Photo

Adrenal glands... Vitamin C... and hormonal imbalance

vitamin vitamins cortisone steroid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 September 2007 - 11:54 PM

I stumbled upon a connection I never knew about... a connection between the adrenal glands, vitamin c and hormone imbalance. I know many people took something for adrenals, and how they mentioned that it played a part in hormonal imbalance... I knew that vitamin C was good for the immune system, wound healing, etc... but never anything to do with hormonal balance.

I started looking into it because I was looking at acne.org reviews on vitamin C and saw this:

when i started taking it, i saw a decrease in oil production and my acne also decreased. remember, the adrenal glands desperately need vitamin c, and if you dont have any vitamin c, adrenal glands do not function properly, and thus leads to a horomonal imbalance, creating too much oil. i hightly recommend vitamin c.

So I kept researching and found the connection directly in detail, so I figured I would share in case some of you are interested

Good article on cortisol and acne relation I found
http://www.skinandag...om/article/6263

I'll post snipets of it, since the whole article is too long to paste:
New Concepts in Potential Stress Inducers

Many of you are familiar with the idea of adrenal androgens playing a role in acne. However, new concepts regarding stressors include the involvement of neuromediators that are released in response to stress. It has been proposed that a variety of neuroendocrine factors act centrally and locally at the level of the sebaceous gland to contribute to acne. That is to say, such neuromediators can stimulate sebum production,8,9 influence production of inflammatory reactions through cytokines, and cause sebocyte differentiation and proliferation.10,11 Specifically, substance P, a neurotransmitter, which stress can elicit, was shown by electron microscopy to act on sebaceous glands.9 The authors noted substance P increased the size of individual sebaceous cells and number of sebum vacuoles in differentiated sebaceous cells in these in vitro studies.

We do know that increased cortisol levels are observed in acne patients and have been correlated to emotional stress.5,6
An interesting example of a specific stressor giving rise to acne and endogenous hypercortisolemia was reported in a 13-year-old girl after cardiac surgery and post-operative complications.7 In addition to her acne, she also had resultant striae.

In this case report, the patient received no corticosteroids, had a negative workup for an internal source of cortisol, had lab results supporting the endogenous increase in cortisol, and medications were excluded except for amiodarone (Cordarone), which could have heightened her response but is much less likely as a causative agent. Researchers concluded that the acne was a result of the increased cortisol.

Also how vitamin C relates to cortisol:
http://answers.googl...dview?id=252375

Another huge article but only a snipet, check it out at the link above^

To understand this connection, it might be well to begin with the role
that cortisol plays in the body. Cortisol is, as you said, secreted
by the adrenal glands, which are located atop the kidneys. They are
made up of an outer cortex, which secretes steroids such as cortisol,
and an inner medulla, which secretes other hormones, such as
adrenalin. As a steroid, cortisol is necessary in normal amounts for
the proper functioning of the body.

A fact sheet from Prince Henry Institute of Medical Research in
Australia says that “Cortisol has diverse important effects on all
parts of the body including:

· mood and wellbeing
· blood vessels and blood pressure
· bones
· muscles and skin
· immune cells and inflammation

· stomach and bowel function

In stress situations, cortisol maintains blood pressure and limits
inappropriate inflammation.” (
http://www.phimr.mon.../cortisone.html )

However, the article also goes on to state that the effects of excess
cortisol
, which include weight gain, suppressed immune function, high
blood pressure and even diabetes, become destructive rather than
positive.

Where vitamin C comes in is that the adrenal glands use it in order to
produce various hormones.
According to this technical monograph from
“Physician Formulated Rx Vitamins (with references), “The adrenal
cortex contains a large quantity of vitamin C. However these stores of
vitamin C can be rapidly depleted during times of stress
, and when
ACTH is released from the pituitary (1). In animal studies marginal
vitamin C deficiencies have been found to cause an elevation of
cortisol levels
(12). As previously mentioned chronic elevation of
cortisol could lead to many detrimental health conditions. Vitamin C
is vital for the synthesis of epinephrine from the amino acid
tyrosine. Epinephrine is secreted by the adrenal medulla in response
to a stressor. Epinephrine and norepinephrine are responsible for our
fight or flight response to a stressful situation. Epinephrine also
plays a role in blood pressure regulation by acting as part of an
auxiliary electron transport system for the last step of aldosterone
synthesis (13, 14). Aldosterone is a hormone involved in regulating
blood pressure, blood pH and blood volume. Supplementing with vitamin
C while under stress has been shown to have numerous beneficial
effects (15-17) . “

