Photo

ahh!!! help! peeling skin!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 elizabethmargot

elizabethmargot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 43
About Me

Posted 30 August 2007 - 04:38 PM

okay, so i got out of the shower, and the middle parts of my cheeks where i used to break out were SUPER, SUPER dry - like, rough, thick, dry, and peely. i thought it was all dead skin so i peeled some of it off and rubbed gently with a washcloth - HUGE MISTAKE! i now have raw patches and they are red and raw and it's awful! i put some neosporin and some acquaphor on them, but i'm SOOOOO scared they will take a long time to heal up and that they will be scabs, or worse, SCAR! has anyone else had this happen??? what should i do???? ahhhhhhhh!!!!!! i'm so freaked out!

#2 elizabethmargot

elizabethmargot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

No one else has had an experience like this??? I need advice badly!

#3 Justie

Justie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:00 AM

Ah, that sounds awful hun. Sorry I haven't had that happen. But sounds like you're doing what you should be doing. Don't let it get infected is probably the biggest thing. Hang in there.
Fly Away[sig-img:59]

#4 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 07:38 AM

They'll be ok. Just keep those spots lavished with the Aquaphor. Please do use warm water when you're washing as hot water will just dry out your skin and make it very angry with you.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#5 elizabethmargot

elizabethmargot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE(Wynne @ Aug 31 2007, 08:38 AM) View Post
They'll be ok. Just keep those spots lavished with the Aquaphor. Please do use warm water when you're washing as hot water will just dry out your skin and make it very angry with you.

thanks for replying....i'm so miserable! i have about 3 patches roughly the size of a quarter, one is a little bigger. they are the most awful thing i have ever seen. red as blood, and one i still can't put makeup on, it is too raw, it just repels it. i have to wear a bandaid. i can't believe this.

i had my derm apointment this morning and she said my skin is looking so great (acne wise) - it's finally really starting to make progress, as i'm down to only two or three tiny bumps. but now this! it looks 50 TIMES WORSE than acne or red marks, as they are big, red, raw patches that looks like burns or something. it's horrible. i'm so scared they won't go away any time soon, or worse, that they won't go away at all. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

my derm said acquaphor & a bandaid whenever i can to keep the moisture in. any other ideas? i need them to at least get to where i can cover them with makeup so i can go out - this is awful!

#6 soul78

soul78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE(elizabethmargot @ Aug 31 2007, 11:34 AM) View Post

thanks for replying....i'm so miserable! i have about 3 patches roughly the size of a quarter, one is a little bigger. they are the most awful thing i have ever seen. red as blood, and one i still can't put makeup on, it is too raw, it just repels it. i have to wear a bandaid. i can't believe this.

i had my derm apointment this morning and she said my skin is looking so great (acne wise) - it's finally really starting to make progress, as i'm down to only two or three tiny bumps. but now this! it looks 50 TIMES WORSE than acne or red marks, as they are big, red, raw patches that looks like burns or something. it's horrible. i'm so scared they won't go away any time soon, or worse, that they won't go away at all. sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

my derm said acquaphor & a bandaid whenever i can to keep the moisture in. any other ideas? i need them to at least get to where i can cover them with makeup so i can go out - this is awful!

Sorry to hear about this. I think putting make up on it will probably make it worse, expecially if it is still raw. You should just maybe lay low for the weekend and keep it clean with no make up on it. Also, don't keep it covered 24/7. Exposing it to air for at least a few hours a day will help in the healing process. With these things, less is more I find. Throwing a bunch of creams on it wil likely irritate it. Just clean it twice daily, apply neosporin and a band aid. Then let it breathe for 5-6 hours each day. Should scab over by monday or tuesday. Good luck.

Stopped Accutane due to sudden onset of intense flushing.

#7 Vintage Modernity

Vintage Modernity

Tan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 10
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:26 PM

oh honey - i know what youa re going through....i had that for months at the times (not because i would rub.... just because lol) give yourself time, it will get better sooner than you think. I'm now done accutane... if you wanna talk pm me i'll walk you through it

#8 elizabethmargot

elizabethmargot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:49 PM

QUOTE(tan44 @ Aug 31 2007, 09:26 PM) View Post

oh honey - i know what youa re going through....i had that for months at the times (not because i would rub.... just because lol) give yourself time, it will get better sooner than you think. I'm now done accutane... if you wanna talk pm me i'll walk you through it

thank you so much! i just might pm you. i'm really miserable! finally no acne, and now this??? i feel so dumb for peeling that skin off, but i really thought it was just dead and ready to come off. sad.gif this sucks so bad!

#9 MattyMatt84

MattyMatt84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:08 PM

hey I know exactly what you're talking about! I used to get those patches all time because I would put wayyy to many topicals on my face and inevitably parts of my face would really dry out and peel. And because I didn't want to walk around all day with flaky skin peeling off, I would just scrub those areas to peel off all that flaky skin and that would create those raw red patches that you're talking about. After getting them frequently for a while I realized it just takes about a week for the new layer of skin to grow back over those spots. And definitely don't touch or scrub them at all so you let the new skin form! I think gently applying some moisturizer is ok but obviously not any kind of acne treatment. But yah don't worry, I used to get them all the time and it just takes about week to heal over. It won't scab or anything though. At least mine never did, but if yours are actually bleeding than idk. Are they? Oh and even once they are healed over just be extra careful and sensitive to that area for at least a few weeks because the skin will still be fragile. I feel your pain:)
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

#10 Sara_1987

Sara_1987

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:17 AM

omg. this is starting to scare me lol! the exact same things always happen to use around the same time! first the cheeks that wouldn't clear up and now this!

