83 replies to this topic

#21 kimmi2384

kimmi2384

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:45 AM

mine was diet related as well.
im using Retin A gel which helps but soon as i gave up dairy i had NO new spots!
to make sure though i went back to dairy for a week and broke out!
now if i have ANY dairy MILK at all i break out the next day!
i havent qot round to giving up cheese alltogether but def cutting down on all dairy products and drinking soya milk has made a big change!
im now just working on those stubborn scars!!

#22 Ghostunit

Ghostunit

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:14 AM

Hi. I've been on this forums for a while! I love this forum because it's helpful. I avoided the bad foods because of this forums! As a result, I'm 100% clear. It took a while,though, like a year? But I'm pleased that I am finally clear. I actually have been clear for two months.

These are my diets and healthy lifestyle habits-

Before I go to gym-
Meal #1 4 Ezekiel bread with extra-virgin coconut oil, and water.

After work out
Meal #2 1 scoop of whey protein 100% isolate from Jay Robb in water, and 2-3 ezekiel bread.

Meal #3 2 chicken breast , big salads ( romaine lettuce, red cabbage, carrots and one avocados with extra-virgin olive oil added as topping. ) and water. Also I use seasoning for meats - Garlic powder , turmeric powder and onion powder. And I use extra-virgin coconut oil for cooking!

Meal #4 2 ezekiel bread and water.

Meal #5 Same as meal #3.

Meal #6 2 ezekiel bread until I get home to make my protein shake! smile.gif

Total: 200g-220g carbs , 120-150g fats, and 200g+ protein.
3k+ calories.

I lift heavy-weights. I started cycling! Bought a road-bike. neutral.gif

I have a job which it's cardio to me! Because all you do is walk, lift , walk , lift

I work at a warehouse

#23 scubachick

scubachick

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:27 AM

That was the one thing that frustrated me about this site, it seems the only thing approaching a "cure zone" here was the regimen links, and for me that's a bit useless because 1. I can't get these products easily or cheaply in SA 2. Because I want a natural treatment. Otherwise might as well go back on the pill. Maybe if enough people ask for an "alternative" success stories page they'll consider building one in....? I certainly would have posted there, I think a lot of people naturally want to share their good news with their fellow sufferers. And it certainly would have saved me loads of time and trouble.

Anyway, someone asked me nicely so here is my "almost cured" story:

I have had acne for 20 years, ever since puberty. My acne is fairly mild, but chronic ie. I don't have "off" weeks or "breakouts" - just a continuous stream of stubborn pimples, which over time leaves an accumulation of marks and causes my complexion to start looking very bad.

I was controlling it through the use of Oral contraceptives (any brand of combination pill seemed to work for me) but I wanted to stop using drugs and find a natural cure.

(some stuff about the cause of acne, sure you know about it already yadda yadda....) So the upshot of this is to manage the hormones which trigger cells into overdrive and this is what I found worked for me:

1. Pure Peppermint tea, 1 or 2 cups a day. This reduces free testosterone levels - got me about 60-70% clear.
2. Controlling blood sugar. There is a STRONG link between high insulin production and acne, so I never allow my blood sugar levels to rise too high. I cut out refined sugars and also have a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon just before I eat (cinnamon lowers blood sugar). I also supplement with chromium.
3. Not having cows milk. I still eat cheeses, but milk has become a big no no - containing all the wrong hormones. So switched to soy. I heard goat's milk is also a more than acceptable alternative.

- Now 95% clear, and still seeing gradual improvement.

For marks: Bio-oil, used directly on the marks, found this needs careful SPARING use - otherwise it breaks me out again.

#24 josh1000

josh1000

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:44 AM

User: Josh 1000
Title: I got 100% clear: so can everyone on this board
Summary: I went from moderate to completely clear using a combination of dietary rules, supplements, exercise, fasting.
Link: http://www.acne.org/...rd-t249282.html

for some reason acne.org is not allowing me to make this a hyperlink even though I've edited the post twice using their "insert link" button. so you'll have to copy and paste I'm afraid.

