Photo

Recommend Glycolic Acid products

aha alpha hydroxy acid hyperpigmentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#1 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:58 PM

I thought it would be lovely to compile a list of member's glycolic acid products that they have personal experience with and would be willing to recommend to others who are fighting either 1. comedonal acne or 2. combo comedonal acne and small inflamed areas 3. aging 4. any of the above!

General Recommendations
Please also remember that using warm rather than hot water is one good step to add into your skin care regimen. Hot water is very irritating to most skin and can increase the redness/inflammation of pimples.

A gentle skin cleanser or one for sensitive skin is also an essential addition to your skin care regimen. If your skin feels 'tight' after you finish washing your face, your cleanser is too harsh or you need to apply moisturizer right after you wash.

Please try to avoid harsh scrubs or products that are advertised as for 'acne-prone' or 'oily' skin, or for 'blackhead clearing', as many of them are just too harsh and will tear minute holes or breaks into the skin, causing a worsened inflamed breakout.

Gentle chemical or manual exfoliation is the best for clearing pores out!

Sunscreen of at least SPF 30 is very important when using an AHA product. The AHA makes the skin more susceptible to sun damage and hyperpigmentation (melasma). I did not heed the warning and forgot sunscreen one day. I had a very obvious area of hyperpigmentation that looked like mud smeared across my forehead on one side only. It has faded with continued use of the glycolic and strict use of sunscreen.

In no particular order:

1. Avon's ANEW CLINICAL Advanced Retexturizing Peel. Can be bought on eBay for much less. I bought five containers for $48 including shipping. biggrin.gif THIS is my holy grail of skin clearing and beautiful complexion.

2. Alpha Hydrox Souffle. Can be bought at Walgreen's and other places. Walmart and Target don't carry it anymore from what I read. The Alpha Hydrox website lists other places it can be purchased. Feels lovely on and works extremely well, even on the body!

3. Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner. Quite refreshing. It has Alpha Hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids. It smells nice and feels so clean and good on the skin. I also highly recommend it. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle and other AHA products. Very good recommendations.

4. Many recommendations coming in for: Aqua Glycolic products. Their toners and cleanser in particular get good reviews.

5. Paula's Choice AHA body lotion or AHA products. The BHAs are exceptional, but of course don't fit in this topic of glycolic acid.

6. Platinum Skin Care has exceptional glycolic acid peels and products, along with a wide array of various skin care products.

7. MD Forte Glycare products. This link allows you to choose the product on the website that is best for your skin type.

8. lookgr8, a UK company. Several members have reported using several of their products with success. I do not have personal experience with their products. Some members have reported problems with customer service.

9. Pimple Eraser. Glycolic products recommended by a few members.

10. Olay Regenerist Thermal Skin Polisher. Has glycolic acid, does not appear to have comedogenic ingredients.

11. Dan's AHA+ lotion; large enough container at a good price for using on the body too.

Edited by Wynne, 11 June 2010 - 07:43 PM.
added another product

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#2 french_muffin

french_muffin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:04 AM

http://www.lookgr8.c...;products_id=34

This is what i have using of late. Had only been 3 days so really don't know how my skin would shape.

Price is affordable as well...especially for U.K sufferers.

#3 Heartless

Heartless

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:33 AM

See prior post.

#4 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:17 PM

I'll put the above quoted post here to make it a bit easier for others to find without lots of clicking. Heartless, if you don't like this idea, please PM me and I'll delete this quote.

QUOTE(Heartless @ Jul 15 2007, 12:25 PM) View Post
Try Paula's Choice . I use her salicylic acid but she also has AHA/glycolic acid products, too.

You can also try Platinum Skincare . They have a very comprehensive line of products with detailed useage instructions.

