Photo

Accepting questions for esthetician interview

blackhead blackheads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#41 -lxl-

-lxl-

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:33 PM

this is not pinned?

#42 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

QUOTE(-lxl- @ Jul 1 2007, 01:33 PM) View Post
this is not pinned?

We were asked to unpin it. I don't think many people pay attention to pinned threads (at least that was the general consensus!)

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#43 mikeishere

mikeishere

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2007 - 08:56 AM

thought id pop this up the page for the other users and to keep it active smile.gif

#44 brown-eyedgirl

brown-eyedgirl

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

I have a question for an esthetician....I started the Obagi Nuderm for acne and discoloration. It seems to have uncovered some enlarged pores, about 5-6, which before would be closed comedones and are now open and get plugged still. They look like blackheads but never get inflamed. Is the only thing I can do about them, extraction? Will the pores eventually shrink if I keep them clear?

Esthetician's reply to your questions
I am not familiar with Obagi Nuderm. From the research I’ve done on it, it looks like they are using phytic acid as their main active ingredient. Unfortunately, I have never used phytic acid so I cannot comment on that. It does sound like you have blackheads which you should get extracted. I believe, in some cases, enlarged pores (not on the nose) can become less visible if you keep them extracted.

My Regimen:
Morning
Wash: Cetaphil Daily Cleanser
Tone: Proactiv Toner
Moisturize: LRP Toleriane Fluide or Complex 15 lotion
Bedtime
Wash: Cetaphil cleanser
Tone: Proactiv Toner
Treat: Retin-a 0.1% w/Obagi Blender MWF
RX: Spiro 100 mg

#45 crazychica

crazychica

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:00 PM

Hi there, thanks for taking your time to help us. I was interested in using Eucerins Aquaphor healing ointment, in conjunction with Dans regimen. The main ingredient is Petrolatum and Mineral oil is also pretty high up on the list. I contacted Paula from Paulas choice and she said that she can say 100% for sure that Petrolatum and mineral oil are non-comedogenic. The molecules are too large to enter the pore is part of the response. Is this true? Are those 2 ingredients considered non-comedogenic?

Secondly, the other ingredients in that product are: Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol. Are these all non-comedogenic and safe to use?

My biggest question, overall would these me a safe and decent moisturizer to use on acne-prone skin. Also I have inflammed acne mostly. thank you again for helping us.

Q. Hi there, thanks for taking your time to help us. I was interested in using Eucerins Aquaphor healing ointment, in conjunction with Dans regimen. The main ingredient is Petrolatum and Mineral oil is also pretty high up on the list. I contacted Paula from Paulas choice and she said that she can say 100% for sure that Petrolatum and mineral oil are non-comedogenic. The molecules are too large to enter the pore is part of the response. Is this true? Are those 2 ingredients considered non-comedogenic?
A. Yes, mineral oil and petrolatum are perfectly fine to use on acne-prone skin. One of the biggest myths in skin care, as far as I’m concerned, is that mineral oil is bad for the skin.

Q. Secondly, the other ingredients in that product are: Ceresin, Lanolin Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycerin, Bisabolol. Are these all non-comedogenic and safe to use?
A. Yes, those look non-comedogenic to me.

Q. My biggest question, overall would these me a safe and decent moisturizer to use on acne-prone skin. Also I have inflammed acne mostly.
A. I think that those moisturizers would be ok. Double check them for pore-clogging ingredients http://www.facereali.....Skin Care.pdf
and do Dan Kerns Regimen if you have inflamed acne!

thank you again for helping us.
Your're very welcome.

#46 stealjohn

stealjohn

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

I started Dans regimen a couple of months ago. I wanted to know what you thought of his regimen? I like it because its simple. But is it a safe regimen? The regimen inclides Benzoyl Peroxide. What are your thoughts on BP. I know a lot of doctors recommend it, but is it truly safe and a good thing to be using on your face? I have nothing but big red pimples, that was my reason for starting his regimen. thank you for the time

Q. I started Dans regimen a couple of months ago. I wanted to know what you thought of his regimen?
A.I think that Dans regimen is great for inflamed acne.
Q. I like it because its simple. But is it a safe regimen?
A. Yes
Q. The regimen inclides Benzoyl Peroxide. What are your thoughts on BP. I know a lot of doctors recommend it, but is it truly safe and a good thing to be using on your face?
A. I am totally aligned with Dan in that we both see benzoyl peroxide as the best way to get and keep acne under control. I use it with all of my acne clients unless they are allergic to it. I have found it to be safe to use.
Q. I have nothing but big red pimples, that was my reason for starting his regimen. thank you for the time.
A. Dan Kerns regimen will probably work very well for you – just be very consistent with it and you will get clear.

