#41 dejaclairevoyant

dejaclairevoyant

~clean body, beautiful life~

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

Hey Alternativista, this part of the kimchi recipe:

1.Halve cabbage and remove core. Cut into 1-inch slices and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sea salt. Use a plate or other weight to press cabbage down for at least 2 hours. Rinse cabbage, being sure to squeeze out excess moisture.

They don't say so, but you're supposed to add water to the bowl with the cabbage and salt, right? Isn't that the point of the "pressing down" with the plate, to get it under the liquid? Every time I've made kimchi I've soaked it in salt water first, except I was soaking it for an entire day, not 2 hours. Have you used this recipe and did it work? Because it seems like it isn't fermenting when I do it my way. I'm trying to figure out why.

#42 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hey Alternativista, this part of the kimchi recipe:

1.Halve cabbage and remove core. Cut into 1-inch slices and place in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons sea salt. Use a plate or other weight to press cabbage down for at least 2 hours. Rinse cabbage, being sure to squeeze out excess moisture.

They don't say so, but you're supposed to add water to the bowl with the cabbage and salt, right? Isn't that the point of the "pressing down" with the plate, to get it under the liquid? Every time I've made kimchi I've soaked it in salt water first, except I was soaking it for an entire day, not 2 hours. Have you used this recipe and did it work? Because it seems like it isn't fermenting when I do it my way. I'm trying to figure out why.

The only recipe I've done is the Cortido where you make and add pineapple vinegar. And I thought the salt and the pressing was supposed make the cabbage release it's moisture?

#43 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

From a livestrong article. I plan to pare it down to a simple list.   Lactobacillus

A number of microbes in the Lactobacillus family are considered to be probiotics. The University of Maryland Medical Center says that Lactobacillus acidophilus is the probiotic that consumers use most often. This friendly bacteria can live in the intestines, leaving less space for harmful bacteria to take over. Lactobacillus bacteria also digesticon1.png food in the intestines, and the byproducts of this process make the intestinal environment less attractive to harmful bacteria. Lactobacillus acidophilus is present in enriched milk, yogurt, miso and tempeh, and also is available as a supplement in capsules at natural foods distributors. Probiotics such as Lactobacillus acidophilus are generating a lot of interest from health care researchers, and scientists at Stanford University School of Medicine have stated that gastric bypass patients who consume these friendly bacteria lose more weight than those who do not.

advertisement
Tired of Acid Reflux? Learn about a local research study for heartburn and reflux sufferers www.AcidRefluxStudy.com
Bifidobacteria

Bifidobacteria is a type of probiotic that is present in kefir, a fermented milk beverage first consumed in the Caucasus Mountains of Russia thousands of years ago. Acidic and slightly carbonated, kefir sometimes is used in soups, sauces and cakes. Consumption of products containing bifidobacteria helps to improve the microfloral population of the colon. This probiotic may be helpful in relieving the diarrhea and constipation experienced by those with irritable bowel syndromeicon1.png. Dr. Peter Whorwell, of the University of Manchester, reported in the "American Journal of Gastroenterology" in July 2006 that after four weeks of taking Bifantis, a freeze-dried, encapsulated source of bifidobacteria, patients with irritable bowel syndrome showed significant alleviation of abdominal pain, bloating and bowel dysfunction.

Streptococcus

Some streptococcal bacteria are associated with infectious diseases. Others are more closely related to delicious dairy products. Varieties of Streptococcus thermophilus, for example, are commonly found in yogurt, as well as cheddar, Emmental and Italian cheeses, while Streptococcus diacetilactis is found in sour cream, butter and buttermilk. The University of Maryland Medical Center notes that probiotics, such as Streptococcus thermophilus, may help prevent infections in the genital and urinary tracts, but notes that more research is needed to confirm the benefits of probiotics in alleviating these types of conditions.

AloeCure For Acid Reflux "Thank god. It saved my life!" "Here's My Secret" - Read More startaloecure.com/Acid-Reflux
Irritable Bowel Relief New Probiotics + Enzymes Solution Ends IBS in Just 4 Days! Bowel-Digestion-Help.com
Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS Research Study Enrollment. Clinical trial in your area www.CIBSstudy.com
tired of stomach bloating I suffer bloating for years until I tried this one natural supplement! RezVera.com/Bloating
References

Also,

Streptococcus diacetylactis. This is in a probiotic supplement powder called AviBios I got for free (donation to the wildlife center) it's intended for birds.  The livestrong article says it's found in sour cream, butter and buttermilk. I haven't found any info on it's benefits.

Here's a chart on cultures involved in dairy products. http://www.science-p...irybacteria.htm

A nice article listing various bacteria including those involved in sourdough http://kitchenscience.sci-toys.com/biology  It also lists antimicrobial activity of many herbs and spices. Such as garlic, onions, chamomile for e. coli.

It looks like a fun blog. Titled
Your Mother Was a Chemist Science in the Kitchen

#44 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:31 AM

http://www.greenmedi...9147f4-86969685

• Kimchi – a probiotic strain isolated from the fermented cabbage preparation kimchi known as Lactobacillus brevis is capable of degrading organophosphorus pesticides.   
  • Kimchi – a probiotic strain known as Bacillus pumilus found within this fermented food is capable of degrading bisphenol A, a powerful endocrine disruptive chemical.
  • Miso – a fermented soy food has been shown, when consumed regularly, to reduce the risk of breast cancer in women by up to 54%.
  • Miso – capable of regressing colon cancer growth in the animal model.
  • Natto – A fermented soybean extract that has been shown to suppress plaque buildup (as measured by the intima media thickness) in the arteries in an animal model.
  • Natto – capable of contributing to nerve regeneration following sciatic nerve crush injury.

#45 Gladiatoro

Gladiatoro

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Herbalism , data research , RC airplanes , skiing , movies , AC/DC , UFC and my custom Mustang GT.

Posted 20 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

http://www.pbs.org/n...tics_06-16.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users