#21 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (popeye18 @ May 5 2007, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Is there varying degrees of TE? "

From my research it appears that TE can vary greatly in its degree of severity.

Thanks for the response. I think my hairloss/TE is just as likely to be down to stress as it is the accutane to be honest. The point at which i was most stressed seems to coincide perfectly with 2-3 months ago, which does also suggest that it may well be from the severe stress.

Also had a chronic chest infection at the same as all of this when i think about it... which high tempurature etc.

Think im just going to become a recluse after my final exam for the next 6-8 months lol, will hopefully grow back by then!!

can also get my scar treatments to coincide with all of this, how spiffing!!

#22 davidhatesacne

davidhatesacne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE(popeye18 @ May 5 2007, 03:31 PM) View Post
"Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age."

Im having a hard time understanding this as it seems to contradict itself. She said yes it can accelerate mpb because it jumps the hair ahead a cycle. But then she says that hair cycles do not matter and one only pregresses towards mpb as they age.

i think what he means is that the hair, because of accutane, can accelerate faster in cycles. meaning, if you have MPB or if you are going to have MPB soon accutane could accelerate it because your hair falls out and new crappier ones grow in to replace the better ones accutane lost.

#23 SemenSkinRegimen

SemenSkinRegimen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:36 PM

i have hair loss in my beard.

but its from laser not accutane.

i hope it grows back!

#24 cutekitten02

cutekitten02

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE(MyPoorHair @ May 3 2007, 09:34 PM) View Post
I went to my doctor today with a printed list of questions about Accutane hair loss. Here they are, with the answers in bold.

How does Accutane cause hair loss? What is the cause of TE? Lack of sebum? Damage to the hair follicles (interruption of keratinization)?

Hair follicles are not damaged. A change to certain chemical receptors - none related to hair loss - makes them more responsive, and this causes a "shock" to the body. Lack of sebum is also a factor.

How long does hypervitaminosis A last? In other words, how long does the excess vitamin A remain in my body? Does eating foods containing vitamin A prolong the hypervitaminosis?

2 months. Eating foods with vitamin A does not make a significant difference. To that point, women are allowed to get pregnant six months after Accutane.

Does Accutane decrease the amount of biotin produced by the liver? If so, do biotin supplements help?

Possibly. I was advised to take mega-doses (2.5mg) of biotin. She also recommended protein drinks!

In general, does Accutane accelerate MPB? Is miniaturization a function of time or of physical cycles?

Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age.

My hairs are fine all over my head, not just on my crown. To what extent does Accutane miniaturize hair follicles? What about "hair abnormalities"?

No clear answer. "Hair abnormalities" does not specifically refer to anything.

Explain in general the relationship between Accutane hair loss and MPB.

By shedding anagen hairs originally destined to remain in the head for 2 to 6 years, one begins growing new hair that is affected by MPB. In other words, by shedding hair through telogen effluvium, one's hair jumps forward to a cycle affected by MPB.

How many patients have you seen recover from Accutane hair loss?

All of them. She has had only six patients out of hundreds lose hair.

In terms of months, what is the shortest and longest amount of time of recovery?

Shortest amount of time: 6 months. Longest: 8 months.

My scalp is itchy and flaky. Why?

Dandruff! Caused by Accutane dryness. She recommended anti-dandruff shampoo.

My face has become slightly more oily recently. Does the extra oil indicate the effects of Accutane are wearing off? If so, is this the initial sign of hair recovery?

Yes!

My nails have pits on their surface. Could this be alopecia areata?

No.

So: Guys with hair loss in pattern areas are predestined to suffer MPB. If it concerns you, as it does me, Propecia and Rogaine are the treatment options. I urge men to investigate Propecia's side effects: not only impotence, but possible breast enlargement [!] and changes to the shape of one's penis [!!]. My doctor said that none of her many patients on Propecia have suffered these side effects, and that the drug is a really safe one.

Yeah. Like Accutane was safe.

Hope this helped!

Do most people typically experience hair loss or thinning? I already have thin hair, and have been taking Biotin pills for close to a year now, how much of a chance will being on Accutane effect me? (I just started it)

Deandra

#25 popeye18

popeye18

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:52 PM

"Do most people typically experience hair loss or thinning? I already have thin hair, and have been taking Biotin pills for close to a year now, how much of a chance will being on Accutane effect me? (I just started it)"

The % youll find for accutane hairloss is 13%. My derm said she has seen it significantly less than this. I look at it as something to be aware of, but not something to worry yourself sick over.

"Also had a chronic chest infection at the same as all of this when i think about it... which high tempurature etc."

This very well could be it. High Fever is a common cause of TE. It could also be the stress or the accutane. It could be from a combination of all 3.

