201 replies to this topic

#41 andersoj

andersoj

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (72eusm @ Apr 16 2008, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
News like this is so painful. Phase II and III trials take years to go through and just the thought of something like this out there is going to drive me insane.

Yeah seriously, but at least on the bright side we should be alright by the time were thirty, unlike some around here. I'm jealous of all the youngsters.

#42 Tomza

Tomza

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:51 AM

I want it now!!!!!!!!

#43 tricky1

tricky1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:16 AM

yes i have been following this as well.

this is the second clinical trial since late last year. i think and hope this second trial will generate enough interest for investors. if you guys have some cash invest in their stock biggrin.gif

http://www.summitplc...etrialFINAL.pdf

http://www.summitplc.com/pipe.htm

the only negative thing i see is that they are trying to develop a topical formulation. Personally i can see the benefit of this for a company because most people have mild acne that will only need a topical formula. but there is no guarantee a topical solution will be effective like the oral version.

my guess is that if this develops further they will have a oral and topical version. that would make the most sense.

#44 mfit

mfit

gettinbig

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:50 AM

gimme!!!!

#45 72eusm

72eusm

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:24 AM

I just sent the company an email asking what the criteria is to be in their phase II trial. I'll move out to wankerville for awhile to have clear skin and free drugs.

#46 Claire29

Claire29

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (72eusm @ Apr 17 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just sent the company an email asking what the criteria is to be in their phase II trial. I'll move out to wankerville for awhile to have clear skin and free drugs.

I hope you're not suggesting that the UK is 'wankerville'?!

Anyway. There must be a way to find out which pill this miracle stuff is in. I saw my doctor this afternoon to get a repeat of spiro and I asked her, but she'd not seen anything in the news. I said it was in a pill that was used to treat excess sebum in Parkinson's sufferers and she instantly said Levodopa. So it could be that.

#47 tricky1

tricky1

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE (Claire29 @ Apr 17 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (72eusm @ Apr 17 2008, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope you're not suggesting that the UK is 'wankerville'?!

Anyway. There must be a way to find out which pill this miracle stuff is in. I saw my doctor this afternoon to get a repeat of spiro and I asked her, but she'd not seen anything in the news. I said it was in a pill that was used to treat excess sebum in Parkinson's sufferers and she instantly said Levodopa. So it could be that.

Levodopa? it could be? but I have read some sources saying that its not totally successful with treatment of sebum in parkinsons patients. It only works for some. google "Levodopa sebum".

maybe people without parkinsons respond better to the drug? but the drug also has lots of side effects on its wikipedia page....which makes me think its maybe not the same one.

maybe there is another drug parkinsons patients used to treat sebum? also, maybe the company is not being totally honest in its observations and stating their words carefully to attract investors? remember in the movie "the Fugitive" when they switched the samples biggrin.gif lol.gif

we'll see i guess, but it would be a good idea to find out all the sebum suppressing medications out there for Parkinson's patients. its amazing such a thing has existed for some time and they are only now making a connection.

#48 bryan

bryan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

I guarantee you it's not levodopa. Such a powerful drug would never EVER be approved just for the control of sebum! smile.gif

#49 Snack

Snack

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, the downside is that by the time this is actually on the market most of us will have naturally outgrown acne. Unless I'm misreading the article, it's still probably years away.

#50 Laur.Ox

Laur.Ox

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:COMEDY! Stephen Colbert, John Stewart, Maria Bamford, Whitest Kids You Know, Brian Regan, Jim Gaffigan, Lewis Black, Steve Martin, South Park...just to name a few. I also like...Acting, Baking, Math, The University of Florida-Go Gators, Soccer, Movies-I'm a huge movie buff, Indie Music, Friends, Family, God.

Posted 17 April 2008 - 07:55 PM

I don't know if anyone has posted this here or shared it, but I haven't seen it so I thought I would. This is an article from bellasugar.com describing a possible breakthrough in acne medication.

Beauty Byte: A Cure For Acne?
This is big. Scientists believe they may have found a cure for acne. This hope comes from a study in which the drug SMT D002 reduced the flow of sebum in pores by 90 percent.

The drug was developed to treat a condition unrelated to acne, although its creators will not reveal it. (Nor will they disclose the active ingredients.) What's more is that as of yet, the drug has yet to produce any side effects. This is especially exciting considering that Accutane, the most similar drug on the market in terms of effectiveness, comes with some pretty serious potential side effects. It is important to note, however, that the trials so far have been small, so further testing is needed before any conclusive findings can be announced.

The drug is currently being made into a topical cream, but no word as to when it will be available. I think this sounds like an exciting development — even if it does sound a little too good to be true — so I'll keep you updated on anything else I hear.

----------------------

Would anyone here try it? Sounds interesting enough.

#51 morrissey

morrissey

Callum

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:02 PM

a topical cream? it would have to be a pill, right?

#52 alreadyover

alreadyover

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

I think it would be better as an oral medication. I really hate using topicals...

#53 ligyron

ligyron

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

http://www.telegraph.../nhealth417.xml

#54 dulcemiel83

dulcemiel83

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 8
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

Wow this sounds exciting! Can they hurry up & get it out already?

#55 drdeadly

drdeadly

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:05 AM

woah. Keep us updated on this.

#56 sid99

sid99

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:17 AM

You know they are going to take bloody long to take it out and when they do it will prescription only and have to be done by a Derm not even a normal GP! And then its going to majorily overpriced and they will add something in it so that you need to be dependent on it!

Best scenario even if it will live up to the hypes it wont be coming soon due to regulations, design, testing, infrigments etc. I guess our children are the lucky ones in that case!

Either way hurry the f**k up!!

#57 texasgirl31

texasgirl31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 26
About Me
  • Interests:volleyball, dancing, shopping, movies, going out to dinner, talking, TV, facebook...

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

yes, a cure would be nice about now

#58 warwize

warwize

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

Cure for acne found, say scientists

They claim that the drug, SMT D002, can reduce the flow of sebum - an oily substance produced by the skin and believed to be a significant cause - by 90 per cent.

At present, the drug is in pill form and is used to treat a condition other than acne but a pharmaceutical company plans to turn it into a cream for easier use.

SMT D002 produced no significant side-effects when volunteers took it in pill form...

pretty cool isn't it?

I thought Id post it here just cause I always check the nutrition section, lol....

#59 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

This truly belongs in the research section where there's already a similar post. This really doesn't have anything to do with nutrition and holistic health...so I'm moving it to the research section and merging it with the other similar post.

#60 come back clear skin

come back clear skin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:54 AM

how do i add link? i have an article from the daily mail with more detail about this if anyone can help my crapness on the computer and tell me how to put the link in i'll post it it says it could be out in a year!