Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wynne

What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

95 posts in this topic

I have a nodule on my cheek. It really got bigger on Tuesday evening... I pushed it a little bit, not much, nothing really came out and I ruined a little skin around it. I read that honey can take the hurt out of it, so I put that on Wednesday night and the next morning, honestly it didn't hurt at much and the redness went down a smidge. I did honey again last night and it did help a little more. Also, last night I noticed that it was dead skin on top of it kind of shielding it I suppose, but starting to flake off. So, I'm impatient and think the topicals get to the root faster without dead skin holding it closed. SO I pulled it all off and it was just red... nothing too ridiculous, easier to cover up. I do still have the bump under there though and I'm wondering if I should try something else on it tonight or just continue using the honey? I'm also taking 2 ibprofen's every 6 hours or so to keep the pain away. I would be 100% clear if not for this 1 nodule. Evil little things.

I hear 100% tea tree oil is a good thing to put on it. If I do that, can I put BP on top of that?

Thanks for recommendations.

Actually, my recommendations are in the first post. ;)

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

Sound Advice. Thanks Wynne!

Hi Wynne- Great post.

I had been battling a cyst for a couple months. It had gone up then down then up again and back down. The aftermath was a darker red mark with a smaller purplish circle within it. I went to see the derm and, knowing that my family has a history of skin cancer, he strongly recommended I get a biopsy on the purplish thing. So I've got an opening from the slice that the nurse said to put Vaseline on nightly, but I'm wondering if I should put a neosporin/polysporin on it as well. Any ideas?

Also, I am taking Aczone now (a decision inspired by the aforementioned saga) which has definitely helped fight off inflammation. I've got a deeper pimple (perhaps cyst, not sure) that is brewing right now that I put the aczone on to ward off further inflammation. Would it be alright to use both aczone and neosporin at night?

I don't know what's in aczone, I'd just treat the biopsied area as directed by the doctor/nurse, without adding ANYTHING else to that spot. That will increase your chance of healing it appropriately without scarring. Vaseline is marvelous for assisting in healing almost any wound. It's even used on deep tissue/muscle injuries with success.

If the aczone seems to be working fine for warding off inflammation, I'd use that (not on the biopsied site). I do not know if it would be compatible with neosporin, but most likely it would be compatible with plain old petrolatum jelly, over which you can still apply the bandaid on the new spot.

1 person likes this

Actually, my recommendations are in the first post. ;)

I've been icing, taking ibprofen, and using ointment/honey.

How long do your suggestions take to work?

I do not know anything about honey or how effective it is. The effectiveness of the suggestions in the first post will generally show results within a week. The actual redness of the spot should be reduced within 48 hours or so. I also do not know anything about the effectiveness of tea tree oil. If you find those work for you, continue to use them.

Not all cysts can be reduced quickly; time will generally take care of the majority of the problem. The suggestions in the first post merely help reduce inflammation and redness and pain in the short run and may sometimes help reduce or even kill a cyst but not always.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=

Wynne!! this is so bad, i had this white look-a-like pimple and i poped it and after i used Dan's regime it looks like this now:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8831/picture102k.jpg

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8677/picture103ono.jpg

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7775/picture104m.jpg

what exactly do i do? what should I put on first? how long?

Apply ice.

Take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.

Do not mess with the lesion anymore AT all.

Antibiotic cream/ointment and a band aid for night.

do I get to pick a recommendation? or does it go in order?

please my brothers wedding is on saturday and he will be really mad if i didnt go=[

should I continue with Dan's regime?

please someone help=[

In order, as written. Continue with the Regimen. Don't panic and certainly don't miss an important social function just because of a breakout.

Deep breath and relax! :)

Re-read the whole first post. Everything is in there.

my question is do i get to choose out of these?

Apply ice.

Take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium.

Do not mess with the lesion anymore AT all.

Antibiotic cream/ointment and a band aid for night.

or do it in order...

apply ice for a whole day on and off

then apply ibuprofen- when do i apply it? how often?

and last Antibiotic cream/ointment and a band aid for night. can i put the antibiotic-ointment/cream in the day without a band aid and then do it again with a bandaid over night?

please answer me thankssss

In order, as written. Continue with the Regimen. Don't panic and certainly don't miss an important social function just because of a breakout.

Deep breath and relax! :)

Re-read the whole first post. Everything is in there.

am i blind? lol its a step-by-step right? meaning ice, Take ibuprofen or naproxen sodium, and ointment over night right? sorry im pretty stupid=[

Yes, in order, step by step. :)

You can apply the bandaid at night with the petrolatum jelly or antibiotic ointment/cream. You do not have to apply the ice for a whole day. Just a few times a day is fine. You can even put the ice (protected by a baggie) over the bandaid if you like. That way the ice won't get the bandaid and ointment/cream wet and you'll still get the benefit of the cooling treatment.

You can repeat the ice application the next day, too (and the next, for as many days as you want to). Don't hold the ice in one spot too long. You can even just glide an ice cube gently across your whole face! That feels nice and is soothing to the skin.

That's also in the first post. ;)

Quick question, I did the ice`ing on and off then took moltrin, and jus daped on neosproin and when i go to bed ill put the band aid, question is do i do this same plan everyday till its gone? every night before i go to bed?

U got it ;D

We should keep an open mind, but not so open as to allow everything to fall out.
- Richard Dawkins

I have updated the first post with a bit more information and reasoning/rationale. Along with some language change for our non-US persons: I added in 'plaster'! :lol:

Seriously... thank you.

Just dealing with the real shitty part of having an enormous cyst... so someone just answering me is a small comfort.

I agree, when someone on this board answers its such a confort:D like someone with the same problem cares <3 THANKS PEOPLE! FOR ALL RESPONDING, WHEN I GET CLEAR ILL BE HERE HALF AN HOUR EVERYDAY :D JUST MOTEVATING PEOPLE!:D

...Ice how-to:

Wrap an ice cube in a thin cloth towel or paper towel so the ice doesn't directly touch your skin or just stick it in a plastic baggie. Some recommend freezing a bunch of water-filled little paper Dixie cups in the freezer. The thin paper cups make it convenient to hold and apply ice to the lesions. That’s a great idea from Laura, the esthetician that Willow569 goes to.

Hold the ice to the lesion for one minute or so on, five minutes or so off. Repeat as often as necessary throughout the first 24 hours, but not to the point that your skin turns pale or feels uncomfortable. The ice will reduce the swelling and the pain and the redness. The ice may also limit the development of post inflammatory hyper-pigmentation, PIH, or ‘red marks’.

You could also just glide an ice cube gently over your whole face, not holding it in one spot for too long. This technique will help decrease inflammation over the entire surface of your face. This is also a good technique for use after cleansing and prior to applying your active, medicated topical.