I have ordered from Platinum Skin Care: Very fast shipping. I like their spray SPF 30! When I run out, I'm ordering more. It is light, clean-feeling.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=

#5 hhughes

hhughes

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 15 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

I like the MD Forte line... very high concentration with almost no irritation.

http://www.mdforte.com/right004.asp

i personally use the Level III cleanser and the Replenish Hydrating cream
Morning: 1. Cosmedicine Healthy Cleanse Foaming Cleanser & Toner In One 2. Cosmedicine Medi-Matte Oil Control Lotion SPF 20 3. Skinceuticals Serum 15 4. Skinceuticals Phyto + 5. Sunscreen if needed.

MidDay: 1. Dermalogica Pre-Cleanse 2. Cetaphil Cleanser 3. Skinceuticals Phyto + 4. MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream Entire Face 5. 16 Minutes Blue and Red Light Treatment.

Night: 1. Cosmedicine Healthy Cleanse Foaming Cleanser & Toner In One 2. Retin-A micro 3. Phyto + 4. MD Forte Replenish Hydrating Cream Entire Face

Extras: 1. Astara Blue Flame Purification Mask as desired 2. Astara Green Papaya Nutrient Mask as desired 3. Cellex-C Betaplex Clear Complexion Mask as desired 4. Skinceuticals Daily Moisture

Want: 1. Z. Bigatti Restoration Goodnight Cream

#6 jamesMT

jamesMT

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:06 AM

Hey Wynne, I found a little tub of them Avon ANEW clinical advanced retexturizing peel wipes that my mum has got but she's on holiday so I'm going to steal them! muaha

Could you explain to me what they actually do? Will they literally make my skin peel? How many times to use them and when?

Thanks tongue.gif

#7 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE(jamesMT @ Jul 16 2007, 09:06 AM) View Post
Hey Wynne, I found a little tub of them Avon ANEW clinical advanced retexturizing peel wipes that my mum has got but she's on holiday so I'm going to steal them! muaha

Could you explain to me what they actually do? Will they literally make my skin peel? How many times to use them and when?

Thanks tongue.gif

Your poor mum. If you're young, you likely won't benefit as greatly as we old codgers... biggrin.gif BUT, it might help a bit. The directions say to use it at night every three or so days. Then every other day once your skin gets used to using it every three days. So one tub should last more than a month. Just be absolutely SURE you wear sunscreen if you go out. It won't make you peel obviously, but will brighten up your complexion over time, particularly if you have sun damage. There may be an initial breakout as your skin gets used to the rapid exfoliation. There was for me, but each lesion did not last so long and left no scar!

You really should ask your mum if you can raid her stuff... wink.gif She might even buy you your own off eBay. smile.gif Let her know that she can buy it for less on eBay and she might forgive you. I bought it from 'anewmorebeautifulyou' or something like that. If you look back to early June, you'll see my rating for the product. Similar name on eBay to the one here. biggrin.gif

#8 goodlife

goodlife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 07:56 AM

QUOTE(Wynne @ Jul 14 2007, 10:58 PM) View Post
I thought it would be lovely to compile a list of member's glycolic acid products that they have personal experience with and would be willing to recommend to others who are fighting either 1. comedonal acne or 2. combo comedonal acne and small inflamed areas 3. aging 4. any of the above!

1. Avon's ANEW CLINICAL Advanced Retexturizing Peel. Can be bought on eBay for much less. I bought five containers for $48 including shipping. biggrin.gif THIS is my holy grail of skin clearing and beautiful complexion.
2. Alpha Hydrox Souffle. Can be bought at Walgreen's and other places. Walmart and Target don't carry it anymore from what I read. The Alpha Hydrox website lists other places it can be purchased. Feels lovely on and works extremely well, even on the body!

3. Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner. Quite refreshing. It has Alpha Hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids. It smells nice and feels so clean and good on the skin. I also highly recommend it.

Is this the same product?

http://avonshop.co.u...department=shop

Sorry the link doesnt go straight to the product, but i think its on there just by a different name.

Thanks

Just realised that there products are just for women.
I am blessed to be the way I am, for God doesn't look at any appearance but rather look unto thy heart.