#26 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE(popeye18 @ May 5 2007, 10:31 PM) View Post
"Yes, Accutane can accelerate MPB by prompting the growth of new, crappier hairs after the old, good ones are shed. MPB is a function of time. One does not progress toward MPB with each new cycle, but generally through one's lifespan. In other words, at a specific age."

Im having a hard time understanding this as it seems to contradict itself. She said yes it can accelerate mpb because it jumps the hair ahead a cycle. But then she says that hair cycles do not matter and one only pregresses towards mpb as they age.

From what i understand, she simply means it makes the hairs that grow through more susceptable to DHT as they aren't as strong at resisting the ammune response at the hair follicule!!

I'm just gonna use nizoral every day and keep my fingers crossed, not alot more i can do really, gonna take biotin and vic c and a good multi vitamin aswell...

#27 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(popeye18 @ May 5 2007, 11:52 PM) View Post
"Do most people typically experience hair loss or thinning? I already have thin hair, and have been taking Biotin pills for close to a year now, how much of a chance will being on Accutane effect me? (I just started it)"

The % youll find for accutane hairloss is 13%. My derm said she has seen it significantly less than this. I look at it as something to be aware of, but not something to worry yourself sick over.

"Also had a chronic chest infection at the same as all of this when i think about it... which high tempurature etc."

This very well could be it. High Fever is a common cause of TE. It could also be the stress or the accutane. It could be from a combination of all 3.

Yeah i just hope it doesn't become chronic, chances of that are low though and i think with 6-8 months of relaxation i should be much better. Accutane is really harsh to be honest, i really underestimated it, before accutane i had taken a wide array of anti biotics and always been fine. Thought it would be the same with tane, was a very nieve thing to think, my grandad is a Dr and was totally against me going on it, should of listened to him in this case...

#28 _Andy_

_Andy_

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

QUOTE(popeye18 @ May 5 2007, 05:31 PM) View Post

I do seem to contradict myself.

I meant: I didn't jump into MPB because the Accutane caused me to cycle early. The DHT had already affected my hair follicles because of my age.

It's actually a meaningless point. Disregard it.

#29 _Andy_

_Andy_

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:21 PM

QUOTE(lamarr1986 @ May 5 2007, 02:23 PM) View Post
Has it slowed down recently? plus did it speed up before it slowed down? I would think im probably loosing around 100 a day, people say this is normal, but for me it isn't and i can see a thinning in my hair from day to day. Is there varying degrees of TE?

Hi. It has slowed down a lot recently. I lose maybe 20 hairs a day nowadays. This happened a little after 3 months after this nonsense started.

And, yes, it sped up for 3 weeks before it slowed down.

#30 cutekitten02

cutekitten02

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:22 PM

Im sorry, I am new to this forum, what do all of these abbreviations mean?

Thanks

#31 lamarr1986

lamarr1986

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (MyPoorHair @ May 6 2007, 12:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (lamarr1986 @ May 5 2007, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has it slowed down recently? plus did it speed up before it slowed down? I would think im probably loosing around 100 a day, people say this is normal, but for me it isn't and i can see a thinning in my hair from day to day. Is there varying degrees of TE?

Hi. It has slowed down a lot recently. I lose maybe 20 hairs a day nowadays. This happened a little after 3 months after this nonsense started.

QUOTE (cutekitten02 @ May 6 2007, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks

Don't worry yourself with this thread just yet!!! we are just talking about hairloss. But like i said don't worry yourself with our post's or most other posts on here for that matter, because chances are you won't experience any of them. It doesn't hurt being aware of the possible issues though....

#32 _Andy_

_Andy_

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE(lamarr1986 @ May 5 2007, 07:36 PM) View Post
QUOTE(MyPoorHair @ May 6 2007, 12:21 AM) View Post

You sound like you could be fine in a a few months then mate!! i think using the nizoral shampoo should really help, keeping DHT at the groth site to a minimum. Im sure i have high testosterone levels, but as im sure you know this doesn't always mean MPB.

When you read most of the posts on hairloss/accutane it does seem to happen more to men, There must be something in that, and surely the only link is DHT. So i think all of us would benefit some degree from using nizoral/minoxidil. Atleast untill most hair has re grown.
I know TE is nothing to do with MPB, but i think the rate at which the hair regrows could be effected by DHT and whether the hair returns to normal in the long run...

QUOTE(cutekitten02 @ May 6 2007, 12:22 AM) View Post

Thanks

Don't worry yourself with this thread just yet!!! we are just talking about hairloss. But like i said don't worry yourself with our post's or most other posts on here for that matter, because chances are you won't experience any of them. It doesn't hurt being aware of the possible issues though....

MPB = male pattern baldness
TE = telogen effluvium

Women suffer from hair loss, too. I think perhaps more. www.hairsite.com, or something like that, has a forum filled with women upset about this issue.

