5377 replies to this topic

#4641 skinregenerator

skinregenerator

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Good web page

''“The main chemical ingredient here is a form of sugar currently used in bread, and which has been used clinically since the 1940s with a long safety record.''

¿any know how is the name of that sugar?

from the fb page

http://eng.jhu.edu/w...rs-of-hydrogel/

Let me doubt the word ''biomaterial''.

From that interview

''anticipate seeing hydrogel being used clinically in pre-approved trials on humans within 18 to 24 months

Gerecht and her team are also working on forms of hydrogel that are infused with various forms of human stem cells in an effort to trigger the body’s power to regenerate blood vessels.

There is still much work that must be done before we can make it work the way we want it to. But I think we are on the right track.” Gerecht’s work is funded in part by the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation''

My opinión is

Why they want to try different things? Why would add things like stem cells? do not understand why complicate things. should first projected sales shows the hydrogel simple, and then see if they can improve.

I do not know why the articles is undated. I want to see the date of this interview so after two years to see if they fulfill the promise of human testing

they worked on stem cell for wound healing,but not working. check here:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23486832

#4642 golfpanther

golfpanther

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Good web page

''“The main chemical ingredient here is a form of sugar currently used in bread, and which has been used clinically since the 1940s with a long safety record.''

¿any know how is the name of that sugar?

from the fb page

http://eng.jhu.edu/w...rs-of-hydrogel/

Let me doubt the word ''biomaterial''.

From that interview

''anticipate seeing hydrogel being used clinically in pre-approved trials on humans within 18 to 24 months

Gerecht and her team are also working on forms of hydrogel that are infused with various forms of human stem cells in an effort to trigger the body’s power to regenerate blood vessels.

There is still much work that must be done before we can make it work the way we want it to. But I think we are on the right track.” Gerecht’s work is funded in part by the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation''

My opinión is

Why they want to try different things? Why would add things like stem cells? do not understand why complicate things. should first projected sales shows the hydrogel simple, and then see if they can improve.

I do not know why the articles is undated. I want to see the date of this interview so after two years to see if they fulfill the promise of human testing
they worked on stem cell for wound healing,but not working. check here:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23486832

It's not using the dextran hydrogel and since it's using progenitor cells (somewhat mislabeled as adult stem cells) it's not the same as embryonic stem cells that can replicate indefinitely. They implanted an engineered vascular network derived from a hyaluronic acid hydrogel. I'm no expert but from what I gather from this abstract is that they were testing vascular networks they'd created to see if they would integrate with the existing vasculature structures of the mouse.

Still, a good find and interesting that they used a different hydrogel when conducting this study. I guess they're probably trying to determine the efficacy of the dextran hydrogel by itself in other animals before adding anything to it.

Edited by golfpanther, 16 July 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#4643 panos

panos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Regenerating from the Core

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

I have never seen of a case where stem cells have worked.

I have never heard of ''Stem cells cured me''.

#4644 Maldition

Maldition

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

So now we

1 Ask and find out exactly when they start testing in pigs

2 Try to convince any doctor who participates testing to send us a photo of pigs before and after healing

3 Ask when exactly would be available in veterinary

#4645 schmoond

schmoond

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:04 PM

This seems a little more clear, but it looks like good news to me! Could it be one of the forms of the hydrogel that they're working on? http://www.hopkinsme...w_blood_vessels_

http://www.genengnew.../print/4/31941/

These came out two days ago (:

#4646 golfpanther

golfpanther

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

This seems a little more clear, but it looks like good news to me! Could it be one of the forms of the hydrogel that they're working on? http://www.hopkinsme...w_blood_vessels_

Great find. Does definitely seem like good news. Here's a link to the abstract:

http://www.pnas.org/...562110.abstract.

Maldition, I've tried contacting Fini directly but have been unsuccessful so far. Although, I'm pretty sure the results will be available somewhere online and it seems like JHU's technology transfer website is keeping things pretty up to date. I imagine Fini got burned out from reading so many e-mails from people. The article I posted a bit ago said they were getting several e-mails a week regarding the hydrogel and that doesn't account for e-mails he gets about other projects they have going.