#47 cheers2tommy

cheers2tommy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 July 2007 - 05:13 PM

Ive been reading that benzoyl peroxide ruins your skins ability to heal and also just ruins your skin period. Is this true?

Esthetician's reply to your question
That has not been my experience of bpo. My clients’ skin looks and feels very healthy to me and all of my acne clients use benzoyl peroxide. I find that their acne lesions heal much more quickly after being on benzoyl peroxide.

#48 WildFlower

WildFlower

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

What products do you recommend to speed up the fading of red marks?

Can anything be done to prevent a pimple leaving a red mark? Sometimes even if you don't touch it, it still leaves a red mark.

What do you think of Green Cream? Does it help with acne?

Thank you so much for all your help.

Q. What products do you recommend to speed up the fading of red marks?
A. Time is what will fade red marks. I do not know of a product that can speed that process up. Just make sure and use your acne medication every day so you don’t keep breaking out. The acne lesions will go away before the redness does. I tell my clients that the redness will fade in another couple of months, but it is very gradual.

Q. Can anything be done to prevent a pimple leaving a red mark? Sometimes even if you don't touch it, it still leaves a red mark.
A. I would ice it after cleansing at least two times a day – you can fill a Dixie cup with water, freeze it and use that to ice your acne lesions. Ice helps to bring down inflammation.

Q.What do you think of Green Cream? Does it help with acne?
A. I have not used Green Cream. We have chosen to use Vivant’s line of products for our Vitamin A line. It is formulated by Dr. James Fulton who is the co-inventor of Retin A and we get incredible results with it.

Thank you so much for all your help.
You are so welcome!

MY LOG

http://www.acne.org/...p;#entry1906744

My Regimen

Morning:
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash
Pure Deming Pure C Serum
Olay for Sensitive Skin SPF 15

Evening:
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash
Retin-A Micro .1%
Olay for Sensitive Skin (sometimes)

Makeup:
Clinique Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector
Clinique Even Better Foundation
Everyday Minerals Blush
Everyday Minerals finishing powder
Everyday Minerals concealer

Status: Clear of acne for 6+ months; now in the process of repairing scars

updated: 10/30/09

#49 hellonoobz

hellonoobz

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 July 2007 - 01:35 AM

I have a question. I have mild acne. Ive been on Dans regimen for awhile now. It works well. Everyone keeps telling me maybe you'll grow out of it. I know a lot of people do grow out if it, and some dont. Its all in how the cards fall. But if i keep worrying about now, doing different treatments and all that, will that lessen my chances of growing out of it? Hopefully this is making sense. Say at age 25 I am meant to grow out of, if i keep trying to treat it now, using different topicals and so forth, when 25 rolls around, will my acne be more stubborn since ive been bothering it and trying to get rid of it? Im wondering if i should just stop everything and let it run its course?

I dont want to have to do this regimen or any for the rest of my life. I envy guys who can get up shower and go, instead i have to take more time in the bathroom than my girlfriend trying to apply all these different topicals. Im worried that my skin is going to become dependant on all these drugs, and then in the long run i AM going to have to keep using them. your thoughts would be great. thanks

As long as you have acne you will have to use products to keep it under control. At some point you will grow out of it, but nobody knows when that is. I had acne until my forties! And, I have a client who still breaks out at 72 if she doesn't use her products religiously. You are not altering the course of your acne by using or not using products. You will just be breaking out without using the right products. The only thing that I know that will delay the onset of acne is when women take birth control pills. After they are off the pills they will get the acne they would've had while they were on them.

So, I know that acne is frustrating and it's not fair that some of us get it and others don't - it's just the luck of the gene pool my friend. It is an inherited skin disorder (unless drug or chemical induced). Just be glad that there are products that can control it for the time that you have it.

#50 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:44 PM

I'm closing this topic so Laura can get to these latest 20 questions. I emailed her today asking her to take a look.

#51 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:20 AM

Thanks to Laura for answering another 20 questions. She is OK with more questions, so I'm reopening the thread.

#52 winniegirl

winniegirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2007 - 04:48 PM

Do you recommend all your clients use a scrub or only non-inflamed acne should use a scrub ? I am currently using the Proactiv kit.

