Photo

Sulfamethoxazole/TMP DS T

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:01 PM

Hey everyone.

For the past 5-6 weeks I have been on Minocycline and Klaron Lotion for my acne. I consider my acne moderate, and suffer bumps on the my forehead and near my sideburns.

Anyway, After 5-6 weeks on that medication, I didn't see an improvement, so I went back to my doctor for a different oral antibiotic. She prescribed me something called Sulfamethoxazole/TMP DS T. (Substituted for Generic Septra DS)

I read the side effects and everything, and decided to take it anyway.

Has anyone had good success with this medication? I'm not sure what kind of acne I have, but their definitely not white/blackheads

Thanks!

#2 Adam122234

Adam122234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 April 2007 - 09:54 PM

You my GOOD friend have a generic Bactrim Septra.....AKA - The god of Antibiotics.

This should work above and beyond any antibiotics you've tried or heard of....it should be the CLOSEST thing to Accutane....in the sense that it's the 2nd best oral pill you can take to fight acne.

It's good stuff...keep up on it.

#3 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:24 PM

Hey Adam,

This is my 2nd day on the pill. I am currently taking twice day. I am wondering when I should see results. I got like 4 of those things that are under your skin and hurt when you touch em, and was wondering if this medication will help. Dang, I got prom soon so I hope this will help a bit.

Thanks

#4 Adam122234

Adam122234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2007 - 06:08 AM

It should help right away...you won't notice much of anything happening on what acne you currently have...but it's currently world war 3 in your body right now, and the Bacteria are losing big time. It's going to stop the Bacteria growth and current presence in your body...meaning it should stop most of what acne you would have in the future...just use your normal topicals and you'll get ahead of it and slowly start to beat it.

Otherwise just using topicals is sort've hard without some backup from an antibiotic. You've got the best one out there BTW....so i mean give it 2-4 weeks and you'll start to notice "visible" results....even though the immediate results aren't exactly external...internally...you're getting them.

#5 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:28 PM

Hey Adam,

thanks for the info! much is appreciated. I'm not sure what kind of acne I have, whether theyre cysts, pustules, or w/e, theyre hard, and you can't pop them. After a couple days of facial cleansers or topicals, they grow a white head. I really want to pop them, but Im afraid of scarring.

I'm really hoping I will outgrow my acne. As I am only 17, I think im still in that puberty stage. My friends however, are a past 18, and have flawless skin. I remember them having really bad acne, and I was the one that was always clear, but now thats changed!

Anyway, I have been kinda neglecting my topicals until recently.
Here is my regimen:
Morning: Oxy BP Face Wash
Klaron Lotion
1 DS pill

Night: Neutrogena SA face wash
Klaron Lotion
Differin Topical
1 DS pill

You think Differin is the best topical?? Ive heard ppl have had poor results with it, and praise Retin- A and Tarozac or something.

But thanks for your help.

P.S
Would you recommend any changes in my regimen.
Here are my current "supplies"
Oxy BP Face Wash
Neutrogena SA Foaming cleanser
Klaron Lotion
Minocycline
DS pills
Differin.
*Can I take mino and ds at the same time?*

Thanks!

#6 Adam122234

Adam122234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2007 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE(thetruth24 @ May 2 2007, 11:28 PM) View Post
Hey Adam,

thanks for the info! much is appreciated. I'm not sure what kind of acne I have, whether theyre cysts, pustules, or w/e, theyre hard, and you can't pop them. After a couple days of facial cleansers or topicals, they grow a white head. I really want to pop them, but Im afraid of scarring.

I'm really hoping I will outgrow my acne. As I am only 17, I think im still in that puberty stage. My friends however, are a past 18, and have flawless skin. I remember them having really bad acne, and I was the one that was always clear, but now thats changed!

Anyway, I have been kinda neglecting my topicals until recently.
Here is my regimen:
Morning: Oxy BP Face Wash
Klaron Lotion
1 DS pill

Night: Neutrogena SA face wash
Klaron Lotion
Differin Topical
1 DS pill

You think Differin is the best topical?? Ive heard ppl have had poor results with it, and praise Retin- A and Tarozac or something.

But thanks for your help.

P.S
Would you recommend any changes in my regimen.
Here are my current "supplies"
Oxy BP Face Wash
Neutrogena SA Foaming cleanser
Klaron Lotion
Minocycline
DS pills
Differin.
*Can I take mino and ds at the same time?*

Thanks!

Differin is just ok....it takes a LONG time to work though...anywere from 3-4 months....

So far you're fine.....i personally wouldn't take Mino and Doxy at the same time, but i'd take them a couple hours apart from each other....but otherwise they're just antibiotics and won't interact with each other. Other than that....rely on your Klaron Lotion...it'll work the best out of everything you have.

#7 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:17 PM

Thanks!

What about the facial washes? Would you keep it that way?

