Photo

How long did you stay clear after Bactrim?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 lucky girl

lucky girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 12 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

For those people who have taken bactrim successfully without an allergic reaction, how long did you take it for and how long did you stay clear for?

I took it long term as a teenager asn stayed clear for years. Then I started getting hormonal acne after children and ended up on Roaccutane. I used Bactrim though for a month before the Roaccutane to calm my breakout so as not to get an IB on Roaccutane and it worked well then too. I am wondering, as I am starting to get some pimples back again ten months after Roaccutane, if I should just go on Bactrim long term again instead of Roaccutane for a second time, or would I get a better result from Roaccutane by taking a second course of that ?????

#2 Da Real BucK

Da Real BucK

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:13 AM

I've been on it about 2 weeks now.. still averaging 1 cyst and 1-2 big white heads at a time. How long do you think til it fully kicks in with its best results? Also I have heard we can build resistance to these anti biotics, so when do you think that will come into play?

#3 lucky girl

lucky girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:52 PM

Not sure as everyone different. My skin stopped breaking out within two weeks of taking it. I think it takes ages to buile a resistance but not sure.

#4 Ravenous

Ravenous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2007 - 07:36 PM

I've been taking Bactrim since... Dec '06, I think, and I'm almost 100% clear (save for some blackheads on my nose and chin, but that's no big deal), and it's like... really, really strange when I get a pimple. I got a pimple last week for the first time in about 2 months, and I freaked out but it disappeared in literally a day. So I cannot say enough about Bactrim, it has made a TREMENDOUS difference in how I feel about myself, not to mention my acne. I used to be on acne.org every single day searching desperately for an answer, but since I got on Bactrim I think I've been here... 3, maybe 4 times total, and only b/c I just wanted to see what was going on.

Before I cleared up w/Bactrim I had probably.. mild/moderate acne, with really painful, red, hard pimples on my cheekbones and cheeks, and a lot of little comedones under my skin. On a bad day I probably had... 10-15 small to large pimples. It wasn't HORRIBLE, but it physically hurt as well as mentally.

If anyone is considering Bactrim I would recommend it over and over and over and over... but of course, not everyone can take it b/c of the possibility of an allergic reaction.

Anyway, I'm sure this is TMI, but I just thought I'd chime in. smile.gif

#5 soul78

soul78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:03 PM

How long did it take before you saw some noticeable results with Bactrim? I am at 2 weeks and things seem worse then before.

Did you use any topicals with Bactrim?
Stopped Accutane due to sudden onset of intense flushing.

#6 Ravenous

Ravenous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(soul78 @ Apr 16 2007, 11:03 PM) View Post
How long did it take before you saw some noticeable results with Bactrim? I am at 2 weeks and things seem worse then before.

Did you use any topicals with Bactrim?

To be honest, I can't quite recall how long it took me to see results, but I seem to think that within a month I was noticing some definite improvement.

I do use Differin cream 1x a day; I tried the gel, but it was a bit too drying for me.

#7 lucky girl

lucky girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

I noticed improvement within two weeks on Bactrim and yes i use and used a topical called Eryacne gel. That's great ravenous. How much longer are you staying on it? Let me know how your skin goes when you stop. Is there anyone else that has stopped? How long did your skin stay clear?

#8 Ravenous

Ravenous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 16 April 2007 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE(lucky girl @ Apr 16 2007, 11:36 PM) View Post
I noticed improvement within two weeks on Bactrim and yes i use and used a topical called Eryacne gel. That's great ravenous. How much longer are you staying on it? Let me know how your skin goes when you stop. Is there anyone else that has stopped? How long did your skin stay clear?

Good to hear there's other people benefiting from Bactrim. smile.gif

To be honest, I don't really know how much longer I'm supposed to stay on it. My dermatologist seems to be a firm believer of "Stay on it as long as it works." so... I don't know, I guess I'll continue using it until I either start breaking out again or just decide to stop. There is a possibility that I've grown out of the worst of my acne (I'm 22), so I'll probably cut back on the Bactrim w/in the next... 6 months or so and then maybe eventually just go off it.