#25 anonymou5

anonymou5

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2010 - 04:54 PM

This plan is basically an all out attack on yeast overgrowth, known as candida. The link to my thread is in my signature, but I'll sum it up for you here:

Diet
Strict anti-candida diet:

Enjoy:

Spring/distilled water
Vegetables – Garlic, cucumbers, cabbage, broccoli, celery, lettuce, cauliflower, spinach, bell peppers, onions, zucchinis, green beans, etc.
Eggs
Meat - Beef, chicken, buffalo, bacon, goat, lamb, fish, etc.
Pumpkin/sunflower seeds
Almonds/cashews
Almond butter
EV coconut oil/EV olive oil
Apple cider vinegar
Sea salt
Herbs and spices

Avoid:
Sugar (In any form)
Honey
Fruits/Fruit juices
Yeast
Any type of grain (Wheat, rye, oats, barley, brown rice, quinoa, corn, amaranth, buckwheat, oats, etc.)
Alcohol
Peanuts
Mushrooms
Dairy/Cheese
Vinegar
Starchy vegetables (Potatoes, legumes, carrots, sweet potatoes, yams, beans, squash, beets)

Supplements
1. Garden of Life Vitamin Code Men's
2. Carlson Fish Oil
3. Garden of Life Primal Defense
4. Various antifungals (RenewLife CandiGone, New Chapter Candida Take Care, Olive Leaf Extract, NOW Candida Clear, Kyolic Garlic, etc.)
5. Nature's Life Digestive Aid Enzymes (Ehen I eat high fat/protein meals)

Topicals
1. Aloe Life Aloe Vera Gel <--the best
2. Nutiva Organic EV Coconut Oil
3. Bragg Organic ACV + Bentonite Clay masks

Other
1. Work out 3x week
2. Sweat often, use a sauna if possible
3. Lastly, and most importantly, be patient and diligent with your plan of action. Change takes time.

#26 cotten

cotten

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Just wanted to add to this thread that I was cleared using a not to strict paleo diet:

http://www.acne.org/...-a-t260537.html

#27 sepsi

sepsi

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me
  • Interests:health, well being, natural healing, sports, diving, reading, internet

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

I uploaded my before and after pictures to the gallery. Here's the link:

http://www.acne.org/...amp;album=10886

#28 ThatPrimalGuy

ThatPrimalGuy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Would it be possible to have my log thread added? I have before/after photos there (throughout the thread) with the after photos showing me 100% clear from holistic methods only.

Thread here: http://www.acne.org/...56#entry2900656

#29 SurferGirl656

SurferGirl656

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 17 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

http://www.acne.org/...-y-t278656.html

#30 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 December 2010 - 12:38 AM

Two threads merged and pinned. Please post ONLY if you were cleared by Holistic means and please give a SHORT summary of what you did.

Please...no questions as this thread needs to be free of clutter. PM the poster if you have questions.

#31 Me+dots

Me+dots

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:34 AM

I had a discussion with a good friend (36 yo male) who got clear recently (not on the site)

He used to drink a huge glass of cranberry and orange juice every day as a habit.
(He is in a wheelchair and careful to protect his urinary tract)

Two changes cleared his skin:
1. He stopped drinking orange juice.
2. He switched to T-Zone with manuka honey and tea tree face wash (Available in Britain - not sure about everywhere else)

He used to have deep acne that produced loads of puss that looks like cream cheese and smells bad. (Sorry if it's gross)
Caused indented ice-pick scars.

Acne now gone! So happy for him.

#32 Tangerine

Tangerine

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 7
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

Hi!
I got nearly 100% clear from my severe acne within 4-ish months from completely natural means. And not even that many supplements!

My regimen basically includes working on your emotional wellbeing and your soul, as well as your diet, exercise, sunshine, your whole holistic being.

Emotions are the most important! you will never get completely clear if you can`t enjoy your life due to your poor self esteem, ridiculously restrictive diet, etc etc. And any health changes you make will be made more effective with healing of your mind and soul at the same time.

Nutritionally, my regimen involves finding out your food sensitivities, cutting them and anything irritating out of your diet for 3 weeks to two months to allow your digestive system to heal itself and get stronger so that you aren`t so sensitive anymore. After that, you can add things back in and can enjoy a whole range of healthy, whole foods, while enjoying your life and not being so tied down, or having to chomp millions of supplements every day.

It`s best to be kind of strict at first while you`re cleansing, but don`t expect to keep it up at that level forever, or you will never be able to enjoy your new, clear face to its fullest! Just enjoy the journey, and it will be more effective.

Anyway... instead of starting a thread here, I have begun work on my own blog website to help acne victims heal holistically (so I could share it with everyone and not just those on this board). Its in its infancy, but I plan to be updating it frequently with more and more resources and support, so check it out often. Unfortunately I can't put external links here, so check out my profile to grab the address.
If you want to see my before and afters (they`re pretty dramatic), they`re on the about page of the website.