BTW, I don't take Doxy. I currently have Mino, and the Generic Septra.
Today I did:
10 AM - Septra
12 AM- Mino
10 PM- Will take Septra again

I have a question though. I have a couple of hard lumps under my skin. It looks like I could pop it and all this white stuff will come out, but I have prom tomorrow. Is there anyway I can drain these without scarring? Or should I just leave it, and let the topicals and antibiotics do its job? Its not bad or anything, just a couple around the sideburns and right forehead.

Thanks!

P.S
Any tips on making my face look cleaner or smoother? For one night? haha Thanks!

#8 Adam122234

Adam122234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2007 - 02:27 AM

I've learned that letting them be is the absolute BEST thing you can do....touching just makes it red and A LOT more noticeable....let your face take it's course....only pop them if they're whiteheads and look like they can be....and even then, get a needle and sterilize it with rubbing alcohol.

In terms of facial washes....watch the Benzoyle Peroxide and the SA....they'll just dry, irritate and possibly make your face worse....use them in little moderation...DON'T over do it....

IMHO Finacea is much better than any SA or anything for that matter.

In basic terms...Finacea is for acne and rosacea sufferers...it does the Following ;

Sheds skin much faster and prevents clogged pores....which also gives you new looking skin all the time

kills bacteria so it'll stop acne significantly

gets rid of redness extreamly fast and well...it's made for people with roseacea...so it's been kept in mind that they need a redness reliever.

it's a natural acid that is found in fruits, which doesn't dry, irritate or cause acne

it's extreamly light, and goes on clear when you rub it in....it's infact the only thing i can get away with wearing in the day without people noticing that i'm wearing something

can be worn with a moisturizer / make-up.......but you don't need either really.

doesn't cause any IB's like Differin or Retins do....

WORKS right away....see fantastic results in 4 weeks....but expect results as soon as you've worn it for only 8 hours...you can see redness go away from just that amount of time...not like OMG amazing..but it's still significant enough to appreciate how good it works...after 4 weeks you'll wonder how you'd live without it.

Call your derm and get some samples...tell him enough for a month....because i guarantee you'll love this stuff...

There are no down sides to it...

#9 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 May 2007 - 06:22 PM

Hey Adam,

Thanks for the info! much is appreciated! I will definitely look into that! Today, I went to see my regular doctor and she prescribed me some Benzymycin. I originally asked for Tazorac because I heard it is kind of like accutane, and thought it would be better. Instead, she wanted me to try this first. Have you ever had any experience with it? The reviews I have read say its great.

Also, you never got back to me on the whole antibiotics thing. Is it ok if I:

Morning: Septra
Afternoon: Mino
Night: Septra

Thanks!

QUOTE(Adam122234 @ May 4 2007, 03:27 AM) View Post
I've learned that letting them be is the absolute BEST thing you can do....touching just makes it red and A LOT more noticeable....let your face take it's course....only pop them if they're whiteheads and look like they can be....and even then, get a needle and sterilize it with rubbing alcohol.

In terms of facial washes....watch the Benzoyle Peroxide and the SA....they'll just dry, irritate and possibly make your face worse....use them in little moderation...DON'T over do it....

IMHO Finacea is much better than any SA or anything for that matter.

In basic terms...Finacea is for acne and rosacea sufferers...it does the Following ;

Sheds skin much faster and prevents clogged pores....which also gives you new looking skin all the time

kills bacteria so it'll stop acne significantly

gets rid of redness extreamly fast and well...it's made for people with roseacea...so it's been kept in mind that they need a redness reliever.

it's a natural acid that is found in fruits, which doesn't dry, irritate or cause acne

it's extreamly light, and goes on clear when you rub it in....it's infact the only thing i can get away with wearing in the day without people noticing that i'm wearing something

can be worn with a moisturizer / make-up.......but you don't need either really.

doesn't cause any IB's like Differin or Retins do....

WORKS right away....see fantastic results in 4 weeks....but expect results as soon as you've worn it for only 8 hours...you can see redness go away from just that amount of time...not like OMG amazing..but it's still significant enough to appreciate how good it works...after 4 weeks you'll wonder how you'd live without it.

Call your derm and get some samples...tell him enough for a month....because i guarantee you'll love this stuff...

There are no down sides to it...

#10 Adam122234

Adam122234

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 12:57 AM

Yep....Benzaclin and Benzamycin are basically the same thing....

It should work very good...but you might get a little red....make sure you get a nice moisturizer..i recommend Cetaphil moisturizing cream...cake it on at night and you'll wake up to a nice, hydrated, and non-irritated face.

#11 Wynne

Wynne

Look into kitty's eyes....you're feeling polite and kind

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:07 AM

Please ask your doc about combining the two antibiotics, unless she has instructed you to do so. You are increasing your risk of getting pseudomembranous colitis. That's an infection caused by overgrowth of 'bad' bacteria when the 'good' bacteria is killed by antibiotics. It's not actually the 'bad' bacteria that causes the problem, but the toxins that they release.

Eat live active culture yogurt, that will help the 'good' bacteria. Or take lactobacillus tablets. That will also help the good bacteria.

#12 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 05 May 2007 - 11:42 PM

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help!