Is there anyway you call tell if your skin is "too exfoliated" or when you know you are over-doing it with products?

Thanks.
Winnie

Q. Do you recommend all your clients use a scrub or only non-inflamed acne should use a scrub ? I am currently using the Proactiv kit.
A. Only persons with noninflamed acne should use a scrub.

Q. Is there anyway you call tell if your skin is "too exfoliated" or when you know you are over-doing it with products?
B. When your skin is really dehydrated and peeling you are “too exfoliated”.

#53 LK2507

LK2507

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2007 - 09:54 PM

have you noticed if any patients have issues with closed comedones under where hair hangs down? Im having issues with small bumps (closed comedones I guess) on the right side of my face where my bangs lay. It doesnt always happen and Ive always had some kind of bangs but this summer they were longer and thicker. I dunno if maybe its from the humidity, or the traffic of my hand pushing it out of my face. I cut out my hair cream that I put on before I dry my hair and Im considering cutting them shorter and thin them out. If its not my bangs it would be weird that I/m only breaking out on that side right? Do you think its my hair?

(update july19) I recently went to the derm and he says It may not be acne it may be a yeast infaction of the skin called pityrosporum. Ever heard of this? He gave me a pill to take and said if it is indeed this it will clear up in 3 weeks. he said excess oil contributes to it and high humidity (and it has been WAY humid where I live)

Also, Ive heard so many different answers to this question. How long does it take for a lesion to form after something has caused it. For example if a comedogenic material got in your pores like from hair products or whatever else that agrivated it, how long would it take to show as acne? Ive heard anything from weeks to over a month.

Q. have you noticed if any patients have issues with closed comedones under where hair hangs down? Im having issues with small bumps (closed comedones I guess) on the right side of my face where my bangs lay. It doesnt always happen and Ive always had some kind of bangs but this summer they were longer and thicker. I dunno if maybe its from the humidity, or the traffic of my hand pushing it out of my face. I cut out my hair cream that I put on before I dry my hair and Im considering cutting them shorter and thin them out. If its not my bangs it would be weird that I/m only breaking out on that side right? Do you think its my hair?
A. A combination of you pushing your bangs out of the way constantly and the humidity could be the problem. When there is rubbing (like helmets, violin players on their neck) if you are prone to acne, you can get acne in the area being rubbed. Humidity can also make the pores swell which can contribute to acne.

Q. (update july19) I recently went to the derm and he says It may not be acne it may be a yeast infaction of the skin called pityrosporum. Ever heard of this? He gave me a pill to take and said if it is indeed this it will clear up in 3 weeks. he said excess oil contributes to it and high humidity (and it has been WAY humid where I live)
A. I have not heard or that, but I hope the medication clears it up for you.

Q. Also, Ive heard so many different answers to this question. How long does it take for a lesion to form after something has caused it. For example if a comedogenic material got in your pores like from hair products or whatever else that agrivated it, how long would it take to show as acne? Ive heard anything from weeks to over a month.
A. In Dr. Fulton’s book “Acne Rx”, he says it can take up to six months to see acne form from comedogenic ingredients. If you see a breakout right away from a product that is usually an allergic reaction.

Been off Accutane sinse June 05
On reg sinse Nov-25-05

due to minor breakout after tane, just want to stay clear ;)

-Mornings-
-wash with Neutrogena transparent facial bar (in shower)
-apply lots of BP (dry 5 min or more)
-apply Eucerin Skin Renewal spf 15

-Nights-
-wash with Cetaphil Gentle cleanser
-apply lots of BP

Every so often I use Alpha Hydroxy Enhanced lotion to get some exfoliation and renewal.

#54 strider1

strider1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

You said earlier that:

In about two weeks, my face broke out horribly(from eating kelp)

But you also said:

Q. How long does a closed comedone, or whitehead, take to form and come to the surface and then finally be pushed out of the skin?
A. It is my understanding that it takes 30 to 90 days for an acne lesion to form and come to the surface.

1. Which one is it?
2. Is Aloe Vera in any shape or form possibly comedogenic or can you breakout from it?

3. What is the best OTC cleanser you can recommend?

4. What is your opinion on manual exfoliation such as using a baby brush while cleansing?

5. Are supplements beneficial for clearing acne such as fish oil or zinc? Whats your opinion on them?

You said earlier that:

In about two weeks, my face broke out horribly(from eating kelp)

But you also said:

Q. How long does a closed comedone, or whitehead, take to form and come to the surface and then finally be pushed out of the skin?
A. It is my understanding that it takes 30 to 90 days for an acne lesion to form and come to the surface.

