Photo

Probiotics

probiotic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 CookieCrumbles

CookieCrumbles

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:25 AM

Does anyone here take Probiotics? Not necessarily to cure acne but just for overall health. I think I would benefit by taking some but am not sure what brand to use or if there are different kinds. If anyone has any suggestions or can tell me what they use and where they get it that would be great. Especially if it's something I can pick up at a grocery store or a drug store. Thanks!

#2 doktrin

doktrin

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 12 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

I recently picked up some by Garden of Life called 'Primal Defence'. I've only taken it for 3 days so I can't really tell you much more about them. They're pricy, though. I chose them because they're considered to be high quality and don't require refrigeration.

I've never looked for probiotics at drug stores, to be honest. In general I like to pick up supplements (anything from protein to vitamins) at specialized stores like Vitamin Shoppe (although I avoid GNC if I can). The selection is worth it to me.

#3 Orgasmic Organic

Orgasmic Organic

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

I went to Mothers for my probiotics.

Name: Jarro-Dophilus EPS
4.4 billion organisms per capsule
Enteric Coated

Look in my signature.

#4 jenn221

jenn221

I like food.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

I have a friend who swears by them. I've been meaning to try them for a month or so, but they are very expensive, so I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I've never heard of ones that you don't have to refridgerate though. Do they work as well, do they have a shorter shelf life? I wonder how that works...

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE(doktrin @ Jun 12 2007, 09:25 AM) View Post
I recently picked up some by Garden of Life called 'Primal Defence'. I've only taken it for 3 days so I can't really tell you much more about them. They're pricy, though. I chose them because they're considered to be high quality and don't require refrigeration.

I have primal defence. I don't regularly take any, but I make my own yogurt with organic milk and I use the capsules for the starter. They have billions of different strains. Most drugstore brands just have acidophilus. Different strains can have different benefits, but apparently not all can survive the stomach acids and make it to your intestines. So it's complicated and I've just started looking into it.

I've read that it's the Bifidobacterium strains, also known as bifidus, that protects you from e.coli. But when I tried to find more info, I find studies of Lactobacillus strains and e.coli, specifically Lactobacillus rhamnosus. But if you read further, it says that Bifidobacterium Breve can 'inhibit the consequences of e. coli.
http://iai.asm.org/c.../full/73/8/5183

So apparently you need them all. Or at least a variety.

Here's a list I've found of commonly used strains that are used in probiotics:
Lactobacillus casei Shirota (or LCS), from Yakult and used in the product of the same name.
Lactobacillus rhamnosus LGG, used in over 25 countries. Strain owner is Valio from Finland . Lactobacillus acidophilus LA7, in many dairy products
Lactobacillus acidophilus LA5, in dairy products and food supplements
Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS, mainly in food supplements
Bifidobacterium lactis, BB12, in dairy products
Bifidobacterium longum BB536, in dairy products and supplements
Lactobacillus casei LC1, used in products from Nestlé
Bifidobacterium animalis DN-173 010 (Bifidus Essentis), used in products by Danone

This site says that the one's used to make greek and bulgarian yogurt don't survive. There seems to be a battle about this between yogurt people and probiotic manufacturers, though, with the pro yogurt crowd claiming that studies of yogurt eating people show benefits from yogurt that probiotics in capsule form don't show.
http://www.pdrhealth.../pro_0034.shtml

#6 CookieCrumbles

CookieCrumbles

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE(doktrin @ Jun 12 2007, 10:25 AM) View Post

I've never looked for probiotics at drug stores, to be honest. In general I like to pick up supplements (anything from protein to vitamins) at specialized stores like Vitamin Shoppe (although I avoid GNC if I can). The selection is worth it to me.

Thanks for recommending Vitamin Shoppe!! I had not thought about that store! There is one in my town and I can probably find both the fish oil and probiotics that I want there, along with other good stuff.

#7 BigBeauty

BigBeauty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE(CookieCrumbles @ Jun 12 2007, 07:38 PM) View Post
QUOTE(doktrin @ Jun 12 2007, 10:25 AM) View Post

Thanks for recommending Vitamin Shoppe!! I had not thought about that store! There is one in my town and I can probably find both the fish oil and probiotics that I want there, along with other good stuff.

If you go there, check their prices online first. Often their website prices are a lot cheaper than in store. They probably will give you the website price if you ask/demand, I saved a good $10 or so on Carlson's fish oil.

#8 Charles_V

Charles_V

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 07:58 PM

I'm also taking Primal Defense. Kinda hard to tell if it's helping or not. My idiot derm put me on tetracycline for 4 years straight and he wrecked my digestive system so i figured a probiotic supplement wouldn't do any harm.

I would definitely look for them in a specialized store. The brands you find in pharmacies are usually low quality and most of the probiotic are dead by the time you buy the product.

#9 Qdogg

Qdogg

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 June 2007 - 09:18 PM

what exactly do probiotics do?

#10 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:59 AM

QUOTE(Qdogg @ Jun 12 2007, 11:18 PM) View Post
what exactly do probiotics do?

pro·bi·ot·ics
n.
Live bacteria ingested to supplement normal gastrointestinal flora, especially after depletion of flora caused by infection or ingestion of antibiotics. The Free Dictionary

#11 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE(Charles_V @ Jun 12 2007, 08:58 PM) View Post
I'm also taking Primal Defense. Kinda hard to tell if it's helping or not. My idiot derm put me on tetracycline for 4 years straight and he wrecked my digestive system so i figured a probiotic supplement wouldn't do any harm.

I would definitely look for them in a specialized store. The brands you find in pharmacies are usually low quality and most of the probiotic are dead by the time you buy the product.

Ugh for real? lol.. my gram is over at walgreens buying me probiotics right now....