#9 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:16 AM

QUOTE(goodlife @ Jul 16 2007, 09:56 AM) View Post
...Is this the same product?

http://avonshop.co.u...department=shop

Sorry the link doesnt go straight to the product, but i think its on there just by a different name.

Thanks

Just realised that there products are just for women.

That is the old version of the product. Avon's new version is a one-step leave on. I'll look for it on eBay and put the link here. Anew Clinical Retexturizing Peel on eBay. Always go with the sellers that have a lot of positive feedback and feedback above 98% positive.

That is not just for women! Men can use it, too. Men get sun damage and acne, too. It doesn't even have a frou frou feminine scent. It has a clean, fresh scent like most toners do. The scent will dissipate shortly after it's applied, anyway.

#10 goodlife

goodlife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:11 AM

Ok Wynne I might give this product a go, even though im in the UK.

What skin would you say its exactly suited for?

I have scars and lots a dark brown marks on my face, with some active acne, lots of blackheads. My face is kind of red as well.

I have quite sensitive skin, would this be suitable for me?

I really dont know what to use on my skin, Im so confused I use nothing at the moment. I just want these marks to go.
I am blessed to be the way I am, for God doesn't look at any appearance but rather look unto thy heart.

#11 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

With sensitive skin, you will need a moisturizer with any glycolic product. I don't know that I would try Avon with sensitive skin. You might be better off with the Alpha Hydrox Souffle. It seems a much gentler formulation than the Avon. The Avon stings a LOT when one first uses it. The Alpha Hydrox did not at all. You might be ok trying the Avon but definitely using a sunscreen moisturizer during the day and a good moisturizer at night.

If you do use the Alpha Hydrox or Avon, please be absolutely sure to use a sunscreen, too.

Have you ever been to a dermatologist or an esthetician? If you go to a dermatologist, it is possible they'd be able to give you a prescription that will help you a lot. An experienced esthetician who has good references and experience with acne-prone skin will be able to give you some soothing and helpful facials, and possibly even some extractions of those blackheads (make darned sure they follow good clean techniques, and if possible, get recommendations from your friends!)

I hope you're using a gentle cleanser or a sensitive skin cleanser. I don't recommend using products that say they are for acne-prone or 'oily' skin. Those are frequently too harsh. Acne prone skin IS sensitive skin and needs to be treated gently and with respect. I use Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar (either antibacterial or regular) and others recommend Purpose wash. They are both gentle and effective.

#12 goodlife

goodlife

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 11:48 AM

Thanks for the info Wynne.

The last time I went to a dermatologist, was when I finished my Roaccutane course, I was hoping something might be said about the marks left, but nothing.

So you definatley think AHA products are the way to go?

#13 InRepair

InRepair

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2007 - 04:58 PM

*bumping* I have a few questions.

I'm was looking on Paula's choice website and looked at these products, can anyone tell me what the different is between all these products and if they would work really well on getting rid of red marks? What is the difference between Acid Gel and Acid Lotion?

http://www.cosmetics...h.asp?keys=peel

I was looking into getting a peel and I saw that Platinum Skin Care has a bunch, with different percents. I don't have oily skin nor do I have dry skin just in the middle, should I just try the 3% Salicylic Peel since its the lowest percent to start out with?

http://platinumskinc...ll_products.htm

#14 InRepair

InRepair

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

anyone redface.gif

#15 zrbx

zrbx

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:33 PM

i'm curious.
in your country, doctors dont prescribe manipulated meds?
smile.gif
Medstudent 5th year \o/

Regimen: isotretinoin 20mg twice/week !

07/07/2009 - Starlux 1540 - 85mj - 1 pass
08/13/2009 - Starlux 1540 - 100mj - 2/3 passes
09/22/2009 - Starlux 1540 - 100mj - 1/2 passes
11/05/2009 - Starkux 1540 - 100mj
23/06/2010 - Starkux 1540 - 100mj

#16 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(goodlife @ Jul 16 2007, 01:48 PM) View Post
Thanks for the info Wynne.