Cliffnotes:
Stress has shown it can directly cause acne
Cortisol is to blame
Vitamin C regulates cortisone
Also helps to relieve adrenals in the process
less acne

#2 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:01 AM

In addition, foods rich in pantothenic acid such as mushrooms, split peas, perch, pecans, soybeans, lightly cooked egg yolks, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, and lecithin stimulate the adrenal glands to produce hormones and increase output in response to stress. Anti-stress hormones are also produced in vitamin C rich foods, some of which include hot and sweet peppers, kale, parsley, broccoli, brussels sprouts, red cabbage, rose-hip tea, citrus fruits, and strawberries.

http://innerself.com...erance04243.htm

lol maybe that's why b5 works for some people, because of the adrenals and not for what most people were thinking?

#3 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:14 AM

Another interesting connection I found
http://www.immunesup...cle.cfm/ID/2823

Endocrine system Understanding more about the body’s hormone producing organs, otherwise known as the endocrine system, and how the brain orchestrates this system helps to see its connection to CFS.

Prime organs of the endocrine system are the two adrenal glands, one sitting above each kidney. Among the hormones produced by the outer portion of the adrenal glands is cortisol, essential in controlling proper levels of glucose by stimulating liver synthesis of this blood sugar. Cortisol also ensures that glucose is readily available for proper brain functioning by restricting glucose uptake by body tissues. Another benefit of this hormone is that it breaks down fat for use as energy.

Cortisol’s ability to manage blood sugar levels is important in mobilizing energy to deal with physical or emotional stress. While the adrenal glands have a normal cycle of cortisol production, this cycle is interrupted when a particular stressor comes along and cortisol production is increased to provide the necessary response.

The other day there was a link on acne and blood sugar level/insulin sensitivity so I thought I would throw this out there too.

Cliffs:
Normal levels of cortisol regulate proper levels of blood sugar

#4 tornado_chaser

tornado_chaser

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:39 AM

Good research. I've been doing a lot of researching on Adrenal Fatigue, which is what I believe I have been suffering from. I found a web-site (I think it was www.drlam.com), where he mentioned that adrenal fatigue sufferrers should take large quantities of vitamin C.

Great job in finding the correlation. I've upped my dose to 3000mg of vitamin C since I read that info last week at http://www.drlam.com...nal_fatigue.cfm

We should take an optimal balanced of vitamins and minerals for optimum adrenal function. These include:

A. 500 mg to 3,000 mg of vitamin C with bioflavonoids, lysine, proline, pine bark extract

B. 100 to 200 mg of fat-soluble vitamin C called ascobyl palmitate

C. 900 to 1,500 mg of vitamin B5 (panthothenic acid) as most hormone production in the adrenal gland needs the co-enzyme A, a by-product of Vitamin B5, to be produced.

D. Vitamin E is another important nutrient, which is involved in at least 6 different enzymatic reactions in the adrenal cascade. Take 400 to 800 I.U. of vitamin E daily.

E. Take 10,000 to 25,000 I.U of beta-carotene and other important minerals such as selenium (200 mcg), magnesium (500 mg) as well as important amino acids such as lysine (1-2 gm), proline (500mg - 1gm) and glutamine (1-5 gm) or more in advance cases.

F. DHEA 15-50 mg , pregnenolone 25-50 mg , adrenal glandular, adrenal extracts, licorice root can be helpful.

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:33 AM

Vitamin C is also an antihistimine. It does so many things you need a ton of it and you need it all day long. Most animals make several grams of it per day, more if sick or injured.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#6 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(NdnRomeo @ Sep 12 2007, 10:54 PM) View Post
I stumbled upon a connection I never knew about... a connection between the adrenal glands, vitamin c and hormone imbalance. I know many people took something for adrenals, and how they mentioned that it played a part in hormonal imbalance... I knew that vitamin C was good for the immune system, wound healing, etc... but never anything to do with hormonal balance.

I started looking into it because I was looking at acne.org reviews on vitamin C and saw this:

when i started taking it, i saw a decrease in oil production and my acne also decreased. remember, the adrenal glands desperately need vitamin c, and if you dont have any vitamin c, adrenal glands do not function properly, and thus leads to a horomonal imbalance, creating too much oil. i hightly recommend vitamin c.

