Scarless Healing

5508 replies to this topic

#4861 Hiddy Cheeks

Hiddy Cheeks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

Aren't people getting ahead of themselves on this, as I understand it this is being developed as a treatment for burn injuries and ulcers, not acne scars. Those are quite different things and the researchers have said nothing about scar correction.  

#4862 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:36 AM

So they can amputate legs but they can't take away a small scar? Also, how likely do you think it is that these scientists and surgeons when they read your post would go "Hey these guys in the acne.org make some good points. We never stopped to think about all of that! I guess it's back to the drawing boards. sad.png ". lol.gif I'm sure they know what they're doing...

While this sounds promising, how would it work - does anyone know? Would you just apply it or would you have to ablate away some skin and apply it? I'm having a hard time imagining what a procedure would look like that uses this wonder-gel.

Sorry if this has already been answered.

You would have to remove the entire scar. I'm not exactly sure how they would go about doing this because of all the blood if the scar is deep enough. Plus how would anyone know exactly how deep to go? Meaning how would they know how deep the scarring is

Take away skin that's injured by fire and what do you have? A wound that needs to heal. Take away skin that's scarred by acne and what do you have? A wound that needs to heal.

Aren't people getting ahead of themselves on this, as I understand it this is being developed as a treatment for burn injuries and ulcers, not acne scars. Those are quite different things and the researchers have said nothing about scar correction.  

#4863 CollegeKidd

CollegeKidd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I hope this isn't only for severe burn victims or that wouldn't make sense/be fair. All scars are the same at the end of the day, so if there's a solution to completely getting rid of them I think it should apply to all scar cases. 

#4864 cycloverid

cycloverid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

Engineering Bioactive Hydrogels for Treating Full Thickness Dermal Wounds

Wednesday, November 6, 2013: 1:42 PM

Is anyone attending this today? I'm eager with anticipation.

Edited by cycloverid, 06 November 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#4865 golfpanther

golfpanther

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:49 PM

While this sounds promising, how would it work - does anyone know? Would you just apply it or would you have to ablate away some skin and apply it? I'm having a hard time imagining what a procedure would look like that uses this wonder-gel.

You would have to remove the entire scar. I'm not exactly sure how they would go about doing this because of all the blood if the scar is deep enough. Plus how would anyone know exactly how deep to go? Meaning how would they know how deep the scarring is

I believe they used a hole-punch excision on the mice for the experiment. It's documented in the paper and that's what I recall reading. This method is used on humans as well.

As far as how deep to excise, skin has three layers and in the paper they excised every layer in order to create a new wound bed. They then used the hydrogel on the freshly created wound. Since 3rd degree burns (the ones given to mice for the paper) destroy all three layers of skin, you'd need to remove all of that tissue in order to have a shot at complete regeneration.

Hope this helps!

Lapis explained this well, but the idea with the hydrogel is to remove the damaged tissue through excision (e.g. all 3 layers of the skin). At that point, a wound is a wound unless the damage went beyond the 3 layers of the skin.

#4866 CollegeKidd

CollegeKidd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

I believe they used a hole-punch excision on the mice for the experiment. It's documented in the paper and that's what I recall reading. This method is used on humans as well.

As far as how deep to excise, skin has three layers and in the paper they excised every layer in order to create a new wound bed. They then used the hydrogel on the freshly created wound. Since 3rd degree burns (the ones given to mice for the paper) destroy all three layers of skin, you'd need to remove all of that tissue in order to have a shot at complete regeneration.

Hope this helps!

>Aren't people getting ahead of themselves on this, as I understand it this is being developed as a treatment for burn injuries and ulcers, not acne scars. Those are quite different things and the researchers have said nothing about scar correction.  

Lapis explained this well, but the idea with the hydrogel is to remove the damaged tissue through excision (e.g. all 3 layers of the skin). At that point, a wound is a wound unless the damage went beyond the 3 layers of the skin.

I'm guessing they would be able to customize the width and length of the punch hole to each scar? 

#4867 cycloverid

cycloverid

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Wait, so did the meeting take place today? I WANT UPDATES!!!

#4868 CollegeKidd

CollegeKidd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

Wait, so did the meeting take place today? I WANT UPDATES!!!

The event took place today, but there's no guarantee that there will be an update. Best case scenario is that they somehow got investors to help fund the hydrogel. *fingers crosses*

#4869 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:13 AM

https://aiche.confex...aper337043.html

At the bottom of that page they mention an extended abstract that isn't uploaded. I'm assuming they will at some point do so.