The last time I went to a dermatologist, was when I finished my Roaccutane course, I was hoping something might be said about the marks left, but nothing.

So you definatley think AHA products are the way to go?

After Accutane, usually Retin A is one of the better choices to maintain clear skin. AHAs are the way to go for me, but they might not be for everyone.

QUOTE(InRepair @ Jul 24 2007, 06:58 PM) View Post
*bumping* I have a few questions.

I'm was looking on Paula's choice website and looked at these products, can anyone tell me what the different is between all these products and if they would work really well on getting rid of red marks? What is the difference between Acid Gel and Acid Lotion?

http://www.cosmetics...h.asp?keys=peel

I was looking into getting a peel and I saw that Platinum Skin Care has a bunch, with different percents. I don't have oily skin nor do I have dry skin just in the middle, should I just try the 3% Salicylic Peel since its the lowest percent to start out with?

http://platinumskinc...ll_products.htm

The salicylic acids on Paula's Choice website have different descriptions and there is a link that instructs one on "Which is the right one for me?"

You'll want to look at Exfoliants for getting rid of red marks and helping with acne. Exfoliants include AHAs and BHA (salicylic acid). They're great at helping fade red marks and they help with acne as well. If you remain prone to breakouts, do expect an initial purging period and don't give up while it is going on. You might be impressed with how much your skin improves. I can't say enough good stuff about Paula's Choice products and I'm grateful to this site for showing them to me!

Peels are great for removing a decent amount of the stratum corneum; sometimes they go deeper. I myself like TCA. I do not have experience with salicylic acid nor glycolic acid in the strength of a 'peel' only as a daily treatment. They are marvelous as a daily treatment.

Platinum Skin Care has great recommendations and instructions on which peel might be right for you.

The most important aspect of using acids is to first, choose the correct type for your skin or current skin related issues.
  • Glycolic acid is a great "general" type of acid. It is water soluble, and works nicely on most skin types.
  • Salicylic acid is perfect for acne and oily skin types. It is oil soluble, and will penetrate sebum filled pores very easily to clean them out.
  • TCA - or Trichloracetic Acid, is excellent for treating ice pick scars, pigmentation problems, and stands out as the premium acid to treat anti-aging. TCA is known as the "Refresher Peel", and will give the skin a beautiful, fresh glow.

Salicylic acid is very irritating but very beneficial to acne prone skin. My almost as old as dirt skin likes glycolic acid 10% every other day and tolerated a light TCA peel very well. I am close to 40 (one month) so it is possible my skin just likes the anti-aging effects of AHAs.

#17 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2007 - 06:28 PM

i actually like proactiv's revitalizing toner. i believe it contains 6% AHA, and it's also alcohol free so it does not irritate skin. biggrin.gif i really like it.

i also tried paula's choice 8% AHA gel, and although it's too harsh for putting it all over my skin, it actually works great as a spot treatment.

hope that helps!

#18 SuzInCarolina

SuzInCarolina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

I had good luck with a glycolic acid product called Pimple Eraser. It is an OTC product and is inexpensive.

#19 Weenie Beenie

Weenie Beenie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:11 AM

Wynne, I am currently using the Anew retexturizing pads every other morning and Differen cream every night. I also use the baby brush method every other morning, and I wash with Olay clarity cleanser (which contains SA) once a day. Do you think adding another GA product would be too mich? If I were to add one, what would you suggest?

#20 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE(Weenie Beenie @ Jul 27 2007, 02:11 AM) View Post
Wynne, I am currently using the Anew retexturizing pads every other morning and Differen cream every night. I also use the baby brush method every other morning, and I wash with Olay clarity cleanser (which contains SA) once a day. Do you think adding another GA product would be too mich? If I were to add one, what would you suggest?

I'd stick with what you're doing for now. Rushing in too fast and adding in too many products at once is just a recipe for red, irritated skin. Keep with that regimen for a few months to guage if your skin needs another product added to the mix.