So I kept researching and found the connection directly in detail, so I figured I would share in case some of you are interested

Many of you are familiar with the idea of adrenal androgens playing a role in acne. However, new concepts regarding stressors include the involvement of neuromediators that are released in response to stress. It has been proposed that a variety of neuroendocrine factors act centrally and locally at the level of the sebaceous gland to contribute to acne. That is to say, such neuromediators can stimulate sebum production,8,9 influence production of inflammatory reactions through cytokines, and cause sebocyte differentiation and proliferation.10,11 Specifically, substance P, a neurotransmitter, which stress can elicit, was shown by electron microscopy to act on sebaceous glands.9 The authors noted substance P increased the size of individual sebaceous cells and number of sebum vacuoles in differentiated sebaceous cells in these in vitro studies.

We do know that increased cortisol levels are observed in acne patients and have been correlated to emotional stress.5,6
An interesting example of a specific stressor giving rise to acne and endogenous hypercortisolemia was reported in a 13-year-old girl after cardiac surgery and post-operative complications.7 In addition to her acne, she also had resultant striae.

In this case report, the patient received no corticosteroids, had a negative workup for an internal source of cortisol, had lab results supporting the endogenous increase in cortisol, and medications were excluded except for amiodarone (Cordarone), which could have heightened her response but is much less likely as a causative agent. Researchers concluded that the acne was a result of the increased cortisol.

· mood and wellbeing
· bones
· muscles and skin

cortisol
positive.

, and when
cortisol levels
effects (15-17) . “

Cliffnotes:
Cortisol is to blame
less acne

Good research and find romeo!! I actually started adressing this issue, thanks to JoeUK on here about adrenals. I started taking this product: http://catalog.desig.../it.A/id.484/.f

I was refered to this product by my naturepath. The reason I asked her was because I didn't want to take just any product. I didn't want to mess up my adrenals. So this is a reliable one. That first link has the info. But if anyone is interested in ordering it, got to this link to order: http://store.agoodvi...forheadpl9.html. The reason is because on the first link it provides more information as to what it is. But they won't let you order it unless it is by a doctor on there referall list. So I ordered it on the second link:) It says there to take it 3 capsules daily for 3 times a day. But I am only taking one for now. OH, also this product does have vitamin C:) not alot though.

#7 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE(dancedd @ Sep 13 2007, 11:50 PM) View Post
Good research and find romeo!! I actually started adressing this issue, thanks to JoeUK on here about adrenals. I started taking this product: http://catalog.desig.../it.A/id.484/.f

I was refered to this product by my naturepath. The reason I asked her was because I didn't want to take just any product. I didn't want to mess up my adrenals. So this is a reliable one. That first link has the info. But if anyone is interested in ordering it, got to this link to order: http://store.agoodvi...forheadpl9.html. The reason is because on the first link it provides more information as to what it is. But they won't let you order it unless it is by a doctor on there referall list. So I ordered it on the second link:) It says there to take it 3 capsules daily for 3 times a day. But I am only taking one for now. OH, also this product does have vitamin C:) not alot though.

Good info. That's very interesting, I remember reading about the adrenals on here and how someone got cured by fixing their adrenal, and the real cure always talks about adrenal exhaustion and it just clicked when I read these articles I posted, that link. It's also interesting, about the b5 and how it works with the adrenals. You are correct, I did not want to mess with the adrenals with weird substances like DHEA that I hear can cause more acne? (not sure), but the point was I did not know where to begin, and I am glad that this is a good step as I am slowly understanding more. Also how b vitamins along side c and some herbs mainly focus on these. So if you are also on a no carb diet, be sure to supplement with a b complex smile.gif

#8 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 September 2007 - 11:18 PM

QUOTE(alternativista @ Sep 13 2007, 12:33 PM) View Post
Vitamin C is also an antihistimine. It does so many things you need a ton of it and you need it all day long. Most animals make several grams of it per day, more if sick or injured.

I actually did not know that either, that is very good to know considering I suffer from fall and spring allergies smile.gif Perhaps a lack of C played a role in the severity of it through the years as well.

QUOTE(tornado_chaser @ Sep 13 2007, 10:39 AM) View Post
Good research. I've been doing a lot of researching on Adrenal Fatigue, which is what I believe I have been suffering from. I found a web-site (I think it was www.drlam.com), where he mentioned that adrenal fatigue sufferrers should take large quantities of vitamin C.

