Photo

Amway manuka honey

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Why me??

Why me??

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

First let me say I've been applying honey (ordinary, not manuka) on my face twice a day for around 20 minutes each for more than 2 weeks now, and my skin has improved quite a lot.

Now I've run out of my pure and raw organic honey, and it's hard to find a replacement because most of the honey I see on the market is thick, which my mom says is most probably because its boiled with sugar and thus not pure.

My mom ordered Manuka Honey from Amway, which I know to be a reputable company. I called them up and they have said that their honey is pure and raw with no additives. I want to ask you people about your opinion: Is Amway's Manuka Honey all right?

I think it's this that my mom ordered, since they said it has antibacterial properties (though I thought all honey has?):
http://www.amway2u.c...all_proddet.jsp

Also, what if I apply those non-pure, sugar-boiled honey on my face? Will it just work less effectively or will it just make my skin worse?

#2 Why me??

Why me??

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:24 AM

bump.

#3 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:44 AM

No, it shouldn't make your skin worse. All the truly raw/unfiltered honeys I've tried have been very thick - so I'm not sure if your mom's theory is correct. All honey states whether or not it is pure, the grade, and the country(s) of origin on the bottle, sometimes you have to do a little searching though. I can't see the amway product, the link does not work.
It is like a reason that picks you up
And places you
Where you always wanted
To be.

*Moderator edit - Linking to websites other than Acne.org in your signature is not allowed*

#4 Why me??

Why me??

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:13 AM

Hmm, try this link: http://www.amway2u.c...a...0&cat2=1040
It's the first one on the list.

Nature€™s Healing Nectar

Highly sought after for its healing qualities, Manuka honey contains naturally occurring properties not found in other types of honey. This powerful and more stable antibacterial property, known as Unique Manuka Factor, was first discovered by Dr Peter Molan (MBE) of Waikato University€™s Honey Research Unit and is only present in some strains of Manuka honey.

In his studies, Dr Peter Molan discovered that:

* UMF Manuka honey is more potent than other types of honey to treat infection.
* UMF Manuka honey is stable and there is no concern of the Manuka honey losing its activity in storage.
* UMF is active even in undiluted honey. This diffuses more antibacterial action into the depth of infected tissue, which makes it suitable for wound dressing.

You can identify Manuka honey with this special antibacterial property by its UMF label. This label guarantees that the Manuka honey contains the antibacterial property to at least the level indicated on the label.

I just got it. It's stated 100% pure manuka honey and it's really thick, and the colur isn't of the normal clear gold-brown colour of ordinary honey, it's murky yellow-brown. It has UMF (unique manuka factor, some active antibacterial preperty I think) of 18+ which is very high.

It's very thick so I find it hard trying to spread it out on my face. Can I dilute it with some water?

And how long should I leave it on my face before washing it off? I usually leave it on for about 20-40 minutes... is this fine?

#5 ayla

ayla

dum spiro, spero

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 6
About Me

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

A UMF of 18 is excellent! I wouldn't dilute it with water, studies show that dilution with exudate/oil/water/etc. reduce honey's natural antibacterial effects. Try a warm pan of water, slightly warmer than skin temp. Submerge the bottle, tightly closed of course, and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. This should soften it up enough to spread easily without cooking the honey. Unfiltered honey is always murky - I see it as a good thing. The timing is completely up to you - as they say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it wink.gif
It is like a reason that picks you up
And places you
Where you always wanted
To be.

*Moderator edit - Linking to websites other than Acne.org in your signature is not allowed*

#6 Why me??

Why me??

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE(ayla @ Mar 23 2007, 12:12 AM) View Post
A UMF of 18 is excellent! I wouldn't dilute it with water, studies show that dilution with exudate/oil/water/etc. reduce honey's natural antibacterial effects. Try a warm pan of water, slightly warmer than skin temp. Submerge the bottle, tightly closed of course, and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes. This should soften it up enough to spread easily without cooking the honey. Unfiltered honey is always murky - I see it as a good thing. The timing is completely up to you - as they say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it wink.gif

Wow thanks a lot. I was wondering, what's the difference between ordinary honey and manuka honey? Aside from the fact that manuka honey comes from manuka plant nectar and has stronger anti-bacterial properties.

#7 Cubos

Cubos

Hello :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:03 AM

how you finding it?
Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~ Roald Dahl

#8 Why me??

Why me??

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2007 - 05:35 AM

So far so good. Skin feels smoother and less oily, spots are all clearing up, though this could probably be due to my recent healthy diet + sleeping earlier + less masturbating lol. But I do believe the honey helps.

I still have lots of red marks/PIH and it's really frustrating but at breakouts are less frequent now. There is still one or two spots appearing now and then but they are never inflammatory. It's usually small and dries up fast.

But I have to say, I think my regular pure, raw honey (which I cant find anywhere now) works slightly better, because it's less thick and much easier to apply on the face, and it smoothens my face better than the manuka variant. However for preventing new acne spots, I find manuka better.

#9 Cubos

Cubos

Hello :)

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
    Gallery Images: 19
About Me

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:36 AM

Twice a day is pretty hardcore. You should try cutting it down to 3 times a week or something.

But i'm glad its working for you, keep it updated.
Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. ~ Roald Dahl

#10 Why me??

Why me??

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 04 April 2007 - 06:43 AM

twice a day is too much? really? I didnt know that, maybe I'll try cutting down to once a day and see.

#11 Cullencrazy

Cullencrazy

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:22 AM

Hey. I'm just wondering, cause I read in heaps of sites that Manuka honey can cure acne. But everything says 100% Manuka honey. My problem is, I asked my mom to buy me Manuka honey down the grocery and, yeah, she bought be Manuka honey. BUT, the label says "Manuka honey with wildflower." AND at the back it said 40% Manuka. That's it. It's not 100%. Will it still work? My mom won't buy me another jar of Manuka honey. She said I have to finish the one she bought first. Please tell me, will it still be effective on acne??? I really want my face to clear up before school starts. neutral.gif neutral.gif neutral.gif

#12 RiceKitty

RiceKitty

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 07 December 2010 - 12:44 AM

Honeys great for healing!

wub.gif

#13 Thehoper

Thehoper

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Achievements

Posted 07 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

Haha nice bump. Yeah I'm a total manuka fan. It's all I use now. If I feel like it, cleanse with organic plain yogurt, then manuka honey and sometimes a dash of cinammon.