Photo

Accepting questions for esthetician interview

blackhead blackheads

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
82 replies to this topic

#1 Dan

Dan

Administrator

• Admin
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Achievements

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

There is an esthetician in the San Francisco Bay Area who has a very high success rate with patients who come in for acne. She and her staff are passionate in this area. In particular, I'm hoping she'll fill in where I leave off when it comes to non-inflammatory acne (the stuff that stays under the skin and doesn't get red). Please post your questions for her by replying to this thread and I will ask her your questions in our interview. Questions on blackheads are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Dan

#2 -lxl-

-lxl-

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:55 PM

what do you recommend for emergency case of whiteheads and papules?

Esthetician's reply to your question
There is no quick way to get acne under control - in my practice, it takes about 6 to 12 weeks to see significant clearing of the skin.
However, if you have an "undergrounder" that you can feel, I would recommend putting ice on it right away for a few minutes a couple of times a day. Then, I would put Dan Kern's benzoyl peroxide on it as a spot treatment right afterwards. That can sometimes make it go away completely, but you have to catch it early enough.

#3 Yoshimi

Yoshimi

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

hi dan,

i have mild comedones (whiteheads and pink/light red bumps) as a result of excessive sun exposure. can you please ask her what kind of treatment she'd suggest for comedones induced by excessive sun exposure? i also have really oily skin due to excessive sun exposure. is this reversible, since my oiliness is not caused by hormones? also, what would she do to prevent scarring on sun-damaged skin? if you can ask her these questions, i will be forever grateful. thanks!

It's hard to tell without seeing your skin whether your acne is caused by sun exposure or if you just have the regular inherited acne. In either case, I would probably do chemical peels to deal with both your sun damage and your acne. Your homecare would consist of exfoliating serums like glycolic/lactic combos and definitely vitamin A proprionate serums from Vivant. Exfoliating and hydrating your skin with treatments and home care would help to balance your skin and not make it so oily. I think it's never too late to make your skin as healthy as possible.

#4 mollyWHITE

mollyWHITE

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

how do you know if an aha products too strong for you or using it too often?

Your skin will definitely react to an AHA product that is too strong by becoming dehydrated and/or irritated. Your skin will probably have some peeling as well.

#5 lovepinkkx17

lovepinkkx17

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 2
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:47 PM

is Apple Cide Vinegar bad for your skin?
some people say it excellent and then i read an article that says its an irritant.

&is it ok to just do nothing to your skin except rinse it with warm water, and then to splash cold water to close the pores? in other words, is it ok to not use any treatments at all?

I have read a lot of articles about apple cider vinegar extolling its benefits for many different ailments including acne. I have also read that it has antibacterial properties but that it is weak in comparison to other anti-bacterials for skin care. I don't have any direct experience with apple cidar vinegar because, I, for one, cannot stand the smell of it; and I have found a system of skin care that works for non-inflamed acne that does not include it. Is it working for you? If it is and you are not irritated by it, I would say that it is probably safe to use; but I don't really know for sure. If it isn't working to keep your acne managed, I would recommend trying another system of acne management.

#6 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 04:59 PM

1. Do you enjoy your work?
  2. How much and what type of training did it take for you to become an aesthetician?
  3. How long have you been an aesthetician?
  4. Does your clinic take interns via internet? tongue.gif

Q. Do you enjoy your work?
A. I feel like the luckiest person in the world - I have the most rewarding job anyone can have - watching peoples' lives transform as their skin gets clear. Yes, I love my work.
Q. How much and what type of training did it take for you to become an aesthetician?
A. In California, the state requirements are 600 hours at a credentialed beauty college and then passing a state examination to get a license to practice. To specialize in the area of acne has taken years of classes, research and consulting with acne experts like Dr. Fulton. And nothing takes the place of experience in treating hundreds of acne sufferers.
Q. How long have you been an aesthetician?
A.I have been an aesthetician since 1990.
Q. Does your clinic take interns via internet?
A. No, not yet. I am putting together a training for aestheticians that I will be offering next fall, but haven't got any future plans for internet study courses.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

#7 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

Please recommend me a moisturizer for sensitive skin that will not break me out and does not have even one comedogenic ingredient. Every single moisturizer Ive tried breaks me out in cysts and pustules

I believe that Dan Kern is coming out with a moisturizer soon that sounded great to me. We carry a wonderful moisturizer that we give to all of our acne clients that will not clog pores. Are you using any anti-bacterial products like benzoyl peroxide to keep your cysts and pustules under control?
We have a list of pore-clogging ingredients on our website - it is good to print that out and check ingredient decks of products against this list. Even if a product says "non-pore clogging" on the label, don't believe it - check it out yourself We have found many products to claim non-comedogenicity and they were full of pore-clogging ingredients.

