Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why are you a vegan or vegetarian?

243 posts in this topic

Well I read a fitness book by Michael Thurmond and he mentioned eating only 2-4 ounces of meat (or other protein) per meal...take from that what you will :P

Wash face with Cetaphil, exfoliating with facial brush

Apply moisturizer

Apply Vitamin A cream

Apply Sudocrem

Its been all over the BBC and CNN News that 90% of nutrionalists and doctors agree that no more than two servings of meat (1 serving = 3 ounces of meat) should be eaten per week. Studies find that for those who eat it more often than that have an 80% increase of heart disease when people eat more than that and 60% rise in colon cancer.

Necromancer - Instead of always deriding a vegetarian diet and negatively labeling anyone who says they are vegetarian, why not help people by posting facts/info? Its kind of cute, but I'd probably get tired of it after awhile if I were at the end of your gun barrel. Borrow a brain and start quoting facts/statistics if you are wanting to call people stupid. At least you'll contribute to conversations that way.

Its not about getting there. Its about the journey along the way.

Its been all over the BBC and CNN News that all nutrionalists and doctors agree that no more than two servings of meat (1 serving = 3 ounces of meat) should be eaten per week. They have found a 80% increase of heart disease when people eat more than that and 60% rise in colon cancer.

Different strokes for different folks. Perhaps some people have optimum health eating a lot of meat with less carbs while others are better off just the opposite. The reality is there are different primitive cultures with vastly different diets all with much greater health than most of us. It depends upon the environment they've adapted to. There are some generalized truths about nutrition that apply to all of us, but ultimately you have to find the balance that works for you although this can be easier said than done. Check out metabolic typing. A lot of people get too hung up on the fact that there isn't enough research on it yet and its diagnostic means aren't that great, but that's missing the point. Its underlying principles I think make a lot more sense than some one size fits all diet that no one can agree on and results in conflicting research.

It's a lot harder to plan the vegetarian meals to get the same nutrients as an omnivore diet (note I'm not saying that you personally find it hard after 2 years of research or that vegetarian diets are crap so don't get all thick headed). It's easier to eat a healthy omnivore diet the only problem is paying more for quality protein.

I got into an argument with someone here about incomplete proteins and how you can combine plant sources to get a complete protein meal. My argument that was for me to get the protein I need(soy is not an option), I would have to eat ungodly amounts of legumes and rice to get the proper amino acids. Plus the amino acid profiles in certain meats work with each other in the right ratios to get better results than if you just ate them separately. Don't get me started on the amount of fiber such a diet would have in it, including the other veggies I consume. I calculated it out to over 150grams a day. Not healthy.

Plus the amount fo protein you get in meat is around 80-90% whereas the bioavailability of most plants range from 20%-50% (Soy not included). Plus I'm not sure that you can go overboard on real freerange eggs or wild fish from good waters. You can probably have a lot of freerange beef or lamb and I know that wild game is very good for you.

I think there is no need to negatively label vegetarians or vegans like so many people freely do on this message board.

I dont think many people even realize how many vegetarians and vegans living out their lives right before our very eyes.

None of these people spend their entire day planning out their meals each day. Vegetarians and vegans have never had to "gorge" large amounts of vegetables and legumes to make sure they are getting perfect amounts of amino acids or other nutrients. They pretty much live their lives like anyone else.

Here's a quick summarization of vegetarian and vegans we all know:

Celebrities:

Kim Basinger

Bryan Adams VEGAN

Lenny Kravitz

Julia Stiles

Josh Hartnett

Liv Tyler

Michael J. Fox

Coretta Scott King

Jorja Fox (CSI)

Leonardo diCaprio

Leonard Nimoy

Vanessa Williams

Anne Hathaway (Princess Diaries)

David Duchovny

Pamela Anderson VEGAN

River Phoenix

James Cromwell (Babe)VEGAN

Candice Bergen

B.B. King

Hayley Mills

Sir Ian McKellen

Paul McCartney VEGAN

Julie Christie (Dr. Zhivalgo)

Alyssa Milano

Brigitte Bardot

Darryl Hannah

Gwyneth Paltrow

Jackie Chan

Alicia Silverstone VEGAN

Anthony Perkins (Psycho)

Woody Harelson

Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween)

Richard Gere

Reese Witherspoon

Moby VEGAN

Christie Brinkley

Ricki Lake

Steve Martin (Commedian)

Billy Idol (singer)

Kate Bush (singer)

Ted Danson

William Shatner (StarTrek)

Lisa Kudrow (Friends)

John Lennon

Yoko Ono

Paul McCartney VEGAN

Linda McCartney

Heather Mills McCartney VEGAN

Ringo Starr

Barbara Bach

Chelsea Clinton

Don Mclean ("American Pie")

