Photo

Initial breakout after fraxel

fraxel

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 Loanstar

Loanstar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:11 PM

Hi just wondering if anyone has experienced a bad breakout after having fraxel treatment. This always happens to me after each treatment. Its like pustules of some sort and they can be a bit sore. I am on antibiotics to control acne whilst having fraxel, so i dont know why im breaking out so bad. It usually appears the day after treatment but clears up a few days later.

Does anyone else experience this? eusa_think.gif

#2 zonk

zonk

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

QUOTE(Loanstar @ Mar 19 2007, 01:11 PM) View Post
Hi just wondering if anyone has experienced a bad breakout after having fraxel treatment. This always happens to me after each treatment. Its like pustules of some sort and they can be a bit sore. I am on antibiotics to control acne whilst having fraxel, so i dont know why im breaking out so bad. It usually appears the day after treatment but clears up a few days later.

Does anyone else experience this? eusa_think.gif

In the fraxel thread, there have been a couple people who have experienced this. I think they several went on antibiotics, like you are doing.

#3 jjp007

jjp007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:24 PM

Yes, this seems to be pretty normal for those of us who had agressive treatments. I would get white heads the day after a treatment but they would go away pretty easily. I do still have breakouts over a month after my last treatment sad.gif but these are tiny little white heads and some are just red bumps. Frustrating.

#4 annde1229

annde1229

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:00 PM

Loanstar,
I have experienced major breakouts from Fraxel, but now I have it under control with an antibiotic. I will continue taking it all the way through my series of treatments. I get my Fraxels four weeks apart and I am staying on the therapeutic level the entire time-even in between treatments.
I was not on the prescription until my third Fraxel. I wish my doctor would have suggested it from the beginning even as a precaution. Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Annde

#5 UnHappenstance

UnHappenstance

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:06 AM

Hey, I've had 6 fraxel treatments and have had breakout throughout most of them, small milia and or red spots. I used an anti biotic which helped but not entirely, but then last week I started having terrible pains in my chest, which was acid reflux, a side effect of doxycycline and had to stop taking it. I'm not sure if all the cyclines have this side effect but my sister also experienced this, which was how I knew. But I am scheduled to have another treatment tommorow, and I have a lot of milia and irritated red spots. It's as bad a it has been since I started treatment. I don't really know what to do. Can I still have the treatment even if it is like that? They aren't cysts and I have continued treatments when I was still having these breakouts before but not his bad. Also, are there other anitbiotics I could take besides mino, tetra and doxy?

#6 Loanstar

Loanstar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:02 PM

Hey thanks for all the comments. At least i know im not on my own. Yeah as unhappenstance said it seems to be small milia outbreaks, not acne in my case. My cheeks and jawline (affected areas from fraxel) where covered in lots of them. Just the fact there were so many of them made it quite sore. Glad some of use experienced the same because i was worried it was a bad infection of some sort.

Cheers Ann for the comment ...yeah i guess its safer to be on antibiotics while on fraxel.

Unhappenstance i think u should ask your derm who gives the fraxel what he/she thinks of your outbreak. As long as its not cystic i would assume they could still maybe give u the treatment or possibly work around the irritated spots and milia. Good luck anyways!

#7 fraxelface

fraxelface

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE(Loanstar @ Mar 20 2007, 01:02 PM) View Post
Hey thanks for all the comments. At least i know im not on my own. Yeah as unhappenstance said it seems to be small milia outbreaks, not acne in my case. My cheeks and jawline (affected areas from fraxel) where covered in lots of them. Just the fact there were so many of them made it quite sore. Glad some of use experienced the same because i was worried it was a bad infection of some sort.

Cheers Ann for the comment ...yeah i guess its safer to be on antibiotics while on fraxel.

Unhappenstance i think u should ask your derm who gives the fraxel what he/she thinks of your outbreak. As long as its not cystic i would assume they could still maybe give u the treatment or possibly work around the irritated spots and milia. Good luck anyways!

Hey, I find I get a few breakouts from a direct reaction to the treatment which goes away in a day but not bad. It seems when I use aquafor or vaseline type stuff it gives me the milia and small bumps, so I only use that sparingly on the worst red areas for a couple days then switch to eucerin cream mostly and they seem to resolve pretty quick then.

#8 UnHappenstance

UnHappenstance

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

Since being off the anitbiotic I have been trying to use some face wash to help breakouts, which after the first time surprisingly helped to clear up a lot of the milia, so I started using it regularly but after I'd get done, my skin looked irritated, which was the case with another face wash I used and also if I let the water in the shower hit my face for too long. So I kept using it because although my skin looked irritated it seemed that the milia was continuing to go away. After about 5 days of use (I was applying moisturiser as well like I normally do btw) the irritation was increasing and milia staying the same. So I quit, yesterday, and since then irritation has almost dissipated and milia is doiong better, but not really gone. SO, I might conclude that washing like once a week may be benificial but regularly does more harm than good. I am pretty sure by tommorow if things continue as they are I should be able to have the treatment, just in my opinion, but I really need to talk to my derm about a new antibiotic.

#9 subaru

subaru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:13 AM

I had my first Fraxel SR1500 done yesterday, and it has induced small milia on my chin and parts of my jaw area.

