Photo

birth control....for a 14 year old?

birth control

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 catrat242

catrat242

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 1
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:31 PM

Yeah so I was wondering,would you reccomend putting a 14 year-old girl on birth control,for her acne?

i ask because my derm. has put me on Differin Gel (the Cream didnt do anything) and a pill called Erythrom.I've been on them for about a month,and they both seemed to have "stopped working", like everything else I have used/tried

yeah so,do you think it'd be a good idea for me? or is it to young an age for birth control?

#2 adi0597

adi0597

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE(catrat242 @ Mar 27 2007, 08:31 PM) View Post
Yeah so I was wondering,would you reccomend putting a 14 year-old girl on birth control,for her acne?

i ask because my derm. has put me on Differin Gel (the Cream didnt do anything) and a pill called Erythrom.I've been on them for about a month,and they both seemed to have "stopped working", like everything else I have used/tried

yeah so,do you think it'd be a good idea for me? or is it to young an age for birth control?

way too young to be messing with hormone changes....

#3 catrat242

catrat242

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:45 PM

QUOTE(adi0597 @ Mar 27 2007, 04:40 PM) View Post

well there goes that idea

lol thanks biggrin.gif

#4 ShakeYoBooty

ShakeYoBooty

• New Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:03 PM

Did the doctor suggest this to you or it's your own idea?

#5 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

QUOTE(catrat242 @ Mar 27 2007, 04:45 PM) View Post
QUOTE(adi0597 @ Mar 27 2007, 04:40 PM) View Post

well there goes that idea

lol thanks biggrin.gif

that's according to one person on a message board, ask your doctor.

#6 miss.chaNel

miss.chaNel

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 3
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

Well I've been on it for almost 2 years and it had done nothing for me,made me break out more if you ask me.

I have a few friends who have been on it for something like 4 years and it does nothing for acne. I'm not saying that it won't work for you, I just haven't known anyone who says it helped them.

not even you have been as much of a bitch as MsChanel.

#7 Master_Z

Master_Z

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:41 PM

Too many problems could arise from doing this. I recommend you try other solutions. How bad is your acne? If its mild, then just try something else. Talk to your derm if its worse.

#8 JR86

JR86

I've gotta go, i cut my foot earlier and my shoe is filling

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE(miss.chaNel @ Mar 27 2007, 05:32 PM) View Post
Well I've been on it for almost 2 years and it had done nothing for me,made me break out more if you ask me.

I have a few friends who have been on it for something like 4 years and it does nothing for acne. I'm not saying that it won't work for you, I just haven't known anyone who says it helped them.

what are you on, i know there are some that are good for acne and some that are bad for acne. my friend is on birth control and her acne cleared up completely, but she is also on duac and differin so that may have something to do with it too.

#9 catrat242

catrat242

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:27 PM

QUOTE(ShakeYoBooty @ Mar 27 2007, 05:03 PM) View Post
Did the doctor suggest this to you or it's your own idea?

its my own idea biggrin.gif

#10 LionQueen

LionQueen

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 4
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

If you are seriously considering this idea, I think you should do a little reading.

I'm going to move this thread over to Prescription Medications/Hormonal .... you should get some more good replies there, and I strongly recommend you look through the other threads in the forum.
Retired from Acne.org

#11 Lainey321

Lainey321

Fingers crossed X new regimen 5/1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

I personally think if you are not sexually active I would try other things to cure your acne. Also, before you are put on BC pills you will have to have a thorough exam.

BC pills are a double edge sword. They work to make periods more managable & clear skin but they are hard on your liver and have other nasty side effects, moodiness, weight gain, etc. I speak from experience. I was on BC pills for a number of years and two years ago they found tumors on my liver...they were adenomas (which are not serious) but my dr's say they are from oral contraceptives.

If you need them, then by all means take them but if there are other alternatives out there maybe give those a shot shrug.gif

Good luck finding an answer!
Obagi Nu Derm as of 9/27/07.

Old regimen cleared up the acne well. Now for the scarring and red marks
Regimen as of 5/1/07:
Morning:
Keflex 250 mg orally
Clenia Wash
Clindamycin topically

Afternoon:
Clenia wash
apply NeoBenz
Keflex 250 mg

Bedtime:
Apply Finacea

What is the true definition of the word trust?
One cannibal giving another cannibal a blow job

#12 cool as kim deal

cool as kim deal

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 16
About Me

Posted 27 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

I haven't found BCPs to be a great way of dealing with my acne. I personally wouldn't recommend going on the pill to treat your acne unless you are using it for other purposes like not getting pregnant or needing it to be on accutane.
Keeping me clear, morning and night: Acne.org Cleanser, Acne.org Jojoba Oil after cleansing but before BP all over face, 1 1/2 pumps of Acne.org benzoyl peroxide, Acne.org moisturizer (morning only), Banana Boat Baby Sunblock SPF 50 (morning only), JASON 5000 IU Vitamin E Revitalizing Moisturizing Cream around eyes only, Acne.org AHA+ Acne.org Salicylic Acid+ beta version (night only)<br />
<br />
My advice for Acne.org Regimen beginners - Using jojoba oil as a mask/scrub to remove flakes and moisturize dry skin - Summary of exfoliation methods to try with the regimen<br />
<br />
Not here as often anymore, so for the timeliest advice, post your questions on the forums for the whole community to help out with rather than contacting me directly :)

#13 beentheredonethat

beentheredonethat

Ribbit!

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

If you are old enough to have a period, you are old enough for hormonal birth control imo, and according to my doctor when i was 13. Especially if your acne conforms to the classic hormonal pattern - cysts confined to the chin and jawline that cycle along with menstruation. If your acne is more generalized, it is unlikely to help much if any.
Currently - all clear!
Maintaining my last Accutane course (10/05-04/06) click here for log
Yasmin on Seasonale schedule
Green Cream lvl 6
Shiseido White Lucent system
(cleanser, and SPF 16 moisturizer (no way, SPF that doesn't sting!?))