QUOTE(Dan @ Jun 1 2007, 04:47 PM) View Post
There is an esthetician in the San Francisco Bay Area who has a very high success rate with patients who come in for acne. She and her staff are passionate in this area. In particular, I'm hoping she'll fill in where I leave off when it comes to non-inflammatory acne (the stuff that stays under the skin and doesn't get red). Please post your questions for her by replying to this thread and I will ask her your questions in our interview. Questions on blackheads are welcome as well.

Thanks!

Dan

Whose the esthetician Dan? I might know of her since I live near SF biggrin.gif
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply Estee Lauder Future Perfect Eye Cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#8 rylan

rylan

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:02 PM

hello. here are my questions:

1. i only suffer from closed comedones, rarely do i get inflammatory acne, yet my skin is not oily, i exfoliate everyday, what can be causing my clogged pores?

2. how beneficial are chemical peels for closed comedones? what kind of peels do you recommend? have you had any experience with the vitalize peel by skin medica?

3. can glycolic acid be helpful for closed comedones? salicylic acid treatments never work for me, it seems that the acid brings everything up to the surface but it never, never goes away.. it just sits there while more comes up. i also get more irritated from salicylic than glycolic.

i have tons and tons of clogged pores around the creases of my nose and around my mouth that have never gone away, they keep coming back. what can you recommend for me and thanks so much for answering my questions. ps. where's your office? smile.gif

Q. I only suffer from closed comedones, rarely do I get inflammatory acne, yet my skin is not oily, I exfoliate everyday, what can be causing my clogged pores?
A. Clogged pores are caused by an inherited condition called retention hyperkeratosis. You have inherited pores that shed dead skin cells inside the pore at a much faster rate (four to five times faster) than in normal pores. These dead skin cells stick together and stay inside the pore creating the "plug" known as comedomes, congestion, blackheads and whiteheads (closed comedomes). Why some people suffer from inflammatory acne and others from non-inflammatory acne is not known - it is just how your skin responds to the problem of too many dead skin cells stuck inside the pore.
Q. How beneficial are chemical peels for closed comedomes?
A. I feel that chemical peels are very good for closed comedomes. Acid-based peels have the ability to exfoliate the dead skin cells from the surface of the skin. The faster the cells are exfoliated on the surface, the faster the cells reproduce in the underlying dermis. These new cells do not stick together, so they do not produce the same "retention hyperkeratosis" that the old skin cells that caused the acne did. Also, with less dead skin cells on the surface, home care products such as benzoyl peroxide have a much better chance of absorption.
Q. What kind of peels do you recommend?
A. I like lactic, citric, salicylic and TCA-based peels in a blend. I have been using blends from PCA Skin Care and Vivant Skin Care. These should only be administered by a professional - you can seriously burn your skin if you don't know what you're doing.
Q. Have you had any experience with the Vitalize Peel by Skin Medica?
A. No, I haven't.
Q. Can glycolic acid be helpful for closed comedones?
A. Absolutely. I recommend it for homecare for my non-inflamed acne clients in almost all cases.
Q. Salicylic acid treatments never work for me, it seems that the acid brings everything up to the surface but it never, never goes away. It just sits there while more comes up. I also get more irritated from salicylic than glycolic.
A. Yes, I would have to agree with you - that has also been my experience with salicylic-based peels. I will use salicylic in a blend of other peel agents in a peel solution, but I don't use it by itself anymore. It is just too irritating and does not produce the result I am looking for.
Q. I have tons and tons of clogged pores around the creases of my nose and around my mouth that have never gone away, they keep coming back.
A. The pores that are in the nose are often mistaken for acne. They actually are not acne, they are called "sebaceous filaments". They will be there until the day you die - they are not acne and even if you extracted all of them, your nose wouldn't look any different and they would fill right back up again. In other words, they are supposed to be there.
Now, if there are bigger congested pores in the nose and around the mouth, then you have acne. You then need strong exfoliants like glycolic acid, vitamin A proprionate and also benzoyl peroxide that will peel the inside of the pore.
Q. What can you recommend for me and thanks so much for answering my questions.
A. Dan is going to post an article written by me that will address non-inflamed acne. I would follow that regimen.
Q. Where's your office?
A. We are located in San Leandro, CA (across the bay from San Francisco, CA). We do treat people long-distance that are too far away to come to our clinic.