Peace smile.gif It`s possible to get clear! Don`t give up!

Edited by Tangerine, 10 January 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#33 solidsnake88

solidsnake88

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

Had acne for 5-6 years,

Cleared using non-strict cyclical carb Paleo-ish diet whilst also supplementing with vitamin C, E, Chromium, Zinc, Green tea and Cod liver oil.

http://www.acne.org/...p;gopid=3016191

#34 gMARIAs

gMARIAs

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Art, Design, Music, Video Games, Yoga, Nature, Research, Reading, Learning

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

I probably should have done this sooner!

I actually managed to clear up my acne in January of 2010 after having varying degrees of it for a good 12 years. I cut out all grains, processed sugar, dairy, soy and dramatically reduced processed meats. I consume meat, vegetables, fruits and nuts. I've experimented with various food options and have always reverted back to these basics. I did, however, discover that putting small amounts of organic cream into my coffee wasn't a problem, but all other dairy was. I do tend to eat most of my fruits and veggies raw, as when they are cooked, I don't seem to get the same energy boost. Still haven't quite figured that one out yet.

I do not take any supplements and I follow a moderate exercise routine - and by routine, I mean I do it when I want to. This typically involves 30 minutes on a treadmill whilst watching a show of some sort in the Winter and Summer, some push ups, lunges, squats and mild yoga. The walks typically take place outdoors in the Spring and Fall. When weather permits, I hike on the weekends.

When I started eating this way, my skin was quite literally clear of active acne within one week. Within about 2 and a half weeks, it was 100% clear.

#35 paul051966

paul051966

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Daily Workout.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the good advice absyna.

I would like to share some very nice results that I've been getting for the past month, gradual success that seems to be building and lasting. When I try different things, as we all can attest, I might get positive results, but usually will only last days or a week(s). This has been slow and steady for me and it's based on healing from the inside, which gives me greater hope of lasting success. I have not changed my cleansing regimen.

I'm 44 and have battled acne since high school. I always have waxy plugs, very clogged pores, that turn into pustules. I also have a tendency to get cystic acne as well. I first started using b5, that worked for a while, but was not a long term solution I wanted. I then started adding anti oxidants Vit C and Vit E. I started getting results quickly in terms of much less cystic issues, so the infections were minimized greatly. But still, I had clogged pores, oil buildup, and waxy plugs in the sebaceous gland zones . So I was looking for a way to get better oil into my body instead of the bad oil (sat fats), thus the Cod Liver Oil.

I've been using:

Cod Liver Oil (Carlson): Over a month now. 3000 mg daily
Evening Primrose Oil (Health From The Sun): Started 5 days ago. 3000 mg daily
Vitamin C: 1500-2000 mg daily
GTF Chromium Polynicotinate (Nature's Way): 400-600 mcg daily.
MSM (Trader Joe's): 1000-2000 mg daily
Candex (Pure Essence Labs): About 1 week. For Yeast/fungus. 4 capsules daily (for now, will lower for maintenance soon). I have seb derm as well.

Facial Cleansing: Just Wallgreen's Fragrance free salicylic acid based shampoo. Just a very light touch cleansing from the excess after washing my hair. I have a close cropped cut, so there is very little to wash above.

Also, exercise daily to get a good sweat, 5-10 minutes sauna after for additional perspiring.

It's the Cod Liver Oil that made the first impression. I started to get results quickly, better / thinner oil on my face, much less hard waxy plugs. Then it seemed to plateau a bit, but no reversal, so that was in itself good news. I felt I was headed in the right direction. When I added the EPO together with the CLO about 5 days ago, I've gotten even better results. It's not perfect, but it's very noticeable. Now if I get a new pimple, it's very small, and it heals quickly. Even my old blemishes are now healing and the pigmentation is improving.

Since I have seborrheic dermatitis as well, I think the Vit A in the CLO has been a nice benefit to aid in proper skin cell turnover control. With Seb Derm, skin cell turnover is greatly accelerated causing a build up and clogging of the pores. The turnover is less now, so I have to think the Vit A has had a hand in that process.

lastly, I did notice a nice benefit once I started using the Candex. Yeast overgrowth has been linked to Seb Derm as well.

I know I have a really accelerated testosterone level, so I'm hoping the EPO will help control that hormone imbalance, and it makes sense together with the good fats from the CLO and with the Vit A, it's a good combination.

I'll try to post updates as the weeks progress.