Anything else that's stopped? Well... I never really had body acne; I would very occasionally get a pimple on my back, and that doesn't seem to be happening at all, so I guess the Bactrim may be helping that. And my skin has been clear for over a year, and still is!

#9 kristifire

kristifire

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 18
About Me

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:32 PM

wow, i'm surprised that you all got it on month supplies...

the first time I got it, i only got it for a week, but that week, was sheer bliss. Cut down in nearly half the size of my cyst...

second time i got it, was for 14 days...
then I took it with klaron as the topical (sulfur..) i don't recommend anyone trying that w/o the doc's consent...lol...
that worked really well too, but he didn't wanna give it back to me again

third time, was for 20 or 21 days....
and i got a lecture along with it..."find a dermatologist, we can't keep prescribing this to you"...
that one worked too... i was happy with it, but no one wanted to give it to me for long term. Not even the derm I've got now.

fastforward to depo shot time, (same school health center that denied me more times....lol)
got a 30 days supply. But I've kinda chicken out..didn't know what was giving me side effect.. the depo or the septra (bactrim).....but i don't want an IB, so I might go back on it .... anyone know if it would have negative side effects on the blood work???...lol

but umm.. i guess depending on what imbalance you have,.. or your tolerance to the medication,... is the basis for how long it takes to work.

Maybe it was just in my head, but I thought it was working almost instantaneously...I was really happy on it...(kept going crazy thinking I saw a rash, but I just (literally) carried a bottle of benedryll with me, children's liquid... just in case anything were to happen.

(nothing did though... still unopened)...smile.gif

#10 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

if i were you i'd just try topicals, then if that doesn't work go back on accutane, i think accutane is a much better option than bactrim.

#11 soul78

soul78

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:01 PM

Yes, I know what you mean. I have been taking my temperature daily since beginning Bartrim because oI am very paranoid of SJS and TENS.

I have a 1 month supply of the standard dose (twice daily) but have been taking a double dose at night for about a week. So I am taking Bactrim DS at night and one regular strength in the morning. This will be up in 20 days.

What doses are or have people (been) taking?

From what I have read, I think once you are clear it is recommended you drop down to one a day for maintenance and then drop off after a couple of months. I know this is not a good drug to be on long term due to health issues (hard on your liver). HOwever, I have also read that it is the least likely to become resistant to of all acne antibiotics, meaning it will work for quite a long time in most cases.

Once/if I clear enough I plan on stopping. Worst case scenario, you go back on it to clear again. Better safe then sorry.

Stopped Accutane due to sudden onset of intense flushing.

#12 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 17 April 2007 - 10:11 PM

maybe just try a short course of bactrim for now, and it seems to be working just use that, if not go on accutane.

#13 Ravenous

Ravenous

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE(Ravenous @ Apr 16 2007, 11:48 PM) View Post
QUOTE(lucky girl @ Apr 16 2007, 11:36 PM) View Post

Good to hear there's other people benefiting from Bactrim. smile.gif

To be honest, I don't really know how much longer I'm supposed to stay on it. My dermatologist seems to be a firm believer of "Stay on it as long as it works." so... I don't know, I guess I'll continue using it until I either start breaking out again or just decide to stop. There is a possibility that I've grown out of the worst of my acne (I'm 22), so I'll probably cut back on the Bactrim w/in the next... 6 months or so and then maybe eventually just go off it.

Anything else that's stopped? Well... I never really had body acne; I would very occasionally get a pimple on my back, and that doesn't seem to be happening at all, so I guess the Bactrim may be helping that. And my skin has been clear for over a year, and still is!

Bizarre. Maybe my doctor is just more... liberal with drug usage, so to speak. I know she said to me the first time she prescribed me Bactrim (and it was for a 3 month supply) that Bactrim was a really great drug back in like the 80s and it's suddenly coming back and proving itself to be an awesome acne-fighting drug, so clearly she likes it.