Great job in finding the correlation. I've upped my dose to 3000mg of vitamin C since I read that info last week at http://www.drlam.com...nal_fatigue.cfm

We should take an optimal balanced of vitamins and minerals for optimum adrenal function. These include:

A. 500 mg to 3,000 mg of vitamin C with bioflavonoids, lysine, proline, pine bark extract

B. 100 to 200 mg of fat-soluble vitamin C called ascobyl palmitate

C. 900 to 1,500 mg of vitamin B5 (panthothenic acid) as most hormone production in the adrenal gland needs the co-enzyme A, a by-product of Vitamin B5, to be produced.

D. Vitamin E is another important nutrient, which is involved in at least 6 different enzymatic reactions in the adrenal cascade. Take 400 to 800 I.U. of vitamin E daily.

E. Take 10,000 to 25,000 I.U of beta-carotene and other important minerals such as selenium (200 mcg), magnesium (500 mg) as well as important amino acids such as lysine (1-2 gm), proline (500mg - 1gm) and glutamine (1-5 gm) or more in advance cases.

F. DHEA 15-50 mg , pregnenolone 25-50 mg , adrenal glandular, adrenal extracts, licorice root can be helpful.

Great information and article, a good site all around. I enjoyed reading that, thanks!

#9 StrengthofBody&Mind

StrengthofBody&Mind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:58 AM

Gosh, all this information makes again marvel at how many processes are constantly balancing themselves within our bodies. Makes me really enjoy human biology.

So would a multivitamin with many of these recommended vitamins and supplements be helpful?
Until the chaotic forces of fate conspire for the sake of our meeting once anew...

#10 Listener

Listener

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

Not really related to adrenals but involves vitamin C:

http://www.cancertut...MSM-Article.htm

#11 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 September 2007 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE(StrengthofBody&Mind @ Sep 15 2007, 03:58 AM) View Post
Gosh, all this information makes again marvel at how many processes are constantly balancing themselves within our bodies. Makes me really enjoy human biology.

So would a multivitamin with many of these recommended vitamins and supplements be helpful?

Exactly, that is what shocks me when people think nutrition has nothing to do with acne, kind of like saying air has nothing to do with being alive. lol.

Yes and no. Yes because it contains some of what you need. No because it does not contain the right ratio of each of them so it's best to take them individually, so you can take a little more of this and a little less of that etc smile.gif Like vit c, you can't get enough from the multi

QUOTE(Listener @ Sep 15 2007, 07:30 AM) View Post
Not really related to adrenals but involves vitamin C:

http://www.cancertut...MSM-Article.htm

Cool info!

#12 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

One other thing I have found in relation to Vitamin C and Keratin production.

Burgerstein's Handbook of Nutrition: Micro nutrients in the Prevention and Therapy of Disease.
Author: Michael Zimmermann, M.D.
http://books.google....R2COUI#PPA96,M1

Signs and Symptoms of Deficiency (Vitamin C)
-Build up of keratin in hair follicles producing roughened "sandpaper skin"

Also in relation to collegen formation:

Vitamin C is an essential coenzyme in collagen formation. Lack of ascorbic acid results in poorly formed connective tissue in the skin, joints, muscles, and bones.

There are others listed, but this one relates to the finding

Other site:
General functions of Vitamin C

Effects of reduced levels of Vitamin C
The major syndrome that lack of vitamin C in the diet will result in is Scurvy. This is a very encompassing syndrome, resulting in the sufferer presenting a number of different symptoms. These include:

* Petechiae – Small multiple hemorrhages of the blood vessels beneath the surface layer of the skin.
* Follicular hyperkeratosis – Increase in the concentration of Keratin in the follicles.
* Perifollicular hemorrhages
* Impaired wound Healing
* Inflamed and bleeding gums
* Coiled hairs
* Ecchymosis – A bleeding into the skin or bruising. This differs from Petechiae only in size.
* Arthralgia – Pain in the joints.
* Muscle weakness
* Fatigue
* Myalgia – Muscular pain
* Anemia
* Depression
* Increased susceptibility to infections
* Pulmonary and Kidney problems
* Joint effusions
* Diarrhea
* Anorexia
* Dry eyes and mouth (Sjögren's syndrome)
* Coma and Death!!!!!

http://whyweage.com/node/14

#13 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(NdnRomeo @ Sep 15 2007, 07:39 AM) View Post
Like vit c, you can't get enough from the multi

You need to take the vitamin C throughout the day.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#14 tdot

tdot

Meow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(NdnRomeo @ Sep 13 2007, 01:54 AM) View Post

· mood and wellbeing
· bones
· muscles and skin

cortisol
positive.