#4647 trendycat

trendycat

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:45 AM

Anyone else excited that there's actually progress related to this hydrogel and regenerative medicine?

The day when this hydrogel, or whatever treatment years down the line heals my face into something that is smooth, is the day I'll be able to open myself back up to the world and start healing the deep emotional damage I have accumulated by living with this disfigurement.

Best wishes to all other sufferers out there. If it isn't this hydrogel that will save us, it will be some other treatment in the future. Regenerative medicine is coming!

I'll be proud to know the hell I lived through when I can look myself in the face and see a new person.

Edited by trendycat, 20 July 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#4648 Maldition

Maldition

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

@golfpanther The perfect deal is having hydrogel for sale next year in veterinary sale

Edited by Maldition, 22 July 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#4649 golfpanther

golfpanther

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

@golfpanther The perfect deal is having hydrogel for sale next year in veterinary sale

Honestly, I could see it happening before the end of this year. Their timeline was 6-12 months so depending on when exactly they were quoting that timeline in the article it could be before the end of this year. The JHU engineering school magazine is only published bi-yearly so they could have gathered those quotes anytime before its publication.

But I can't imagine it won't be available next year for veterinary use. The moment of truth is drawing ever closer. smile.png

Edited by golfpanther, 23 July 2013 - 04:41 PM.

#4650 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Honestly, I could see it happening before the end of this year. Their timeline was 6-12 months so depending on when exactly they were quoting that timeline in the article it could be before the end of this year. The JHU engineering school magazine is only published bi-yearly so they could have gathered those quotes anytime before its publication.

But I can't imagine it won't be available next year for veterinary use. The moment of truth is drawing ever closer. :)

I just WISH nothing goes wrong

#4651 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:33 AM

I'm a pretty happy person but I'd definately be happier without what scarring I have. I'm not all messed up mentally because of it anymore though. But if I had a button I could press that would reverse the physical "damage done" I'd press it in an instant.

I'm sorry to hear that you still struggle emotionally to the extent that you do.

Anyone else excited that there's actually progress related to this hydrogel and regenerative medicine?

The day when this hydrogel, or whatever treatment years down the line heals my face into something that is smooth, is the day I'll be able to open myself back up to the world and start healing the deep emotional damage I have accumulated by living with this disfigurement.

Best wishes to all other sufferers out there. If it isn't this hydrogel that will save us, it will be some other treatment in the future. Regenerative medicine is coming!

I'll be proud to know the hell I lived through when I can look myself in the face and see a new person.

#4652 Rez77

Rez77

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

I have a feeling by 2020 we're going to have a lot of these therapies on the market. At least for our minimal cosmetic purposes. This talk explains some of the things we may be able to hope for. 

#4653 Vladislav

Vladislav

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me
  • Interests:regenerative medicine

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

I would say that it is just basic research, not applied research like the 8020 hydrogel for skin scarring, here is why it is important to create vascular networks for the future of regenerative medicine, if scientists fail to do that they will never be able to create more complex lab-grown organs (from the book 'Physics of the Future' - Michio Kaku, chapter: Future of Medicine):