But yeah, I've just been getting a continual supply of it ever since Dec of '05 (I think I said '06 earlier but I got my years screwed up) and have been taking it every day.

Dunno. Hopefully I don't end up w/some horrible problem for taking it for so long. smile.gif

#14 lucky girl

lucky girl

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:16 PM

I know that there is the risk of allergic reaction on Bactrim and other side effects so it is a 'scary' antibiotic to go on but Roaccutane is also quite a strong 'scary'drug too. I think they should both be taken with caution really, but for those who con't get a reaction from Bactrim it is a fantastic cure. I have taken both long term and, from what I remember of my Bactrim course (about 6 months 17 years ago), I had none of the side effects that I got with Roaccutane like svere dryness, sore eyes, leg aches etc. - just no pimples and it lasted for a few years after that too. That's why I am asking now how many people have had no acne after stopping Bactrim and for how long have they stayed clear. I would take either of them again as the end results of both are good but 10 months out of Roaccutane and I am starting to get more oil and some pimples so if Bactrim is the better long term cure maybe I would go for that if needed next time.

Kristifire, I felt like I was getting instant results from Bactrim too and I had completely stopped breaking out within two weeks, even 10 days I think. (this was when I took a months course prior to starting Roaccutane, not the course I took 17 years ago as i can't remember that well)

#15 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:16 AM

Sorry for bumping a month old thread, but damn... Even though i'm going on accutane in a month, I kinda want to try this stuff eusa_shifty.gif I'm on minocycline in the meantime though until I get on accutane. Shoot, if I would have known about bactrim, I would have asked for that rather than mino.

[sig-img:132]

Mandy's regimen
Finacea
Aspirin Masks often
Controlling Insulin Levels
Lots of supplements

my story
Feel free to visit my accutane log.

#16 Libertine.

Libertine.

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:00 PM

QUOTE(Mandy Ann @ May 7 2007, 04:16 PM) View Post
Sorry for bumping a month old thread, but damn... Even though i'm going on accutane in a month, I kinda want to try this stuff eusa_shifty.gif I'm on minocycline in the meantime though until I get on accutane. Shoot, if I would have known about bactrim, I would have asked for that rather than mino.

Yeah, i agree, i'd never even heard of this stuff until a week ago and from reading on here it seems that the results are awesome. I'm looking to get off dans regimen and onto an antibiotic and was thinking about tetracycline but this looks even better albeit with stronger side effects. Hmm..reckon i'll have to ask my doc about this.

#17 kristifire21

kristifire21

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE(Mandy Ann @ May 7 2007, 09:16 AM) View Post

the soldyn worked for me (extended release mino) ... but the bactrim worked faster....Its just too bad that I needed about 10 times the time I was allowed on it, thats how much it helped.

But don't worry, once you start the accutane you'll notice results within a week... I am smile.gif

bactrim... I noticed in... about... 3 days. (my cysts started going down tremendously)

#18 Mandy Ann

Mandy Ann

Dick Laurent is Dead....

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 67
About Me

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:00 PM

Wow 3 days?! DAMNIT, why didn't I know about this stuff before hand lol.gif Oh well, i'll stick to my minocyclin for now until I get on accutane... which should be in exactly 30 days hopefully, if they entered me in the computer yet dry.gif You seen results within a week of accutane? Thats awesome biggrin.gif I hope the same goes for me. I'll be starting off on 20 mg, so hopefully I wont be getting an initial breakout, and hopefully my birth control will have kicked in by then.

[sig-img:132]

Mandy's regimen
Finacea
Aspirin Masks often
Controlling Insulin Levels
Lots of supplements

my story
Feel free to visit my accutane log.

#19 S2000

S2000

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:00 AM

How much would Bactrim and Duac run on me (i dont have insurance) ?? anyone help ?