Photo

Advice on cleanser/moisterizer?

canada oily skin

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 1987

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:29 PM

Right now I'm just finishing off with what's left of my proactiv. Not really happy with the 3 step stuff they give for around 80$. Gonna be starting Dan's regimen soon with otc stuff from shopper's or something then if that doesn't work I'll order the 3 items off this site.

I have mild acne. Mostly a lot of whiteheads all over my nose and some big ones on my cheeks that just keep coming. Also I moisterize morning and night because I have dry skin but around dinner time my nose area gets pretty oily. Does what kinda cleanser matter that much? Right now I have a half bottle of neutrogena clean and clear cleanser - normal to oily skin laying around. Not sure what kinda moisterizer I should be using morning/night. Right now I'm using this St. Ives cucumber melon body moisterizer I found in my house. Body/face moisterizer is that the same thing? eusa_think.gif

Also when I'm looking for these products should I be aware of any ingredients that I should stay away from? Oh and some off topic stuff...Jojobay oil? not sure if i'm spelling it right but is that to help with oily skin or just people with dry skin. Try to keep the products from shopper's if possible(it's like 5mins from my house eusa_whistle.gif ).

So to sum it up:

-Will any cleanser do? (ingredients I should look for and stay away from)
-What kind of moisterizer? (^^)
-Something to fight my oily skin?

#2 battle

battle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hello

Im not from Canada but maybe I can help with your questions.
Most people stay away from sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate in their cleansers as it can irritate the skin and petrochemicals and propylene gylcol. I think that gentle cleansers are the best bet if you are using other actives in your regime. Most products that are made for "oily skin" can strip the moisture from your skin.

I dont advice you to use the body moisturiser for your face though, as the one for body maybe more richer so can cause breakouts. Do try jojoba oil. I am using it right now and it really does control the oilies really well, however, what I found to be the best product for my once oily skin is pearl cream at www.silkenpearls.com Its a canadian homebased business and she makes the most amazing pearl cream, which hasnt helped with my acne but has definately made my skin softer and oil free.
About the jojoba oil, sometimes I dont even need to use moisturiser as I find that a few drops of it will keep me moisturised all day long. Of course you can add essential oils to the jojoba oil like ylang ylang. I have read that Decleor's ylang ylang oil is excellent for oily skin but its expensive and theres an alternative homemade recipe for this or you can purchase it from an US homebased company.

Hope this helps

#3 colbert4pres

colbert4pres

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:48 PM

i like aveeno

#4 Moppie

Moppie

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 16 January 2008 - 02:04 PM

So to sum it up:

-Will any cleanser do? (ingredients I should look for and stay away from)
-What kind of moisterizer? (^^)
-Something to fight my oily skin?
[/quote]

1. ok heres the deal... on acne.org they have a section on over the counter products... and you can read peoples testimonals on the products...
I read this area before I bought anything... you could do that...

2. I have oily skin too... I initial just washed and treated my skin with the over the counter products... my skin started flaking terribly... i came back to acne.org for advice..
then I watched the videos of Dan doing the regimen...very insightful...

3. I believe that these products will work.. dans products or the suggested equivalents...
just be gentle and patient...

hope this helps...

#5 greyjae

greyjae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:20 PM

check out the products i've been using. i had moderate acne for years (including an oily t-zone) until i started dan's regimen. i get a blemish every once in a blue moon, but 99% of the time my skin is completely clear. it really was a miracle for me. hope this helps. all the best!

#6 iceboi

iceboi

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 January 2008 - 01:31 AM

Check out Complex 15 moisturizer thats the best lotion you can use for acne prone skin. You can also use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel. I find its a great gel instead of a moisturizer I use this. Most people find that this stuff dries their skin or makes it tight.

#7 Fredrick1973

Fredrick1973

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 February 2008 - 05:29 AM

This is to all who plan to use Proactiv's cleanser/moisterizer, beware you may face a similar situation of your skin as I had experienced when I used their product for treating my mild acne. Proactiv sucks.

I had mild acne with a few blackheads around my nose and some on my cheeks which came on and off. I started using proactiv and after a week, I started to see more and more of these blackheads and red lumps all over my face. I immediately stopped and after advice from my dermo switched to Clear Pores acne system, which helped me in getting rid of my acne and blackheads. What I feel is that proactiv products only have an advertisement hype but are ineffective in curing.