I just posting something about this in my log:

A couple days ago something happened: my cheeks got really itchy all of a sudden (don't know why really, probably because of the dryness) and without realizing it I started scratching and before I new it I had scratched open this patch of my skin because my skin is thin and sensitive I guess on accutane. (although I actually haven't really noticed any sensitivity...).; So there was this red patch of pretty much raw skin.
it was weird how fast that happened. I put neosporin on it and it's almost healed. I hope it won't leave a scar, but thanks to the neosporin it probably won't!
I have the same kind of patch on my arm from scratching during my sleep.

so yea. I suggest neosporin because that'll heal the skin (it already has healed mine tremendously in a couple of days) and it will give you less chance of scarring.

A month ago I got really annoyed with this clogged pore (really deep) right at the edge of my lip. I started squeezing and all this crap came out (eww) and I finally got it all out, but then I was left with this red patch and I was convinced it would scar but I put neosporin on it all the time and it healed realy fast without any mark whatsoever. it was amazing.

good luck!

#11 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:21 AM

Hi again original poster:

Please do follow your derm's suggestion and keep the spot fully slathered with Aquaphor. Don't let it stay open to the air. That will actually dry out the area and not let it heal as well, and it could heal with scarring.

That's one reason I do suggest antibiotic ointment and a bandaid at night for popped pimples; it really helps maintain the moisture and helps prevent scarring.

But, you'll be okay! smile.gif Those spots will heal right up if you keep them moisturized. Please don't put makeup on them while they're raw. That could interfere with the healing and even possibly put some bacteria from the makeup onto the raw wound.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#12 santacruz

santacruz

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:22 AM

Moisturize. Always moisturize as soon as you get out of the shower. Take a towel to dry your face then moisturize. Apply more later during the day if needed. That's all there is to it.

Je sais plus si tu en vaux la peine
C'est plutôt dur d'en être certaine

#13 elizabethmargot

elizabethmargot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE(MattyMatt84 @ Aug 31 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post
hey I know exactly what you're talking about! I used to get those patches all time because I would put wayyy to many topicals on my face and inevitably parts of my face would really dry out and peel. And because I didn't want to walk around all day with flaky skin peeling off, I would just scrub those areas to peel off all that flaky skin and that would create those raw red patches that you're talking about. After getting them frequently for a while I realized it just takes about a week for the new layer of skin to grow back over those spots. And definitely don't touch or scrub them at all so you let the new skin form! I think gently applying some moisturizer is ok but obviously not any kind of acne treatment. But yah don't worry, I used to get them all the time and it just takes about week to heal over. It won't scab or anything though. At least mine never did, but if yours are actually bleeding than idk. Are they? Oh and even once they are healed over just be extra careful and sensitive to that area for at least a few weeks because the skin will still be fragile. I feel your pain:)

Thank you SO MUCH everyone for replying. I really, REALLY needed the advice/experience of others in this circumstance, it really freaked me out! Matt - thanks so much especially to you, as it sounds like you experienced EXACTLY the same thing...they didn't scab for you? That would be awesome. Scabs look so bad sad.gif (especially with makeup!). Mine didn't bleed either, they were just so red they looked bloody. Seriously, thanks so much for the advice!

Wynne -you are always super helpful, I so appreciate you!

Sara - I wrote back to you in my log - IT IS SO WEIRD that we keep having the same things happen!

#14 MattyMatt84

MattyMatt84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:27 PM

QUOTE(elizabethmargot @ Sep 1 2007, 07:35 AM) View Post
QUOTE(MattyMatt84 @ Aug 31 2007, 10:08 PM) View Post

Thank you SO MUCH everyone for replying. I really, REALLY needed the advice/experience of others in this circumstance, it really freaked me out! Matt - thanks so much especially to you, as it sounds like you experienced EXACTLY the same thing...they didn't scab for you? That would be awesome. Scabs look so bad sad.gif (especially with makeup!). Mine didn't bleed either, they were just so red they looked bloody. Seriously, thanks so much for the advice!

Wynne -you are always super helpful, I so appreciate you!

Sara - I wrote back to you in my log - IT IS SO WEIRD that we keep having the same things happen!

Hey again,
Yah mine never scabbed at all. Basically after the first day or two the skin will become sort of tough and hard over the patch and then in the next few days after that you will see the new layer of skin slowly form over the area. So yah no scab, but that first day or two it will be sort of callous and leathery. Hope it heels fast for ya!
Good luck:)

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds" - Albert Einstein

#15 elizabethmargot

elizabethmargot

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 02:30 PM

[/quote]

Hey again,
Yah mine never scabbed at all. Basically after the first day or two the skin will become sort of tough and hard over the patch and then in the next few days after that you will see the new layer of skin slowly form over the area. So yah no scab, but that first day or two it will be sort of callous and leathery. Hope it heels fast for ya!
Good luck:)
[/quote]

Thanks so much Matt! I sure hope it heals soon. Today it's a little better, but definitely leathery and gross. I hope they just go fast. They are still red too, but not quite as bad. Ick, I'm so dumb! sad.gif