Photo

Post-antibiotic breakouts...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Post-Antibiotic... (38 member(s) have cast votes)

What happened after you finished your antibiotics cycle/dose?

1. Acne never came back. Yay! (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

2. Acne came backbut less than before. (7 votes [18.42%])

Percentage of vote: 18.42%

3. Acne came back same as before. (14 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

4. Acne came back worse than before. :[ (15 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ppx11

ppx11

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:23 PM

I'm gonna see the doctor this weekand was thinking of asking for antibiotics for my mild inflammatory acne/bacne. However, it doesn't seem like there's really a great consensus for antibiotics and it seems many people have their acne come back. I'd like to get an idea of how prevalent this is. If you could specify what antibiotic you took and any other information, that's be great. Thanks.

#2 beau-desordre

beau-desordre

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

QUOTE(ppx11 @ Jul 17 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post
I'm gonna see the doctor this weekand was thinking of asking for antibiotics for my mild inflammatory acne/bacne. However, it doesn't seem like there's really a great consensus for antibiotics and it seems many people have their acne come back. I'd like to get an idea of how prevalent this is. If you could specify what antibiotic you took and any other information, that's be great. Thanks.

i took tetracycline, cleared me up vvveery quickly and stopped workign after 6 months. i'd do it again though tbh

#3 liveyourlife

liveyourlife

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:15 PM

I think my acne got worse when I stopped because I stopped so abruptly from 100mg a day down to nothing and i broke out on my arms (never break out there) and got a few painful ones on my face. I'm stopping in August/September again but this time I'll let off a lot easier and hopefully I won't breakout.
Morning
- Queen Helene Oatmeal scrub
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Night
- Alba Sea Organics Cleanser
- Differin .01% Gel
- Ortho Tri-cyclen

I've been with this plan for years, keeps me mostly clear!

#4 beau-desordre

beau-desordre

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE(tonga @ Jul 19 2007, 10:15 PM) View Post
I think my acne got worse when I stopped because I stopped so abruptly from 100mg a day down to nothing and i broke out on my arms (never break out there) and got a few painful ones on my face. I'm stopping in August/September again but this time I'll let off a lot easier and hopefully I won't breakout.

what antibiotics were you on? and which one did you go on after, or was it the same?

#5 liveyourlife

liveyourlife

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE(beau-desordre @ Jul 23 2007, 12:51 PM) View Post
QUOTE(tonga @ Jul 19 2007, 10:15 PM) View Post

what antibiotics were you on? and which one did you go on after, or was it the same?

doxycycline, returned to it after 2-3 weeks.
Morning

Night
- Differin .01% Gel
- Ortho Tri-cyclen

#6 wicket

wicket

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

Bumping this thread!

I really want to hear about people coming off antibiotics. I never wanted to take them in the first place but I have been on them since April now. I had dodgy yeast business going on, bad indigestion and other things.

I really don't want to take them anymore but, for the first time in years I don't have to stress about my skin (I'm 27 this month and had bad skin since a teen)!

So what is the advice on coming off the antibiotics, get my derm to prescribe a gradually lower dosage?

Also, if antibiotics are no good long term is accutane the only answer because I don't want to go on that!
Stopped Minocycline last September and it came back (but not as bad, yet!)
Now taking: Zinc and Evening Primrose.
Just added: Taurine and b-vits
Topical: Sudocream to help healing

#7 liveyourlife

liveyourlife

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:57 PM

blah, I'm trying to get off Doxy and I'm getting little bumps, they're not inflamed or anything just small and a bit red. For the people who got off of antibiotics and after their acne came back less or not at all, any tips?! Or can you clear up again after awhile?

Help me out!! smile.gif
Morning

Night
- Differin .01% Gel
- Ortho Tri-cyclen

#8 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE(wicket @ Aug 2 2007, 02:01 PM) View Post
So what is the advice on coming off the antibiotics, get my derm to prescribe a gradually lower dosage?

I read so many posts where people say "should I ask my doctor for this" or "should I try to get them to give me this". Please let doctors be doctors, and give you the medicine they think you need! Get a second opinion if you want, but this is what they went to medical school for. They know more than you do.

As for coming off antibiotics, you will break out again if, for example, you stop taking antibiotics abruptly and don't do any other acne maintenance. Listen to your doctor. Why do people stop taking medications without talking to their doctors? I just don't get it. A bit of a rant, I apologize, but I'm so tired of people on these boards trying to tell their doctor how to treat them instead of letting the doctor do his/her job.
Cleanser: Purpose, twice a day. Love it!

Rx:
Loestrin Fe 24 (birth control)
Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

#9 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:35 AM

The reason that many people break out again after going off antibiotics (especially if they were only use antibiotics and nothing else), is because antibiotics don't fix the root cause of acne - which is clogged pores. Antibiotics will kill bacteria, and reduce inflamation, so you may have fewer noticeable inflamatory pimples while you are taking antibiotics. However, your pores are still going to clog - antibotics do nothing to help clear out your pores or exfoliated your skin. So, if you go on antibiotics for awhile it keeps the inflamatory breakouts from occuring, but you are still accumlating microcomedones that you may not even be able to see in the skin. However, once you come off the antibiotics, these clogged pores may (and often do) flare up into pimples. This is why some people say their acne came back worse after being on antibiotics.

Antibiotics are best used with something that will get at the main cause of the acne problem - a retinoid, or exfoliants like AHAs/BHAs.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#10 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 25 August 2007 - 09:42 AM

Also - long term antibiotic use can cause another skin problem: pityrosporum folliculitis. I developed this on my chest and back for the last 9 monhts and am still trying to get rid of it (doing better on a new treatment now that it has been diagnosed by my derm). I thought this was just body acne, but it isn't. It can be caused by using antibiotics, which kill the bacteria on the skin, allowing the fugus (which is naturally on the skin, but in balance with the bacteria) to overgrow. Acne products like BP and antibiotics can make this skin condition worse. The treatment is actually Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo, for anyone who wants to know!

