#2921 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

Third degree burns healed "scar free"

In third-degree burn treatment, hydrogel helps grow new, scar-free skin
After 21 days, the gel has been harmlessly absorbed, and the tissue continues to return to the appearance of normal skin.
http://www.eurekaler...u-itb121311.php

Yeah, the scarless healing thread is BACK!
And this sounds great. So maybe another 4 years and 3000 posts in this thread later, this stuff will be on the market Posted Image

LOL.

BTW that was scar free, not scarless, this stuff is scar free... I dont highlight scarless.

Edited by seabs135, 15 December 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#2922 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

After 21 days, the gel has been harmlessly absorbed, and the tissue continues to return to the appearance of normal skin.

Interesting article. I'll have to read that more carefully later.

#2923 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:50 PM

Well that gel seems quite cool. Dextran, eh? More saccharides to the rescue. lol One thing though...they are testing on animals, right? Well I read on Wikipedia about it not reliably predicting effects in humans according to some. Didn't Renovo, whilst testing on pigs, get results which weren't seen when they tested in humans? I might be remembering wrongly but... Anyway, I'm not getting my hopes up just yet. I wonder how they define "a few years". It's cool though. I mean if this thing can do the trick... We'll see... We'll see.

Thanks for posting that, Seabs.

Yeah, the scarless healing thread is BACK!
And this sounds great. So maybe another 4 years and 3000 posts in this thread later, this stuff will be on the market Posted Image

LOL.

BTW that was scar free, not scarless, this stuff is scar free... I dont highlight scarless.

Free of scars sounds nice. ^_^

Edited by Lapis lazuli, 16 December 2011 - 05:49 PM.

#2924 NeoMike

NeoMike

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

http://www.pnas.org/...2/13/1115973108

Here is the original paper, for the ones who like to read it.
I don't think,they will need much time to switch to humans.
There is nothing problematic and it can be produced on a
larger scale in quite a short time.

I think, this is something to keep in mind.

Neo

#2925 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

I wonder how they define "a few years".

I think as it has no artificial chemicals, It would be tested as a device instead of a drug. I'm sure devices need less time to be approved.

#2926 Uncut

Uncut

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:38 AM

But assuming that this comes out within the next 3 years how would one apply it to old scars? Fraxel, Dermabrasion or C02 first then apply the hydro gel?
I mean for some they would have to remove a WHOLE lot of skin to remove all the scars. Either way this sounds really promising I wonder if combined with the skin gun or re-cell with have added benefits. Fingers crossed it gets approved soon and quickly made available for comestic uses not just severe burn victims.

#2927 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Uncut It regenerates skin completely in 3rd degree burns in around 21 days, hair follicles and blood vessels with no scar etc. It allows the body to regenerate itself. Also note that if you are burned by 3rd degree burns, this looks outstanding.

Edited by seabs135, 03 January 2012 - 07:45 AM.

#2928 Uncut

Uncut

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:19 PM

Seabs, this does sound amazing but with the whole crap FDA approval system it's still while away from being on the market. But like you said since
it's likely it'll be marketed as a device hopefully this will speed things up and hopefully there's more news on this in the upcoming months.

#2929 Scars4Life

Scars4Life

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:25 AM

Lol 3rd degree burns are actually pretty bad, so if it can honestly deliver scar free healing to that, then I will be pretty impressed.

Good to be back and have at least some mild hope of a brighter future.

But like always, you shouldn't get too excited.

#2930 zirs

zirs

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

So Hydrogel is the answer? i think this is the real solution. Let's talk about it.

#2931 jacno

jacno

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

So Hydrogel is the answer? i think this is the real solution. Let's talk about it.

There's no new info about it online. Not sure whats there to talk about?

#2932 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

There's no new info about it online. Not sure whats there to talk about?

Here is the support info. that I dont think was posted...

http://www.pnas.org/....DCSupplemental

BTW I'm sure there was talk on this thread about sugars and scar free healing in the past.

Very exciting for people with scars and those badly burned.

#2933 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

That's one of the more promising after photos I've seen (the one seen in the document that the link which Seabs posted leads to). I've learned to live with what scarring I have but still... If a treatment does come out and it's proven to work, I'd consider it.

Edited by Lapis lazuli, 28 January 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#2934 jacno

jacno

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

That's one of the more promising after photos I've seen (the one seen in the document that the link which Seabs posted leads to). I've learned to live with what scarring I have but still... If a treatment does come out and it's proven to work, I'd consider it.

But the after picture still shows damage? It's hairless and whitish, am I missin something here? Also On the first page of the document, doesn't it say how they made it?

#2935 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:59 PM

But the after picture still shows damage? It's hairless and whitish, am I missin something here? Also On the first page of the document, doesn't it say how they made it?

Maybe you're right, I dunno... The fact that it's hairless may just be due to fact that hair needs time to grow though.

#2936 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:26 PM

My view Jacno,
if you look at the pdf in the pdf viewer not firefox or IE etc. and then zoom in 300% you will see the control and the other scaffold are still red, yet the hyrdrogel is not.

>>IMO this shows the [hydrogel] wound has finished re-epithelizing and healing after 21 days (and as such because it is in a time frame there can be no scar!) and it looks like the control and the other scaffold will go on to scar.

1. Why do I think the control scaffold and the other non scaffold control will go on to scar? And 2. why do I think the hydrogel has rehealed with no scar?