If your virtual doctor finds something wrong, such as a diseased organ, then he might order a new one to be grown
directly from your own cells. “Tissue engineering” is one of the hottest fields in medicine, making possible a “human
body shop.” So far, scientists can grow skin, blood, blood vessels, heart valves, cartilage, bone, noses, and ears in the
lab from your own cells. The first major organ, the bladder, was grown in 2007, the first windpipe in 2009. So far, the
only organs that have been grown are relatively simple, involving only a few types of tissues and few structures.
Within five years, the first liver and pancreas might be grown, with enormous implications for public health. Nobel
laureate Walter Gilbert told me that he foresees a time, just a few decades into the future, when practically every organ
of the body will be grown from your own cells.
Tissue engineering grows new organs by first extracting a few cells from your body. These cells are then injected
into a plastic mold that looks like a sponge shaped in the form of the organ in question. The plastic mold is made of
biodegradable polyglycolic acid. The cells are treated with certain growth factors to stimulate cell growth, causing
them to grow into the mold. Eventually, the mold disintegrates, leaving behind a perfect organ.
I had the opportunity to visit Anthony Atala’s laboratory at Wake Forest University in North Carolina and witness
this miraculous technology firsthand. As I walked through his laboratory, I saw bottles that contained living human
organs. I could see blood vessels and bladders; I saw heart valves that were constantly opening and closing because
liquids were being pumped through them. Seeing all these living human organs in bottles, I almost felt as if I were
walking through Dr. Frankenstein’s laboratory, but there were several crucial differences. Back in the nineteenth
century, doctors were ignorant of the body’s rejection mechanism, which makes it impossible to graft new organs. Plus,
doctors did not know how to stop the infections that would inevitably contaminate any organ after surgery. So Atala,
instead of creating a monster, is opening an entirely new lifesaving medical technology that may one day change the
face of medicine.
One future target for his laboratory is to grow a human liver, perhaps within five years. The liver is not that
complicated and consists of only a few types of tissue. Lab-grown livers could save thousands of lives, especially those
in desperate need of liver transplants. It could also save the lives of alcoholics suffering from cirrhosis. (Unfortunately,
it could also encourage people to keep bad habits, knowing that they can get replacement organs for their damaged
ones.)
If organs of the body, like the windpipe and the bladder, can be grown now, what is to prevent scientists from
growing every organ of the body? One basic problem is how to grow the tiny capillaries that provide blood for the
cells. Every cell in the body has to be in contact with a blood supply. In addition, there is the problem of growing
complex structures. The kidney, which purifies the blood of toxins, is composed of millions of tiny filters, so a mold
for these filters is quite difficult to create.

In any case in general it is good that it is possible to create vascular networks and it is good to have an alternative for embryonic stem cells (those are iPS cells), without these two things you can forget about all the great promises of regenerative medicine.

Edited by Vladislav, 27 July 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#4654 mikae

mikae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

How many of you have trust on this dextran hydrogel? I wonder if the researchers have urge to use it on a small wound and see if it results scarless healing on humans. Would be much easier to find out whether it's the solution we're waiting for.

#4655 panos

panos

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Regenerating from the Core

Posted 02 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

How many of you have trust on this dextran hydrogel? I wonder if the researchers have urge to use it on a small wound and see if it results scarless healing on humans. Would be much easier to find out whether it's the solution we're waiting for.

small wound?

if you want to go scarless on new small cuts/wounds then use cayenne pepper powder.

I believe this is scam like 100% of these so promising medicals that have never helped NOT A SINGLE PERSON

to this day.

#4656 mikae

mikae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

If you want to go scarless on new small cuts/wounds then use cayenne pepper powder.

That's definitely untrue. It may help assist in healing process but there's better products available. 

#4657 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

Trust??? (As in hearsay?)

It is something that digested and proved rapid digestion and 'complete regeneration' of a third degree burn; it was wrote up in a testable peer reviewed scientific paper.

Edited by seabs135, 03 August 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#4658 mikae

mikae

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:08 PM

Yes, but they tried it on mice not on humans. If you are a mouse, it's great news for you then. What I mean is, do you believe it will produce scarless healing on humans as well?

#4659 AghhNe

AghhNe

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yes, but they tried it on mice not on humans. If you are a mouse, it's great news for you then. What I mean is, do you believe it will produce scarless healing on humans as well?

Well, we can't believe yet.
But mouse skin do have simmilarities with human skin hence they use mouses.

The only way to really know is for them to test it on humans.

#4660 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

You are making an assumption that a scaffold can discriminate between tissue. All scaffolds do is they either 1. degrade or 2. they get rejected by the body. As the scaffolds are eaten by the immune response, logically they cannot discriminate against any tissue (e.g. a bit of chicken you ate has no choice in the matter). Btw if you look at all other scaffolds they behave similar in all tissues, so if a scaffold is digested in one tissue it will also be digestible in other tissues..

Edited by seabs135, 03 August 2013 - 03:47 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users