#36 *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~ABG Fairy~*`*

*`*~Acne Be Gone Fairy~*`*

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I have a certificate in plant-based nutrition through eCornell and the T. Colin Campbell Foundation. I am very interested in nutrition and am a big believer in a mostly plant-based diet. I look forward to increasing my knowledge further as time goes by! :)

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

BLENDED GREENS (Green Smoothies)
I eat very few animal products, few grains and rely mostly upon nutrient-rich plant foods for my diet. Before I started eating lots of vegetables, blended greens were vital to keeping my skin clear. A few days without them, and my skin would slowly start to break out again.

I still eat blended greens every day, as they are our most nutrient-rich foods, and they are fabulous for your skin! Because of their high content of beta-carotene, which safely converts to the amount of vitamin A that your body needs, I call blended greens "Nature's Accutane." Isolated beta-carotene and vitamin A in pill form are dangerous - best to get them from plant foods!

Here is a link for learning more about blended greens, and if you're still looking for a solution, I hope you soon find what works for you! smile.gif http://www.acne.org/...-G-t108917.html

Edited by *`*~ABG Fairy~*`*, 15 March 2011 - 01:11 PM.

#37 AnneFrancesFelicity

AnneFrancesFelicity

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:04 AM

I've been taking a multi-vitamin, cod liver oil and evening primrose oil for about 3 weeks to a month and suddenly my skin has significantly improved. I just have problem with that pigmentation left over.
I also re-started proactiv, so perhaps it's a mix?
I know what essential fatty acids are, well, essential for a healthier body, and I as don't each much fish, this does the trick for me.

#38 Caylie

Caylie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2011 - 06:42 PM

Just thought I would add what I did to get clear.

I had terrible looking, itchy and painful acne that started around 18 years old and got terrible by 19 when I was in college. Most were pustules, some were huge nodules and left scars. I tried salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide (including ProActiv) with very little results. My whole face turned red and painful with the benzoyl peroxide. I tried minocyclin and saw improvements starting but had such terrible nausea I stopped it in less than a week. I tried tea tree oil, various soaps, etc with little results also.

Finally what cleared me when I was almost 20:

I visited a naturopath and was put on a strict "candida" diet with absolutely no sugar (no artificial sweeteners either), no dairy, no gluten, almost no fruit (only lemon, lime, and blueberries were allowed), and no processed foods. No peanuts and some other random things also. I also was put on supplements- multivitamin, extra magnesium, fish oil, probiotic, alpha lipoic acid, and cat's claw. I cooked at home most of the time from scratch and ate mostly brown rice, meats, vegetables, nuts, beans, and gluten-free breads.

I followed the regimen faithfully and started seeing results within a week, though gradually. My skin was less red, fewer new pimples, old ones healing, etc. I also noticed I slept better and felt just better in general.

It was consistent that my skin improved whenever I followed the diet and got worse again when I didn't. I tested it constantly over the next 2-3 years b/c my parents are doctors and they were adamant that diet had nothing to do with acne. After watching me and trying it on other patients, they are now total believers in the diet and acne connection.

Now, 4 years later, my skin is basically clear and smooth though the acne did scar in some spots. My skin is 100% clear as long as I mostly follow the diet. I can get away with some occasional fruit (maybe 2 svgs a week), bacon, and very rare wheat/dairy/sugar. If I eat more than that, especially sugar or I think dairy, I almost inevitably get a small "warning" pimple that doesn't clear until I go back to the diet. I rarely take supplements now and seem to be able to maintain clear skin without them.

My mom says medical school just taught that diet had nothing to do with acne even though now she realizes the studies they drew from really don't say that (they don't test all of the diet, just one specific food like cocoa). The naturopath said 90% of her patients who followed the diet strictly got clear, but that it really had to be strictly followed.

I didn't use any special creams or skin care regimen and still don't.

I feel SO much better with clear skin and I hope this helps someone get there too.

#39 varzamov

varzamov

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hello
I want to share with you my experience with acne.
All my life I've been on a healthy diet, as a long time(10 years) sufferer of sebborheic dermatitis .
I never had problems with acne (except some pimples), but about 1 year ago I had mild acne on my cheeks.
My grandmother told me that this must be hormonal (i'm 25) so she told me I should drink daily 1 cup of Achillea millefolium tea (yarrow).
I saw a great difference in my skin after just a few days and I was completely clear within a month.
This tea is also great many hormonal related problemes in women.
I hope this helps!

#40 neverforget

neverforget

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:18 AM

Here's my success story:

100% clear after 9 years of acne

I'm still adding details to it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users