Photo

'Outgrowing' acne

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 un4tunate

un4tunate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hi, did anyone ever outgrow severe acne? I had severe acne from ages 15-18 on the face and now at 21, my acne has spread on my back and some on chest but reduced on the face.

I'm here thinking i should be 'outgrowing' this horrible disease or w/e it is because everyone told me i will outgrow it.

I do not think i am outgrowing it anytime soon since it has spread all over my back now.

Anyone outgrow their moderate/severe acne? if so, at what age???
Done with accutane 20mgs for 7 months

22 years old, 180lbs

no side effects, bye.

#2 MoreThanAFace

MoreThanAFace

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

un4tunate, I did outgrow mine, not too much older than that. I had cystic acne pretty bad at about those same ages. I wonder if it's a good sign that it's lessening on your face? It seems like there could be something else going on, not just "regular" acne--have you seen derms & all that?

Just a word of caution--try not to think of it as it "should" be gone by a certain age. It could very well just go away, and I hope it does, but try not to have a deadline in mind for that or you'll just feel worse. (I know, easy to say...) Fingers crossed for you!
July 2007: Add Clearskincare skin roller to evening regimen (roll after cleansing)
June 2007: Begin Obagi Nu-Derm treatment (for scarring)
Morning__________________________Evening_____________________
PhisoDerm foaming cleanser .......................... <--same
Obagi Clear (hydroquinone 4%) ..................... <--same
Obagi Exfoderm Forte (exfoliator) ............... Obagi Blender (hydroquinone 4%)
Olay Complete (sensitive skin), SPF 15 ........ Retin-A Micro, 0.04% gel
Obagi ElastiDerm eye gel

Dietary supplements: Multivitamin; MSM 2000mg daily

#3 un4tunate

un4tunate

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

hey, thanks for the info i know i can't set a age limit lol

Yes, ive been to derms before when i was younger they had no clue how to treat me i have tried antibiotics and possibly every damn cream there is, including the proactiv bullshit, which didnt do shyt. I've been offered accutane 3 times, but my mom was soooooo concerned she was scared for my health because she heard so many bad things about it blah blah blah, i was on the edge of jumping of something!!.

I'm not sure what is going on. I eliminated all sweets, dairy since it makes me brakeout alot worse than usual. I'm guessing it's in my genes since my dad also suffered from acne but not as bad as me.

One derm actually said that stress triggered my cystic acne.
Done with accutane 20mgs for 7 months

22 years old, 180lbs

no side effects, bye.

#4 MoreThanAFace

MoreThanAFace

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 29 June 2007 - 01:35 PM

Not surprised if it was stress--that's what made mine go cystic on me.

If your mom's that concerned about Accutane, maybe Retin-A will help. I've seen some posts about it helping active acne (not as expensive as 'tane either). Also, some laser treatments stop the acne for a few months. Look around here if you haven't already--people are trying a bunch of stuff and you just have to find out what works for you.

Good luck!
July 2007: Add Clearskincare skin roller to evening regimen (roll after cleansing)
June 2007: Begin Obagi Nu-Derm treatment (for scarring)
Morning__________________________Evening_____________________
PhisoDerm foaming cleanser .......................... <--same
Obagi Clear (hydroquinone 4%) ..................... <--same
Obagi Exfoderm Forte (exfoliator) ............... Obagi Blender (hydroquinone 4%)
Olay Complete (sensitive skin), SPF 15 ........ Retin-A Micro, 0.04% gel
Obagi ElastiDerm eye gel

Dietary supplements: Multivitamin; MSM 2000mg daily

#5 TheChangingman

TheChangingman

The 5 O'Clock Hero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:05 AM

The 'Outgrowing it' comment can be very frustrating indeed, these are supposed to be the best years of my life but I'm wishing them away so I can be free of acne.

I reckon stress has a massive part to play in acne personally. I recently went on a holiday with about 10 mates. Basically from the week I agreed to go to the day after I went home early from the hol my face was bad, it got worse building up to it and was shocking while I was away. This was like 4-5 months of buildup but basically the week after I got home my face started clearing up and its been getting better, albeit slowly, ever since.
All the roads that lead to struggles
Bring you back to where you need
Some reassurance in your own depth,
Only you can see, but let others feel
Peace in my mind i'm so happy to find
As i get on my trek with a headstart back to you.

#6 Whatsitgonnabe

Whatsitgonnabe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:29 AM

No I had to take pills at 19. I ha mild at 15 then it started to get severe at 17 so I had to take pills

But that is just me, he said it was a life-long acne..

#7 -lxl-

-lxl-

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE(MoreThanAFace @ Jun 29 2007, 11:36 AM) View Post
un4tunate, I did outgrow mine, not too much older than that. I had cystic acne pretty bad at about those same ages. I wonder if it's a good sign that it's lessening on your face? It seems like there could be something else going on, not just "regular" acne--have you seen derms & all that?

Just a word of caution--try not to think of it as it "should" be gone by a certain age. It could very well just go away, and I hope it does, but try not to have a deadline in mind for that or you'll just feel worse. (I know, easy to say...) Fingers crossed for you!

did you ever treat your acne with any medication before you outgrew your acne?

#8 Alecia

Alecia

Alecia

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:38 PM

When I was in middle school, acne was on my forehead and T-zone. In high school, acne was on my cheecks and chest and back. Now I am in college, acne is on my chin and jawline and sometimes on my nose. When will it end....