Prior to Fraxel, my chin had very nice skin (small pores, no acne scars). The rest of my face is just very burnt looking and brown. My forehead in particular is covered with pixelated burns, which is sorta interesting but I just hope I peel soon.

To prevent acne breakouts and to help my skin heal, I'm taking a bunch of supplements: vitamin C, fish oil, Murad Youth Builder (multivitamin that hopefully helps with the collagen), Accunaturals (multivitamin that contains acne bacteria-killing berberine, an alkaloid used in traditional Asian medicine), and goldenseal (a source of berberine). I'm also eating lots of fruits, fish and gobo root (aka burdock) which also contains berberine.

#10 subaru

subaru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 29 March 2007 - 12:17 AM

I'm also using the Natragel mask, Bionect (a topical for burns), and two other, moisturizing post-laser topicals my derm's office sells under their name.

#11 subaru

subaru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 30 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

The many milia on my chin have gotten bigger, creating a toady texture on my chin. I've also developed a few milia on my forehead as well.

Since I'd rather not take an antibiotic (I've taken most of them before), my dr's office has suggested I do a SilkPeel and a Smoothbeam next week, at least a week after my Fraxel, to keep the breakout under control and to slough off dead skin.

#12 UnHappenstance

UnHappenstance

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

QUOTE(subaru @ Mar 31 2007, 12:52 AM) View Post
The many milia on my chin have gotten bigger, creating a toady texture on my chin. I've also developed a few milia on my forehead as well.

Since I'd rather not take an antibiotic (I've taken most of them before), my dr's office has suggested I do a SilkPeel and a Smoothbeam next week, at least a week after my Fraxel, to keep the breakout under control and to slough off dead skin.

I cannot stand these breakouts and I am on antibiotics. How long do you think is appropriate to have a peel done. I have had one done before but that was over a month after my treatment.

#13 subaru

subaru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(UnHappenstance @ Mar 31 2007, 09:23 AM) View Post

I cannot stand these breakouts and I am on antibiotics. How long do you think is appropriate to have a peel done. I have had one done before but that was over a month after my treatment.

My dr's office told me I could do the SilkPeel (which is a wet microdermabrasion, in my case using salicylic acid) exactly one week after my Fraxel. However, it looks like I have tiny scabs on my forehead and temples still, so I might wait until those fall off before doing the SilkPeel and Smoothbeam. Luckily some of the milia on my chin fell off while washing my face this morning.

#14 jjp007

jjp007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:10 PM

QUOTE(subaru @ Mar 31 2007, 11:52 AM) View Post
QUOTE(UnHappenstance @ Mar 31 2007, 09:23 AM) View Post

My dr's office told me I could do the SilkPeel (which is a wet microdermabrasion, in my case using salicylic acid) exactly one week after my Fraxel. However, it looks like I have tiny scabs on my forehead and temples still, so I might wait until those fall off before doing the SilkPeel and Smoothbeam. Luckily some of the milia on my chin fell off while washing my face this morning.

My friend did Smoothbeam in between Fraxels to help keep breakouts to a min. The doctor never suggested it to me sad.gif I couldn't afford to do that anyway though. Man these docs are making a killing off of us. wacko.gif

#15 UnHappenstance

UnHappenstance

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:06 PM

yeah I hear that. I was just thinking of other ways and thought about using B5. I know there can be side effect like hair loss and such but I have never used it. Since it decreases the amount of oil your skin produces does that mean it would not be a good idea to use during scar treatments?

#16 subaru

subaru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 12:52 AM

Anybody know if we could use blue light or red light therapy pre- or post-Fraxel?

Here's a blue/red/violet light pen that helps prevent and treat breakouts:
http://www.drugstore...p...983&tab=1#1

#17 subaru

subaru

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:07 PM

btw, 3 days prior to my Fraxel, I had a SilkPeel, but the dr said 2 days prior is ideal.

#18 Loanstar

Loanstar

• Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

How use all getting on anyway with fraxel. Are use seeing any improvements? Ive had three treatments so far, and at the minute cant see any big difference, but im gonna try get at least five treatments and judge it after that. Im hoping to get some kind of results from it. eusa_pray.gif

#19 jjp007

jjp007

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 01 April 2007 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE(subaru @ Mar 31 2007, 11:52 PM) View Post
Anybody know if we could use blue light or red light therapy pre- or post-Fraxel?

Here's a blue/red/violet light pen that helps prevent and treat breakouts:
http://www.drugstore...p...983&tab=1#1

Check out this section of the board

http://www.acne.org/...hp?showforum=49

#20 UnHappenstance

UnHappenstance

• Veteran Members
  • Posts & Likes
About Me

Posted 03 April 2007 - 12:00 AM

hey, I bought some b5 and started using it yesterday and I can already tell a difference I took 3 gs yesterday and 4gs today and pretty much all the milia have dried up. Also though I went from 200 mg of minocyline to 300 mg so maybe that has helped too. I am very happy that this is working though, just hope that it continues to help because I am not able to enjoy the improvements in my skin with dadblasted milia all over the freakin place ya know. So, I will cross my fingers that this continues to work.