"if it's bitter at the start, then it's sweeter in the end."

#9 elfgirl

elfgirl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

I really want to know if I have food allergies to just a few things, such as nuts, ham, sausage and sunflower seeds and sunflower oil and also milk. IT seems if I consume any of these things, even a tiny amount I break out on my neck so bad it looks like I have chicken pox there and its only on my neck. My dr. didn't know the answer to that one so maybe you could. Thanks, Elf

Since I am not a medical doctor, I do not know much about food allergies. What I tell my clients is to watch out for foods that are high in iodides and in androgen hormones. These are salty foods, seafood, seaweed (especially kelp), milk and dairy products, organ meats, etc. You can see a list of these food on my website (facerealityskincare.com). You especially have to watch out for peanuts, peanut butter and peanut oil.

#10 murfirhea

murfirhea

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:09 PM

[quote name='Dan' date='Jun 1 2007, 05:47 PM' post='1886497']

Thanks!

Dan
[

I think it's nice that you are getting the opinion of an esthetician for the everyone. Just to let ya know there are two or three estheticians already members of the org. Even a few nurses as well. I'm sure we'd be more than happy to help anyone as well. You might get a quicker response to answers this way.
Olay Sensitive Foaming Face Wash- am/pm
Lustra Ultra- am/pm
Stieva A .025%- pm
Eucerin Daily Protective Lotion Spf30

#11 dmpa2565

dmpa2565

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

1) Will all redmarks eventually fade? How about hyperpigmentation? How long does even the most stubborn redmarks and hyperpigments take to fade?

2) Since oily skin is an internal problem, what is the best INTERNAL treatment to control oily skin?

3) What are the chances of mild acne leave lifetime scars?

4) When skin purging occurs while using a BHA, is it better to leave the whiteheads alone or pop them?

Esthetician's reply to your questions
Q. Will all red marks eventually fade?
A. I tell my clients that the acne will go away before the redness will fade. Once the acne is under control, it takes two to three months for the redness to fade. That's another reason not to squeeze your own acne lesions - if you break the skin (which most people do) it will form a scab which will stay red way longer than if you let a professional extract your acne lesions for you.
Q. How about hyperpigmentation?
A. I will usually give my acne clients a combination of glycolic and lactic acid to help exfoliate and fade the dark spots. Lactic is good for fading dark spots. If they need something stronger, I will add in a solution that includes hydroquinone and/or kojic acid.
Q. How long does even the most stubborn redmarks and hyperpigments take to fade?
A. The red marks will fade in a couple of months. Hyperpigmentation, if caused by acne, usually lifts pretty quickly with the right home care and especially supplemented by chemical peels. If the hyperpigmentation is caused by sun damage, it may take a long time to lift even with very aggressive treatments and home care.
Q. Since oily skin is an internal problem, what is the best INTERNAL treatment to control oily skin?
A. Oily skin is not just an internal problem - you are born with the size of oil glands you have and that won't change. The larger the oil glands, the more oil you produce. There are definitely excaberbating factors with oily skin - mostly hormonesI have found that hydrating the skin with water-based moisturizers that include hyaluronic acid and humectants like glycerin can be very helpful in balancing out oily skin so it doesn't seem so oily.
Q. What are the chances of mild acne leaving lifetime scars?
A. I don't know the answer to this question but probably much less likely than cystic acne and if you don't pick and squeeze your acne lesions. A medical doctor would probably have an answer for you.
Q. When skin purging occurs while using a BHA, is it better to leave the whiteheads alone or pop them?
A. It is always better to let a professional extract your acne lesions for you. It is always better to leave acne lesions alone so 1) you don't spread acne bacteria and 2) you don't scar yourself.

#12 Lorrie

Lorrie

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:02 PM

Dan, you just keep amazing me with your dedication to us!

At this point, the DKR has done wonders for my inflamed acne. My biggest problem now is the monthly breakouts during my cycle and lots of comedones. I have the comedones all the time but then during my cycle they become infected and inflamed. Its just along my jawline that this happens. The rest of my skin is clear. I have been using Paulas Choice BHA lotion for over 2 months along with the DKR. My question is, " What can I do to either get rid of the comedones or prevent them from becoming infected and inflamed during my cycle?" If I can find the answer to this my 25 yrs of suffering from acne will finally come to an end!

I always tell women to do a "pre-emptive strike" before their cycles. If you track your cycle and you know approximately when you start breaking out before it, you can use your acne products more often (if using once, then up it to twice) or you can use a bit stronger product for a few days. Then, once you are out of the "danger zone" then go back to your old regimen.