#9 Ravina

Ravina

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:12 PM

I am 30 years old and I have finally, in the past 6 months, outgrown the bacne that I have had since I was 14. I have tried just about every nonprescription remedy out there to no avail and in the last couple of years I just sort of gave up. I had just been washing with a mild, unscented baby soap in the shower once a day and that is it, no BP, no SA and no other kind of treatment. My bacne just sort of started clearing up a few months ago and just kept getting better and better every day. I still have some red marks but nothing active! My face is another story, I am still getting breakouts there. But the fact that my back finally cleared up after 15 years of dealing with this crap gives me hope!! eusa_dance.gif

#10 Bled Zeppelin

Bled Zeppelin

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2007 - 05:02 AM

You will outgrow acne when you stop masterbating & get your diet & lifestyle together... Until then, I have heard about people have acne all there lives... Unfortunate, but never sin against gods wishes of looking after your body & dropping your seeds, or he will hurt you... eusa_naughty.gif

#11 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:33 PM

I did not grow out of my severe acne. It did lessen on my face though. I think that's common. It's like it starts on the forehead in the early teens, then moves downward.
Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

#12 -lxl-

-lxl-

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:36 PM

^yeah i had forehead acne first, and it started going downwards after that
sometimes i wonder if long term use of topical medication prolongs the growing out of acne time... any inputs?

#13 jordan12

jordan12

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

^^I've had the same experience--started out on forehead (relatively minor...and nowhere else)...got progressively worse on forehead and moved down to cheeks...and eventually my forehead cleared (almost...I still get occasional breakouts up there, but it's not really a big deal, and the skin is very regenerative up there) and now it's everything below my forehead that's a problem (mostly cheeks)...and that's where all my scars are (well, aside from the first scars I ever got, which were on my temples...I don't think it's possible for acne on the temples to heal without scarring sad.gif )

#14 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:14 PM

Moved to General Acne forum.
Retired from Acne.org

#15 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:21 PM

It depends on the person. Some people outgrow acne in their twenties, some in their thirties, some in their fourties, some in their fifties. My dad is 56 and he still gets mild breakouts, Im 23 and I still have moderate acne
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#16 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:34 PM

a lot of people outgrow acne around the age 23-25. women have much higher rates of adult acne than men though. what are you using to treat your acne though? you don't need to wait to outgrow it if it can be effectively treated.

#17 scott24

scott24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:58 AM

QUOTE(un4tunate @ Jun 29 2007, 10:27 AM) View Post
Hi, did anyone ever outgrow severe acne? I had severe acne from ages 15-18 on the face and now at 21, my acne has spread on my back and some on chest but reduced on the face.

I'm here thinking i should be 'outgrowing' this horrible disease or w/e it is because everyone told me i will outgrow it.

I do not think i am outgrowing it anytime soon since it has spread all over my back now.

Anyone outgrow their moderate/severe acne? if so, at what age???

I was the opposite of you. My back and chest look pretty good, and my face is becoming worse than ever.

I thought by 24 it would surely be gone, but I was wrong. It bothers me alot more now because in high school it was at least normal to have some, even pretty bad for some people. I have the worst complexion of any 18+ years old person I know. If I wasn't poor, working part time and going to school I would just get insurance and accutane but I think I will just learn to live with it. Doesn't look like it's going away anytime soon.

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck to ya! surprised.gif

Regimen:

Morning:
Cetaphil cleanser
Dan's BP mainly as spot treatment for my problem areas
Sea Breeze Moisturizer

Night:
Same as above, except I do BP on my entire face rather than just spot treatment.

#18 Karisma

Karisma

I'm not even halfway there!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:59 AM

I wouldn't know but i hope you can outgrow severe acne. My dad used to have it but he lost it somewhere in his twenties (i wish he would remember the exact age, i know i would doubt.gif).

I once went to see a chinese medicine doctor and he said that when acne starts to grow down below rather than your face (Cheeks), that it's a good sign. Obviously, that might just be a huge mound of BS

#19 UsNcK

UsNcK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2007 - 03:18 PM

I hate acne as well and I hope I can out grow it. All the adults in my family like my dad, mom, grand mother etc.. have nothing on their face and they are between 40 & 60.

My Regimen

Exfoliate With Baby Brush Every 2 Days
Apply Acne.org Acne Benzoyl Peroxide
Wait 10 Minutes & Apply Alba Aloe & Green Tea Moisturizer

Want Clear Skin?? Quote my regimen! :)

#20 yuzer

yuzer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:29 PM

I outgrew cystic acne for the most part at age 20. I never had it bad but around that age I stopped getting em. After that and to this day I have mild, yet highly persistent acne. Oh yeah, and while I used to have cystic acne, at least my forehead was clear confused.gif Now it's a big acne zone.

It's interesting how acne moves to different parts of the face/body as we age.
===================================================
Skin Type: white/tanned, mild/moderate and highly persistant acne, some whiteheads and non-inflamed acne (rarely cysts), redmarks last for about 2-12 months. Combination skin (very oily and dry at the same time) and sensitive.
CURRENT REGIMEN:

day - OC8

night - Differin 0.1 (retinoid)

cleanser - Cetaphil mild cleanser "softens as it cleans" ===================================================
CURRENT RESULTS: 15 September, 2009

Differin saved my skin! My main problem these days is oily skin. OC8 works well, but it's too expensive and I'm running out. Thinking about getting Milk of Magnesia (MOM) to apply topically. Suggestions welcome.