88 replies to this topic

#61 pea*nut*butter

pea*nut*butter

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (PrznKing @ Oct 12 2008, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
just shave right over it. Good exfoliation.
True that. Old school.

#62 souvenir

souvenir

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 14
About Me

Posted 01 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

What works for me is shaving before I wash my face in the mornings. I use a Braun foil shaver and have found this to be way less irritating than the rotary style of shaver. I also use Old Spice Pre Electric Shave Lotion on my neck only. I shave against the grain using one pass only on my face and two passes on my neck.

Works good for me!

#63 DPRE

DPRE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:04 PM

Well,

Thing is if I shave WITH* the Grain, most of my beard hair does not get removed.

How can I actually remove them?

#64 Christof

Christof

More Christof than you can handle

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:Football, reading, University, nights out, meeting new people, learning, TV and film, travelling, seeing new places

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:13 PM

I have that problem too. The only way I can get completely smooth is if I shave against the grain which, as we know, is bad for your skin. I have to leave a fine stubble which is barely visible so ok when I need to be clean shaven (interviews etc.) but still not ideal really.

#65 DPRE

DPRE

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Yeah I do the same thing! I HAVE* to shave against the grain to remove everything. Its a bit annoying, but my hairs are just stubborn.

#66 idefeatedacne

idefeatedacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hi everyone! Stumbled across this thread and thought you might benefit from the tips on this page,
Some tips on there are really useful and will help you if you suffer from a lot of red marks or blemishes when you shave. check it out. Happy shaving lol

Also, another thing i see a lot on this thread is the question to shave against or with the grain. Make sure you shave with the grain otherwise your skin is much more susceptible to ingrown hairs or red marks. (When my facial hair gets to long i use small scissors first just to trim the hairs making sure i dont touch my skin with the scissors. After trimming it is much easier to get a close shave while going 'with the grain')

#67 idefeatedacne

idefeatedacne

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:36 AM

Link above didn't get added :S guess I'm not good with all this posting stuff haha.

www.hubpages.com/hub/Theperfectshave

Edited by idefeatedacne, 22 December 2010 - 11:41 AM.

#68 Sun-ah-san

Sun-ah-san

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:42 AM

guys i have a serious question. i have been using disposal gillette razors to shave. I have mild acne but the only acne i get is pretty much confined to where i shave. why do i keep getting infections near my mouth area when I am using a disposal razor? I do not use aftershave or any type of anti bacterial product afterwards, could you guys recommend some? thanks!

#69 Guest_davidtheskinking_*

Guest_davidtheskinking_*
  • Guests
  • Posts & Likes

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

I actually use natural soap, olive or coconut oil to shave... it's natural and won't cause more acne!

Just a tip to keep in mind and try out smile.gif

#70 vladereign

vladereign

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

I shaved every week..with razor blade... and adiddas after shave

#71 MikeX10A

MikeX10A

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Double-edged razor is the best move anyone can make when shaving. Just adapt it to your current regimen. Can't do everything they say since acne is a problem, so use common sense.

http://artofmanlines...e-your-grandpa/

#72 jerr

jerr

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 15
About Me

Posted 31 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

I have a question: wouldn't shaving with whiteheads cut them off and produce scarring? I use an electronic shaver to prevent this.

#73 WalkTall

WalkTall

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

If you're going to wet shave then you should really get yourself a shaving brush...

The greatest benefit from shave brush use is the tendency to soften and lift facial hair before a shave.
Applying shaving cream by hand mats hair or raises it unevenly. Shave brush use, however,
requires agitation of the soap or cream in a mug to form a lather suitable for a shave.

I brought one a few months ago and it's great. Give it a go.

#74 allrighty

allrighty

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:26 PM

I use a beard trimmer, its been the best thing to use... and I stay clear of razors now. I had so much skin irritation using them. And I tried alot.

#75 James9

James9

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

can someone fill me in about the grain? what is it? I usually shave up on the neck and down on the face... I get ingrown hairs on my neck though... should I start shaving down on the neck as well?

#76 journey20

journey20

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:47 PM

Personally, I find that wet shaving produces the closest and most comfortable shave. After spending much time doing research and quite a bit of trial and error, I found that following the tips generally advocated by wet shavers (using a double-edged safety razor, exfoliating, pre-shave, shave brush, shaving CREAM that does not come from a can, first and second pass with the grain, final pass gently across the grain) followed by my normal acne routine (cleanser, spot treatment, sunscreen) works best for ME. Yes, it is quite a bit but this is what I've found effective. I shave before taking a shower and then use the normal acne routine in the shower proceeding as usual. Still, everyone has different circumstances so this is just what has been effective for me.

@James9, with the grain is going along with whatever your natural hair growth is, for most people it's downward but it can vary according to the person and even in different areas of your beard. Simply a suggestion, run your hand against, across, and down your beard, whatever provides the most resistance is generally against the grain, the opposite of course being with the grain.

#77 remyhelps123

remyhelps123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

Trimming is what I've done for the past 6 months or so and I've never looked back. :)

I charge the trimmer for an hour. Then use it on my face going with the grain and am careful to not go over spots multiple times or with too much pressure. Then I hop into the shower to wash off the shaved hair that might be stuck to my face and chest. Then I get out of the shower and apply an ingrown hair serum that helps the facial hair grow out evenly so it won't try and curl back and under the skin. Trimming has definitely been the answer to my ingrown hair dilemma.

No cream. No gels. No need to purchase a new trimmer until this one dies or the blade gets too dull. This was a $15 trimmer so it wasn't too expensive. ;)
Plus it gives me that stubble look like others here have mentioned.. Girls like a bit of stubble. Just look at all the male models and celebrity dudes out there that girls swoon over! So many of those guys have stubble constantly because they know that it's awesome and manly. Or they're lazy. :P

#78 dieacnedie!

dieacnedie!

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:video games,movies,reading

Achievements

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

Trimming is what I've done for the past 6 months or so and I've never looked back. Posted Image

I charge the trimmer for an hour. Then use it on my face going with the grain and am careful to not go over spots multiple times or with too much pressure. Then I hop into the shower to wash off the shaved hair that might be stuck to my face and chest. Then I get out of the shower and apply an ingrown hair serum that helps the facial hair grow out evenly so it won't try and curl back and under the skin. Trimming has definitely been the answer to my ingrown hair dilemma.

No cream. No gels. No need to purchase a new trimmer until this one dies or the blade gets too dull. This was a $15 trimmer so it wasn't too expensive. Posted Image
Plus it gives me that stubble look like others here have mentioned.. Girls like a bit of stubble. Just look at all the male models and celebrity dudes out there that girls swoon over! So many of those guys have stubble constantly because they know that it's awesome and manly. Or they're lazy. Posted Image

What "ingrown hair serum" do you use?

#79 remyhelps123

remyhelps123

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:29 PM

I don't know if the moderators will hate on me for posting a product name.. but it's: PrinceReigns Ingrown Hair Serum.
It's got Glycolic Acid in it that I was worried might mess with my skin more than help it.. But it really does help keep my hairs from curling up under the skin.
At first I didn't think it worked so I never used it, but after I tried tweezing my ENTIRE beard I kind of was forced to try some kind of insurance policy for the regrowth of all my hair ahaha. I did all that crazy tweezing before I switched to the electric trimmer, which I must admit is a lot less painful than tweezing my face from top to bottom. :)

#80 Clearwaters

Clearwaters

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Fark....I just shaved. I'd be growing a beard for months, only keeping it trimmed. Damn, not happy with what I uncovered. Really devastated actually. Don't know whay to do now, grow it back and never shave again or keep it shaved never letting it get that long again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users