Morning
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash
Full fat finger of 2.5% BP

Evening
Purpose Cleanser
Jessfoliation
Paula's Choice 2% BHA Lotion (3-26-07)
Full fat finger of 2.5% BP all over but heaviest along jawline (switched to Dans BP 4-16-07)
Generic Cetaphil Moisturizer(heavy layer)

#13 willow569

willow569

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE(Guacamolly @ Jun 1 2007, 04:01 PM) View Post
Please recommend me a moisturizer for sensitive skin that will not break me out and does not have even one comedogenic ingredient. Every single moisturizer Ive tried breaks me out in cysts and pustules

Thanks!

Dan

I believe this is my esthetician.... biggrin.gif

A.M.

-Face Reality Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel
-Finacea
-MD Formulations AOX Hydrating Gel and/or MD Formulations AOX Lotion (on drier areas)
-Mix a few drops of Niacinamide Gel with Face Reality's SPF 30 for Acne Prone Skin

P.M.

-Face Reality Silica scrub
-Derm A Gel 2 out of 3 nights, PTR Unwrinkle Peel Pads every 3rd night
-Mix Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion with Metazine Niacinamide Gel
-Face Reality's 2.8% BPO (chin only).

*Spot treat any inflamed lesions with Aczone
*Spot treat clogged pores with 8% mandelic

*Diet: Vitamin C and zinc supplements, avoid dairy, avoid iodine, mimimize sugar and salt, avoid peanuts

I also get facials at Face Reality Acne and Skin Care Clinic every 4-6 wks.

My lengthy log:
http://www.acne.org/...p...1620&st=460

#14 acne_battle

acne_battle

this is Ollie, my parents cat which I took a pic of on my b day

• Banned
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 38
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE(willow569 @ Jun 2 2007, 12:09 AM) View Post
QUOTE(Guacamolly @ Jun 1 2007, 04:01 PM) View Post

Thanks!

Dan

I believe this is my esthetician.... biggrin.gif

Oh yes of course lol.gif
My regimen changed (starting 5/16/09) and I am not a happy camper

AM regimen
Wash face and chest with Kaiser 5% bp wash
Moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Apply make up, blush, finishing powder, MAC moisture cover to dark underyeye circles
Pop a doxycycline

PM regimen
Remove make up with desert esscence jojoba oil using cotton balls
starting evening of May 28, 2009, I wash my face with Face Reality Skincare Sensitive Skin Gel Cleanser at night time only
Apply Differin to face and chest
Wait to dry and moisturize with face reality skincare cranberry cream
Pop a doxycycline

Foundation- MAC Studio Tech Foundation in NC20 or MAC Studio Sculpt Foundation in NW15, apply a MAC blush, apply MAC prep and prime finishing powder

Anyone who has a problem zit thats having a hard time healing, try this and let me know if it helped you. Mix one tablespoon of sea salt with three tablespoons of warm water, apply to a cotton ball or a paper towel. Apply to the zit for ten to fifteen minutes, and then wash it off.

#15 Kalia

Kalia

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

1. What is a good regimen for some one very prone to comedonal acne?(Product wise, things found in a local CVS, Walgreens, Walmart)

2.How long does a closed comedone, or whitehead, take to form and come to the surface and then finally be pushed out of the skin?

3.Do AHA moisturizers, such as lac-hydrin 5, help at all with closed comedones, or is it bad for me to use it?

4.What prescription medication is best for closed comedones?

Also Dan if you don't mind and aren't overwhelmed with all the questions that people ask will you ask him/her one question off topic for me?

-I have shallow and small scars on my face, there aren't many, would daily exfoliation help decrease the appearance of these?

Q. What is a good regimen for some one very prone to comedonal acne?(Product wise, things found in a local CVS, Walgreens, Walmart)
A. This is a tough question to answer because non-inflamed acne is tough enough to clear up with professional products. One thing you can get from a local store would be a scrub. If your skin is not sensitive, then I would use a scrub twice a day. I don't know the brand names of products since I don't use them, but you can try finding a 10% aha (preferably glycolic) serum and a 10% benzoyl peroxide gel. See my article about What To do For Those Frustrating Blackheads on acne.org for a good way to use those products. Go to our website (www.facerealityskincare.com) and check the ingredient deck for pore-clogging ingredients because there are some benzoyl peroxide gels that contain laureth-4 and/or isopropyl myristate that will clog pores. Also know that not all benzoyl peroxide gels are alike - it is a good idea to buy a professional brand to get the most efficacy.