Q. Which one is it?

A. An iodide reaction is different from a regular acne lesion coming to the surface. “Iodides enter the bloodstream where the excess is excreted through the oil glands. As it is excreted, it irritates the pores and causes acne flare-ups. Iodide is especially irritating to the susceptible pores in acne-prone persons. Large enough amounts can induce acne in anyone. It’s so potent an acnegen that skin researchers will use a few drops of potassium iodide on the skin in order to create acne in just one week’s time on a test subject. The eruptions become inflammatory very quickly. Inpersons with existing acne, such eruptions occur much more rapidly and intensely than in non-acne-prone individuals when the flare-up joins already diseased skin.” This is from Dr. Fulton’s book, “Acne Rx”.

Q. Is Aloe Vera in any shape or form possibly comedogenic or can you breakout from it?
A. Not that I am aware of.

Q. What is the best OTC cleanser you can recommend?
A. Dan Kern’s cleanser is good

Q. What is your opinion on manual exfoliation such as using a baby brush while cleansing?
A. I would say that is probably a good way to exfoliate if you have non-inflamed acne and your skin isn’t getting to irritated from it.

Q. Are supplements beneficial for clearing acne such as fish oil or zinc? Whats your opinion on them?
A. Supplements can only be an adjunct to clearing acne - you really need a homecare regimen to really get you clear.

I’m not sure about fish oil – it seems to be fine as long as it’s not high in iodides.

According to the results of a number of clinical trials, zinc has been shown to be useful in treating acne. Some research has found zinc to be as effective as antibiotics in reducing inflamed acne. Research indicates that the form of zinc taken may be important. Studies have indicated that zinc monomethionine is more easily used by the body than either zinc sulfate or zinc gluconate. it is usually best to take zinc with food. Recommended dosage for supplements vary (50-100 mg) - but some research suggests that it is probably best to take no more than 100 mg per day as a dietary supplement (excessive zinc intake may lead to deficiencies in other vitamins and minerals. It is best to take this with food and not on an empty stomach.

Regimen- officially starting July 1st

Morning
nothing

Evening

Wash face with Aqua Glycolic Cleanser
Apply Complex 15

#55 j-boy

j-boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

..what do you usually recommend for PIH? my skin tone is dark. are you familiar with cosmelan depigmentation treatment? ive done some reading on it and it looks like it works.. and its safe for all skin types.. any views on this? thank you.

A. I have not heard of cosmelan depigmentation treatment.
What I do for PIH are chemical peels and for home care I give people a glycolic/lactic serum to begin with. Sometimes that is enough to lift the PIH. If they need something more, I usually give them a serum that contains hydroquinone.

?..when..?

#56 ~ Dee

~ Dee

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 July 2007 - 11:26 PM

Do you know of, take yourself, or recommend, any internal supplements for keeping skin healthy?
Anything for helping collagen production, or to help with healing?

Thanks very much for your time. cool.gif

A. We recommend zinc monometheonine to our clients. See post #54 for the full explanation.

Q. Anything for helping collagen production, or to help with healing?
A. We use Vivant's Vitamin A Proprionate serums and peptide serums for collagen production and promoting healing.

... for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace. - H.P. Lovecraft
"You people are a bunch of fickle mushheads!" -Mayor Quimby

#57 blarhggggr

blarhggggr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:04 AM

I have a bit of non-inflamed acne (blackheads, only, actually), but it's not severe and only in my T-zone. I'd like to try a BHA gel (from Paula's Choice) - but there were lots of replies on the board saying that there would be a purging stage where you would break out like crazy, but it'd calm down and your skin would be blackhead free. My blackheads are tolerable and I don't break out often, almost never, so I'm not sure if this would be the best solution to my acne, what do you think about BHA's?
Also, should I buy the toner, mask and cleanser as well?

Thanks!
A. It has not been my experience that salicylic does very much for blackheads. And, I’ve never had salicylic exhibit a purging stage in my clients. If you have noninflamed acne and your skin is not that sensitive I would get a scrub for a cleanser and a toner with glycolic in it and/or use a glycolic serum. I wouldn’t bother with a mask.

