Photo

Flax Lignans blocks test conversion to DHT effectively :)

vitamin vitamins vitamin e menopause

This topic is in the process of being archived.
121 replies to this topic

#1 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:30 AM

Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), a potent form of the male hormone testosterone, can get inside hair follicles and make them shrink so that they produce thinner hair and eventually none at all, she said. Secoisolariciresinol diglucoside (SDG), the main flax lignan, can help prevent this by inhibiting production of the enzyme that converts testosterone into DHT, called 5-alpha reductase.

The study took place at a health company in Taiwan over a six-month period. Ten male sufferers of androgenetic alopecia aged between 20- and 70- years received a 50mg daily dose of SDG in the form of one 250 mg capsule of Acatris' LinumLife Extra.

The condition of their hair was documented at the beginning of the study by photographs and the men measured their hair loss throughout the period by counting the number of hairs on their pillows each morning.

Initial effects of the flax lignans were noticed on average one to two months into the study, says the company, and the end of the period, eight of the participants reported a modest improvement in their hair loss condition, one reported a great improvement and one reported no effect at all. The more severe the participant's hair loss condition at the start of the trial, the more noticeable the improvement.

Half the subjects also noted decreased oil secretion in their scalp. No adverse effects were reported.

http://www.nutraingr...-flax-lignans-a

LinumLife EXTRA the lignan extract

LinumLife EXTRA is a 20% lignan extract from flax. The flax lignan SDG (Secoisolariciresinol diglycoside) is scientifically associated to benefits for prostate, menopause, hair loss, acne and heart health.

http://www.nutraingr...inumlife-lignan

Lignans

Lignans serve in the body to block two critical enzyme systems that serve to initiate prostate cancer and benign prostatic hyperplasia. The first is aromatase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to a powerful testosterone derivative that is five times more powerful than its precursor in promoting prostatic disease. The second is 5-alpha reductase, an enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogen. Despite popular belief, estrogen is much more powerful in provoking prostate disease than testosterone. In fact, the ratio of testosterone to estrogen begins to weigh in favor of estrogen in the aging male. As testosterone levels decline with age, estrogen levels appear to remain relatively stable. Compared to younger men, the ratio of estrogen to testosterone is up to 40 percent higher in older men.

http://www.barleans....107OmegaMan.htm

Research shows that the flax lignan, secoisolariciresinol diglucoside (SDG) plays an important role in cardiovascular health. When SDG is metabolized, it releases powerful antioxidant activity that is up to five times more potent than vitamin E. Research found that people taking flaxseed daily reduced total and bad (LDL) cholesterol levels because whole flaxseed contains several heart healthy components like fatty acids, fiber and lignans, Studies suggest that the heart benefits of SDG may be due to its antioxidant activity and lipid lowering effects.

http://www.usomega3f...om/lignans.html

#2 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 11:33 AM

Sweet, they actually have Flax Lignan Extract supplements

http://www.vitacost....FlaxSeedLignans

Anyone willing to try?

#3 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Very interesting post.

C'mon, someone needs to step up and be a guinea pig for us. smile.gif smile.gif

#4 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE(Dotty1 @ Aug 10 2007, 01:02 PM) View Post
Very interesting post.

C'mon, someone needs to step up and be a guinea pig for us. smile.gif smile.gif

Another good thing is it's price effective, and supposedly better than saw palmetto if the information is true.

#5 Cyph31

Cyph31

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:22 PM

i think i'll just eat flax instead of blowing money on another supplement

#6 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

Ok so I am doing some math work

Just the flax
Flaxseed's composition is approximately 40% fat, 28% dietary fiber, 21% protein, 4% ash and 6% carbohydrate. The carbohydrate portion includes sugars, phenolic acids, lignans and hemicellulose.

http://www.foodprodu...04/1104INI.html

So the lignan is encorporated into the carbohydrate portion, which we know is less than 6%. Realistically, it's probably 1% (we'll do this as a worse case scenario).

Now, the effective dose is 50 mg of flax lignan per day to be effective.

In a cup of flax seeds (raw) there is

1 cup = 168 grams
Which is the same as
1 cup = 168,000 mg

http://www.nutrition...01-01c20p1.html

So the math is simple. 1% of 168,000 mg = 1.68 grams (1680 mg) of lignans (about, if it is 1%)

So even a half a cup of raw flax seeds is adequate. And that is why flax seed oil will also not suffice because it does not include it since flax seed oil contains NO carbohydates at all.

cliffnotes:

1 cup of flax SEEDS = 168,000 mg. The lignan portion in flax seeds = less than 6%. If we assume it's 1% (granted it's possibly a little more), than we would get 1680 mg of lignans per cup. The effective daily dose is 50 mg in trials. If we even assume that it's less than a fraction of a percent, it's still more than enough.

