2 replies to this topic

#1 PhilO

PhilO

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 5
About Me

Posted 02 May 2007 - 11:55 PM

Hi guys. I've been battling Acne since 7th grade, and I'm now a sophomore in high school. My dermatologist had me on Benza-clin for about 2 years and it didnt work, this was at a point where acne wasn't a horrible threat to me so I didn't really question it.

About 6 months ago, he put me on Cefalexin (sp?), the antibiotic, and Retin-A-Micro and Klaron, recommending I put the Retin-A on with Klaron after.

I have moderate acne, could probably get some pictures up tomorrow. Nothing serious but my pimpes seem to stay forever. I have a nasty habit of picking the zits that I'm trying to kick.

Does my doctor's treatment seem strange to anyone? Aren't topical and antibiotics for 2 different problems? Is he just trying to guess what I have? I haven't really spoken to him about the actual cause of my acne but if you guys can let me know anything to ask on my next visit I'll be sure to remember.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm new here, first post!

#2 volatile_vixen

volatile_vixen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me
  • Interests:I live in Jersey in a small tourist town. Currently, I work at a book store and I loooove it! So, if you ever need a recommendation on what to read, ask!<br /><br />Art is my everything. I love painting, making jewelry, and studying fashion. <br /><br />I'm at a difficult point in my life right now because my grandfather passed away this year and I'm coming to the end of my final year in high school. My family wants me to be a doctor and that's not what I really want to do...bit of an issue I guess.<br /><br />Anyway, I love this site and I really hope the advice I give out helps!

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE(PhilO @ May 3 2007, 01:55 AM) View Post
Hi guys. I've been battling Acne since 7th grade, and I'm now a sophomore in high school. My dermatologist had me on Benza-clin for about 2 years and it didnt work, this was at a point where acne wasn't a horrible threat to me so I didn't really question it.

About 6 months ago, he put me on Cefalexin (sp?), the antibiotic, and Retin-A-Micro and Klaron, recommending I put the Retin-A on with Klaron after.

I have moderate acne, could probably get some pictures up tomorrow. Nothing serious but my pimpes seem to stay forever. I have a nasty habit of picking the zits that I'm trying to kick.

Does my doctor's treatment seem strange to anyone? Aren't topical and antibiotics for 2 different problems? Is he just trying to guess what I have? I haven't really spoken to him about the actual cause of my acne but if you guys can let me know anything to ask on my next visit I'll be sure to remember.

Thanks in advance!

Hey there. I was in the same situation as you; battling acne since 7th grade, etc etc. My last derm. had me on antibiotics, Retin-A at night, and Klaron in the day. Didn't do a damn thing for me...too much topical stuff I think. It's not strange though, because I was on the exact same thing. I'm going to a new derm. now and I'm on some kind of blend of antibiotics that are really supposed to help. It's the generic form of Bactrim, I think and I'm not on anything topical. Topical stuff really didn't do anything for me...in fact it made my skin worse, but I'm sure its not like that with everyone. Give it time and see how it works for you. Oh, and be really open with your doctor. If there's any concerns you have, let him know. My doctor is pretty sure the acne is from my mom's side and hopes (now that I'm 17) it'll get done its course and be easier to manage.

Hope it all works out for you!

Skin issues: Dealing with blackheads and non-infalmed acne. The most stubborn ever. A few pimples on shoulders as well. Treating with Tea Tree Oil Soap.

My Regime

Morning:
Cetaphil (normal to oily)
Lumene Matte Balancing Toner
Olay Complete Moisturizer for Sensative Skin
Philosophy The Present Clear Make-Up primer

Make-up:
Aubrey Nicole Mineral Make-up

Night:
Cleanse with Cetaphil (normal to oily)
Alpha Hydrox 12% AHA Souffle

Pills:
Bactrim twice a day
Zinc
Omega-3/Omege-6 Fish Oilx2

You're nothing if you're just another

#3 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE(PhilO @ May 3 2007, 01:55 AM) View Post

Thanks in advance!

Please add yogurt to your diet (with live active cultures) or take lactobacillus in recommended amounts. Keflex (cephalexin) can increase the risk of getting an antibiotic induced colitis, particularly with long-term use.

It is NOT uncommon to have two different types of treatment for acne. Topicals and antibiotics work quite well for many. It might clear you up completely!

They work in different ways. The topicals help the skin shed better so you don't get the clogged pores, and may help with sebum production. They also help with collagen production. The oral antibiotics work on the inside out, attacking the actual bacteria that cause acne. Oral and topical antibiotics also have the unfortunate side effect of killing 'good' bacteria, too, thus the caveat to eat yogurt or take lactobacillus.

Take responsibility for your health; read the full prescribing information for any medication you take and understand that not all risks or potential side effects will likely ever be fully known.

=Regimen: Cetaphil Sensitive Skin Bar & Avon Anew Advanced Clinical Retexturizing Peel every day & Queen Helene Mint Julep mask weekly=
*Glycolic Acid Product Recommendations *What to do with a cyst/pimple/zit

Wynne 2.9Beta Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger

Please ask questions on the boards, not via PM. That way all benefit. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users