6 replies to this topic

#1 SugarApple

SugarApple

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:38 PM

So my derm prescribed that I use Differin(the new 0.3% gel yay!) and Benzaclin both once daily. I have a few questions, some that I asked him but I want to get the view from you guys, you know, the people that are actually paying really close attention to what happens lol.gif

So...

I asked my derm if it would get worse before it got better and he said probably not. I was relieved to hear that as I have school starting in 3 weeks. Then I read some stuff on here about the IB and I was wondering how many of you actually experienced it and how bad it was? I have mild acne, so do you think that the initial breakout, if I have one, will be small?

Also, I was wondering how many of you are currently doing exactly what I'm doing right now, Differin and Benzaclin together? How is it working for you?

I also know that Differin and Benzaclin, like most retinoids and acne stuff in general are pretty drying. Up until know I've been using ACV, and Sea Salt to just try to control my acne until seeing a derm and so Aloe Vera worked well as a moisturizer. Especially with it's red mark fading quality. eusa_dance.gif
Unfortunately, I think that I'm going to be needing a stronger moisturizer because my skin is just barely moisturized enough as it is with Aloe Vera. So I need a good moisturizer that I can get at the drugstore that won't break me out. I've heard that neutrogena makes good ones? Any suggestions?

Oh, and I know that it's VERY important to be exfoliating. Which method do you think would be best with my topicals? I like st. ive's but I don't want to be putting much on my face other than what the derm has prescribed me. So I think I'll go with the baby hair brush method?

Any other tips or advice for Differin and Benzaclin is welcome! I want to hear about your experiences(good experiences=bonus wink.gif) Thanks!

Went to the derm on 7/27/07 and started this regimen:

Morning:
Exfoliate with St. Ive's Apricot Scrub
Wash face with Cetaphil Cleanser
Moisturize with Neutrogena Oil-Free spf 15
Apply makeup

Evening:

Differin(gel 0.3%)-pea size
Benzaclin-pea size

Makeup:

Signature Minerals
Concealer, Foundation, Blush, Finishing Veil

My Blog-aroo

#2 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me
  • Interests:Dancing, feline rescue volunteering, music

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(SugarApple @ Jul 27 2007, 03:38 PM) View Post
So my derm prescribed that I use Differin(the new 0.3% gel yay!) and Benzaclin both once daily. I have a few questions, some that I asked him but I want to get the view from you guys, you know, the people that are actually paying really close attention to what happens lol.gif

So...

I asked my derm if it would get worse before it got better and he said probably not. I was relieved to hear that as I have school starting in 3 weeks. Then I read some stuff on here about the IB and I was wondering how many of you actually experienced it and how bad it was? I have mild acne, so do you think that the initial breakout, if I have one, will be small?

Also, I was wondering how many of you are currently doing exactly what I'm doing right now, Differin and Benzaclin together? How is it working for you?

I also know that Differin and Benzaclin, like most retinoids and acne stuff in general are pretty drying. Up until know I've been using ACV, and Sea Salt to just try to control my acne until seeing a derm and so Aloe Vera worked well as a moisturizer. Especially with it's red mark fading quality. eusa_dance.gif
Unfortunately, I think that I'm going to be needing a stronger moisturizer because my skin is just barely moisturized enough as it is with Aloe Vera. So I need a good moisturizer that I can get at the drugstore that won't break me out. I've heard that neutrogena makes good ones? Any suggestions?

Oh, and I know that it's VERY important to be exfoliating. Which method do you think would be best with my topicals? I like st. ive's but I don't want to be putting much on my face other than what the derm has prescribed me. So I think I'll go with the baby hair brush method?

Any other tips or advice for Differin and Benzaclin is welcome! I want to hear about your experiences(good experiences=bonus wink.gif) Thanks!

You may get more replies in the Prescription medication section. So, I'll move your topic there after my responses.

People seem to have a wide variety of experiences with Differin. For some people, it clears them up really well without any IB. For others (like me, unfortunately) Differin wasn't effective. I had very mild acne when I started Differin (I was clear most of the time, but would get recurring inflamed spots on my forehead and the occasional inflamed chin spot during PMS week). My doctor also told me my acne shouldn't flare, but it did. My chin (which was clear when I started the Differin) got lots of inflamed acne that just never went away. I gave up on it after 2 1/2 months. I did end up getting clear after going to an esthetician owned acne clinic. The Differin just didn't work for me for some reason. I think maybe because I wasn't on a good antibacterial, and wasn't on any antibiotics. In your case, the benzaclin may help reduce the chance of getting an IB (or at least reduce the severity of it).

As to advice -

-If you get any irritation from the Differin, considering reducing the application to every other day. And don't use more than is recommended.

-While your skin is adjusting to the new products I would discontinue the ACV and the sea salt. They may irritate or over-dry your skin, Retinoids can make your skin more sensitive to other products, you need to be very gentle with your skin for awhile.

-Are you still using the scrub that is listed in your sig? If so, you really should ditch it - that is a pretty harsh product that I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Especially someone on a retinoid. I wouldn't worry about manual exfoliation at the moment - the Differin will help some with exfoliation, and again - you want to be gentle with your skin now. Wait to see how your skin is going to respond to the Differin. If you are getting no dryness or irritation, and you are getting flaking or peeling, you might consider a gentle method of exfoliation. For now, just get a gentle cleanser. Maybe try the baby brush method later, after your skin has had a chance to adapt to the Differin.