Keenan Ivory Wayens VEGAN

Peter Cushing

Benjamin Spock VEGAN

Jane Goodall

Fred Rogers (Mr. Rogers)

"Weird" Al Yankovic VEGAN

Marina Sirtis (Star Trek)

Mary Tyler Moore

Marilu Henner

Meredith Baxter

Bob Barker (The Price is Wrong)

Amy Ray (Indigo Girls)

Grace Slick

Steve Vai

Joan Baez (folk singer)

Paula Cole

George Harrison (Beatles)

Desmond Howard

Edwin Moses

Martina Navratilova

Oleg Casini

Oliver Stone (director)

Historical Figures:

Plato

Leonardo da Vinci

Mahatma Ghandi VEGAN

Ovid

Voltaire

Martin Luther

Socrates

Nikola Tesla

Henry Ford

Charles Darwin

Plutarch

Pythagorus

Thomas Edison

Henry David Thoreau

Sir Isaac Newton

Vincent Van Gogh

Susan B. Anthony

Zoraster

Louisa May Alcott

George Bernard Shaw

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Leo Tolstoy

Mark Twain

H.G.Wells

Mary Shelley

Milton

Henry Heimlich M.D

Siouxsie Sioux

Joe Jackson

Chrissie Hynde

Cathy Dennis

Diogenes

Albert Schweitzer

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Franz Kafka

Charlotte Bronte

Sports Athletes:

Bruce Lee

Killer Kowalski

Anthony Peeler (NBA)

Bill Walton (NBA)

Robert Parish (NBA)

Kathy Johnson (1980 Gymnast of the Year)

Bill Pearl (Bodybuilder)

Thomas Hellriegel (Ironman)

Dr. Ruth Heidrich (Ironwoman) VEGAN

Natascha Badman (Ironlady of Hawaii)

Silken Laumann (Olympic rower)

Anthony Peeler (NBA Grizzlies)

Bill Pearl (Bodybuilder, Mr America)

Dave Scott (5x Ironman Triathlon winner) VEGAN

Carl Lewis ( ten x Olympic winner) VEGAN

I dont think there is a major nutritional problem for vegetarians and vegans. I think people are making much ado about nothing :).

Its not about getting there. Its about the journey along the way.

My point in making this article was not about the nutritional side so much, but about why you choose to be a vegetarian or vegan. You are not really helping animals was my point.

if your okay with eating jacked up, hormone infested MUSCLES, which I no longer believe even deserve the term animal because of the screwed up actions of modern mass commercial murder, then so be it. I find its sad that a human race as intelligent as ours, understanding that all mammals are capable of feeling every emotion that we as humans do, pumps these animals full of growth hormones until they're immobile slabs of meat. If your okay with commercial murder then go for it! :boogie:

if your okay with eating jacked up, hormone infested MUSCLES, which I no longer believe even deserve the term animal because of the screwed up actions of modern mass commercial murder, then so be it. I find its sad that a human race as intelligent as ours, understanding that all mammals are capable of feeling every emotion that we as humans do, pumps these animals full of growth hormones until they're immobile slabs of meat. If your okay with commercial murder then go for it! :boogie:

The celeb list convinced me. If Alyssa Milano is vegetarian, then I'm going to be one too.

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

Occasionally eat: beans, squash, potatoes.

Don't eat: sugar, grains, most processed food.

Factory farms are beyond cruel and the meat is unhealthy.

Organic free range raised meat is way too expensive for my wallet.

100% clear for over 2 years. DIET and USING AS LITTLE PRODUCTS POSSIBLE IS KEY IN STOPPING ACNE

"In such a world of conflict, a world of victims and executioners, it is the job of thinking people to question and create change".

My friend is a vegitarian and hopes to soon move to being a vegan. She does it for both health reasons and moral reasons. When she made her descision to become a vegitarian, she was informed and smart about it; making sure that her diet had a variety of foods and that she got all of her vitamins and nutrients. (i.e - not just eating tons of green lettuce salads). She is also a big animals rights activist and chose to give up meat because she was uncomfertable with the way many farms are run.

She is healthier for it, and I'm proud of her for having the ability to stick with it. She's not a jerk about it, doesn't preach, and doesn't mind if we order steaks when the hubby and I take her out to dinner.

"I believe that when we leave a place, part of it goes with us and part of us remains. Long after we are gone .. our voices will linger in these walls for as long as this place remains."- Gkar, Objects in Motion

"I believe our future depends powerfully on how well we understand this cosmos. The sky calls to us, if we do not destroy ourselves." - Carl Sagan

Go back and read the rest of the thread, especially the first post, I am not going to repeat myself and waste time.