1. If a wound takes longer than the time frame 3 to 4weeks to heal a scar forms. Clearly the wound is still healing in the control after 21 days.

2. In the hydrogel, there is clearly no scar or more epithilization in under the 21 days to my eyes. There is also no redness at the 21day point. Which shows the wound has epithelized in a key period. Which under normal circumstances without the use of a scaffold would mean if it healed in that time frame, then no scar would form. Also the authors claims are quite clear:

(edit: Just to emphasize how impressive this re-epithalization is: In usual circustances if any re-epithilization happens in under 21 days the wound reepithalized because the wound was superficial; remember this is a full thickness wound from a 3rd degree burn, not the type of burn you'd get with a lazer etc.)

"We were surprised to see such complete regeneration in the absence of any added biological signals," Gerecht said.

John Harmon, a professor of surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and director of surgical research at Bayview, described the mouse study results as "absolutely remarkable. We got complete skin regeneration, which never happens in typical burn wound treatment."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111213131956.htm

"This treatment promoted the development of new blood vessels and the regeneration of complex layers of skin, including hair follicles and the glands that produce skin oil," said Sharon Gerecht,
Gerecht says the hydrogel is constructed in such a way that it allows tissue regeneration and blood vessel formation to occur very quickly. "Inflammatory cells are able to easily penetrate and degrade the hydrogel, enabling blood vessels to fill in and support wound healing and the growth of new tissue," she said. For burns, the faster this process occurs, Gerecht added, the less there is a chance for scarring.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-12/jhu-itb121311.php

To back up what I'm saying here with regards to time frames look at this reference:

•Healing in 2 weeks – minimal to no scar

•Healing in 3 weeks – minimal to no scar except in high risk scar formers

•Healing in 4 weeks or more – hypertrophic in more than 50% of patients

http://www.burnsurge...201/sect_IX.htm

Edited by seabs135, 28 January 2012 - 05:46 PM.

#2937 jacno

jacno

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

My view Jacno,
if you look at the pdf in the pdf viewer not firefox or IE etc. and then zoom in 300% you will see the control and the other scaffold are still red, yet the hyrdrogel is not.

>>IMO this shows the [hydrogel] wound has finished re-epithelizing and healing after 21 days (and as such because it is in a time frame there can be no scar!) and it looks like the control and the other scaffold will go on to scar.

1. Why do I think the control scaffold and the other non scaffold control will go on to scar? And 2. why do I think the hydrogel has rehealed with no scar?

1. If a wound takes longer than the time frame 3 to 4weeks to heal a scar forms. Clearly the wound is still healing in the control after 21 days.

2. In the hydrogel, there is clearly no scar or more epithilization under 21 days to my eyes. There is also no redness at the 21day point. Which shows the wound has epithelized in a key period. Which under normal circumstances without the use of a scaffold would mean if it healed in that time frame, then no scar would form. Also the authors claims are quite clear:

"We were surprised to see such complete regeneration in the absence of any added biological signals," Gerecht said.

John Harmon, a professor of surgery at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and director of surgical research at Bayview, described the mouse study results as "absolutely remarkable. We got complete skin regeneration, which never happens in typical burn wound treatment."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111213131956.htm

"This treatment promoted the development of new blood vessels and the regeneration of complex layers of skin, including hair follicles and the glands that produce skin oil," said Sharon Gerecht,
Gerecht says the hydrogel is constructed in such a way that it allows tissue regeneration and blood vessel formation to occur very quickly. "Inflammatory cells are able to easily penetrate and degrade the hydrogel, enabling blood vessels to fill in and support wound healing and the growth of new tissue," she said. For burns, the faster this process occurs, Gerecht added, the less there is a chance for scarring.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-12/jhu-itb121311.php

To back up what I'm saying here with regards to time frames look at this reference:

•Healing in 2 weeks minimal to no scar

•Healing in 3 weeks minimal to no scar except in high risk scar formers

•Healing in 4 weeks or more hypertrophic in more than 50% of patients

http://www.burnsurge...201/sect_IX.htm

So did they excise the burn scar then apply the gel? Or is that a fresh burn? I wasn't to sure of that

#2938 seabs135

seabs135

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

So did they excise the burn scar then apply the gel? Or is that a fresh burn? I wasn't to sure of that

I'm sure I read that they burned the mce full thickness, then performed full thickness burn wound excisions after 48hours. Which IMO a full thicknes burn is the same as a full thickness excision anyway, in that both wounds have to regrow the full tissue architecture...

#2939 jacno

jacno

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

I'm sure I read that they burned the mce full thickness, then performed full thickness burn wound excisions after 48hours. Which IMO a full thicknes burn is the same as a full thickness excision anyway, in that both wounds have to regrow the full tissue architecture...

Oh so I guess when they decide to release it and if it works youd have to excise your acne scars and use the hydro gel

#2940 Lapis lazuli

Lapis lazuli

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

In that PDF it says that they used the gel in combination with Integra wound dressing which I think is made of bovine derived material at least in part. And it's cross-linked which they say means that part of that stuff actually becomes part of you. So when you use it and the wound has healed/your skin has been regenerated you've become part man, part cow. Posted Image

I may be wrong though. In any case I wonder if the gel can work with a variety of dressings. Like Ceasar dressings... lol Sorry for the lame joke. :rolleyes: I'm sure there are also non-crossed linked dressings that don't contain animal derived components. Hopefully they'll work just as well in combination with the gel (that rhymes!).

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users