Photo

Friction causing cysts around groin/armpits/buttocks - help???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 irish_simon

irish_simon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

Hello.

I've had acne for about 5 years now, and I've finished a 2-year course of Accutane about 2 months ago.

My face is completely clear and has been for years (thankfully). My chest hasn't had any new ones in a long time. My back has been pretty dormant for the most part, with just the odd one coming up.

However I've been getting big sub-surface cystic acne around areas that get alot of friction... Not alot of them (at the moment I count 4), but they're quite painful.

I get them between my buttocks, on the inside of my thighs, and in my arm pits (although not so much there recently). I've also noticed (and this was a bit of a give-away) that while I don't have cysts, I do have worse skin on my right thigh, where my pocket touches my leg, than on the same area on my left thigh. I believe this is because I always have my phone in my right pocket.

This leads me to believe that it's friction that is causing this acne. Can anyone confirm? I understand that acne can be made worse by friction.

If this is the case, does anybody have a solution for me that might limited the friction and reduce the acne? I'm thinking that either talcum powder, or else baby oil, might do the trick. What do you think?

Thank you

#2 DckSteel

DckSteel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE(irish_simon @ Jun 3 2007, 01:09 PM) View Post
Hello.

I've had acne for about 5 years now, and I've finished a 2-year course of Accutane about 2 months ago.

My face is completely clear and has been for years (thankfully). My chest hasn't had any new ones in a long time. My back has been pretty dormant for the most part, with just the odd one coming up.

However I've been getting big sub-surface cystic acne around areas that get alot of friction... Not alot of them (at the moment I count 4), but they're quite painful.

I get them between my buttocks, on the inside of my thighs, and in my arm pits (although not so much there recently). I've also noticed (and this was a bit of a give-away) that while I don't have cysts, I do have worse skin on my right thigh, where my pocket touches my leg, than on the same area on my left thigh. I believe this is because I always have my phone in my right pocket.

This leads me to believe that it's friction that is causing this acne. Can anyone confirm? I understand that acne can be made worse by friction.

If this is the case, does anybody have a solution for me that might limited the friction and reduce the acne? I'm thinking that either talcum powder, or else baby oil, might do the trick. What do you think?

Thank you

i think the friction is causing a rubbing which is causing more oil and bacteria to go into your skins pores which thus causes the acne/cysts.

#3 irish_simon

irish_simon

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:23 PM

Yeh I guess that makes sense. Any ideas of how to reduce the friction? I've been using vaseline (jelly stuff), but it doesn't seem to be working too good.

#4 DckSteel

DckSteel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE(irish_simon @ Jun 3 2007, 01:23 PM) View Post
Yeh I guess that makes sense. Any ideas of how to reduce the friction? I've been using vaseline (jelly stuff), but it doesn't seem to be working too good.

no vaseline will clog your pores more. perhaps maybe try to wear thin fabric boxer shorts to protect your upper thigh area and butt area so there isnt so much rubbing. also take hot showers, 2 a day. and also instead of carrying your phone in your pocket, clip it onto yer belt instead. if the cysts get worse or the dots get bigger , perhaps u should look into my post on "better than accutane"

#5 incubus4284

incubus4284

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:04 PM

Only suggestion that anybody can give is stop wearing tight clothing if thats truly the problem
I think George Bush needs to find "Amanda Huggenkiss"

#6 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2007 - 02:11 AM

If you're still under the care of a dermatologist, my suggestion is to go see your derm. If not, go to see your primary care physician as those are not typical locations for 'acne'. It could be symptomatic of an allergy, friction, or a different type of 'acne'.

If you happen to be overweight, the best thing to do is lose weight. If not, try to keep those areas as dry as possible without applying drying liquids. Do not apply vaseline or other such pore clogging ointments/salves. Apply an antiperspirant deodorant to one spot only (to see if it might cause problems) in a very light film and see if that helps (you might try the buttcrack if you already put antiperspirant on your underarms). You could consider a very light (VERY light) dusting of Gold Bond medicated powder to only those areas that develop the cysts.

EDIT: I've read elsewhere on these forums that antiperspirant deodorant can cause blockage of pores. Probably better not to use it. Just try the gold bond in a very light dusting. If you're brave, try the antiperspirant.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#7 Necromancer

Necromancer

ayla: Necro is God-Like he's so pretty.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

I recommend wearing boxer briefs, wifebeaters, and lose fitting clothing. Also stop wearing backpacks if you do. I get cysts on my back and shoulders when I was in college because I carried all those stupid books around. When I stopped going to class with all that crap, my back cleared up. When I stopped taking notes, it became 100% clear. Case closed.

ninja.gif
Rebuild. Recover. Return.
Cancer Survivor
[sig-img:587]

#8 femme25

femme25

Sassifying the org addiction

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:21 AM

baby powder!!! reduces all that chaffing. seriously I promise it'll help IF the friction is truly whats triggering the cysts.

Also, putting tumeric (indian spice easily found @ the local grocery store, looks and smells a lot like mustard seed...yellow and bitter) in your salad dressing or other such foods will help your body get rid of those cysts from the inside, out. It helped me in waysI cant even describe.

you can google it and see what I mean.
<3 summertime<3

#9 Madworld

Madworld

How the end always is.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:52 AM

It's probably not acne related, boil perhaps?
Did the tane.
Breaking out quite badly again.
Doing nothing. Just letting nature take its course.