Q. How long does a closed comedone, or whitehead, take to form and come to the surface and then finally be pushed out of the skin?
A. It is my understanding that it takes 30 to 90 days for an acne lesion to form and come to the surface.

Q. Do AHA moisturizers, such as lac-hydrin 5, help at all with closed comedones, or is it bad for me to use it?
A. I would say that it probably doesn't hurt you to use it, but I doubt that it will get you clear or keep you clear unless your acne is very mild. It takes much stronger products, in my opinion, to deal with closed comedomes.

Q. What prescription medication is best for closed comedones?
A. Since I am not a medical doctor I don't know the answer to this one. We use non-prescription products in our clinic.

Q. I have shallow and small scars on my face, there aren't many, would daily exfoliation help decrease the appearance of these?
A. I'm not sure that exfoliation would do anything for scarring. Scarring occurs at the dermal level (below the epidermis) and has to be dealt with there and not at the epidermis. Again, this is a medical doctor's arena.

#16 summersun

summersun

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:34 AM

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good hair product that won't affect my skin. I've always shaved my hair since I was 16 and I'm 23 now and I'm enjoying the length of my hair but I put regular paul mitchell hair gel in my hair. I wash my face with water a few times a day because the gel seems to slide down my face but by the end of the day I notice a few irritated pores have started. I wash my face with obagi nuderm face wash every night and morning so my skin looks great when i wake up and for the first few hours of the day but as soon as noon hits the gel makes my skin extrewmely greasy. I'm sure there are some hair products I could use that aren't oily but I've had no luck jumping from one to the other. Any advice would be great. -J

I regret that because I focus on skin care that I am not that familiar with hair products - you might want to check out the ingredient deck for pore-clogging ingredients (we have a list on our website - www.facerealityskincare.com.

#17 j-boy

j-boy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:51 AM

an esthetician's approach to acne is different w/ that of a medical doctor although sometimes it comes hand in hand because some med clinics have doctors and esthetician working together.. anyways here's my question:
..do you accept patients w severe cases of acne or tell them that you cant help them and they would have better chances w/ a medical doctor?
..do you guys have a limit or certain extent in your practices?
..if so,what are these limits?

Q. An esthetician's approach to acne is different w/ that of a medical doctor although sometimes it comes hand in hand because some med clinics have doctors and esthetician working together . anyways here's my question: Do you accept patients w severe cases of acne or tell them that you can't help them and they would have better chances w/ a medical doctor?
A. So far I have not had a case severe enough to send to a doctor. I certainly would not hesitate to refer someone out if I felt that I could not help them. Inflamed acne actually looks worse than non-inflamed acne, but is usually much easier to treat.

Q. Do you guys have a limit or certain extent in your practices? ..if so,what are these limits?
A. Yes, we cannot write prescriptions or diagnose skin diseases/disorders. I will send someone to a doctor if I don't recognize their condition.

?..when..?

#18 modman

modman

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2007 - 01:42 AM

What treatments would you recommend for redness and flushing?

If you have a lot of redness and flushing you may have acne rosacea. I would recommend going to a dermatologist to have it diagnosed. They can give you prescriptions that can help with that condition.

#19 CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:55 AM

1. How effective are essential oils like jojoba, tea tree and manuka in treating acne?
2. I know BP is great for acne, but since I'm allergic to BP, what medications would you recommend?
Thanks!!

Q. How effective are essential oils like jojoba, tea tree and manuka in treating acne?
A. I have not found them to be effective.

Q. I know BP is great for acne, but since I'm allergic to BP, what medications would you recommend?
A. If you are truly allergic to benzoyl peroxide you have a couple of options. You can use Vivant's vitamin A proprionate products called Derm A Gel, Exfol A, or Exfol A Forte (I would start with Derm A Gel). We also carry a hydrogen peroxide emulsion that can send oxygen down into the pores to help fight acne bacteria.

#20 Martin84

Martin84

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 June 2007 - 10:11 AM

when having used to much of a topical, skin can flare up with red spots and irritation. are there some recommendations on how to repair your skin before using the topical again? I ask this because I think irritation may be something that sustains my acne....on the other hand, completely stopping with medication is also not acceptable.

It sounds like you might be using too much acne product too soon. Either lower the percentages of what you are using; or if you are using an aha or bha serum to use it every other day for a while. If someone is really irritated, I tell them to take a break for a couple of days and just cleanse, tone and moisturize. Then start with the acne products a little more slowly to allow your skin to adapt. If you get irritated just in certain areas of the face like the smile lines, avoid that area and/or put some petroleum jelly on it before you put your acne medications on.