So, unless you have bad inflamatory acne, I'd either avoid oral antibiotics or take them with another treatment and don't stay on them much longer than 6 months.

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#11 liveyourlife

liveyourlife

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 August 2007 - 11:21 PM

Thank-you Willow that was very helpful!
Morning

Night
- Differin .01% Gel
- Ortho Tri-cyclen

#12 aubergine

aubergine

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 13
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:56 PM

I'm on something of a mission to warn people about the potential effects of antibiotics. Look at my gallery I've posted and you can plainly see how I went from virtually normal skin to super bad acne in three months. All occurred after taking antibiotics. I never had bad acne before.

And to the person who said "let doctors do their jobs" I strongly advise you to please change your attitude on this. I have friends in medical school right now, and let me tell you, they are all too human. They have bad days and good days at work; they are not always on top of their game, and doctors DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. No one does.

In addition, the state of healthcare, in the US at least, is such that many of us get 15 mins for our doctor to reach a conclusion about what is wrong with our body. Doctors routinely go with the most obvious prognosis because they don't have time to ask questions and delve into history and run tests, etc.

If you have any medical problem, it is in your own best interest to learn as much as possible about it, talk to other people with similar issues, as we are all doing in this forum, and inform yourself so that you can engage in a dialogue with your doctor, instead of receiving a lecture.

It is often intimidating to have a conversation with a doctor because they obviously know more than you, but you are the one who knows your body best and I think its important to be assertive on this point.

#13 junkeroos

junkeroos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:26 PM

You should only take antibiotics for a month. Eventually, you will develop a resistance to it and the bacteria will be immune. That's why it will stop working after a while. In which case, it is advised that you take a hiatus on antibiotics after a month or two. Or you can ask your doctor to give you a different prescription the next go round. I have been applying a topical clindamycin for a while and it fairly helped but after a while it stopped working. I also combine this with differin gel and a salicylic acid wash before applying them.

So my PCP referred me to a dermatogolist. He prescribed tazorac gel (which is expensive!)and continue washing with salicylic acid. This helped a bit but not as much as I wanted to and I still have several blockheads and red marks. After 2 months, he put me on oral antibiotics (doxycycline) and added benzoyl peroxide to put on during the daytime. (I thought he was going to put me on Accutane because I heard him mention isotretinoin). It has only been two days so I can't make any conclusions.

Eventually, if this fails, I'm afraid he'll put me on Accutane which I'm not sure i'd like to do. He also said that I should probably consult with another dermatologist who will do laser or photo therapy to help not only with acne and red marks but also with my sebaceous hyperplasia. The procedure costs $200-$300 and will take from 1-3 visits but if it's going to provide me clearer skin for the long haul, i think it will be worth it.

#14 sweetheart519

sweetheart519

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(aubergine @ Sep 1 2007, 02:56 PM) View Post
And to the person who said "let doctors do their jobs" I strongly advise you to please change your attitude on this. I have friends in medical school right now, and let me tell you, they are all too human. They have bad days and good days at work; they are not always on top of their game, and doctors DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING. No one does.

Yes, I agree. You do have to question doctors, but my point was...don't go in telling them what to do. This is why I said, get a 2nd opinion if needed. I got 3 opinions from 3 different dermatologists before agreeing to take antibiotics. But I went into each appointment not telling them what to give me, but explaining my symptoms, expressing my concerns, and listening to what they thought I needed. Then I got a few more opinions because I was uncomfortable with what the first doctor wanted to prescribe to me.

If you have any medical problem, it is in your own best interest to learn as much as possible about it, talk to other people with similar issues, as we are all doing in this forum, and inform yourself so that you can engage in a dialogue with your doctor, instead of receiving a lecture.

I agree with this.
Cleanser: Purpose, twice a day. Love it!

Rx:
Loestrin Fe 24 (birth control)
Differin .3% gel

Moisturizer: Purpose Moisturizer w/ SPF 15 (morning), La Roche-Posay Toleriane facial fluid (night)

#15 un4tunate

un4tunate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:55 PM

1. don't take antibiotics
2. you will brake out much worse when you stop using them
3. it kills your good bacteria too
Done with accutane 20mgs for 7 months

22 years old, 180lbs

no side effects, bye.

#16 steph_ann

steph_ann

S*A*H

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 September 2007 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE(willow569 @ Aug 25 2007, 10:35 AM) View Post
The reason that many people break out again after going off antibiotics (especially if they were only use antibiotics and nothing else), is because antibiotics don't fix the root cause of acne - which is clogged pores. Antibiotics will kill bacteria, and reduce inflamation, so you may have fewer noticeable inflamatory pimples while you are taking antibiotics. However, your pores are still going to clog - antibotics do nothing to help clear out your pores or exfoliated your skin. So, if you go on antibiotics for awhile it keeps the inflamatory breakouts from occuring, but you are still accumlating microcomedones that you may not even be able to see in the skin. However, once you come off the antibiotics, these clogged pores may (and often do) flare up into pimples. This is why some people say their acne came back worse after being on antibiotics.

Antibiotics are best used with something that will get at the main cause of the acne problem - a retinoid, or exfoliants like AHAs/BHAs.

Okay, I've been on minocycline for awhile now & now I'm going from taking two 100 mg pills a day to one, and soon I will completely stop, but I am also using retin-A and Aqua Glycolic do you think that I could avoid breaking out too bad if I just continue to use retin-A & Aqua Glycolic?