Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wynne

What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

95 posts in this topic

You can put the ice cube directly on the cyst, but that can also lead to skin injury. It's just safer overall to buffer your skin from direct contact with ice.

Cortisone shots get mixed reviews. Some people find that the shots shrink up their cysts. Others develop an indented scar from the injection itself. Some of those who develop an indented scar have the scar fade away over time.

Richmond: Stop squeezing and picking. You'll just spread infection that way. Ice your skin properly, clean gently, and sit on your hands when you have an urge to pick. Try to avoid using hot water when washing as that just increases inflammation. Warm and cool water are much better for the skin. :)

This is just IMHO... If it's that sensitive to the touch, I'd say leave it alone. What would you stand to gain ATM from exfoliating that specific area, if it's already a cyst?

... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. - H.P. Lovecraft

"You people are a bunch of fickle mushheads!" -Mayor Quimby

This is just IMHO... If it's that sensitive to the touch, I'd say leave it alone. What would you stand to gain ATM from exfoliating that specific area, if it's already a cyst?

Well that makes sense, I guess I thought that that cyst are is going to get clogged if I do not brush over it. But yeah I'll think about it in the future! Thanks!

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel

-Finacea

-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)

-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub

-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night

-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel

-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone

*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...1620&st=460

Excellent advice from willow569 and Dee. Thank you both! :) (sorry I didn't see this earlier to say thanks!)

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

I don't know if this has been suggested yet.

I use hydrocortisone on cysts and find that it helps. People get cortisone shots to shrink cysts, so this helps too right?

Okay... dumb question.. what is BP?

Secondly... alright I have this cyst.. going on about 4 weeks now. I had a cortizone shot, it went down, almost disappeared, then whamo! it came back... with a vengeance. Tonight, it had a whitehead. Small but visible. Its throbbing and I have sharp little pains coming from it... so I popped. Not a big pop... of course I never got the core. I am way to whimpy for that... hurt enough already. I barely touched a sterilized pin to it, and pus flowed (sorry for grossness). Then a liitle blood, more pus, then blood.

The hard nodule is still there.

I read your recommendations.. I am icing it now, and have taken ibuprofen. I have some polysporin I will put on later.

I am also on day 8 of accutane. My skin is freakishly oily for being on day 8... even more oily than it has ever been. Anyone ever heard of that?

And still, I really want to know what BP is.

thanks

I use hydrocortisone on cysts and find that it helps. People get cortisone shots to shrink cysts, so this helps too right?

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=

Secondly... alright I have this cyst.. going on about 4 weeks now. I had a cortizone shot, it went down, almost disappeared, then whamo! it came back... with a vengeance. Tonight, it had a whitehead. Small but visible. Its throbbing and I have sharp little pains coming from it... so I popped. Not a big pop... of course I never got the core. I am way to whimpy for that... hurt enough already. I barely touched a sterilized pin to it, and pus flowed (sorry for grossness). Then a liitle blood, more pus, then blood.

I read your recommendations.. I am icing it now, and have taken ibuprofen. I have some polysporin I will put on later.

I am also on day 8 of accutane. My skin is freakishly oily for being on day 8... even more oily than it has ever been. Anyone ever heard of that?

thanks

Seriously... thank you.

Just dealing with the real shitty part of having an enormous cyst... so someone just answering me is a small comfort.

2 people like this

The icing will make the cyst feel better. :) This site is terrific in that we all KNOW the experience and thus we can empathize with each other and provide support. :) Welcome to acne.org! :D

It's not wise to use hydrocortisone. It can damage the skin and allow overgrowth of fungi, yeast, and bacteria. Hydrocortisone is also systemically absorbed via the cutaneous route...not good. All meds have some cutaneous absorption, but you do not want to mess up your own cortisol levels through using hydrocortisone topically. It is ok every once in a while (once a month on a hideous cyst), but NOT daily use even in tiny dabs. Please do look up Google images for overuse of hydrocortisone. See also steroid induced rosacea on these boards and on Google search.

thanks

A.M.

-Finacea

-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)

-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

My lengthy log:

I do understand what you are saying.

However... first off... they scar regardless on me. Whether I leave them alone or not.

Secondly, this one is really bad. Throbbing, larger than a pea and stuck out, a lot.

I agree for the most part --- leave them alone. And I did, for a very very long time. The pus needed to come out, and truth is... it doesn't hurt as much today as it relieved some of the pressure.

Tomorrow, hopefully I can see derm and ask about having it removed... if I can't perhaps he can inject it again.

Thanks

I do understand what you are saying.

However... first off... they scar regardless on me. Whether I leave them alone or not.

Secondly, this one is really bad. Throbbing, larger than a pea and stuck out, a lot.

I agree for the most part --- leave them alone. And I did, for a very very long time. The pus needed to come out, and truth is... it doesn't hurt as much today as it relieved some of the pressure.

Tomorrow, hopefully I can see derm and ask about having it removed... if I can't perhaps he can inject it again.

Thanks

A.M.

-Finacea

P.M.

My lengthy log:

It's not wise to use hydrocortisone. It can damage the skin and allow overgrowth of fungi, yeast, and bacteria. Hydrocortisone is also systemically absorbed via the cutaneous route...not good. All meds have some cutaneous absorption, but you do not want to mess up your own cortisol levels through using hydrocortisone topically. It is ok every once in a while (once a month on a hideous cyst), but NOT daily use even in tiny dabs. Please do look up Google images for overuse of hydrocortisone. See also steroid induced rosacea on these boards and on Google search.