, and when
cortisol levels
effects (15-17) . “

Cliffnotes:
Cortisol is to blame
less acne

My naturopathic doctor gave me adrenal support pills to take... they have vitamin C in em smile.gif.

One day...

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

#15 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE(alternativista @ Sep 18 2007, 02:45 PM) View Post
QUOTE(NdnRomeo @ Sep 15 2007, 07:39 AM) View Post
Like vit c, you can't get enough from the multi

You need to take the vitamin C throughout the day.

I do smile.gif 3x a day, 1 with each meal. Adds up to 1,500 mg eusa_dance.gif

#16 Veen

Veen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

Very interesting stuff! gonna look into this, thanks!
Disease cannot live in a body that is in a healthy emotional state. 

#17 novembershadow

novembershadow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

Interesting. A a random and not particularly interesting story: there's a random pack of super super high-quality, high potency vitamin c in the supplement cabinet for some reason. the price tag is like $40, and it's a small box. it's got like, liposomal nanospheres or something for maximal absorption. i asked why my dad hadn't used it and he was like...try it for yourself. so I squeezed the goo from the packet into some juice and drank it, and promptly threw up. the stuff tasted so disgusting it actually triggered my gag reflex. I thought vitamin c tasted like citrus or something. this tasted like...liquid death. redface.gif so if you ever come across something calle lypo-spheric vitamin c, for the love of god don't buy it. although the stuff looks pretty high quality so maybe i'll be a masochist and use up the rest of the packets, just to see if it helps my skin.

ok so that was kind of pointless. but yeah, vitamin c is supposed to be pretty good for general health. Linus Pauling claimed it could cure cancer. but once the lyposomal nanospheres are used up, i think i'll stick to lemon water.

#18 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(novembershadow @ Sep 18 2007, 08:31 PM) View Post
Interesting. A a random and not particularly interesting story: there's a random pack of super super high-quality, high potency vitamin c in the supplement cabinet for some reason. the price tag is like $40, and it's a small box. it's got like, liposomal nanospheres or something for maximal absorption. i asked why my dad hadn't used it and he was like...try it for yourself. so I squeezed the goo from the packet into some juice and drank it, and promptly threw up. the stuff tasted so disgusting it actually triggered my gag reflex. I thought vitamin c tasted like citrus or something. this tasted like...liquid death. redface.gif so if you ever come across something calle lypo-spheric vitamin c, for the love of god don't buy it. although the stuff looks pretty high quality so maybe i'll be a masochist and use up the rest of the packets, just to see if it helps my skin.

ok so that was kind of pointless. but yeah, vitamin c is supposed to be pretty good for general health. Linus Pauling claimed it could cure cancer. but once the lyposomal nanospheres are used up, i think i'll stick to lemon water.

LMAO that was a great story! It was so bad it enabled the gag reflex? Holy cow :rofl:

The ones I got from CVS taste like orange when you put it on your tounge, I almost had to read the label twice to be sure they were not chewable or candy. It's so tempting though, but I swallow it right away.

#19 novembershadow

novembershadow

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:27 PM

I also just realized that I'm not getting as much vitamin c as I thought. I eat a lot of fruit, and I just sort of thought all fruit was high in vitamin C, but it's mostly oranges. An ounce of lemon juice only has like 20% DV. I thought it was more like 200%. And I don't like oranges that much, so I could actually be vitamin c deficient.

Anyway I tried another liposphere pack. Lol it wasn't as bad this time...still has this really strange, rotten-chemical taste, but I didn't actually throw up this time. rolleyes.gif

Also, people with acne probably need more vitamin c than most people, especially if you use BP. both skin healing and BP create free-radicals, and vit. c and zinc are two of the most important vitamin/minerals in neutralizing them.

edit: Also I just read the full article. I have ridiculously high cortisol levels according to the saliva test I had a few weeks ago...my naturopath started me on a few things for this, but I'm sure some vitamin c added won't hurt, and might help. cortisol can be a problem for people with acne because we release DHEA to counteract the inflammatory effects, and DHEA is an androgen hormone closely linked to acne. My DHEA levels were the highest the lab had seen in ANYONE, male or female...and I'm female. So theoretically if I lower my cortisol levels, I won't have to produce so much DHEA. This is probably the reason for the link between stress/cortisol and acne...the cortisol increases inflammation, but the DHEA is probably more directly the cause of the worsening acne.

#20 Mr. Bigger

Mr. Bigger

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 September 2007 - 09:43 PM

Would this work? Vitamin C with Rose Hips?

http://www.walgreens...;id=prod395059#