Status: Clear after 30 years. Wow, I guess it's been 6 years, now.

[ Story: Severe Acne since I was 10. 10+ years of Dermatologists, Antibiotics, topicals and ACCUTANE did nothing. Discovered oranges triggered the worst of my cystic acne = about 70% improvement. Tried some nutrient supplements like B-complex with zinc and C, saw palmetto and a BHA like the aspirin mask = more improvement, a lot less oily. Then, Diet changes = Clear.

Regimen: Anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense, blood sugar stabilizing diet and supplements (for hormones, inflammation, aging, health). No soap or other cleanser except for hand washing! Water only or Oil cleanse. Aloe Vera mixed with niacinimide and a high linoleic acid oil for moisturizer and reduce pigmentation.

Diet effects acne in so many ways: hormone balance, inflammation, Insulin levels, digestion, allergies and intolerances, liver function, adrenal function, SHBG levels, sebum quality, cell function and turnover, nutrient deficiencies, body fat, etc. Basic advice: Eat, sleep, supplement and exercise like you are a diabetic. And eat real food!

For more information, see my Good Things for Acne thread *Moderator edit - Please refer to the board rules (see “Advertising/soliciting”, “Linking” and “Signatures”)*

When you eat stuff, Stuff Happens!

Go back and read the rest of the thread, especially the first post, I am not going to repeat myself and waste time.

The "it's too expensive" argument doesn't hold up to me. It's about priorities. Besides, a box of cereal costs what these days? -about $4? For less than $5, I can get enough organic chicken to feed me for 2-3 meals. A dozen free-range organic eggs costs me about $3. I know that's more than non-organic eggs, but it's less than the cereal; it probably gives you more meals for your money, and definitely gives you more nutrition.

I don't make a lot of money. I'm a student and prior to that, I worked for close to minimum wage. I still manage to eat mostly organic.

My regimen:

Eat regularly: a wide variety of vegetables, eggs, meat/fish, cheese, yogurt, butter, fruit, nuts/seeds.

I am a long time Vegetarian, who is contemplating going Vegan.

First and foremost I adore animals and simply do not want to eat them, I find it gross and it never tasted good to me. All my life I rarely ate much meat, even though I was raised by a meat eating family of hunters. I saw what it is to kill, skin, and process meat. :sick:

I hate animal cruelty in any form, I believe a meat-free diet is better for the environment, I feel better physically and ethically, and a meat-free diet simply tastes better. I'm consuming less chemicals & hormones, and I don't have to worry about animal borne disease, such as avian flu or mad cow disease. An average meal of beans & veggies is cheaper than meat. In my opinion, it is unnecessary to eat animals. Lastly, I do not want to support companies that treat their workers and animals like crap.

Let your food be your medicine -Hippocrates

I'm neither vegan or vegetarian, though I was a strict vegetarian from 13-18. I do not eat much meat though, maybe every 3 weeks or so. I do not care for the taste, and I find it disgusting.

I don't find the eating of animals disgusting, I find the way we raise without regard for their LIFE and the manner in which we slaughter them to be disgusting. Take apple blossems sig for example. That is so thoroughly fucking sick. Read the book fast food nation for more information on how you meat is 'produced.'

I will gladly eat what I have hunted or caught myself, or by my family. I think every living thing on this planet has a soul, and we need to be thankful everytime we use it for our own purposes. The old adage applies here as well - waste not, want not. If you are going to kill something for your use, do it humanely, and don't waste a single bit.

In general, I think we NEED to eat animals, if no one did, there would be an over population that would and HAS caused animals to starve for lack of food, and worse - eat each other. I think we all recall mad cow disease.

It is like a reason that picks you up

And places you

Where you always wanted

To be.

*Moderator edit - Linking to websites other than Acne.org in your signature is not allowed*

Well, its too bad all of us can't band together and publically tell the meat company that we think the way they treat animals before slaughter (and definitely during slaughter) is insanely disgusting and inhumane (I think everyone can agree on that point).

What are we being fed??

This year, the FDA decided that "cancerous growths and pus-filled lesions" would not be removed from animal carcases because they pose no immedate health risk to humans.

In a recent study, the FDA stated that up to 15% of factory-farmed animals have bodies riddled with cancerous tumors. Up to 30% of animals had internal and external cysts and running infections that were larger than 20cm because of lack of vetrinary care. Factory farms hold 20,000-60,000 cows, pigs or chickens in one warehouse at any one time. 10% of Factory farmed animals are in such poor health that they cannot walk to the slaughter house and must be dragged with chains and ropes.

Is it really health to eat sick animals all the time?

If you would like to know more about your food in a 10 minute free movie, go to:

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

Well, its too bad all of us can't band together and publically tell the meat company that we think the way they treat animals before slaughter (and definitely during slaughter) is insanely disgusting and inhumane (I think everyone can agree on that point).