#4870 skinregenerator

skinregenerator

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

check this::

http://www.scienceda...31009132235.htm

#4871 CollegeKidd

CollegeKidd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:36 PM

check this::

http://www.scienceda...31009132235.htm

Very interesting and amazing, but it has nothing to do with the hydrogel! -___- 

#4872 Hiddy Cheeks

Hiddy Cheeks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:43 AM

At the bottom of that page they mention an extended abstract that isn't uploaded. I'm assuming they will at some point do so.

Where's the bit about scarless healing? All I see is: "Burn wounds treated with dextran hydrogels showed enhanced re-epithelialization, hair follicle recruitment and neovasculargenesis during the healing process."

That's so vauge as to be capable of meaning anything. Enhanced by how much? 2%? 90%? I admit I haven't read much on this, but that abstract doesn't seem like much to get excited about. 

#4873 CollegeKidd

CollegeKidd

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:07 AM

Where's the bit about scarless healing? All I see is: "Burn wounds treated with dextran hydrogels showed enhanced re-epithelialization, hair follicle recruitment and neovasculargenesis during the healing process."

That's so vauge as to be capable of meaning anything. Enhanced by how much? 2%? 90%? I admit I haven't read much on this, but that abstract doesn't seem like much to get excited about. 

Like Seabs said, it's not a scientific document it's just an announcement for an event. So, they're not really gonna go into detail about all the scientific aspects of it. We should just trust what John Hopkins has put out, which is that the hydrogel promoted SCAR FREE skin regeneration. I just wanna know what's taking so long like this is literally revolutionary!! -___- 

#4874 trendycat

trendycat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:20 AM

While this isn't related to the hydrogel, it is a very interesting and promising article nonetheless. Apologies if it's been posted before:

http://www.dailymail...eal-wounds.html

#4875 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

Look, they managed to achieve it (i.e. scar free healing) in mice. This is the same approach they are using here. They didn't mention that they are sure to achieve the same in people as they haven't tested on people yet. The most they can do is give people an update on where they are now and that's what makes it interesting.

#4876 REPOLA

REPOLA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hi folks, I wil try to contact with the researchers by email, that is all  I can do, I hope will help if they reply.

#4877 golfpanther

golfpanther

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

I covered this a few pages back. The gist is that these terms are used alongside complete tissue regeneration and scar free healing in the paper. The terms used in the release are the accepted technical way of describing the healing results compared to the control and other dressings they applied to the wounds. It's a comparison against those methods (e.g. it enhanced healing beyond what they could do). But as Lapis pointed out, the paper uses the term complete tissue regeneration and scar free healing.

Hi folks, I wil try to contact with the researchers by email, that is all  I can do, I hope will help if they reply.

I'm going to as well. Although, I've only ever heard from Dr. Sun and he no longer works there. Someone else on those board had success talking to Dr. Harmon so he might be our best bet.

#4878 REPOLA

REPOLA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:42 PM

Golfphanter, can you please try with Dr Sun also, I know he no longer Works there but for sure he knows more than us, he is researcher and for sure still in touch with the previous colleagues.

I covered this a few pages back. The gist is that these terms are used alongside complete tissue regeneration and scar free healing in the paper. The terms used in the release are the accepted technical way of describing the healing results compared to the control and other dressings they applied to the wounds. It's a comparison against those methods (e.g. it enhanced healing beyond what they could do). But as Lapis pointed out, the paper uses the term complete tissue regeneration and scar free healing.

>Hi folks, I wil try to contact with the researchers by email, that is all  I can do, I hope will help if they reply.

I'm going to as well. Although, I've only ever heard from Dr. Sun and he no longer works there. Someone else on those board had success talking to Dr. Harmon so he might be our best bet.

#4879 REPOLA

REPOLA

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 November 2013 - 04:39 PM

Golfphanter, can you please try with Dr Sun also, I know he no longer Works there but for sure he knows more than us, he is researcher and for sure still in touch with the previous colleagues.

#4880 Hiddy Cheeks

Hiddy Cheeks

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

Why are they testing the gel on pigs before people? If this is primarily being developed as a treatment for humans why not go straight to human trials or least do them side by side with pig trials. And If it doesn't work on pigs then what? That won't necessarily mean it won't work on people, so what has been achieved by doing the pig trials first? And I see they're talking about human trials being several years away. WTF? If it's shown efficacy start testing already. The testing regime these people follow seems unnecessarily slow and cumbersome to me. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users