Also, each cup has 38 grams of ALA which is about 3 to 3.8 grams of epa/dha (after the conversion factor)

So basically if anyone wants to try, buy raw flax seeds (not flax seed oil!) and eat at least a half a cup a day. It's not that much, you can snack on it I am sure. It may even be better than the supplements.

#7 Dotty1

Dotty1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:29 PM

Well, now Im sitting on the couch with my laptop spooning ground up flack crumbs into my mouth.

#8 Apple_Blossem

Apple_Blossem

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Health, Diet, Animals, Travel, Languages (fluent in French - well, I can get by, LOL), Composing Music on my piano and playing the piano, Dance & Competition, Ballet en Pointe, History (seeing historical sites, rather), studying, Taking Walks, Drawing, Spirituality... etc

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

I wonder how long it will take to see results. I'm always impatient about these things.

#9 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

great info, started to take 4 tablespoons of milled flax seeds per day on Wednesday, more for the fibre than anything else, seeing as wheat (cereals) may be a problem. i wonder how much flax seeds you need to ingest to benefit from lignan. have'nt really noticed any supplements to this effect.

#10 Lilo

Lilo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:35 PM

ok, half a cup, cool, its nice with a bit of organic yoghurt and honey.

#11 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:38 PM

I'm going to go and buy some since I am going out right now anyway. I hope this is all it's cracked up to be.

#12 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Apple_Blossem @ Aug 10 2007, 01:30 PM) View Post
I wonder how long it will take to see results. I'm always impatient about these things.

We all are impatient sad.gif I would give it 3 weeks, make it just a part of your diet perhaps, or just buy the supps =)

#13 Apple_Blossem

Apple_Blossem

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Health, Diet, Animals, Travel, Languages (fluent in French - well, I can get by, LOL), Composing Music on my piano and playing the piano, Dance & Competition, Ballet en Pointe, History (seeing historical sites, rather), studying, Taking Walks, Drawing, Spirituality... etc

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:46 PM

I just called around and no body sells the lignans. They dont even think it exists. They keep trying to tell me to buy the flax seed oil or ground up seeds.

The only place is on the internet.

#14 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE(Apple_Blossem @ Aug 10 2007, 01:46 PM) View Post
I just called around and no body sells the lignans. They dont even think it exists. They keep trying to tell me to buy the flax seed oil or ground up seeds.

The only place is on the internet.

Yes, you should just use flax seeds, you won't find lignans unless it's in supplement form like the link in the second post.

#15 Apple_Blossem

Apple_Blossem

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

Okay, I'm joining Dotty and eating my flax seeds with a spoon. LOL

#16 Apple_Blossem

Apple_Blossem

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:37 PM

So if I bought that supplement, wouldnt I need to take 250mg of Lignan? like in the study?

#17 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Apple_Blossem @ Aug 10 2007, 02:37 PM) View Post
So if I bought that supplement, wouldnt I need to take 250mg of Lignan? like in the study?

Nope, "50mg daily dose of SDG in the form of one 250 mg capsule "

And the capsules are standardized to 40 mg, which is 20% of the total (listed in the ingredients)

#18 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

I bought some raw organic flax seeds. I bought a dollar's worth to experiment. The taste is rich, and makes me a bit queesy, especially trying to get down just an 1/8 of a cup. I think I will opt out for the capsules. It's the feeling you would get when you eat too many peanuts.

I will have to find a creative way to eat this, maybe fine grind it and add it to some rice milk

#19 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Loving a Princess.

Posted 10 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=HF-1070

Has the perfect ratio of 3,6,9, very high quality (sealed correct and not rancid and has Lignans! try beat it and ill give you a gold star!

#20 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 August 2007 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE(jodiat @ Aug 10 2007, 03:59 PM) View Post
http://www.vitaminsh....jsp?id=HF-1070

Has the perfect ratio of 3,6,9, very high quality (sealed correct and not rancid and has Lignans! try beat it and ill give you a gold star!

I went to the groceries just about 30 minutes ago to pick up the flax seeds. I saw something similar, but noticed the amount of lignan was not cost effective. They had about 20 mg of lignans, which cost about a dollar a serving. This one doesn't seem to show the amount of lignan's. It also works out to about a dollar a day. I think the supplement lignan extract capsules work out to the best. $20 will last about 4 months if taken at 40 mg per day.