#58 crazygamar

crazygamar

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:45 AM

Hi there. I have moderate acne. Mostly inflammatory but some non also. I started a regimen which consisted of cleansing, BHA, BP and then moisturizing. It was working pretty well, I ended up stopping it though. After that I tried Dans regimen with only BP. In my personal experience I dont care for BP too much. Thats not saying I wont use it but Id prefer not to. I was looking more towards cleansing, BHA and moisturizing. How well will BHA 2% salicylic acid work on inflamed acne? To me, the main cause of acne is clogged pores. Whether from what you eat, who your related to, how oily your face is, etc. Regardless of all this, the main reason for acne is still clogged pores. No matter how oily your face is, and how much your skin sheds, if your pores dont clog, you wont get acne. So to me it would make sense to try and unclog my pores using a product. Whether i have inflamed acne or not. Inflamed acne is basically bacteria built up from what i understand. But again, this bacteria builds up do to a clogged pore. If you unclog the pore, the bacteria has no reason to build up. This makes complete sense to me, does it makes sense to you and is it logical or am I thinking wrong? thank you so much for your help.

A. I think you are right on about the clogged pores. There are layers of skin cells inside the pore and if you have the inherited propensity for acne, you will shed many more layers inside the pore than normal. Hence, clogged pores.
Now, the reason benzoyl peroxide works so well is that it peels inside the pore and helps to keep the dead skin cells from sticking together and clogging the pores. It really is the best product you can use to keep clear. I do not think that salicylic acid is enough to keep you clear. You might be able to get and stay clear on Vivant's vitamin a proprionate serums without the use of benzoyl peroxide (stress on the word might).

#59 Darrel

Darrel

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 July 2007 - 04:14 PM

Hello and again and thank you for trying to answer my last few questions. I have a few more:

1. What do you think of the ACV regiment?

2. What do you think of the baby brush regiment?

3. I was also wondering if you think it would be safe to use this product:
http://www.alibaba.c...apaya_Soap.html
Its papaya soap that i will use to lighten my body, I can't find the ingredients but the box says it contains "ABSOLUTELY NO ANIMAL FAT"

Q. What do you think of the ACV regiment?
A. I'm don't know what that is.

Q. What do you think of the baby brush regiment?
A. I'm not really sure what that is, but if you are using a baby brush to exfoliate your skin, it is fine if you have mostly non-inflamed acne and are not irritating your skin.

Q. I was also wondering if you think it would be safe to use this product:
http://www.alibaba.c...apaya_Soap.html
Its papaya soap that i will use to lighten my body, I can't find the ingredients but the box says it contains "ABSOLUTELY NO ANIMAL FAT"
A. I don't really know.

#60 i_ming

i_ming

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 July 2007 - 05:22 AM

Hi There,

First of all I want to thank you, and the mods of acne.org, for taking your time and answering our questions. i've read through most of the thread and found the information to be very helpful.

I started using Dan's BP Gel about 4 months ago and I have had good results of preventing new pimples from occuring. Right now i can use it as little as once every other day and still have no active acne. However, i am left with a lot of hyperpigmentation (both red and brown) that seem never to go away (the brown ones especially). I have one that is at least a year old from a cysts last fall. I don't get many pimples (with or without BP) but the ones that i do get are usually moderate to severe and always leave a mark.

I've done some research and decided start this new regimen: a weekly Glycolic Acid peel (30%), Hydroquinone 2% daily, and also Dan's BP every other day. Do you think that this is a good combination of treatments to help keep my acne under control and to diminish the hyperpigmentation at the same time? Is it safe to use these products together? Also, i'm looking into Kojic Acid as another option for my hyperpigmentation in case the peels and hydroquione do not work. What do you think will work best?

edit: it turns out that i am having a bad reaction to the hydroquinone products i purchased from paula's choice. both the lotion (hydroquione + glycolic acid) and the gel (hydroquione + salacylic acid) caused my face to turn red, and that lasted a few days. So it looks like my regimen will just be benzoyl peroxide about once every other day, and a glycolic acid 30% peel once a week. Please give me your advice, thanks!

Lastly, Is there anything i can do about facial redness?

Thank you very much.

Esthtetician's reply to your questions
A. There is definitely a percentage of the population that will have a reaction to hydroquinone. You might consider using a lactic or mandelic acid product – they are great exfoliants and it also can help lift hyperpigmentation.

If the facial redness is post-inflammatory redness from acne, then it will just have to go away on its own. If it is redness from rosacea, then you should see a dermatologist for that to get it diagnosed and treated.

btw - I see you are using a cleanser with kelp. I would NEVER use anything that contained kelp. Kelp contains ridiculously high amounts of iodides which can cause acne on anyone.