Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Breakthrough in Acne Research

54 posts in this topic

Wow this sounds exciting! Can they hurry up & get it out already?

MORNING

Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging/Anti-Blemish Moisturizer (1.5% Salicylic Acid)

Paula's Choice Blemish Fighting Solution

Olay Complete (SPF 15) Sensitive Skin Lotion

MAKEUP

Almay Nearly Naked Makeup (SPF 15) in Honey

NIGHT

Johnson's Head to Toe Baby Wash

Olay Total Effects Anti-Aging/Anti-Blemish Moisturizer (1.5% Salicylic Acid)

Paula's Choice Blemish Fighting Solution

Olay Active Hydrating Beauty Fluid for Sensitive Skin

You know they are going to take bloody long to take it out and when they do it will prescription only and have to be done by a Derm not even a normal GP! And then its going to majorily overpriced and they will add something in it so that you need to be dependent on it!

Best scenario even if it will live up to the hypes it wont be coming soon due to regulations, design, testing, infrigments etc. I guess our children are the lucky ones in that case!

Either way hurry the f**k up!!

Life has a phase for everything, this is just one of them.

Visit My Accutane Log

yes, a cure would be nice about now

Raychel

Current Regimen:

loestrin24 bc in the morning

neutrogena oil free acne wash for sensitive skin (salacylic acid 2%)

aczone gel in the morning and at night

took accutane 2 years ago, acnes back :(

Cure for acne found, say scientists

They claim that the drug, SMT D002, can reduce the flow of sebum - an oily substance produced by the skin and believed to be a significant cause - by 90 per cent.

At present, the drug is in pill form and is used to treat a condition other than acne but a pharmaceutical company plans to turn it into a cream for easier use.

SMT D002 produced no significant side-effects when volunteers took it in pill form...

pretty cool isn't it?

I thought Id post it here just cause I always check the nutrition section, lol....

This truly belongs in the research section where there's already a similar post. This really doesn't have anything to do with nutrition and holistic health...so I'm moving it to the research section and merging it with the other similar post.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

how do i add link? i have an article from the daily mail with more detail about this if anyone can help my crapness on the computer and tell me how to put the link in i'll post it it says it could be out in a year!

just copy and paste the web address:) this is awesome! i'm ready for a cure too that's not as crazy as accutane!

~ Love yourself no matter what ~

Merging with other similiar posts in Acne Research Forum.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=

We need to find out what this undisclosed drug is, how frustrating is it that its sitting right under our noses?!

read the board rules regarding outside links in your signature.

We need to find out what this undisclosed drug is, how frustrating is it that its sitting right under our noses?!

here is the original thread for this topic. this was like 8 months ago and some of the posters did some digging. http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...168119&st=0

also, considering the oral version of this drug already exists there is really no need for the company to produce an oral version. i mean this drug has been around a while and its patent is up, so they could produce another generic version, but i dont think it would be necessary. the money is in cream and rubbing crap on your face, they know that and we know that. most people that have acne have it mild, so this is where the marketing, etc... come into play. just a thought, once they release a product, their secret ingredient will be out.....and thus you could try to get the oral version of it.....i am assuming here of course, but it makes sense.

It appears the drug is a muscarinic receptor antagonist which are used to treat overactive bladder.

This link is the patent application by DanioLabs which was later aquired by Summit. Patent application for mystery acne drug

There has gotta be a way for us to find out what the drug is. Maybe we should kidnap the chief scientist and force him to tell us... My moral side wouldn't be all that comfortable but my self-conscious acne side would be ecstatic.

It appears the drug is a muscarinic receptor antagonist which are used to treat overactive bladder.

This link is the patent application by DanioLabs which was later aquired by Summit. Patent application for mystery acne drug

nice find.

The following study provides evidence of utility of the present invention. Study 1

The study examined the effects of oxybutynin on sebum production in 9 healthy male volunteers. This was double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled dose study

Ah Ditropan. Very interesting detective work.

Yet I can't say that patients I know who take Ditropan (oxybutynin) have appreciably improved acne or dermatitis than others. In fact, one lady had severe perioral dermatitis and others had significant facial and back lesions and comedones. Sebum alone isn't the end-all, be-all for acne, as we know. Other factors are going to be necessary for success including keratinization and perhaps even shedding/ease of shedding, and then of course the bacteria p. acnes itself.

There has gotta be a way for us to find out what the drug is. Maybe we should kidnap the chief scientist and force him to tell us... My moral side wouldn't be all that comfortable but my self-conscious acne side would be ecstatic.