#14 It's Lauren yo

It's Lauren yo

<3

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

QUOTE(Lainey321 @ Mar 27 2007, 07:39 PM) View Post
I personally think if you are not sexually active I would try other things to cure your acne. Also, before you are put on BC pills you will have to have a thorough exam.

BC pills are a double edge sword. They work to make periods more managable & clear skin but they are hard on your liver and have other nasty side effects, moodiness, weight gain, etc. I speak from experience. I was on BC pills for a number of years and two years ago they found tumors on my liver...they were adenomas (which are not serious) but my dr's say they are from oral contraceptives.

If you need them, then by all means take them but if there are other alternatives out there maybe give those a shot shrug.gif

I didnt have to have the exam. I put off asking about birth control to my doctor cause i didnt want the exam but then i went to the derm and she gave me the presciption just like that. And i hope it makes me gain weight cause i dont gain a pound from anything i eat so the side effects arent always a bad thing. Of course the tumor thing doesnt make me happy.
[My Regimen]

- cetaphil cleanser (normal to oily)
- pat dry
- ceraVe moisturizing lotion

I'm done with freakin' topicals.

Daily: Yasmin BC - started 3/25/07

Sunblock - Neutrogena ultra sheer dry-touch
sunblock spf 45

#15 Lainey321

Lainey321

Fingers crossed X new regimen 5/1

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:14 PM

Your derm gave you BC pills. Wow!

Obagi Nu Derm as of 9/27/07.

Old regimen cleared up the acne well. Now for the scarring and red marks
Regimen as of 5/1/07:
Morning:
Keflex 250 mg orally
Clenia Wash
Clindamycin topically

Afternoon:
Clenia wash
apply NeoBenz
Keflex 250 mg

Bedtime:
Apply Finacea

What is the true definition of the word trust?
One cannibal giving another cannibal a blow job

#16 liveyourlife

liveyourlife

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 06:51 PM

I'm 14, and on birth control. My derm. prescribed it to me only after giving me a nice long talk about 'don't have sex, your antibiotics make it not work anyway, you WILL get pregnant' and blah dee blah. So after all that, he gave me the prescription, and said that I can think about before I fill it, and absolutely don't have to fill it. Well of course I filled it, I'd do anything to get rid of my acne, besides my cramps can be severe to the point where I can't move. Birth control has been AMAZING so far! Almost onto my 3rd pack, in about a week. Around the end of the 3rd or 4th pack I'm supposed to find out if it's going to work or not. So far I think it's probably going to work for me! Of course I was using topicals, (duac and differin) and 100mg of doxycycline for 4 months before I went in and asked for a change in something.

However, if your acne isn't hormonal related, birth control is going to make it either worse, or have no effect at all. Make sure you know if your acne is hormonal or not, and discuss it with your dermatologist. smile.gif

QUOTE(Lainey321 @ Mar 27 2007, 05:39 PM) View Post

Not all brands are like this..
Morning
- Queen Helene Oatmeal scrub
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Night
- Alba Sea Organics Cleanser
- Differin .01% Gel
- Ortho Tri-cyclen

I've been with this plan for years, keeps me mostly clear!

#17 ILoveMyPuppy

ILoveMyPuppy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

wow too young and not enough experience in trying different products, you should result to pills at such an early age, plus you are 14 by the way, you still have a long ways to go

#18 liveyourlife

liveyourlife

Veteran Member

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(Shakirafan @ Mar 28 2007, 07:43 PM) View Post
wow too young and not enough experience in trying different products, you should result to pills at such an early age, plus you are 14 by the way, you still have a long ways to go

why not start solving your acne earlier if it's an option? I've had acne since age 11 and it went to almost severe and then got on topicals, antibiotics and finally birth control and my acne is now finally under control. I don't think age is a big factor in birth control, as long as the girl is mature enough to know that you shouldn't have sex!
Morning
- Queen Helene Oatmeal scrub
- Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream

Night
- Alba Sea Organics Cleanser
- Differin .01% Gel
- Ortho Tri-cyclen

I've been with this plan for years, keeps me mostly clear!

#19 ILoveMyPuppy

ILoveMyPuppy

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(tonga @ Mar 28 2007, 09:06 PM) View Post
QUOTE(Shakirafan @ Mar 28 2007, 07:43 PM) View Post

why not start solving your acne earlier if it's an option? I've had acne since age 11 and it went to almost severe and then got on topicals, antibiotics and finally birth control and my acne is now finally under control. I don't think age is a big factor in birth control, as long as the girl is mature enough to know that you shouldn't have sex!

she also needs to consider different options and not go straight into pills especially birth control that have many side effects. Whether she starts young or older it all depends on her gene structure since we dont know the reason for her acne. Since it could be hormonal and it may not so, no need to jump in to birth control since it has very minimal effect on acne, its main job is to keep from pregnancy and regulate peroid. Not acne! She should really consider other alternatives before getting on the pill, and look at different solutions especially since its her "own idea"

#20 sufferinginpa

sufferinginpa

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:05 AM

I'm actually a little surprised by some comments. I agree you should really really think it through. I went on OTC when I was 15 to regulate my period and ease cramps. I was on it for 5 years and loved every minute of it. I had no cramps, pimples, weight gain...when I started having sex I had one less thing to worry about. BC is not for everyone and as you grow your hormones change. I can't take OTC now b/c my hormones have really changed after having kids.

The average age girls start becoming sexually active in the US is 15 currently so taking the pill isn't that rare for that age group. PLEASE NOTE, I personally think it's way too young but that's just me.