients of their productd...don't b so damn lazy biggrin.gif
Regimen
No Soap/cleansers

Diet/supps:

#19 alice1024

alice1024

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 October 2007 - 04:54 PM

I've been using Purpose.... no complaints so far! smile.gif

#20 timmoore

timmoore

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:38 PM

dude, iwantr being lazy, my computer sucks it doesnt download all webpages

from what i checked purpose had alot of bad stuff in it too.