5 replies to this topic

#1 hannaher

hannaher

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

Hi Guys

Does any one know whether CLA - conjugated linoleic acid will cause acne breakouts? I've been 100% clear on the regimen now for 6 weeks. I dont want to screw it up....

#2 hannaher

hannaher

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

Similarly - I want to start taking a multivitamin. I've selected one that does not have iodine in it. I learned the hard way about that one. Its a vitamin and mineral supplement with Vitamin B complex, Biotin and Zinc. Other big items on the list are Vitamin A, E, D, folic acid, magnesium selenium, chromium, potassium. Does that sound safe ?

Thanks in advance for your response!

#3 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Loving a Princess.

Posted 22 May 2007 - 08:25 AM

CON

Is CLA an Essential Nutrient?

CLA is not an essential nutrient. It is, like monounsaturated (n-9) and saturated fatty acids, a non-essential fatty acid. It is not required for human health. This means that, unlike the n-6 and n-3 EFAs, which we cannot live without, we can live on a CLA-free diet a whole life time and continue to be healthy. CLA is also a trans- fatty acid.

To be fair, the 9c,11t-18:2 (the letter "t" after the number "11" in this designation means: "trans") isomer of CLA found in milk fat and beef appears to be one of the more easily digested trans- fatty acids, and is therefore less toxic than the types of trans- fatty acids found in margarine, shortening, and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils. However, CLA interferes with the conversion of EFAs (especially n-6) to derivatives from which the body makes the eicosanoid (prostaglandin) hormones.8 This should concern low fat dieters, who already get too little n-6 EFA, LA. It should also concern those who use flax oil exclusively, because they get too much n-3 in comparison to their intake of n-6, and CLA will make their low n-6 status even worse.

PROS

January 2001 -- Major news for people with thyroid problems who are facing weight loss challenges is the news that the natural dietary supplement conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) reduces body fat in people who are overweight.

Increases metabolic rate -- This would obviously be a positive benefit for thyroid patients, as hypothyroidism -- even when treated -- can reduce the metabolic rate in some people.
Decreases abdominal fat -- Adrenal imbalances and hormonal shifts that are common in thyroid patients frequently cause rapid accumulation of abdominal fat, so this benefit could be quite helpful.
Enhances muscle growth -- Muscle burns fat, which also contributes to increased metabolism, which is useful in weight loss and management.
Lowers cholesterol and triglycerides -- Since many thyroid patients have elevated cholesterol and triglyceride levels, even with treatment, this benefit can have an impact on a thyroid patient's health.
Lowers insulin resistance -- Insulin resistance is a risk for some hypothyroid patients, and lowering it can also help prevent adult-onset diabetes and make it easier to control weight.
Reduces food-induced allergic reactions -- Since food allergies can be at play when weight loss becomes difficult, this can be of help to thyroid patients.
Enhances immune system -- Since most cases of thyroid disease are autoimmune in nature, enhancing the immune system's ability to function properly is a positive benefit.

#4 NdnRomeo

NdnRomeo

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE(jodiat @ May 22 2007, 09:25 AM) View Post
CLA interferes with the conversion of EFAs (especially n-6) to derivatives from which the body makes the eicosanoid (prostaglandin) hormones

Wow, I was scared reading that at first, then realized it could be quite beneficial. You know how? If you supplement with omega 3's (which don't need conversion since it's already epa and dha), this supplement will stop o6 conversions to become bad prostaglandins (from AA) which will make 03 even more effective! biggrin.gif

eusa_think.gif

#5 alternativista

alternativista

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:43 AM

It's my understanding that essential/non-essential doesn't refer to whether we can live without it, it refers to whether our bodies can make it or if it must be consumed. Our bodies can make Omega 9s. And we make the nonessential amino acids.

#6 jodiat

jodiat

Unwavering Protector

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 9
About Me
  • Interests:Loving a Princess.

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:55 AM

Maybe Romeo but I read that as it lowers EFA absobing Omega 6 so in time youd have too much Omega 3 (in my diet I get Omega 3 from fish, 4 tablespoons in Tota EFA and 4 Omega 3 eggs lol) but ive ordered some and will try them out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users