Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Possible Breakthrough in Acne Research

54 posts in this topic

This may sound dumb but can a derm prescribe Bromocriptone?lol (if i tell him it reduces sebum) he'll probably think im nuts but anyways.. How do we get it?

Actually You can only get it prescribed by a doctor. I do believe though that you might be able to get it if you explain why. Bromocriptone is used for a number of things like male infertility, and I read in an article that one of those was infact acne. I think it would be very possible to get it prescribed.

The side effects dont look that different from accutane?

I don't think it would be that wise to try and get this prescribed and start taking it. If that worked then the manufacturers wouldn't be spending months of research and lots of money trying to get an optimum balance of effectiveness and reduced side-effects.

one can buy the generic version online. under parlodel (bromocriptine mesylate)

About it being researched Accutane is still under the microscope and research is still being done with dosages among other things. It is not exactly safe. Bromocriptone does not seem dangerous.

http://www.oxfordmail.net/business/news/di...e_spotlight.php

Acne drug under the spotlight

By Andrew Smith

Scientists at an Oxfordshire biotech firm have made a breakthrough in the treatment of acne.

Experts at Summit, based at Milton Park, near Didcot, have developed a new drug which has been found to cut the production of sebum, a fatty substance produced by glands in the skin. Excessive production of sebum is a primary cause of acne.

Clinical trials of the drug, known as SMT D002, revealed that sebum production was reduced by 90 per cent among 18 healthy volunteers.

It is estimated there are 54 million acne sufferers in the developed world with about eight million of those resistant to common treatments.

Bosses now plan to develop the drug in cream form and are looking for a partner to ensure it reaches the market.

10:28am Tuesday 15th April 2008

Theres already a thread on this, but thanks for the new info. Me wants.

Theres already a thread on this, but thanks for the new info. Me wants.

Wait, I don't understand. Isn't this what Accutane does... among other things?

Wait, I don't understand. Isn't this what Accutane does... among other things?

News like this is so painful. Phase II and III trials take years to go through and just the thought of something like this out there is going to drive me insane.

News like this is so painful. Phase II and III trials take years to go through and just the thought of something like this out there is going to drive me insane.

yes i have been following this as well.

this is the second clinical trial since late last year. i think and hope this second trial will generate enough interest for investors. if you guys have some cash invest in their stock :D

http://www.summitplc.com/uploads/08_SUMM_0...etrialFINAL.pdf

http://www.summitplc.com/pipe.htm

the only negative thing i see is that they are trying to develop a topical formulation. Personally i can see the benefit of this for a company because most people have mild acne that will only need a topical formula. but there is no guarantee a topical solution will be effective like the oral version.

my guess is that if this develops further they will have a oral and topical version. that would make the most sense.

I just sent the company an email asking what the criteria is to be in their phase II trial. I'll move out to wankerville for awhile to have clear skin and free drugs.

I just sent the company an email asking what the criteria is to be in their phase II trial. I'll move out to wankerville for awhile to have clear skin and free drugs.

I hope you're not suggesting that the UK is 'wankerville'?!

Anyway. There must be a way to find out which pill this miracle stuff is in. I saw my doctor this afternoon to get a repeat of spiro and I asked her, but she'd not seen anything in the news. I said it was in a pill that was used to treat excess sebum in Parkinson's sufferers and she instantly said Levodopa. So it could be that.

I guarantee you it's not levodopa. Such a powerful drug would never EVER be approved just for the control of sebum! :)

Yeah, the downside is that by the time this is actually on the market most of us will have naturally outgrown acne. Unless I'm misreading the article, it's still probably years away.

I don't know if anyone has posted this here or shared it, but I haven't seen it so I thought I would. This is an article from bellasugar.com describing a possible breakthrough in acne medication.

Beauty Byte: A Cure For Acne?

This is big. Scientists believe they may have found a cure for acne. This hope comes from a study in which the drug SMT D002 reduced the flow of sebum in pores by 90 percent.

The drug was developed to treat a condition unrelated to acne, although its creators will not reveal it. (Nor will they disclose the active ingredients.) What's more is that as of yet, the drug has yet to produce any side effects. This is especially exciting considering that Accutane, the most similar drug on the market in terms of effectiveness, comes with some pretty serious potential side effects. It is important to note, however, that the trials so far have been small, so further testing is needed before any conclusive findings can be announced.

The drug is currently being made into a topical cream, but no word as to when it will be available. I think this sounds like an exciting development — even if it does sound a little too good to be true — so I'll keep you updated on anything else I hear.

----------------------

Would anyone here try it? Sounds interesting enough.