My regimen:

I am a long time Vegetarian, who is contemplating going Vegan.

First and foremost I adore animals and simply do not want to eat them, I find it gross and it never tasted good to me. All my life I rarely ate much meat, even though I was raised by a meat eating family of hunters. I saw what it is to kill, skin, and process meat. :sick:

I hate animal cruelty in any form, I believe a meat-free diet is better for the environment, I feel better physically and ethically, and a meat-free diet simply tastes better. I'm consuming less chemicals & hormones, and I don't have to worry about animal borne disease, such as avian flu or mad cow disease. An average meal of beans & veggies is cheaper than meat. In my opinion, it is unnecessary to eat animals. Lastly, I do not want to support companies that treat their workers and animals like crap.

My regimen:

CJB -- This last year my acne became worse and I dropped out of school because I had noooo energy. I could tell I was missing some major nutrients. I did think at one time, "Do you think its possible that a vegetarian diet has caused me to be like this?" :P I went in and had many tests done -- they found I had been running on 0 minerals and other major nutrients for quite awhile. They put me on 10 high quality vitamin supplements, but tests showed my body would not absorb them.

Finally, I had an allergy test done and they found that I was sensitive to wheat (and some other foods). They explained to me that food sensitivities made it so our bodies would not absorb certain nutrients (they had me taking hugeeee amounts of vitamins). I've been off wheat 3 weeks now, and there is a major difference. My acne has been reduced by 70% and I have regained my energy and dramatically stopped being moody.

They told me that food sensitivities change throughout our lives because our bodies change, and that we should get tested for them at different periods in our lives (I'm assuming every 15ish years?)

I hope this helps :)

PS. Interestingly, they did notice that when I had 0 minerals in my system and other nutrients, that my Amino Acids were "wow, better than most peoples!" This came from the same doctor who, a few weeks before, told me that I should eat meat because my amino acids would be off balance. :P I have been a vegan for two years.

What are we being fed??

This year, the FDA decided that "cancerous growths and pus-filled lesions" would not be removed from animal carcases because they pose no immedate health risk to humans.

In a recent study, the FDA stated that up to 15% of factory-farmed animals have bodies riddled with cancerous tumors. Up to 30% of animals had internal and external cysts and running infections that were larger than 20cm because of lack of vetrinary care. Factory farms hold 20,000-60,000 cows, pigs or chickens in one warehouse at any one time. 10% of Factory farmed animals are in such poor health that they cannot walk to the slaughter house and must be dragged with chains and ropes.

Is it really health to eat sick animals all the time?

If you would like to know more about your food in a 10 minute free movie, go to:

*Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules. *

AB: I had tests done as well. I was severely anemic, my cholesterol was too low, and I had intestinal dysbiosis from eating too many carbs. BTW. my carb sources were rice, quinoa, oats etc; not doughnuts and pasta. I had already eliminated wheat and sugar a year or so before I had any testing done. It helped some, but didn't clear me.

The most logical thing to do to was to eat low-carb (candida-style diet) to starve the overgrowth of klebsiella in my digestive tract - since it feeds on starch, and to add more iron to my diet. I first tried to remedy all this while staying vegetarian. I did bowel cleansing; fiber shakes, colonics, probiotics, tried to eat a low-carb veggie diet (quinoa and sweet potatoes only for carbs), took iron pills and blackstrap molasses + ate more black bean, beets, spinach, etc. I also added eggs to my diet. When none of this worked, I added fish once a week. After about six months of this, I finally had to admit to myself that after ten years of being vegetarian and thinking it was healthier for me, it no longer was. I eliminated all grains and started eating meat. My acne stopped in its tracks. My chronically bloated stomach became flat. My severe mentrual cramps got better. The next blood test showed I was no longer anemic. Frankly, it was worth giving up vegetarianism to fix all those things, but it's not like it was easy to admit to myself that I was being stubborn about staying veggie and my health was suffering for it.

It's been about 9 months since I started eating that way, and I'm still clear. Also, I can tell my digestive system has healed - at least to some extent, because I can actually eat a piece of bread now and not break out.

My regimen:

I am the most acute form of vegan: fruitarian. For the heck of it.

Its not really about the moral issues; one could go around and around arguing with people and himself. I simple eat what is readily given by nature for me to eat.

I am also an extremely avid nutritionist. I have gone around and around analysing the nutrient profile of so many foods, and have capped off my nutrition needs with the exception of two vitamins and one mineral. Cause im crazy. :D Except for those three, all micro and macro nutrient needs are met or exceeded.

Health Enthusiast / Herbalist / Fruitarian / Insane 15 year old