And I fully agree that it's important to be aware of this issue. I wish I had taken a lower dose in retrospect, and that I had washed my hair less, and had taken biotin throughout the course.

#33 cutekitten02

cutekitten02

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE(MyPoorHair @ May 5 2007, 05:45 PM) View Post

You sound like you could be fine in a a few months then mate!! i think using the nizoral shampoo should really help, keeping DHT at the groth site to a minimum. Im sure i have high testosterone levels, but as im sure you know this doesn't always mean MPB.

When you read most of the posts on hairloss/accutane it does seem to happen more to men, There must be something in that, and surely the only link is DHT. So i think all of us would benefit some degree from using nizoral/minoxidil. Atleast untill most hair has re grown.
I know TE is nothing to do with MPB, but i think the rate at which the hair regrows could be effected by DHT and whether the hair returns to normal in the long run...

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Women suffer from hair loss, too. I think perhaps more. www.hairsite.com, or something like that, has a forum filled with women upset about this issue.

And I fully agree that it's important to be aware of this issue. I wish I had taken a lower dose in retrospect, and that I had washed my hair less, and had taken biotin throughout the course.

Did you experience a lot of hair loss by using those precautions? B/C i have been on Biotin for almost 1 year just for the fact that I naturally have thin hair, and I already wash my hair less for that same reason. I dont want to freak out, but I guess I am more concerned just B/C I already have thin hair. I just started Tane so well see.

#34 _Andy_

_Andy_

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE(cutekitten02 @ May 5 2007, 08:07 PM) View Post

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Did you experience a lot of hair loss by using those precautions? B/C i have been on Biotin for almost 1 year just for the fact that I naturally have thin hair, and I already wash my hair less for that same reason. I dont want to freak out, but I guess I am more concerned just B/C I already have thin hair. I just started Tane so well see.

I didn't use those precautions, unfortunately.

Let me ask you this: have you always had thin hair? Or has it become more thin over the years?

In general, I would definitely bring this up with your doctor. Ultimately, though, I do believe this side effect to be a rare one. I would only slightly worry.

#35 cutekitten02

cutekitten02

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE(MyPoorHair @ May 5 2007, 06:10 PM) View Post

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Let me ask you this: have you always had thin hair? Or has it become more thin over the years?

In general, I would definitely bring this up with your doctor. Ultimately, though, I do believe this side effect to be a rare one. I would only slightly worry.

Always been thin, all of my family has thick hair, i even got my thyroid gland check to see if I had excessive amounts of male testosterone, it came back normal lol... How long after taking Tane did you knowtice problems with your hair??

#36 _Andy_

_Andy_

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE(cutekitten02 @ May 5 2007, 08:14 PM) View Post
QUOTE(MyPoorHair @ May 5 2007, 06:10 PM) View Post

Thanks

TE = telogen effluvium

Always been thin, all of my family has thick hair, i even got my thyroid gland check to see if I had excessive amounts of male testosterone, it came back normal lol... How long after taking Tane did you knowtice problems with your hair??

5 months. Right at the end of my course.

#37 popeye18

popeye18

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:25 PM

QUOTE(MyPoorHair @ May 5 2007, 05:17 PM) View Post
QUOTE(popeye18 @ May 5 2007, 05:31 PM) View Post

I do seem to contradict myself.

I meant: I didn't jump into MPB because the Accutane caused me to cycle early. The DHT had already affected my hair follicles because of my age.

It's actually a meaningless point. Disregard it.

OK i think i understand now what you were getting at. Also thanks for a good post with information direct form your derm.

#38 sverd

sverd

anonymous

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2007 - 09:23 PM

Is it weird that I started noticing the hair loss after only 1.5 months of accutane? Most other people seem to notice it later on or months after treatment.

#39 ithappens

ithappens

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 06 May 2007 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE(Dolph @ May 6 2007, 11:23 PM) View Post
Is it weird that I started noticing the hair loss after only 1.5 months of accutane? Most other people seem to notice it later on or months after treatment.

no i noticed shedding a little over two months into accutane once i jumped up to 40mg. the thing is though i wasn't that concerned cause i had a lot of hair to begin with and i only lost some hair in the shower around 10-15 and i heard it was temporary and that once you ended the medication it would stop. then with about a month left into the accutane my hair started coming out just everywhere and all and not just in the shower but throughout the day as well. I think there is a difference between the hair shedding which is medically induced by accutane than the TE that a lot of us are going through now. but yea the whole texture of my hair has changed and everything. however, and i do want to say this over the past week my hair loss has gotten a lot better. i'm only losing around 30 hairs a day now compared to the ton i was losing before. hope this helps.

#40 popeye18

popeye18

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:04 AM

"however, and i do want to say this over the past week my hair loss has gotten a lot better."

Thats awesome man. I bet in no time your hair will be on its way back to normal. Good luck and keep us updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users