Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-antibiotic breakouts...

Post-Antibiotic...   44 votes

1. 1. What happened after you finished your antibiotics cycle/dose?

• Acne never came back. Yay!
    • Acne came backbut less than before.
    • Acne came back same as before.
    • Acne came back worse than before. :[

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

I'm gonna see the doctor this weekand was thinking of asking for antibiotics for my mild inflammatory acne/bacne. However, it doesn't seem like there's really a great consensus for antibiotics and it seems many people have their acne come back. I'd like to get an idea of how prevalent this is. If you could specify what antibiotic you took and any other information, that's be great. Thanks.

I'm gonna see the doctor this weekand was thinking of asking for antibiotics for my mild inflammatory acne/bacne. However, it doesn't seem like there's really a great consensus for antibiotics and it seems many people have their acne come back. I'd like to get an idea of how prevalent this is. If you could specify what antibiotic you took and any other information, that's be great. Thanks.

I think my acne got worse when I stopped because I stopped so abruptly from 100mg a day down to nothing and i broke out on my arms (never break out there) and got a few painful ones on my face. I'm stopping in August/September again but this time I'll let off a lot easier and hopefully I won't breakout.

I think my acne got worse when I stopped because I stopped so abruptly from 100mg a day down to nothing and i broke out on my arms (never break out there) and got a few painful ones on my face. I'm stopping in August/September again but this time I'll let off a lot easier and hopefully I won't breakout.

what antibiotics were you on? and which one did you go on after, or was it the same?

Bumping this thread!

I really want to hear about people coming off antibiotics. I never wanted to take them in the first place but I have been on them since April now. I had dodgy yeast business going on, bad indigestion and other things.

I really don't want to take them anymore but, for the first time in years I don't have to stress about my skin (I'm 27 this month and had bad skin since a teen)!

So what is the advice on coming off the antibiotics, get my derm to prescribe a gradually lower dosage?

Also, if antibiotics are no good long term is accutane the only answer because I don't want to go on that!

blah, I'm trying to get off Doxy and I'm getting little bumps, they're not inflamed or anything just small and a bit red. For the people who got off of antibiotics and after their acne came back less or not at all, any tips?! Or can you clear up again after awhile?

Help me out!! :)

So what is the advice on coming off the antibiotics, get my derm to prescribe a gradually lower dosage?

The reason that many people break out again after going off antibiotics (especially if they were only use antibiotics and nothing else), is because antibiotics don't fix the root cause of acne - which is clogged pores. Antibiotics will kill bacteria, and reduce inflamation, so you may have fewer noticeable inflamatory pimples while you are taking antibiotics. However, your pores are still going to clog - antibotics do nothing to help clear out your pores or exfoliated your skin. So, if you go on antibiotics for awhile it keeps the inflamatory breakouts from occuring, but you are still accumlating microcomedones that you may not even be able to see in the skin. However, once you come off the antibiotics, these clogged pores may (and often do) flare up into pimples. This is why some people say their acne came back worse after being on antibiotics.

Antibiotics are best used with something that will get at the main cause of the acne problem - a retinoid, or exfoliants like AHAs/BHAs.

Also - long term antibiotic use can cause another skin problem: pityrosporum folliculitis. I developed this on my chest and back for the last 9 monhts and am still trying to get rid of it (doing better on a new treatment now that it has been diagnosed by my derm). I thought this was just body acne, but it isn't. It can be caused by using antibiotics, which kill the bacteria on the skin, allowing the fugus (which is naturally on the skin, but in balance with the bacteria) to overgrow. Acne products like BP and antibiotics can make this skin condition worse. The treatment is actually Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo, for anyone who wants to know!

So, unless you have bad inflamatory acne, I'd either avoid oral antibiotics or take them with another treatment and don't stay on them much longer than 6 months.

I'm on something of a mission to warn people about the potential effects of antibiotics. Look at my gallery I've posted and you can plainly see how I went from virtually normal skin to super bad acne in three months. All occurred after taking antibiotics. I never had bad acne before.

And to the person who said "let doctors do their jobs" I strongly advise you to please change your attitude on this. I have friends in medical school right now, and let me tell you, they are all too human. They have bad days and good days at work; they are not always on top of their game, and doctors DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. No one does.

In addition, the state of healthcare, in the US at least, is such that many of us get 15 mins for our doctor to reach a conclusion about what is wrong with our body. Doctors routinely go with the most obvious prognosis because they don't have time to ask questions and delve into history and run tests, etc.

If you have any medical problem, it is in your own best interest to learn as much as possible about it, talk to other people with similar issues, as we are all doing in this forum, and inform yourself so that you can engage in a dialogue with your doctor, instead of receiving a lecture.

It is often intimidating to have a conversation with a doctor because they obviously know more than you, but you are the one who knows your body best and I think its important to be assertive on this point.

You should only take antibiotics for a month. Eventually, you will develop a resistance to it and the bacteria will be immune. That's why it will stop working after a while. In which case, it is advised that you take a hiatus on antibiotics after a month or two. Or you can ask your doctor to give you a different prescription the next go round. I have been applying a topical clindamycin for a while and it fairly helped but after a while it stopped working. I also combine this with differin gel and a salicylic acid wash before applying them.

So my PCP referred me to a dermatogolist. He prescribed tazorac gel (which is expensive!)and continue washing with salicylic acid. This helped a bit but not as much as I wanted to and I still have several blockheads and red marks. After 2 months, he put me on oral antibiotics (doxycycline) and added benzoyl peroxide to put on during the daytime. (I thought he was going to put me on Accutane because I heard him mention isotretinoin). It has only been two days so I can't make any conclusions.

Eventually, if this fails, I'm afraid he'll put me on Accutane which I'm not sure i'd like to do. He also said that I should probably consult with another dermatologist who will do laser or photo therapy to help not only with acne and red marks but also with my sebaceous hyperplasia. The procedure costs $200-$300 and will take from 1-3 visits but if it's going to provide me clearer skin for the long haul, i think it will be worth it.

And to the person who said "let doctors do their jobs" I strongly advise you to please change your attitude on this. I have friends in medical school right now, and let me tell you, they are all too human. They have bad days and good days at work; they are not always on top of their game, and doctors DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. No one does.

1. don't take antibiotics

2. you will brake out much worse when you stop using them

3. it kills your good bacteria too

The reason that many people break out again after going off antibiotics (especially if they were only use antibiotics and nothing else), is because antibiotics don't fix the root cause of acne - which is clogged pores. Antibiotics will kill bacteria, and reduce inflamation, so you may have fewer noticeable inflamatory pimples while you are taking antibiotics. However, your pores are still going to clog - antibotics do nothing to help clear out your pores or exfoliated your skin. So, if you go on antibiotics for awhile it keeps the inflamatory breakouts from occuring, but you are still accumlating microcomedones that you may not even be able to see in the skin. However, once you come off the antibiotics, these clogged pores may (and often do) flare up into pimples. This is why some people say their acne came back worse after being on antibiotics.

Antibiotics are best used with something that will get at the main cause of the acne problem - a retinoid, or exfoliants like AHAs/BHAs.