The drug is Ditropan (oxybutynin) and similar drugs in that class, take a look at the other thread.

Breakthrough in the Treatment of Acne!!!

Scientists believe they have found a breakthrough treatment for acne.

They claim that the drug, SMT D002, can reduce the flow of sebum - an oily substance produced by the skin and believed to be a significant cause - by 90 per cent.

At present, the drug is in pill form and is used to treat a condition other than acne but a pharmaceutical company plans to turn it into a cream for easier use.

Researchers believe it could become as effective a treatment as retinoic acid - a form of vitamin A - which is currently used to treat moderate to severe cases.

However, Roaccutane, the most widely used formulation of retinoic acid, has been linked to suicides among acne sufferers.

SMT D002 produced no significant side-effects when volunteers took it in pill form. Around three in every 10 patients taking retinoic acid do not respond to the drug, leaving many sufferers without an effective treatment.

Richard Pye, of Summit Corporation, based in Oxford, said the company was turning the drug into a cream because it was likely to work more quickly.

For commercial reasons Summit would not reveal the name of the existing drug form that they are developing their new acne treatment.

Richard Storer, the company's chief scientist, said: "It is a major drug, but we cannot reveal its name or the condition it currently treats."

SOURCE: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml.../nhealth417.xml

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

I guarantee you it's not levodopa. Such a powerful drug would never EVER be approved just for the control of sebum! :)

l-dopa occurs naturally and you can get it without a prescription, made from Mucuna Pruriens

http://www.americannutrition.com/store/Muc...WID=62362513511

#1.critical nutritional issues- b12(three forms exist), Calcium(yogurt, cheese or calcium phosphate supps) and vitamin d(sun or supps not to exceed 1000 iu). heme iron-most absorbable from meat only, clams are high. these are the most difficult vitamins to get and absorb. All others or about the same in difficulty in absorption. MAgnesium in our food supply is generally low as well, try natural calm supps.

#2 Fats- monounsaturated should dominate(olives), followed by polyunsaturated plant sources(nuts) but not if you have acne. the health benefits of fish oil and fish are controversial and i dont consume them due to mercury contamination and immune supression avoid processed fats if possible.

#3 Protein/amino acids- dairy and eggs best sources for tryptophan and methionine which convert to powerful antioxidants melatonin and glutathione.

#4 Carotenoids- alpha- beta carotene, beta cryptoxanthin, lutein zeaxanthin, astaxanthin. these are vital to human nutrition, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin, chili pepper and cayenne pepper are the best sources.

#5 Regularity-BM at least once a day, Moist, large stools, 1 piece ideal, no maldigestion, no floating stools indicative of maldigested fat. HOW- insoluble fiber- wheat and cooked vegetables. soluble fiber-oats/ good bacteria ferment soluble fiber making short chain fatty acids that inhibit pathogens.

#6 Circadian cycles-Light, get up with the sun, and expose your entire body to it. darkness-melatonin is released upon the sensing of absolute darkness. sleep in a pitch black room, try to ensure 10 hours total darkness, wear sunglasses before bed. do not eat too late at night.

#7 Desirable physiological states(positive moods/emotions) do precisely what you like and what feels good to you, but not regardless of consequences, just from a perspective that, you own your life, and can determine precisely what you do with it and need not answer or ask of permission from anyone,achieving maximum autonomy and self government.

Ah Ditropan. Very interesting detective work.

Yet I can't say that patients I know who take Ditropan (oxybutynin) have appreciably improved acne or dermatitis than others. In fact, one lady had severe perioral dermatitis and others had significant facial and back lesions and comedones. Sebum alone isn't the end-all, be-all for acne, as we know. Other factors are going to be necessary for success including keratinization and perhaps even shedding/ease of shedding, and then of course the bacteria p. acnes itself.

How significant is sebum? Who knows? But what else does accutane really address? because it seems to do the job for me.

I thought this was brought up in an old thread, but was optimistically thinking this was a new treatment. Has anybody dared experiment with what the drug seems to be. I wonder if I could talk my derm into trying it.

read the board rules regarding outside links in your signature.

but a pharmaceutical company plans to turn it into a cream for easier use.

Or to translate, it's easier to market and make billions and easier to change the formulation so it doesn't work as good as the original is what they probably mean :mad:

yea make it so it works *just good enough* so that we have to keep returning to the store to buy another tube :wall: