Photo

Friend came from Eastern Europe to USA with clear skin. Month later - SEVERE ACNE

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#21 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 08 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE(NdnRomeo @ Jul 8 2007, 11:28 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Healthoid @ Jul 8 2007, 12:50 PM) View Post
Yeah. Lactose breaks me out, casein gives me other weird symptoms although no breakouts, gluten grains give me breakouts incredibly easily and other grains aren't quite as bad, but if I eat enough of them they'll break me out too.

What other symptoms do you get? Also, when you break out, is it only on the face, or is on your back/chest/scalp as well?

I get digestion problems from casein (and gluten) and they also affect me mentally in weird ways, making me lethargic/slow and then later nervous/anxious/hyper. I break out on my back, face and sometimes scalp. Rarely ever on my chest.

#22 Guest_Stu :-)_*

Guest_Stu :-)_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 July 2007 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(Healthoid @ Jul 8 2007, 12:56 PM) View Post
Yeah. Lactose breaks me out, casein gives me other weird symptoms although no breakouts, gluten grains give me breakouts incredibly easily and other grains aren't quite as bad, but if I eat enough of them they'll break me out too.

What other symptoms do you get? Also, when you break out, is it only on the face, or is on your back/chest/scalp as well?

I get digestion problems from casein (and gluten) and they also affect me mentally in weird ways, making me lethargic/slow and then later nervous/anxious/hyper. I break out on my back, face and sometimes scalp. Rarely ever on my chest.

Healthoid, do you know why some digestive problems cause the mental issues as i seem to get these myself, any good links on this kind of info, ill have to browse ole google

#23 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE(Stu :-) @ Jul 8 2007, 12:00 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Healthoid @ Jul 8 2007, 12:56 PM) View Post

Healthoid, do you know why some digestive problems cause the mental issues as i seem to get these myself, any good links on this kind of info, ill have to browse ole google

Yeah, in some people casein and gluten and possibly other grains cause weird changes in your serotonin and dopamine levels. These effects can be as strong as any prescription or many illegal drugs. This is why some people are physically addicted to grains and dairy. You actually get real withdrawal symptoms.

The theory is that these mental changes are caused by gluten and casein molecules leaking into your bloodstream through a leaky gut.

I had this link on my website a while ago, I thought it was really interesting: http://homepage.mac....eatopiates.html

More:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....p;holding=f1000
http://www.drkaslow....onnection_.html

There are strong links to depression, anxiety, autism-spectrum disorders and schizophrenia with gluten.

#24 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

QUOTE(Healthoid @ Jul 8 2007, 01:32 PM) View Post
Yeah, in some people casein and gluten and possibly other grains cause weird changes in your serotonin and dopamine levels. These effects can be as strong as any prescription or many illegal drugs. This is why some people are physically addicted to grains and dairy. You actually get real withdrawal symptoms.

The theory is that these mental changes are caused by gluten and casein molecules leaking into your bloodstream through a leaky gut.

OMG Healthoid! No wonder I have a such a hard time quiting gluten products. I like get up in middle of nights and all I can think of is eating bread or anything with gluten. Like its cocaine or something. My name is dancedd and I am a gluten addict! When u mentioned the analogy with prescription drugs. It all made sense to me. Well I'll keep trying to avoid them. lol

#25 Healthoid

Healthoid

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(dancedd @ Jul 8 2007, 01:57 PM) View Post

OMG Healthoid! No wonder I have a such a hard time quiting gluten products. I like get up in middle of nights and all I can think of is eating bread or anything with gluten. Like its cocaine or something. My name is dancedd and I am a gluten addict! When u mentioned the analogy with prescription drugs. It all made sense to me. Well I'll keep trying to avoid them. lol

It gets much easier once you've been off them for a while. You get out of the cycle of ups and downs that gluten and casein induce on many people. In my experience it takes a few days to a week to totally get your biochemistry back to normal if these foods are adversely affecting you. I feel so much more calm and stable when I'm not eating gluten and casein.

I think it's pretty important to go 100% off these foods, otherwise you'll still end up in the cycle of highs and lows and continue to get cravings.

#26 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(Healthoid @ Jul 8 2007, 06:47 PM) View Post

It gets much easier once you've been off them for a while. You get out of the cycle of ups and downs that gluten and casein induce on many people. In my experience it takes a few days to a week to totally get your biochemistry back to normal if these foods are adversely affecting you. I feel so much more calm and stable when I'm not eating gluten and casein.

I think it's pretty important to go 100% off these foods, otherwise you'll still end up in the cycle of highs and lows and continue to get cravings.

Oh isn't that the truth. I am having major cravings right now. I want to get a big box of wheaties and some ice cold milk and eat away to fullness! BUT acne is not worth it. I am feeling depressed being off of it too. I give you huge props for staying off of it!

#27 dancedd

dancedd

Clear skin!!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

QUOTE(Healthoid @ Jul 8 2007, 04:47 PM) View Post

I agree with the whole 100% thing. Because unfortunetly I do get lots of highs and lows even if I eat a little bit. In fact I think thats why my anxiety/depression isn't going so good either. That effects it too. Thanks for your encouragement healthoid eusa_dance.gif

#28 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

I am not scientist, but the reason european dairy is healthier than american dairy is because cows in america produce LECTINS while cows in europe do not produce lectins. It is a complex process but google it and you will see how dangerous dietary lectins are...

#29 Green Gables

Green Gables

RETIRED

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:53 PM

Could be a vitamin D issue. Maybe she is spending less time outside. If it's exactly the same, consider...Most glass windows in buildings and cars in the US are treated now to prevent all of the beneficial light rays from coming in. So you won't get vitamin D from sitting behind most glass in the US.

#30 Binga

Binga

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Same thing happened to me. For me it was sugar, cheese and cold weather that US foods are filled with that destroyed my face. The worst part was didn't know where to get a dermatologist.

Edited by Binga, 07 May 2013 - 06:30 AM.

#31 whoartthou1

whoartthou1

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:10 PM

Same thing happened to me. For me it was sugar, cheese and cold weather that US foods are filled with that destroyed my face. The worst part was didn't know where to get a dermatologist.

american cheese I am presuming? 

Where are you originally from?

dermatologists can't do much though. Only thing they can give is accutane, and that has its own risks

#32 WishClean

WishClean

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:36 PM

The little zits under the surface of the skin could be from a food allergy, but not sure about the inflammed zits. Maybe she developed an allergy to food additives or even to soy ingredients that are found in much more foods in the US than in Europe.  My guess is that there are various factors at play, food sensitivity being one of them. The other factor might be the quality of the water she washes her face with (not just drinking water, tap water too). Not all cities in the US have bad water, and not all cities in Europe have clean tap water. It depends. But I would suggest she tries washing her face with bottled spring water or deionized water (make sure it's pure, no additives) for a week or two to see if she notices a difference. Maybe the water in the US has upset the PH balance of her skin because it's different than the type of water her skin was used to back in Europe.