Alright, so here is my sorta updated regimen:

Morning:
Take 1 Septra DS
Wash face with Oxy BP
Apply Klaron

Night:
Take 1 Septra DS
Wash Face with Neutrogena Foaming SA
Apply the Benzamycin

The only thing I got from my Derm was the Klaron. My family doctor was the one who prescribed the Septra, Mino, Differin, and Benzamycin.

My derm kinda pisses me off because he takes no longer than 30 secs to examine my face, and just suggests to keep taking my mino and klaron.

I will see him in about 2 weeks. (May 14). Is there anything you guys would recommend I ask him prescribe me? Either orally or topical? I really want some Accutane and Tazorac!

Question:
When you guys apply the topical, do you guys gently rub it in for absorption or just apply a think layer on top?

Thanks!

#13 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE(thetruth24 @ May 6 2007, 01:42 AM) View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your help!

Alright, so here is my sorta updated regimen:

Morning:
Take 1 Septra DS
Wash face with Oxy BP
Apply Klaron

Night:
Take 1 Septra DS
Wash Face with Neutrogena Foaming SA
Apply the Benzamycin

The only thing I got from my Derm was the Klaron. My family doctor was the one who prescribed the Septra, Mino, Differin, and Benzamycin.

My derm kinda pisses me off because he takes no longer than 30 secs to examine my face, and just suggests to keep taking my mino and klaron.

I will see him in about 2 weeks. (May 14). Is there anything you guys would recommend I ask him prescribe me? Either orally or topical? I really want some Accutane and Tazorac!

Question:
When you guys apply the topical, do you guys gently rub it in for absorption or just apply a think layer on top?

Thanks!

Apply thin layer of all topicals. They don't need gentle rubbing. smile.gif Good luck and hope you clear up! Most derms are cautious in their approach, most doctors are, too. They want to try the standard things first and if those don't work, they will go for different treatments.
Truthfully, all the derm really needs is just a few seconds of looking at someone's face to see how the treatment is progressing. However, if your dermatologist does not spend time answering your questions and you feel he does not listen, I would find another one.

#14 iceprodigy

iceprodigy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:10 AM

in terms of topicals, i highly recommend tazorac. i would suggest taking the antibiotic for a good month before you start the retinoid. the build up of the antibiotic in your system should prevent or significantly reduce the initial breakout. so i would stick with your bactrim until about june 1st, and then add tazorac .05% once a day. and then after a month of that switch to .1% once a day. remember to put a VERY VERY thin layer on. it works less and destroys your skin texture if you put too much. i spent a year putting too much on and i've fixed it and my skin has gotten a thousand times better. also, if you have oily skin, use the gel, if you have dry skin, use the cream.

#15 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hey guys,

thanks for all the help.

I have a question though. I am on Batrium, and it seems to be working. However, I want to do accutane because I dont wanna be on an antibiotic for the rest of my life, or until I outgrow it.

How will I convince my derm to prescribe me Tane if he thinks these abs are working?

If not tane, then do you think I will have to convince him to prescribe me Tazorac?

Thanks!

#16 Wynne

Wynne

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2007 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(thetruth24 @ May 9 2007, 07:43 PM) View Post
Hey guys,

thanks for all the help.

I have a question though. I am on Batrium, and it seems to be working. However, I want to do accutane because I dont wanna be on an antibiotic for the rest of my life, or until I outgrow it.

How will I convince my derm to prescribe me Tane if he thinks these abs are working?

If not tane, then do you think I will have to convince him to prescribe me Tazorac?

Thanks!

You could present your case to your doctor and say that you are concerned about the development of antibiotic resistant organisms. Or you could say that you have done a bit of research and found that you would really like to try a topical in addition to the antibiotic! Combination therapies have proven extremely successful. Many doctors will listen to their patients.
I did Retin A many many years ago. When I had another outbreak a few years ago, I got an appointment with my regular doctor for bronchitis (that was the real reason for visit) but also asked if he could prescribe Retin A and Clindamycin topical since I had great results with those two combined. He did, he also prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic that works for skin infections as well as bronchitis. The good docs will listen if you present a good case, not just "Hey, I heard on TV that this stuff really works, can I try it?" smile.gif
Good luck, I wish you clear skin!

#17 thetruth24

thetruth24

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:37 PM

Hey Wynne!

Thanks for the input! Much is appreciated. I see my derm next monday, and he SEEMS like a reasonable derm.

So ill probably push for Tane first, and if I can't get it, Ill go for Tazorac. But if he is unwilling to even prescribe me that, Ill go find another Derm!

I'm not sure what kind of acne I have. Certainly a few blackheads on the temples, and these bumps under the skin. Theyre not inflamed but when I sweat, the red shows. I'm not sure whether theyre cysts or papules or pustules.

Thanks!

#18 Talyubittu

Talyubittu

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 13 May 2007 - 03:52 PM

I take two of these pills a day, one in the morning and one at night.

Where this keeps my MAJOR breakouts under control, the regimen keeps the smaller breakouts under control, so I"m virtually acne free! Just make sure you drink TONS of water with this for the best effect smile.gif