#8 Guest_MarifreakinA_*

Guest_MarifreakinA_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

Try a Burts Bees cleanser, it doesn't irritate the skin, it leaves it feeling moisturized and clean, there are so many good reviews on anything having to do with Burts Bees.

#9 platinumluv

platinumluv

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

I HAVE SOMETHING TOTALLY EASY AND WORKS - trust me on this one. I've been doing this for a year, my skin has never looked better since i was 13 years old. I had really bad acne, now if i get one bump on my cheek and complain, my new boyfriend asks why i'm freaking out because i don't break out..haha! If only he knew.... eusa_dance.gif

PANOXYL AQUAGEL ANTIBACTERIAL AQUAGEL - it's 5% BP, and water-based so it absorbs well. Yuu will find it at Shoppers Drug Mart for about 12.99 and Walmart for 9.98.
Panoxyl carries 2 kinds of BP so make sure its the AQUAGEL. I've been using this consistently for a year (i can't find money for groceries, but i will ALWAYS find money for my Panoxyl aquagel, haha!). My skin has never been better in 17 years - im going on 30.

JOHNSON'S (or generic brand) BABY BODY WASH as a cleanser.

JOHNSON'S (or generic brand) BABY LOTION as my moisturizer:
I never would have thought i could use this! I ran out of my Complex 15 moisturizer (it was a little too greasy by midday anyways), so i used some of my friends baby lotion cause i was staying with her for a few months, and I think the baby lotion actually helped to clear my skin. It was....calming.

The whole point of Dan's regimine is to be totally gentle with your skin, the baby products do just that. I was really hesitant when someone told me to try it - but i haven't looked back. You can check the ingredients..there hardly are any!!

L'OREAL BARE NATURAL MINERAL FOUNDATION: the best foundation ever.

#10 tv_viewer

tv_viewer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Spectro Derm Cleanser for Dry Skin.
I believe the other types of Spectro Jel contain alcohol and the "Senesitive Problem Prone Skin" kind is scented. The Dry Skin formula is the mildest I've tried and will still work for oily skin.

Dove Sensitive Skin Day Lotion. My skin has cleared up soooo much from using this.

#11 ujacne

ujacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (platinumluv @ May 1 2009, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I HAVE SOMETHING TOTALLY EASY AND WORKS - trust me on this one. I've been doing this for a year, my skin has never looked better since i was 13 years old. I had really bad acne, now if i get one bump on my cheek and complain, my new boyfriend asks why i'm freaking out because i don't break out..haha! If only he knew.... eusa_dance.gif

PANOXYL AQUAGEL ANTIBACTERIAL AQUAGEL - it's 5% BP, and water-based so it absorbs well. Yuu will find it at Shoppers Drug Mart for about 12.99 and Walmart for 9.98.
Panoxyl carries 2 kinds of BP so make sure its the AQUAGEL. I've been using this consistently for a year (i can't find money for groceries, but i will ALWAYS find money for my Panoxyl aquagel, haha!). My skin has never been better in 17 years - im going on 30.

JOHNSON'S (or generic brand) BABY BODY WASH as a cleanser.

JOHNSON'S (or generic brand) BABY LOTION as my moisturizer:
I never would have thought i could use this! I ran out of my Complex 15 moisturizer (it was a little too greasy by midday anyways), so i used some of my friends baby lotion cause i was staying with her for a few months, and I think the baby lotion actually helped to clear my skin. It was....calming.

The whole point of Dan's regimine is to be totally gentle with your skin, the baby products do just that. I was really hesitant when someone told me to try it - but i haven't looked back. You can check the ingredients..there hardly are any!!

L'OREAL BARE NATURAL MINERAL FOUNDATION: the best foundation ever.

Im going to start using johnsons baby lotion and wash regurlarly too! The lotion was just as good if not better than the clinique dramatically different moisturizing gel and its way cheaper and its cooler haha, and the wash i havent tried yet but itll have the "no tears" stuff and used with BP I hope it will keep me from breaking out like you too smile.gif it doesnt make your skin really oilly right? Amazing! I want a baby exfoliator now tongue.gif