Tell me how disgusting this is.........around Dec 8 07 i devloped this pimple under my skin...it only showed up on the surface as a small pink mark but it was underneath cause u could feel it....but of course I was able to cover it with makeup cause it didnt protrude to make a bump....I didnt do anythign to it thinking I didnt want to make the area more red.....it seemed to go down a bit but it was always still there, never coming up to the surface....finally around Jan 5 or so I think it started to get infected or something cause u could feel it getting bigger under the skin....it left a purplish brown mark on my skin...not a bump on the surface but a purple mark....I imagined it filled with blood or something but under the skin....it was harder to cover with makeup cause the area was purple or dark.....and someone even wiped my face thinking i had something there and was helping me get it off......

So around that time i could feel it getting bigger i started putting BP 5% on it....that did nothing....then on Jan 21 I had a Fraxel treatment......I waited 5 days then started putting Finacea on it on Friday.....i could feel it geting smaller......but tonite somehow it just looked ripe enough to pop....so i squeezed it & pus and alot of blood came out.....so disgusting......I think it was a cyst...but somehow the fraxel or Finacea brought it to a head......cause it never had one before this.....like it was just a bump under the skin....

so now it looks liek a popped pimple in teh middle of my cheek....have to wait for it to scab & then fall off....but im so glad i got that junk out.....

I cant believe its been there for so long.....they say not messing with pimples will make htem go away but i feel that some are so deep under the skin that they will stay for years.....

anyone else agree with this????

Fraxel #1

Nov 14, 2007

25 MJ

Entire Face

2 Passes, few more on upper cheeks

Fraxel #2

December 12, 2007

35 MJ

Entire Face

2 passes, few more on upper cheeks

Fraxel #3

January 21, 2008

45 MJ Energy level 6

Entire Face

2 passes, few more on upper cheeks

Fraxel #4

March 17, 2008

60 MJ Energy Level 6

Entire Face

2 Passes, few more on both sides of face

Fraxel #5

May 19, 2008

70 MJ Energy level 7

3 passes

You risk scarring by messing about with a deep seated pimple.

hey wynne...

thanx for the detailed advice here- def going to follow it - its great how we can learn from other peoples experiences and it makes our lives a bit easier

xx

Arty-Party-Love

sometimes icing and ibuprofren just won't make some of my acne go away. so I'm forced to go to the derm. She removes, what she calls the "eye" of the pimple and injects some steroid to ease the inflammation since the spot is so battered from all the extracting she did. I'm just wondering if the steroid she's injecting is similar to hydrocortisone which when applied to the skin often will result in side effects? I'm afraid because it's almost every week i get some acne removed with that procedure. thanks for any reply :)

---

<3 the regimen

current status: clear but occassional huge zit. like every 3 months or so.

sometimes icing and ibuprofren just won't make some of my acne go away. so I'm forced to go to the derm. She removes, what she calls the "eye" of the pimple and injects some steroid to ease the inflammation since the spot is so battered from all the extracting she did. I'm just wondering if the steroid she's injecting is similar to hydrocortisone which when applied to the skin often will result in side effects? I'm afraid because it's almost every week i get some acne removed with that procedure. thanks for any reply :)

Tell me how disgusting this is.........around Dec 8 07 i devloped this pimple under my skin...it only showed up on the surface as a small pink mark but it was underneath cause u could feel it....but of course I was able to cover it with makeup cause it didnt protrude to make a bump....I didnt do anythign to it thinking I didnt want to make the area more red.....it seemed to go down a bit but it was always still there, never coming up to the surface....finally around Jan 5 or so I think it started to get infected or something cause u could feel it getting bigger under the skin....it left a purplish brown mark on my skin...not a bump on the surface but a purple mark....I imagined it filled with blood or something but under the skin....it was harder to cover with makeup cause the area was purple or dark.....and someone even wiped my face thinking i had something there and was helping me get it off......

So around that time i could feel it getting bigger i started putting BP 5% on it....that did nothing....then on Jan 21 I had a Fraxel treatment......I waited 5 days then started putting Finacea on it on Friday.....i could feel it geting smaller......but tonite somehow it just looked ripe enough to pop....so i squeezed it & pus and alot of blood came out.....so disgusting......I think it was a cyst...but somehow the fraxel or Finacea brought it to a head......cause it never had one before this.....like it was just a bump under the skin....

so now it looks liek a popped pimple in teh middle of my cheek....have to wait for it to scab & then fall off....but im so glad i got that junk out.....

I cant believe its been there for so long.....they say not messing with pimples will make htem go away but i feel that some are so deep under the skin that they will stay for years.....

anyone else agree with this????

i think im going to cry...

i stuffed up. i have a big cyst on my right since monday and i iced it on tuesday night and put BP on it. then for some reason, on wednesday night i had a rush of thought... i decided to get a needle and try squeeze the cyst.

now my whole right hand side is red... i FUCKCKCK up... AND.. i dun think i even got it all out.. its still a bump there...

sometimes if just wanna roll up and sleep forever... :(

i dont know wat to do...

Hey tried this and also used an aspirin mask and it worked very well, my question is how often should you apply an aspirin mask. is it okay to use one every night?

Cheers

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make" - The End, The Beatles