Good luck with your treatment!!!

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#3 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:59 AM

I use Differin and Benzamycin (very similar to Benzaclin). It is working very well, although the oral antibiotic may be helping with that. You don't need to exfoliate manually (i.e. a scrub) if you are using Differin. That is doing exfoliation for you already, just chemically.

IB...well I started with Benzamycin alone. I got a very bad IB from weeks 2-5. My acne was already getting pretty severe by the time I started the Benzamycin though. I've been on Benzamycin 11 or 12 weeks now, and my acne didn't start getting better until about week 6. I started Differin about 4 weeks ago, and an oral antibiotic 2 weeks before that. I got a small IB from the Differin during weeks 2 and 3, but nothing like before. Mostly small little bumps and only a few inflammed pimples. It wasn't too bad and didn't really bother me that much. Good luck!
Cleanser: Purpose, twice a day. Love it!

Rx:
Loestrin Fe 24 (birth control)
Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

#4 SugarApple

SugarApple

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 17
About Me

Posted 31 July 2007 - 08:23 PM

Thanks both of you for replying!

First of all, yeah I'm not using ACV or Sea Salt right now. I probably won't ever go back to it.

I am getting pretty dry from the two topicals together. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to be exfoliating along with the Differin, but now that you explain it, it does make since just to let the retinoid do the work. I should have figured that out before eusa_doh.gif So I'll stop using that, and maybe it will help a little bit.

I'm wondering if I should reduce it to every other day. I'll call my derm before I do but tonight I had to actually put ice on my face because it was burning pretty bad. sad.gif It's totally fine though after moisturizing.

Anyway, I really hope the IB isn't that bad if I do get one, because it would be right around the time that I go back to school cry.gif It hasn't really been getting worse though, except for a skin colored cyst like thing right next to my eyebrow. I wish I could dig it out of my skin but that would be a very bad idea haha

I'll cut out the Apricot scrub and see if the irritation is a little less Thanks smile.gif
Went to the derm on 7/27/07 and started this regimen:

Morning:
Exfoliate with St. Ive's Apricot Scrub
Apply makeup

Evening:

Differin(gel 0.3%)-pea size
Benzaclin-pea size

Makeup:

Signature Minerals
Concealer, Foundation, Blush, Finishing Veil

My Blog-aroo

#5 Guest_Rocky666_*

Guest_Rocky666_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (SugarApple @ Jul 31 2007, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks both of you for replying!

First of all, yeah I'm not using ACV or Sea Salt right now. I probably won't ever go back to it.

I am getting pretty dry from the two topicals together. I had no idea I wasn't supposed to be exfoliating along with the Differin, but now that you explain it, it does make since just to let the retinoid do the work. I should have figured that out before eusa_doh.gif So I'll stop using that, and maybe it will help a little bit.

I'm wondering if I should reduce it to every other day. I'll call my derm before I do but tonight I had to actually put ice on my face because it was burning pretty bad. sad.gif It's totally fine though after moisturizing.

Anyway, I really hope the IB isn't that bad if I do get one, because it would be right around the time that I go back to school cry.gif It hasn't really been getting worse though, except for a skin colored cyst like thing right next to my eyebrow. I wish I could dig it out of my skin but that would be a very bad idea haha

I'll cut out the Apricot scrub and see if the irritation is a little less Thanks smile.gif

*Just my personal opinion*
But that Silicia wash and the Apricot Scrub are bad ideas....you're just doing more damage than good for your skin...

#6 happygirl207

happygirl207

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2010 - 07:08 PM

Hey!!!

Iv been using differin and benzaclin for about a year now. when I started with regimen my acne was pretty bad with lots of inflammed litle pimples some whiteheads and some blackheads. Now my acne is isnt that bad. i have some small inflammed bumps on my cheeks and a little in between my eyebrows and some on my nose with blackheads. Im kinda disappointed that my acne hasent cleared up yet since my derm said my face should clear up in about a month or two. Also sometimes my face gets very red from using these two gels together. Hopefully this regimen worked better for you biggrin.gif !!!!!

#7 californiaEstie

californiaEstie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 August 2010 - 11:03 PM

The St.Ives apricot scrub is too rough for acne prone skin I think! It can create micro tears in the skin and make things worse/more irritated. I like how my face looks after using it but long term it just does more damage. Clean and Clear has a really nice "in shower citrus facial" that is more gentle. I use it when I have flakes, probably about once or twice every few weeks. Differin gave me an IB- it wasn't too terrible but it qualified. The thing is you must use the retinoid for AT LEAST 3 months before judging the results. Most of the magic happens around the end of that time frame. I have no regrets about it- my skin looks really good now compared to before. I barely break out and when I do it's healed fast. I also use Duac which is an awesome addition. Definitely moisturize a lot- it's not bad for your skin, it's good smile.gif I use CeraVe and when I am going to get sun - La Roche Posay. Everything is in my signature. If you have any questions or want encouragement let me know smile.gif

(use water based moisturizers and very gentle cleansers- the topicals are doing the work and additional acne fighting products will aggravate your face)

Edited by bek_cogent, 01 August 2010 - 11:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users